Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 50 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Karlos

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  43 secs ago
 Kronos:  6 mins ago
 matthey:  6 mins ago
 pavlor:  9 mins ago
 pixie:  13 mins ago
 retrofaza:  14 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )
PosterThread
fairlanefastback 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Posted on 29-May-2009 19:38:22
#481 ]
Team Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:

Now I know MikeB has stated in the past that he believes the thin line PS3 will be bring PS3 the win this generation. It may well hurt them in 2009. My reasoning is that consumers won't want the old console so sales will slow until the thin line hits the shelves. With the economy this may be into the early Christmas season. Sony is going to end up dumping 'old' thick PS3s, read an even bigger loss, to make way for the thin line.

Personally I don't find the thin line all that compelling. It's a bit smaller and lighter. But, it's not like I want to carry it around like the PSP or DS. It sits at home. I do realize this is my own point of view. And the market's point of view may well be different. Perhaps the PS3 will sell like hotcakes when the thin line hits. Likely what the thinline will do is allow Sony to snip the price and not take as big of a loss for this in 2010.

Though....2010 is almost the last chance for the PS3. IMO, 2011 will bring Wii2 and Xbox3 news or perhaps even shipping next gen consoles. I think Nintendo would be good to bring the Wii2 out in 2011. I think it'd keep their momentum going.

Well I really hope that this slim PS3, if real, ends up being cheaper to make with a price tag that I hope would be at least $100 less. Also Sony better be sure the new design has no flaws, reliability will also need to be very good on any re-design. If they release a slim at the same price or only $50 lower lets say, I don't think that will help much.

For Nintendo I think what might be key is how much bang for the buck can they make a Wii2 at. Meaning, $249 is a good price target to be at. But they'll want to have some new features to show off on any new console. So to me the question is, can they still make a profit at that price on anything new they come out with by 2011/2012.

Amiga 1200

Profile     Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 30-May-2009 12:45:01
#482 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback
Quote:
For Nintendo I think what might be key is how much bang for the buck can they make a Wii2 at. Meaning, $249 is a good price target to be at. But they'll want to have some new features to show off on any new console. So to me the question is, can they still make a profit at that price on anything new they come out with by 2011/2012.

Not sure what this feature would be. Though I would like to see a console have a pack to interact with Lego Mindstorms.

Lou 
Posted on 1-Jun-2009 21:02:59
#483 ]
Elite Member

The hammer has been dropped.

From the mouth of the creator of MSG series:
Quote:
"It's great to be finally standing here on teh Xbox 360 stage. I'm bringing the Metal Gear Solid franchise to Xbox 360. I can confirm that next major release will be called Metal Gear Solid Rising and that development is currently underway for Xbox 360. We can't wait to see what the next game holds for Solid Snake. But I didn't say anything about Solid Snake."

Sell your Sony stock now!

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/01/joystiq-live-from-microsofts-e3-2009-keynote/#continued

Last edited by Lou on 01-Jun-2009 at 09:05 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 2-Jun-2009 0:22:54
#484 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Xbox360 had a 28% gain in the USA this year. The largest out of any console and best sales year. Last year at this time MikeB found the E3 360, and I did too, not very exciting. His outlook was more doom and gloom than me but both of us didn't predict the 360 doing as well as it has. This E3 is much more exciting than E3 of last year. Certainly a good year is ahead for the 360.

BTW- Crackdown is a great sandbox game. I hope Crackdown 2 adds some additional sstories and complexities to an already great game.

E3 Sony rumors -- PSP-Go which has been mentioned here. The PSP without UMD. Supposedly the thin line PS3 may miss E3 and be announced a few months later in Japan. This would allow stock to shrink of the large console. If I was in charge of Sony I'd bring the thin PS3 out. (And consider some price cuts come Aug/Sept)

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Jun-2009 4:45:52
#485 ]
Team Member

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:
The hammer has been dropped.

From the mouth of the creator of MSG series:
Quote:
"It's great to be finally standing here on teh Xbox 360 stage. I'm bringing the Metal Gear Solid franchise to Xbox 360. I can confirm that next major release will be called Metal Gear Solid Rising and that development is currently underway for Xbox 360. We can't wait to see what the next game holds for Solid Snake. But I didn't say anything about Solid Snake."

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/01/joystiq-live-from-microsofts-e3-2009-keynote/#continued

My Sony stock may go down, but I'm glad I own Konami too.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Jun-2009 at 04:46 AM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Jun-2009 4:53:00
#486 ]
Team Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou
If I was in charge of Sony I'd bring the thin PS3 out. (And consider some price cuts come Aug/Sept)

I think a big question will be, will Sony sell the slim at a lower price than current PS3s, or will they sell it at the same price and try to finally make back some money on hardware?

If they planned to have the slim at a lower price point, I would just lower the price on current non-slim stock anyway, get more consoles out there way ahead of Christmas, get the install base up, and get the shelves emptier for the slim sooner (assuming they can produce them quickly).

Amiga 1200

BrianK 
Posted on 2-Jun-2009 12:19:30
#487 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
If they planned to have the slim at a lower price point, I would just lower the price on current non-slim stock anyway, get more consoles out there way ahead of Christmas, get the install base up, and get the shelves emptier for the slim sooner

The question is what would Microsoft's reaction be? If I were Microsoft I'd wait out Sony's loss on the fat console and drop my price at the same time the thin console hit the streets. This would best protect the 360 hardware margins and provide additional pressure for the PS3 going into Christmas, the most important sales season for consoles. Since the launch of the fat PS3 Sony has been trying to redevelop their game market. Clearly being the high priced option was not the market leading position this generation.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 2-Jun-2009 13:31:01
#488 ]

Red Steel 2 is coming for Wii... Absolute Wii Mayhem!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEca5_hvVGs

http://www.wiitalia.it/2009/06/02/red-steel-2-trailer-e3-2009/

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/867131/red-steel-project-untitled-sequel/videos/rsteeldirect_trl_walkthrough_060109.html

Last edited by ErikBauer on 02-Jun-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

Lou 
Posted on 2-Jun-2009 18:56:42
#489 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Metroid Prime: Other M from TEAM Ninja

Boob physics meets Samus Aran at last!

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Jun-2009 20:03:59
#490 ]
Team Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Quote:
If they planned to have the slim at a lower price point, I would just lower the price on current non-slim stock anyway, get more consoles out there way ahead of Christmas, get the install base up, and get the shelves emptier for the slim sooner

The question is what would Microsoft's reaction be? If I were Microsoft I'd wait out Sony's loss on the fat console and drop my price at the same time the thin console hit the streets. This would best protect the 360 hardware margins and provide additional pressure for the PS3 going into Christmas, the most important sales season for consoles. Since the launch of the fat PS3 Sony has been trying to redevelop their game market. Clearly being the high priced option was not the market leading position this generation.

Yes I agree. But regardless Sony would have to hope for the best, that they would attract more folks who have Xbox360 and/or PS2 already where the new price for PS3 would be less painful. They need a bigger install base one way or another. And also if they drop in price enough Blu-ray may seem more like a value-add to some folks.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Jun-2009 20:05:06
#491 ]
Team Member

@all

Sony has priced the new PSP-Go at $249 for the U.S. market. Seems too steep IMHO.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Jun-2009 at 08:05 PM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Jun-2009 21:16:46
#492 ]
Team Member

@all

Some good news for Sony from E3:

E3 2009: Rockstar's PS3 Exclusive Revealed As Agent

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/5239.html
http://tinyurl.com/pg8ysu

The downside on that was nothing was shown of the game itself so its probably only in the early stages of development.

Final Fantasy XIV Online Announced for PS3
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2009/060209c.html

Thats good news. Though as an MMO the question will be, how long would it really stay exclusive.

Amiga 1200

BrianK 
Posted on 3-Jun-2009 1:26:49
#493 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Sony has priced the new PSP-Go at $249 for the U.S. market. Seems too steep IMHO.
The competition has the DSi at $70 less. It does seem again Sony is trying for the high priced approach. Perhaps they think Sony = Apple and they can demand a 20% market up to stamp their specialized font corporate image on the product?

ErikBauer 
Posted on 3-Jun-2009 11:09:12
#494 ]

Sony presents PS3 motion controls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaQsXdKbUw8&hl=it

Looks quite impressive as a first demo.

And it's just what I was hoping for: Wii was the Revolution, now let the Evolution begin!

BrianK 
Posted on 3-Jun-2009 12:37:32
#495 ]
Elite Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:
And it's just what I was hoping for: Wii was the Revolution, now let the Evolution begin!

Sony's controller seems to be a step up from the Wii, more sensitivity, and better tracking. The 360's 'lack' of a controller but full controlability seems to be even more evolutionary. Will users like not having to hold anything? I'm not so sure as you lose a rumble tactile feedback. The PS3 demo appeared less polished. It leaves the question open as to which one will ship first.

Last year I would have picked Sony for the best E3. This year it's Microsoft. Though Nintendo improved over last year as well. However, sales last year were an inverse relationship. I found Nintendo had the least interesting E3 last year yet the best sales.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 3-Jun-2009 13:46:19
#496 ]

@BrianK

I think the only thing could stop Nintendo sells will be another generation of consoles where there will be next market's reset.

There are simply too many excellent Wii games coming this year for a Nintendo's market slowdown.
Btw I'm really happy Microsoft and Sony caught the bounce and responded with something new to Wii's motion based Wiimote. That is the way to go in order to have a true next gen console generation... I can't wait for next 2-3 years to pass and have it in my hand!

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 3-Jun-2009 14:12:44
#497 ]
Team Member

@ErikBauer

Quote:

ErikBauer wrote:
Sony presents PS3 motion controls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaQsXdKbUw8&hl=it

Looks quite impressive as a first demo.

Yeah I have to try to watch this today. I so far only had time to watch the videos for the new Xbox Project Natal. Anyone here know how long Microsoft expects before Natal goes to market BTW?

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 03-Jun-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 3-Jun-2009 15:29:38
#498 ]
Team Member

@all

Some bad news for Sony Corp.:

Quote:
June 2 (Bloomberg) -- Sony Financial Holdings Inc. tumbled the most since it listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange after the Sony Corp. subsidiary announced that the value of its life insurance business fell by more than half last financial year. Analysts cut their ratings.

Quote:
Sony Financial said yesterday after markets closed that its embedded value, an estimate of the insurance business’ worth, fell to 400.9 billion yen ($4.2 billion) for the year ended March 31 from 816.5 billion yen a year earlier, because of a decline in the value of its stock and convertible bond holdings and drops in swap rates.

-LINK-

Amiga 1200

Lou 
Posted on 3-Jun-2009 15:35:58
#499 ]
Elite Member

Sony's conference was quite a let down and one use's comment on the Edge-online site analysis nailed it for me:
Quote:
I thought it was a pretty weak E3 for Sony and they needed to do a lot more to change the dynamics to invigorate the struggling PS3. No price drop (as I speculated previously - probably a TGS announcement), no PS3 slim. The glowy motion wands were downright embarrassing, too much time was spent on PSP (giving the impression of desperation by practially giving away the SDK's) and the fact that the new PSP is $250 shows that Sony still hasn't learned from the mistakes of PS3 regarding price points.

I got the distinct impression that Tretton felt obligated to talk about HOME even though he knew it was an abject failure and waste of millions of dollars and several years of effort. Sony continues to plug an outdated Second Life clone while MS keeps several generations ahead in the online space with the apps people are actually using, and want, today (netflix, facebook, twitter).

Uncharted 2, Last Guardian and God of War 3 all looked great, but only one is coming out this year. Curious ommisions were Heavy Rain, The Agency and the DC MMO they spent so much time on last E3. Gran Turismo wins the vapour ware award this generation with (if I'm not mistaken) it's third consecutive E3 appearance - still without a release date. Forza will probably have it's fourth game out in the time it takes Polyphony to make one outdated game.

Unfortunately for Sony, one of the high points of their presentation was the Assassin's Creed demo and that's multiplatform. The Final Fantasy online-only announcement sounded like a charity concession from Square Enix for going multiplatform with the release people actually want.

Where was the price drop?
Is this "wand" more sensetive than Wii Motion Plus? (probably not or not significant enough)
Where are all the "new" exclusives?
Final Fantasy XIV is not exclusive but debuts on PS3...so what...

I don't think we'll even see Natal this generation. So I think it's a token win in motion control evolution. It also looks pricey.

Nintendo finally gave the hardcore what they wanted:
-Super Mario Galaxy 2
-Golden Sun DS
-Metroid: Other M (from Team NINJA)
-Metroid Prime Trilogy with enhancements to the first 2
-Super Mario Bros Wii with multiplayer
-Wii Motion Plus and WiiSports Resort
-The Coduit
-Red Steel 2
-Final Fantasty Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
-Zelda DS sequel
-user-generated content-based games for the DS/DSi
-Mario & Luigi sequel on DS

All that THIS year...
With promises of a new Zelda for Wii next year and possibly Pikmin 3 as well.

Infact the "2010" term was used quite lightly in Nintendo's conference...

ErikBauer 
Posted on 3-Jun-2009 15:51:46
#500 ]

@Lou

In fact seems that the big N packed two E3 into one.

My poor wallet!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle