Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 55 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Karlos

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  1 min ago
 Kronos:  6 mins ago
 matthey:  7 mins ago
 pavlor:  10 mins ago
 pixie:  13 mins ago
 retrofaza:  15 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )
PosterThread
fairlanefastback 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Posted on 26-May-2009 14:25:08
#461 ]
Team Member

@Squelch

Quote:

Squelch wrote:
@MikeB

Quote:

Yes, I considered to sponsor the website. I thought it would be look more professional getting the required funding that way.

Why would it look more professional getting the required funding that way?

Indeed, even if that were the truth why does the site need to look "more professional", it is a forum, a portal and little else. It isn't a sales organisation or a company or anything like that.

To me it speaks volumes that the site is funded by the userbase (and unfortunately Google adverts, but the world is used to them).

So long as the staff run the site and moderate it, I see no reason why they should engage any other kind of promotional activity.

Sorry for being off topic moderators, I just couldn't sit on my hands for that one. I look forward to your reply Mike when you return.

I would just ask that if anyone wants to reply to this that you please make a new thread in Free for All for it. Lets keep this thread on-topic.

Amiga 1200

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 26-May-2009 14:48:52
#462 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Ah yes, the trashing of Wegster off-board finally comes to roost back home on Amigaworld.net. If I remember correctly the accusation from you was that he did not do enough of the kind of things you did here and only posted, something you did not see as contribution. Actually the staff is hard at work on an interview with Elbox as we speak if you must know (based on a user request).

Sorry fairlanefastback, but I can't let this go as just a reference to something MikeB has posted, without defending my friend who was attacked.

From Vgchartz, as posted by MikeB:

Quote:
Wegster is a special case, he joined AmigaWold long after me but has nearly twice the post count (so he posted well more than me).I criticized him for doing so little for the website apart from just posting, which he could have done without joining the staff as well. For example in all the years since I left, he only posted 11 (and much less really Amiga related) news stories, while I posted 269 in a shorter time span. He added 0 community links, I added 112, he wrote 0 feature articles and I wrote many dozens (tutorials, show reports, interviews, reviews, etc).

Wegster doing "so little for the website" is absolutely and categorically the biggest load of cr## I have ever read. I won't even dignify this comment by posting my huge list of his accomplishments here. I should know, since I've worked with him for years. If Mike truly does not know what Wegster has been doing for all these years...then all I can say is that Mike is not tapped into the workings of the Amiga community in any way, shape, or form.

The difference is.....
Wegster goes about his business and doesn't always advertise what he's worked on.
Whereas, as all can see from MikeB's post...he's a walking advertisement for what he's contributed.
Don't take this as a slap against Mike's contributions. It's not. It's just a clear statement differentiating how some people toil in private without much fanfare vs others who feel the need to make each bit of their daily minutia known to the public at large.

BrianK 
Posted on 26-May-2009 17:17:02
#463 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

Quote:
Intel, AMD and NVIDIA would like their respective GPUs in the next generation consoles.
Of course they would. Certainly IBM made money this generation by making all 3 of the CPUs. Imagine if NVIDIA could lock in all consoles for their GPU? I doubt NVIDIA/Intel/AMD care who they sell their part to but would, of course, prefer that theirs was in the most selling console.

Lou 
Posted on 26-May-2009 17:31:14
#464 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

If anyone is due to change gpu partners, it's Nintendo. Perhaps Intel will get in the game afterall...

To me ATI didn't do enough to improve the gpu side of Hollywood...though that may also have been Nintendo's fault...

Nintendo seems to have good emulation skills so they could probably emulate a Wii in it's successor. The Dolphin emulator on the PC is already quite competent...I'm sure Nintendo themselves could do better.

Last edited by Lou on 26-May-2009 at 05:35 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 26-May-2009 20:04:18
#465 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
anyone is due to change gpu partners, it's Nintendo. Perhaps Intel will get in the game afterall...
Isn't the 360 more SW dependent than HW dependent? With Direct X I think the ability to change out the GPU HW becomes a bit easier. They have relationships with all 3 companies established.

If Intel wanted to get in the game, say Larrabee, Microsoft would be a good choice from their end. It would seem to me that Larrabee does much of what the Cell does. Combining the 2 might be more powerfuly, in theory, but I'd think a difficult beast to program.

Nintendo seems quite tied to ATI/AMD? Wii and Gamecube were AMD. Certainly IBM has a good relationship with ATI. Also the N64 wasn't that SGI? Didn't most of their GPU guys/girls go to ATI?

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 26-May-2009 22:46:21
#466 ]
Team Member

@all

Sony Plans to Cut Procurement Costs by 20% This Year

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=arj7V0zRLQpA&refer=japan

Quote:
The maker of the PlayStation game machines and Bravia televisions will slash its number of suppliers to 1,200 from 2,500 by March 2011, Mami Imada, a spokeswoman at the Tokyo- based company, said by phone today. Sony, which spent 2.5 trillion yen for procurement last year, has set up a centralized department to negotiate with suppliers, she said.

Quote:
Worse Than Peers

The company had one of the worst operating results for an electronics maker last year, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Sony’s operating loss represented 3 percent of sales, a worse margin than Panasonic Corp., Samsung Electronics Co., Sharp Corp., LG Electronics Inc. and Royal Philips Electronics NV, according to Bloomberg data.

Hopefully this plan will be successful in helping things for them.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 26-May-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Amiga 1200

Lou 
Posted on 26-May-2009 23:29:46
#467 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

New bundle includes 2 games for $399 with 80GB HDD.This will be after E3.
That should help a little...

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 26-May-2009 23:43:02
#468 ]
Team Member

@Lou

I think the big question there would be, what two games is it going to come with...?

Source of info for anyone interested: here

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 26-May-2009 at 11:43 PM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 27-May-2009 14:55:28
#469 ]
Team Member

@all

Sony PS3 Unit Sales Flat Lining and Trending Down

Quote:
Sony’s overall numbers are in with a big annual loss. That means it’s time for one of our periodic looks at the PS3. And while I know the fans won’t like this, the data shows that the trend line of sales is flattening, with a projection showing the start of a unit sales decline this year, even as competitors Microsoft and Nintendo have held up under the recession. That raises the question of how long Sony can keep up its gaming business.

Quote:
If that’s not bad enough, here’s the really scary part for Sony: It is still losing money in games. Sales for the division dropped by 18 percent fiscal year over year. According to the company, much of the fall was due to the appreciating value of the yen, but even then there was an 8 percent slide on a local currency basis. Again, on a fiscal year-over-year basis, although PS3 unit sales were up, PS2 sales, which have helped shore up the division, dropped by over 42 percent. PS3 software was up by 45.8 million units, but PS2 software sales were down by 70.5 million units. That was a one-two punch, and the company attributed much of their loss beyond appreciation of the yen to the PS2 sales slowdown. In other words, the ten year old cash cow is giving up the ghost, and that’s been the driver of revenue. PSP hardware unit sales were up by about 2.2 percent, but PSP software unit sales were down by 9.4 percent.

http://industry.bnet.com/technology/10001736/sony-ps3-unit-sales-flat-lining-and-trending-down/

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 27-May-2009 15:03:42
#470 ]
Team Member

@all

Nintendo Of America Pres: Not Considering Wii Price Cut

Quote:
Don't hold your breath.
That's according to Reggie Fils-Aime, who runs the North America division of Nintendo. The chatter over price cuts comes amid concern that sales of its top-selling console are finally beginning to cool amid a global contraction in consumer spending.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090526-711320.html

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 27-May-2009 15:07:34
#471 ]
Team Member

@all

Rockstar to tell 'Ballad of Gay Tony' in 'GTA IV'

Quote:
will arrive exclusively for the Xbox 360, says a statement from publisher Rockstar Games.
(bold emphasis added by me)

Quote:
"This episode's focus on high-end night life contrasts with the biker gangs portrayed in The Lost and Damned, whilst giving us a lot of new gameplay possibilities."

The Ballad of Gay Tony will sell for 1600 Microsoft points, or $19.99. Rockstar is also releasing both DLC episodes on a retail disc this fall titled Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City for $39.99.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2009/05/67298803/1

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 27-May-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Amiga 1200

Squelch 
Posted on 27-May-2009 15:16:18
#472 ]

Yes, OK, but this is a bit of a one sided discussion now

Lou 
Posted on 27-May-2009 15:31:41
#473 ]
Elite Member

http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/986/986674/e3-2009the-grinder-20090526041952297.jpg

High Voltage Software announes an online 4 player co-op FPS game for the Wii. The art team worked in The Hunter for the Xbox. In this game, you hunt vampires, werewolves and zombies. The AI assumes the role of the other 3 players in single player mode and friends can jump in and out of the game. 4 selectable characters each with different specialities.

They also announced Gladiator A.D., a 300 style fighting game that uses Wii Motion controls for strategic combat.

more info on wii.ign.com

Mod edit: Changed first image to a link as 640 is the maximum width allowed.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 27-May-2009 at 08:35 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 27-May-2009 16:00:22
#474 ]
Team Member

@Squelch

Quote:

Squelch wrote:
Yes, OK, but this is a bit of a one sided discussion now

Amiga 1200

Hammer 
Posted on 29-May-2009 12:25:32
#475 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Link

"According to the PCGA's 2008 Horizon's Report, PC gaming software saw global revenues reach $12.7 billion in 2008, a year-over-year rise of $1.9 billion, or nearly 18 percent. Overall, the study found that the PC software and hardware market stood at $68 billion in 2008, with the PCGA saying that number is expected to balloon to $143 billion by 2013.

The study further found that 42 million PC desktops and 31 million notebooks capable of playing games were shipped during the year; numbers that are expected to grow to 59 million and 118 million, respectively, in five years. Gaming-capable PCs and notebooks were also estimated to be 228 million during the year, and the PCGA estimated the 2013 installed base will grow to 600 million."

It's interesting to note that Sony is a member of PCGA...

Last edited by Hammer on 29-May-2009 at 12:30 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 29-May-2009 13:20:55
#476 ]
Elite Member

I hooked up one of my PC's, my 5.5 year old Athlon 3200 Barton core with 2GB of RAM running an NVidia 5850 AGP card with 256MB of RAM to a new Westage 42" 1080p monitor and let me tell you - World of Warcraft looked great!

PC gaming FTW!

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 29-May-2009 14:59:07
#477 ]
Team Member

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:
I hooked up one of my PC's, my 5.5 year old Athlon 3200 Barton core with 2GB of RAM running an NVidia 5850 AGP card with 256MB of RAM to a new Westage 42" 1080p monitor and let me tell you - World of Warcraft looked great!

PC gaming FTW!

When new titles come out for the PC these days they seem to be about $10 cheaper than the Xbox or PS3 versions. Thats why I got Fallout3 for PC recently.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 29-May-2009 15:00:57
#478 ]
Team Member

@all

Sony Debt Rating Cut by Moody’s; Outlook Is Negative

Quote:
By Nicolas Johnson and Tim Culpan

May 27 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Corp. had its debt rating cut one level with a negative outlook by Moody’s Investors Service on concern slowing demand, increased competition and a stronger yen will erode earnings.

The Tokyo-based maker of Cyber-shot cameras and Bravia televisions had its long-term debt grade reduced to A3 from A2, Moody’s said today in a statement. A3 is the fourth-lowest of the agency’s 10 investment-grade ratings. The reduction affects $18.7 billion in debt, including $6.5 billion of long-term borrowings and 500 billion yen ($5.25 billion) and $7 billion of commercial paper, it said.

“These rating actions reflect Moody’s concern that slowing growth in demand and intensifying competition in major electronics products, as well as the strong yen, will continue to pressure Sony’s profitability,” Moody’s said.

Sony on May 14 forecast a second consecutive loss for the year ending March 31, widening to 120 billion yen from 99 billion yen last year, as the global recession forced it to cut prices of consumer electronics. The company has 144.9 billion yen of corporate bonds due by September next year, according to Bloomberg data.

“It’s unclear to me which business Sony is going to make money from,” said Hiroshi Harada, who manages corporate bonds at Dai-ichi Mutual Life Insurance Co., Japan’s second-largest insurance company. “I’d like to see Sony to make a clear business strategy.” Credit-default swaps on Sony’s debt rose 2.5 basis points to 72.5 at 3:40 p.m. in Tokyo, according to Barclays Plc prices.

Credit-default swaps pay the buyer face value if a borrower defaults in exchange for the underlying securities or the cash equivalent. A basis point, or 0.01 percentage point, on a credit-default swap contract protecting $10 million of debt from default for five years is equivalent to $1,000 a year.

Sony shares added 0.6 percent to close at 2,475 yen in Tokyo, taking the gain this year to 29 percent, compared with a 6.5 percent advance by the benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aXpSpQQivZv4&refer=japan

Amiga 1200

BrianK 
Posted on 29-May-2009 16:20:54
#479 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer & @Lou

Like the PCGA I too feel that the death of PC gaming is false. If anything PCs are moving into the living room, in addition to the office. This makes them an excellent choice for gaming, like the consoles. At the same price PCs have as much power if not more than the PS3 for gaming. And of course if you want to spend a bit more the PC outstrips the console for gaming power. The casual gamer (card and word games for example) have been growing year over year. Certainly MS LIVE on the PC will bring more of these games to the console. It's early in the LIVE on PC product but I think a compelling story. I expect Sony to hook some PC gaming into their PS3 online service.

@fairlanefastback

I agree that Sony's outlook is not bright. I blame Sony for this as they have not communicated a clear vision. The only vision they are bringing right now is cutting manufacturing and jobs. Though E3 may bring something. The 2nd PSP is rumored. (Of course dumping the ill fated UMD). The thin line PS3.

Now I know MikeB has stated in the past that he believes the thin line PS3 will be bring PS3 the win this generation. It may well hurt them in 2009. My reasoning is that consumers won't want the old console so sales will slow until the thin line hits the shelves. With the economy this may be into the early Christmas season. Sony is going to end up dumping 'old' thick PS3s, read an even bigger loss, to make way for the thin line.

Personally I don't find the thin line all that compelling. It's a bit smaller and lighter. But, it's not like I want to carry it around like the PSP or DS. It sits at home. I do realize this is my own point of view. And the market's point of view may well be different. Perhaps the PS3 will sell like hotcakes when the thin line hits. Likely what the thinline will do is allow Sony to snip the price and not take as big of a loss for this in 2010.

Though....2010 is almost the last chance for the PS3. IMO, 2011 will bring Wii2 and Xbox3 news or perhaps even shipping next gen consoles. I think Nintendo would be good to bring the Wii2 out in 2011. I think it'd keep their momentum going.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 29-May-2009 19:27:58
#480 ]
Team Member

@all

Good news I think:

New 'Greatest Hits' Titles for the PLAYSTATION(R)3 System Available June 16

Quote:
six best-selling titles have been added to the "Greatest Hits" library for the PLAYSTATION(R)3 (PS3(TM)) computer entertainment system. Starting June 16, the following games, representing some of the most popular hits on the platform, will be available for $29.99 MSRP: Army of Two, Battlefield: Bad Company, Devil May Cry 4, Gran Turismo(R) 5 Prologue, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, and Ratchet & Clank(R) Future: Tools of Destruction.

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/qp/pr/_a/new-greatest-hits-titles-for-the/rfid217805220

Amiga 1200

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle