Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 45 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  bhabbott

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  1 min ago
 OlafS25:  2 mins ago
 minator:  25 mins ago
 pixie:  46 mins ago
 zipper:  57 mins ago
 Birbo:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 broadblues:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 2)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianK 
Re:Gameplay vs. Graphics
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 13:27:17
#441 ]
Elite Member

@BigD
Quote:
The UK and Europe are being used as a dumping ground to sell all remaining stocks of Sixaxis pads! The Dualshock 3 hasn't even got a fixed UK release date yet!!
IMO again we see Sony treating UK and Europe as a 3rd class citizen. We've seen the delayed launch of the console US first then Europe. We've seen the changes in the console, no hardware b/c for Europe. We've seen the price of the PS3 more expensive for Europe then the USA. Now we see new controllers going to the USA and the controllers people wanted being delayed in Europe. In Europe users flock to Sony still? I suspect the same will be true here. In the end Europe won't care that DS3 controller is delayed. They'll buy the Sixaxis and then flock to the DS3 once it finally makes it to that side of the pond.

Profile     Report this post  
wegster 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 15:42:12
#442 ]
Elite Member

A mini review: Spiderman 3 (PS3)

I've played a few hours so far.

The graphics are OK. The camera views frustrating, often blocking your view of 'yourself' behind a wall. The controls are generally OK, and a lot of combos exist that get unlocked as you play.

Objectives can be hard to determine. There's a map mode that can be pulled up that lets you cycle through different tasks, which then shows that objective on your radar in-game to reach it. However, it's not always apparent what your objective IS once you're in the vicinity. Some of your objectives aren't at ground level, and it's non obvious the path you may need to take to reach the objective, when it seems the objective is 'somewhere inside a building, above you.' A good example is trying to get to the Daily Planet itself..you get near it, then it's non obvious how to actually reach it, as you just have a dot on screen that seems to be - that way, but not on the ground, without much help on reaching it.

Even the Police chain of tasks, you reach the police station, then have to climb up above the PD entrance to get the task assignment. There's a set of skydiving tasks, which sound kinda fun, but a bit of advice on how to get to the top of whatever it is you're supposed to reach to start it, at least an explanation the first time doing each type of task, would be of real use here - again, just non-obvious, so I spent much time _trying_ to go all the way up random buildings, without ever quite figuring out what building or object I was supposed to be heading for.

I'll take a look through the small manual, maybe that will help, but so far, it's more frustrating in figuring out their oddball location/task system than it is fun to play the game.

Zipping around swinging past buildings is fun for a brief while, but doesn't make the game worthwhile by itself.

Maybe my opinion will change with some more time and a look at the manual, but right now, my impression is a game that SHOULD have been good, but isn't so far. Right now, Ultimate Alliance was a lot more fun.

MikeB 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 16:02:37
#443 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

IMO Sony is treating Europe much better than Microsoft does with the 360. Top quality story driven PS3 games published by Sony, like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Heavenly Sword and Resistance: Fall of Man receive full voice over translations in all the main European languages including German, French, Italian, Spanish (Next to English, Chinese and Japanese) and sometimes even less significant minor languages like Scandinavian, Dutch (interesting Dutch performances in Uncharted and Heavenly Sword!) and Portuguese.

They must be doing something right and listening to their European customers as Sony with the PS3 is kicking the 360's butt in Europe. One thing is certainly of importance, "quality"! Nomatter if it's a TV or dish washer, consumers rather seem to prefer to pay some extra for quality. Support is said to be excellent as well, maybe Americans are being screwed by Microsoft, often having to deal with cheap foreign employees lacking deep understanding of your country's native language (Just some food for thought!).

Anyway, next week there will be an important update available. A new store, DTS Master Sound supported (next to Dolby TrueHD and PCM already supported) and a few surprises as well! I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited by MikeB on 10-Apr-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 10-Apr-2008 at 04:03 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 16:23:18
#444 ]
Elite Member

Regarding the Dutch translations Sony hired the Schuurman sisters, a nice fit they have nice voices and even look a bit like Nariko and Kai!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XbVnwmS8wPk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-WNo6YdN8u0

BigD 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 16:32:13
#445 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
IMO Sony is treating Europe much better than Microsoft does with the 360.

You really do sound like a Sony employee ! I own a PS2 (baaa baaa - I know). But, they do make mistakes you know!

Translation for other European countries I can understand would delay software products, however his does not ring true for Dualshock 3 debacle and the watered down PS3 models that have swept up on these fair shores!

Delaying products to Europe consistantly and expecting us to buy antiquated stock for premium prices is shameful! They cannot get away with blaming strong pound/euro currencies as they've been doing this for years! The PS2 was a run away sucess thanks (in the main) to GTA and Rockstar! Who are Rockstar aka DMA Design - a great bunch a British programmers and video game guys based in Edinburgh, Scotland!! SONY PAY THE UK SOME RESPECT YOU ARROGANT MONOLITH!!!

Also see Sony Studio Liverpool (forever Psygnosis) and Sony Studio London (Singstar money spinners) for simmilar UK contributions to the Sony behemoth
The UK are like subserviant slaves working away for Sony's benefit without anythink in return! We can't even make "British" video games (see quirky British humour/wit/ingenuity, e.g. Elite, Dizzy, Jet Set Willy etc) anymore, instead we have to make American style games to give Sony the big bucks!

I for one am holding out for a Dualshock 3 PS3 bundle!!

MikeB 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 16:36:56
#446 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

You can import the DS3 if you really want it that bad (it only adds vibration though...). Europe is a far more diverse market (Sony's biggest market!) than the big US and Japanese markets are and thus involves more planning by the many different European headquarters in Europe. You don't need to be a Sony employee to understand this.

The PS3 hasn't even been released in many countries, Europe doesn't have it that bad.

Last edited by MikeB on 10-Apr-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 10-Apr-2008 at 04:44 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 16:51:36
#447 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

It does take a global strategy department to tell you Europe is low down on Sony's priorities otherwise we would recieve hardware at the same time as the USA. On the software side, the UK has no need for language translations of US software only a PAL conversion. Computer software companies need to rethink their European strategy, especially the UK one! Commodore used to prioritise the UK because it could make a higher profit here. Now companies can still make a higher profit but do not pander to our market at all!!!!

BrianK 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 16:52:15
#448 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

RRoD comes to the PS3?
Many people are complaining in various threads about the 80010514 error. It's a general reset. It appears to be happening to systems that are 1+ years old and out of warranty. Users are being urged to call Sony.

I don't think the problem will be as big or widespread as the 360. But, I do think having another console this generation with such errors will make big news even if it's not.

MikeB 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 16:54:43
#449 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

The UK and Australia is handled by SCEE (Sony Computer Entertainment Europe).

MikeB 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 17:04:45
#450 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

The issue is not widespread, 1 sole case reported on Neogaf (compared to many thousands of RRoD reports there):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256251

I did read the TeamBox reportage, Sony's response:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=131209

BigD 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 17:07:06
#451 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Doesn't make sense does it! Sorry to get political, but the UK has always had more in common with America than Europe - games are no different!

Quote:
You can import the DS3 if you really want it that bad (it only adds vibration though...).

Think you missed the point. I don't own a PS3 and don't plan to until the starter pack contains the items I expected the PS3 to have from day one - Dualshock 3 included!!!

Last edited by BigD on 10-Apr-2008 at 05:13 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 17:14:34
#452 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

It does:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EU#Single_market

BigD 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 17:21:38
#453 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

For goodness sake, I'm aware of the EU. No one said it was unilaterally a great idea for computer games localisation!!! THE UK AND AUSTRALIA HAVE A COMMON LANGUAGE WITH AMERICA NOT EUROPE HENCE IT WOULD MAKE MORE SENSE FOR US (the Ozzies and Brits) TO HAVE A FAST TRACK PAL CONVERSION FROM U.S. TITLES!!!

Stuff the political reasons why it doesn't happen, I'm talking what makes the most sense i.e. COMMON SENSE:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense

....not EU red-tape sense

Last edited by BigD on 10-Apr-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 10-Apr-2008 at 05:22 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 18:52:27
#454 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
The issue is not widespread, 1 sole case reported on Neogaf
If you search the # you'll find many threads from users. GIYF

MikeB 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 19:10:00
#455 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

I know there are around 12 million PS3 owners out there. 0.5% would still be 60.000 affected customers (way below industry standards if that's the only problem. Just 1 such issue reported at NeoGAF shows the problem isn't widespread.

Compare goodle results with:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=360+ROD&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=360+scratching&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=XBox+360+RROD&btnG=Search

_Steve_ 
Posted on 10-Apr-2008 22:50:40
#456 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

I would not consider the scratching issue a related matter to a console failing. The scratching problem only occurred if the machine was moved from horizontal to vertical while it was in use (or potentially with a disk in the drive). Kept horizontal the machine has no issues with scratching at all.

The RRoD also occurs for many different reasons (my first 360 bought in 2006 had one, but that was not a problem with the console itself, rather the HD it came with was faulty - but since it was a new machine, we just took it back and exchanged it and I have not had any trouble with it since (touch wood)).

wegster 
Posted on 11-Apr-2008 0:37:20
#457 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@BrianK

The issue is not widespread, 1 sole case reported on Neogaf (compared to many thousands of RRoD reports there):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256251

I did read the TeamBox reportage, Sony's response:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=131209

1 case, huh?

Read here:
http://gamerevolver.com/article-114-PS3-Error-80010514-explained.html

The original reporter, plus one comment stating he's had the same problem.

That would appear to be at the very least, > 1.

I'd be interested in knowing if there's a way to 'emergency re-flash' the firmware, though.

Last edited by wegster on 11-Apr-2008 at 12:37 AM.

BrianK 
Posted on 11-Apr-2008 5:10:41
#458 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

You sound so defensive. Like the early reports of 360 user failures and others protecting thier console.

Did you read this line from my post?
-I don't think the problem will be as big or widespread as the 360. But, I do think having another console this generation with such errors will make big news even if it's not.-

So I too agree the problem is not as widespread as the 360 problems have been. Arguing as you did that the 360 has problems doesn't exempt the PS3 from it's own report on problems. NeoGAF may be a gaming site but it's one of many and not everyone is on a board or cares to post problems so likely there is more then just the 1 NeoGAF user with issues.

It's okay calm down. Some people are experiencing PS3 problems. I am worried that this will get more press then it deserves because the 360 issues received, and rightly so, it's own bad press.

MikeB 
Posted on 11-Apr-2008 8:07:13
#459 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_

Quote:
The scratching problem only occurred if the machine was moved from horizontal to vertical while it was in use (or potentially with a disk in the drive). Kept horizontal the machine has no issues with scratching at all.

That's not true, extensive professional testing by Dutch consumer protection program Kassa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=513I87Evjuw

The video includes sub titling.

According to one sample, general hardware failure (Red Ring of Death) accounts for about 60% of all 360 hardware failures, DVD drive issues accounts for the bulk of the remaining 40%.

MikeB 
Posted on 11-Apr-2008 8:18:09
#460 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

You're not reading well, I stated 1 issue was reported at NeoGaf, the biggest gaming related forum. So the issue cannot be widespread, people reported on many thousands of RRoD cases.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle