Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 72 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  15 mins ago
 zipper:  26 mins ago
 Birbo:  34 mins ago
 Karlos:  53 mins ago
 Frank:  59 mins ago
 broadblues:  1 hr ago
 clint:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /   PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianK 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Posted on 15-Jun-2010 19:03:02
#481 ]
Elite Member

The new stealthXBOX 360 unboxing. About 7min 20 sec it's turned on and the microphone put at various spots. No noteable noise is the result.

Last edited by BrianK on 15-Jun-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 15-Jun-2010 19:48:24
#482 ]
Elite Member

Sony conference to start in less than 15 minutes!

Watch live at:
http://www.youtube.com/e3

MikeB 
Posted on 15-Jun-2010 20:13:36
#483 ]
Elite Member

Killzone 3 rocks, available february 2011, supports both 3D and Move!

Lou 
Posted on 15-Jun-2010 20:27:16
#484 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
Killzone 3 rocks, available february 2011, supports both 3D and Move!

I don't know. When he jumped on the steps with the jetpack and shot the boards off the doorway, the doorframe got shot also but I saw no damage on the frame. Things like that are annoying when you are going for realism. It just shows it's the same tech, just fancier textures.

Sorcery looks fun but it could be a Wii game nothing magical about it. I like I *unique* they claimed the user interface was when I saw it 90 minutes ago during the Zelda demo... lol

Wow, Tiger Woods Golf just like on the Wii but with HD, how orginal.

The guy on stage now is a cornball... Show games already instead of talking about them...

LOL! $80 for a full Move controller set sans EyeToy. Oh yeah, it *might* sell well.
rotflmfao

So other than some camera addon for the PSP for some Pokemon-like game there is no PSP2? ... tisk ...

LBP2 is about the only thing that looks interesting, but who has the time to make quality ugc (user generated content)...

Playstation Plus - blah! I like how you only own the content for the duration of your subscription. Guess it disappears with your membership. Oh boy...

Last edited by Lou on 15-Jun-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 15-Jun-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 15-Jun-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 15-Jun-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 15-Jun-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 15-Jun-2010 at 08:34 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 15-Jun-2010 22:29:32
#485 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Sorcery looks fun but it could be a Wii game nothing magical about it.

I loved the accuracy and speed Playstation Move showed with that game, certainly compared to anything Kinect and Nintendo's Zelda demonstration.

A metal victory was also how Gabe Newell (of all people) made an appearance on stage to announce he was ready to waste his time on the PS3 and announced Portal 2 while saying Poral 2 will be superior on the PS3 compared to the XBox 360 version!

Another clown appeared at the end of the show and OMG the demo was impressive!

Last edited by MikeB on 15-Jun-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 15-Jun-2010 at 10:30 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 1:56:22
#486 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
Sorcery looks fun but it could be a Wii game nothing magical about it.

I loved the accuracy and speed Playstation Move showed with that game, certainly compared to anything Kinect and Nintendo's Zelda demonstration.

LOL take the small victories while you can.
I own WiiSports Resort and WM+ already, I know the truth.

BrianK 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 3:10:50
#487 ]
Elite Member

E3 is usually disappointment to a degree as many things are already known.

Nintendo's show was pretty good. The 3DS looks like a nice upgrade to the DS line. 3DS is the best selling handheld ever. It makes sense to piggyback on it, improve it, allow backwards compatibility without worry of it's disappearing, and still enable new content.

Sony's E3 seemed to be playing catch up with the other kids on the block. The Move demonstrations seemed to be an HD Wii. If it's better the subtleness or importantness was not illustrated. To be fair to Sony it's a hard thing to do. How many times did the PS3 feel the need to compare itself to the 360? Seems Sony developed an inferiority complex moving from first to last. Perhaps that's a good thing people like rooting for the underdog.

Playstation Plus had some good things. Also some questionable one's. Such as you have to pay to leave voice messages to other players? While they can receive them if they didn't pay $50 per year they can't respond by voice. That's free since day 1 on LIVE.

PSP2 powered by Cell rumor was proven to be that. A rumor.

Move pricing is questionable. It'll prove an interesting Christmas to see if the Move or Kinect bring casual users to their respective platforms.

Biggie has it right -- the most motivating story was presented by Microsoft and of course the new slim. While none of the consoles by themselves are a bad choice, if viewing E3 was the final decision point. Microsoft has it.

Lou 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 4:39:50
#488 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
E3 is usually disappointment to a degree as many things are already known.

Nintendo certainly suprised with software both for Wii and 3rd party support for 3DS.

Quote:
Nintendo's show was pretty good. The 3DS looks like a nice upgrade to the DS line. 3DS is the best selling handheld ever. It makes sense to piggyback on it, improve it, allow backwards compatibility without worry of it's disappearing, and still enable new content.

Nintendo are kings of backwards compatibility. Now - HD content on a handheld and a Kinect-like 3D camera, that was full of WIN. I wonder if a 3DS will be used as a Kinect device for Wii...

Quote:
Sony's E3 seemed to be playing catch up with the other kids on the block. The Move demonstrations seemed to be an HD Wii. If it's better the subtleness or importantness was not illustrated. To be fair to Sony it's a hard thing to do. How many times did the PS3 feel the need to compare itself to the 360? Seems Sony developed an inferiority complex moving from first to last. Perhaps that's a good thing people like rooting for the underdog.

Sony felt the need to attempt to belittle the competition despite the fact that I saw no innovation (except for LBP2) and just merely copycat solutions that are more expensive (MOVE & Plus).

Quote:
Playstation Plus had some good things. Also some questionable one's. Such as you have to pay to leave voice messages to other players? While they can receive them if they didn't pay $50 per year they can't respond by voice. That's free since day 1 on LIVE.

I fail to see the good in simply renting content.

Quote:
PSP2 powered by Cell rumor was proven to be that. A rumor.

They are still reeling from the PSPgo....

Quote:
Move pricing is questionable. It'll prove an interesting Christmas to see if the Move or Kinect bring casual users to their respective platforms.

Does Move even have rumble? No speaker like the Wii Remote. Other than an analog trigger, I fail to see any advatages over REL-036(Wii Remote + WM+).

Quote:
Biggie has it right -- the most motivating story was presented by Microsoft and of course the new slim. While none of the consoles by themselves are a bad choice, if viewing E3 was the final decision point. Microsoft has it.

I disagree.
Slim was expected. 3DS was also expected since they actually announced it in March, however, it's revolutionary all over again. Slim is just a mild evolution. Sony played catch-up with MOVE but fell behind with the same old boring PSP. 3D gaming still needs glasses and 3DTV's are not affordable. Sony keeps targetting a market that can't sustain them.
Nintendo wins this one by a length.

MikeB 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 12:17:09
#489 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Nintendo's show was pretty good. The 3DS looks like a nice upgrade to the DS line.

I think the 3DS was the top highlight of this year's E3. Although I still have to try the device myself I am convinced in its capabilities based on hands-on impressions so far. I am very likely to buy one or two when a good mario platformer in the style of New Super Mario Brothers or Mario 64 is released.

I also expect Sony to reveal details on a PSP2 once the 3DS is launched, if it holds up to expectations I'll probably buy one or two of those as well.

But in any case the Nintendo 3DS will not be as powerful as a highend home gaming console as Lou talke about. However it is said to be more powerful than the Wii and PSP, so I think it's obvious both those systems are set for being replaced by more capable systems.

Quote:
The Move demonstrations seemed to be an HD Wii.

Move is certainly inspired by the Wii's popularity, just like popular Wii party games are inspired by Playstation party games such as Eye Sports and Eye Play. The Sorcery game shown at E3 is actually based on ideas from far before Nintendo released the Wii, the wand with spell combinations concept I linked to with a many years old Eyetoy demonstration.

Quote:
How many times did the PS3 feel the need to compare itself to the 360? Seems Sony developed an inferiority complex

It's so funny you would say that when the new XBox model clearly mimics the PS3 with its shiny black casing, touch sensitive buttons and new integrated features. Although it does not by far include all the PS3's hardware features and system performance it does clearly look like a PS3-wannabe!

Quote:
Playstation Plus had some good things.

At least it will include cross game chat, probably the most requested PS3 feature by XBox 360 fanboys. Personally I have no use for this as I have a laptop and iPhone already with which I cannot only chat with people who are playing something entirely else than I am playing, but also with people who aren't using their console at all...

Last edited by MikeB on 16-Jun-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 16-Jun-2010 at 12:19 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 12:23:57
#490 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
I disagree.
Slim was expected. 3DS was also expected since they actually announced it in March, however, it's revolutionary all over again. Slim is just a mild evolution. Sony played catch-up with MOVE but fell behind with the same old boring PSP. 3D gaming still needs glasses and 3DTV's are not affordable. Sony keeps targetting a market that can't sustain them.
Nintendo wins this one by a length.

I think we have different questions here. What I answered was Wii vs P3 vs 360 from the show. I give it to the 360. If I rephrase that to all systems Wii vs PS3 vs 360 vs PSPgo vs 3DS. I give it to the 3DS.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt Sony seemed to be belittling the competition. Bad form.

I know it was 30 seconds but Sony had said 'We can play all these other games' and showed a big picture of games. The 360 for sure and I believe the Wii have more titles to select from. This would have been more impressive had the PS2 backwards compatibility been kept. Sony did more to expose their low game count there. Bad form again. Shows are to show off your strength. They exposed they are behind in gaming content. Not sure why they thought that'd be a win.

Last edited by BrianK on 16-Jun-2010 at 12:28 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 12:36:51
#491 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
It's so funny you would say that when the new XBox model clearly mimics the PS3 with its shiny black casing, touch sensitive buttons and new integrated features.

Imitation is flattery. And the 360 has the features critics were clammoring for so a win.

Saying - We have these games just like the 360 - has more than a hint of an inferiority complex.

That's where I see the difference.

Quote:
Although it does not by far include all the PS3's hardware features
No bluetooth - no a big deal the wireless controllers and add ons work just fine. No Blu-Ray is about the only thing Microsoft is missing.

Quote:
At least it will include cross game chat, probably the most requested PS3 feature by XBox 360 fanboys
Live not only allows cross game chat but no game chat. So you can talk to someone with a free account. It appears if 1 person pays the $50 that's not good enough for Sony they both must pay. A definite difference. $50/year to game with others makes more sense to me than the chat with others.

As for your iPhone and therefore don't need online chat. The iPhone doesn't handle 8 way party chat very well.

Last edited by BrianK on 16-Jun-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 12:51:16
#492 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@BrianK

[quote]But in any case the Nintendo 3DS will not be as powerful as a highend home gaming console as Lou talke about. However it is said to be more powerful than the Wii and PSP, so I think it's obvious both those systems are set for being replaced by more capable systems.

Well, Kid Icarus looked like it could be a full hq Nintendo Wii game and it's a launch title for the 3DS. We didn't even see what the 2nd screen was for, iirc. So the 3DS can produce at minimum Wii (480p) graphics on the top screen plus have more graphics on another screen. Nintendo annouces that it will play 'hd' movies. If Sony can shrink a Cell into a PSP, why can't Nintendo, with the publicly listed amount they've spent on R&D over the last 5 years, make a handheld capable of HD content.

Wii's main board in 2006 is only slightly larger than 1 shell of the 3DS. Throw in multiple cores on the same die and you can easily see where this claim comes from.

A quad-core ARM running at 1GHz can produce HD content. Heck my single core 729MHz Wii plays DVD movies without a hiccup. Even in 1998, my 700MHz Athlon-powered PC was decoding DVD and emulating a PS1 at higher resolutions using !bleem.
You may find this hard to believe, but the HD consoles are over-powered on the cpu, and it's their gpus that are the limiting factor in games. When properly done, Cell and assist RSX, as we've all seen...but generally speaking that is why 360 games, for the most part, look better than PS3 games...and why Wii can look last gen.

With NVIDIA powering the 3DS, I don't think HD graphics will be an issue on the 3DS. I don't think we'll here you trash talking NVIDIA, MikeB, lest you trash talk your own PS3...

MikeB 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 12:58:11
#493 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
What I answered was Wii vs P3 vs 360 from the show. I give it to the 360.

Most seem to agree (even the bulk of the US gaming press) the Microsoft presentation was underwhelming compared to the competition.

The emphasis was fixed on Kinect, but it is so laggy I can easily understand why Sony preferred to use the technically much faster Playstation Eye approach instead of using this technology they did consider (the PS3 does sport much better processing capabilities to handle this kind of uses than the XBox 360).

I am going to buy Playstation Move (probably with Heroes on the Move [Jak is back!] and the new Ape Escape designed specifically for this device), a 3DTV I will probably wait with as I said in the past I expect that a couple of years from now HDTV solutions without the requirement of glasses will materialize and become affordable.

Shown PS3 games I am sure to get:

Killzone 3 (most anticipated game for me by far!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRYO8NrlejQ

LittleBigPlanet 2 (it will be like buying 1000 games in one!):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9JmVZTE0As
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0T5l24JL0

Motorstorm: Apocalypse (My type of racing game and wow at the Cell processors getting some good use with those collapsing buildings!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ0WK5ADVe0

Twisted Metal (Never played a Twisted Metal game before, but WTF!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6JQzmsdBmM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkiokqW09Pk

For me clearly the Sony conference was the best with regard to games!

Last edited by MikeB on 16-Jun-2010 at 01:09 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 12:59:21
#494 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
If Sony can shrink a Cell into a PSP, why can't Nintendo, with the publicly listed amount they've spent on R&D over the last 5 years, make a handheld capable of HD content
I agree HD content is not hard today. Most ARM can handle 720p. Several can handle 1080p. If they're using the Nvidia Tegra2 for the 3DS they have some great hardware for a gaming platform.

MikeB 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 13:02:06
#495 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
I don't think we'll here you trash talking NVIDIA, MikeB, lest you trash talk your own PS3

WTF are you talking about you little extremist? You sound as if you made the 3DS and I am not allowed to join the fun or something!

What is wrong with you?

Last edited by MikeB on 16-Jun-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 13:13:51
#496 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
I don't think we'll here you trash talking NVIDIA, MikeB, lest you trash talk your own PS3

WTF are you talking about you little extremist? You sound as if you made the 3DS and I am not allowed to join the fun or something!

What is wrong with you?

What are you talking about? You were the one who questioned it's ability for HD gaming. It easily has more cpu power than the Wii and it doesn't take much more than that with a more modern 3D core than the Wii to do HD visuals.

Recall, NVIDIA is powering the 3DS.

MikeB 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 13:23:41
#497 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
What are you talking about? You were the one who questioned it's ability for HD gaming.

Of course it doesn't do HD gaming. Games will be 400x240 for the upper screen and 320x240 for the lower screen. I asked you before, why would you want HD gaming on screens that small?

Quote:
NVIDIA is powering the 3DS.

But why such strange comments about me bashing NVIDIA? Seriously WTF?

You sound so often very radical, angry, confused and hostile. Why is this the case?

BigD 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 14:02:49
#498 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Twisted Metal (Never played a Twisted Metal game before, but WTF!)

I loved Twisted Metal 2: World Tour & Twisted Metal: Black! I cried into my beer when Twisted Metal Head On: Extra Twisted was only released in the U.S.A! Now we get PS3 Twisted Metal!!!

I think that's just swung it in the PS3's favour again. Regarding the new 500gb SKU bundles; will we be able to buy the bundles without the Move gimmick? I would rather a regular game and PlayTV myself. Will that be an option?

Last edited by BigD on 16-Jun-2010 at 02:05 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 14:16:12
#499 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
Lou Wrote: Quote:
NVIDIA is powering the 3DS.

But why such strange comments about me bashing NVIDIA? Seriously WTF?

You sound so often very radical, angry, confused and hostile. Why is this the case?

Nothing you wrote sounds radical, angry, confused, or hostile.

BigD 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 14:59:54
#500 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Make it a PlayTV2 bundle

Link

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle