Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 50 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  gryfon,  Birbo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  2 mins ago
 Birbo:  3 mins ago
 gryfon:  3 mins ago
 bhabbott:  8 mins ago
 minator:  32 mins ago
 pixie:  54 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 broadblues:  1 hr 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 2)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
PosterThread
Interesting 
Re:Gameplay vs. Graphics
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 3:55:12
#521 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@BrianK

Microsoft says Xbox sales beat Sony PS3 in March

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) said on Thursday it sold 262,000 Xbox 360 game consoles in the United States in March, regaining its lead over Sony Corp's (6758.T)(SNE.N) PlayStation 3 as supply constraints eased.

Link to story

Looks like Sony has their work cut out for them!

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 7:40:40
#522 ]
Elite Member

@Interesting

The gap was 5K and thus less than 1% of total 360/PS3 saleas, January and February gaps were much greater to the advantage of the PS3. A slow month for the PS3 with no major game releases for North America, Gran Turismo 5: Prologue launched in Europe but the US version was only just released.

Still a 98% increase in PS3 sales for the US compared to last year. Everything should be fine when Metal Gear Solid 4 releases later this year in June.

The more noteworthy sales were Wii and DS sales, both topping 700K for the month! Wow!

Lou 
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 12:04:01
#523 ]
Elite Member

Wii almost tripled PS3 and 360 sales individually.
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10038&Itemid=2
Quote:

The Nintendo Wii sold an astonishing 721,000 units during the five-week retail period in the US in March, more than doubling hardware sales for competing home consoles, research firm NPD Group reported Thursday.

NPD analyst Anita Frazier said that the Wii captured "the highest single month unit sales of any platform outside the holiday timeframe," thanks to improved supply and the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii, which sold 2.7 million units in the US during the month

Total game industry sales (console hardware, software and accessories) were up 57 percent to $1.7 billion.

"You'd never know that the U.S. economy was under distress by looking at the videogames industry sales figures. Year-to-date growth is a rock-solid 27 percent through March 2008," said Frazier.

Analyst Jesse Divnich with research firm EEDAR said Wii hardware sales will likely stay in the 600,000 to 700,000 unit range over the next couple of months as Nintendo supports the big upcoming first-party titles, Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii.

DS sales rounded out Nintendo's hardware dominance, as better supply and more promotional activity drove sales to 698,000 units for the month. Frazier expects DS demand to continue to be strong through the summer months.

Microsoft's Xbox 360 sold 262,000 units, just edging out the PlayStation 3, which sold 257,000 units during the month.

Microsoft said earlier this year that it had been struggling with hardware supply issues, although now supply appears to be back to normal. The PS3 managed to outsell Xbox 360 in January and February this year.

"March has proven that the PS3, Xbox 360 and the Wii can co-exist perfectly together," said Divnich.

Frazier added, "Across hardware, software, and accessories, the Wii contributed the most to total industry sales, representing 31 percent of total industry dollars for the month."

In addition, Sony's PSP handheld sold 297,000, while the PS2 sold 216,000

Overall hardware sales were $551.3 million, up 46 percent year-on-year.

Software sales nearly doubled those of hardware, as titles such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and Army of Two drove sales to $945.6 million, up 63 percent.

Super Smash Bros. was the top-seller, as it sold to 31 percent of the Wii installed base, according to Frazier. Compared to last March, she said that twice as many SKUs achieved sales in excess of 100,000.

Accessory sales were up 58 percent to $220 million, driven by sales of Xbox Live points and subscription cards, along with the PS3 wireless controller.

NPD's top-selling games for March (*Includes bundles, spec eds.)

WII SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL; NINTENDO OF AMERICA; Mar-08--2.7M
360 *TOM CLANCY'S RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 2; UBISOFT; Mar-08--752.3K
360 ARMY OF TWO; ELECTRONIC ARTS; Mar-08--606.1K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE; NINTENDO OF AMERICA; Feb-07--409.8K
PSP GOD OF WAR: CHAINS OF OLYMPUS; SONY; Mar-08--340.5K
PSP CRISIS CORE: FINAL FANTASY VII; SQUARE ENIX INC; Mar-08--301.6K
WII GUITAR HERO III: LEGENDS OF ROCK; ACTIVISION; Oct-07--264.1K
360 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K8; TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE; Mar-08--237.1K
360 *CALL OF DUTY 4: MODERN WARFARE; ACTIVISION; Nov

SSBB sold to 31% of all Wii owners in the US and I still haven't bought my copy...
Next up is Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii which means the Wii will sell atleast 2/3 of a million units in each of the following 2 months. March was a 5 week month.
With Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii out in the first half of the year, I am really curious as to what Nintendo has up it's sleeve for the last quarter of the year........................hmmm...........................................

Please note that sales of Guitar Hero 3 continue to lead all other platforms on the Wii....but remember, 3rd parties can't sell games on the Wii...

Meanwhile last week in Japan, Monster Hunter continues to breathe life into the PSP:
PSP - 85,721
Nintendo DS - 47,158
Nintendo Wii - 46,296
PlayStation 3 - 8,232
PlayStation 2 - 6,834
Xbox 360 - 1,147

01. Mario Kart Wii (Wii, Nintendo) - 594,000 / New
02. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP, Capcom) - 222,000 / 1,590,000
03. Musou Orochi: The Evil King Returns (PS2, Koei) - 56,000 / 283,000
04. Wii Fit (Wii, Nintendo) - 31,000 / 1,865,000
05. Pokémon Ranger: Batonnage (DS, Nintendo) - 30,000 / 436,000
06. Tottado! Yowiko's Deserted Island Life (DS, Bandai-Namco) - 26,000 / 65,000
07. Pro Baseball Spirits 5 (PS2, Konami) - 22,000 / 102,000
08. Star Ocean 2: Second Evolution (PSP, Square-Enix) - 18,000 / 108,000
09. Deca Sporta (Wii, Hudson) - 17,000 / 133,000
10. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, Nintendo) - 14,000 / 1,563,000

Oh and the Wii outsold the PS3 5.6:1... Meanwhile the 360 gets closer to 1000 units sold per week...

Last edited by Lou on 18-Apr-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 18-Apr-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 18-Apr-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Gleng 
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 12:16:50
#524 ]

@Lou

Anyone here playing Mario Kart Wii online at all? I've been doing little else since it was released last Friday.

Lou 
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 13:06:27
#525 ]
Elite Member

@Gleng

I've been slow to buy Wii games since Christmas. Too much World of Warcraft, lol.
At somepoint I should add my friend code to my sig. I guess...

Lou 
Graphics
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 13:14:34
#526 ]
Elite Member

Interesting tech demo for an upcoming Wii FPS game:
http://kotaku.com/381254/can-a-wii-game-really-look-this-good

It seems some people may finally be coming to grips with the unique features of the Hollywood's TEV unit...

From the IGN article:
Quote:

What is perhaps more intriguing is that High Voltage has built a custom engine designed to really push the Wii hardware's graphic capabilities. The game-maker's "Quantum3" game engine brings polish to The Conduit by way of a "full 16-TEV stage material pipeline using up to eight texture sources and a host of innovative blend operations."

In short, it allows the developer to create graphic effects normally seen on other consoles with vertex and pixel shaders – specifically, dynamic bump-mapping (via tangent space normals or embossing), reflection and refraction (via real-time cube or spherical environmental maps), light / shadow maps, projected texture lights, specular and Fresnel effects, emissive and iridescent materials, advanced alpha blends, light beams / shafts, gloss and detail mapping, seamless resource streaming, projected shadows, heat distortion and motion blur, interactive water with dual-wave channels and complex surface effects, animated textures, and more. Readers may not know what all this technical jargon means – that's not the problem. The problem is that too many Wii developers don't know what it means, either. (Zing?)

"We think it's a real shame that publishers and developers aren't taking advantage of the technical possibilities of the Wii platform. Most Wii games don't even look as good as the later day PS2 titles and that's a real slap in the face to consumers," seconds Kerry Ganofsky, CEO and founder, High Voltage Software. "We believe that third-party developers need to step up to the plate and deliver. The Wii platform is capable of a lot more than what consumers have seen so far. We're hoping to raise a new bar."
Nofsinger takes it a step farther. "Most of the games on the Wii look like crap. We want to change that, so we've invested heavily in our Wii tech over the past year. We have real-time normal mapping, reflection and refraction, post process full screen effects, real-time shadows, projected lights and textures, specularity and fresnel effects, emissive and iridescent materials, interactive water, morphing, and much more all running with a rock solid frame rate on the Wii. Our goal is to be the most technically innovative Wii developer on the planet."

Last edited by Lou on 18-Apr-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 18-Apr-2008 at 04:50 PM.

wegster 
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 17:30:09
#527 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@wegster

I think anyone with a normal IQ can see why I posted a few links and statements with regard to Resistance. You out of the blue stated your repetitive: "I still don't think Resistance was the 'great' game you made it out to be" once again.

Again demonstrating you cannot accept my opinion on this game. Clearly IGN reviewers think it's a "killer app" and even "screams must play". I think they are probably the most widely respected online games website, so it's not strange that I quote them in support of my views in reply to any cheapshots on your part.

Give me a break, Mike. My full quote was:

Quote:
I still don't think Resistance was the 'great' game you made it out to be, but it was fun, and I'm sad it was stolen along with my first PS3. I may yet pick up a used copy of Resistance to replace it, and will likely be getting Resistance 2.

So, what you then go on to say is somehow it's ok for you to respond any time you disagree with someone, but it's not ok for someone to disagree with your excessive spammy 'ads' in nearly all of your responses? Oh yes, and somehow, my disagreement, which in the above case, wasn't even very strong, if you bother to read it, instead of what seems to be your typical kneejerk reaction of 'must spam with more links,' is then 'a cheap shot,' while you continue the same behavior over and over? I accepted your opinion, but as you make your own opinion on it known any time someone doesn't agree, I did the same, but in a much less spammy fashion.

*shrug* If you instead left others opinions with a single response (yes, with whatever links you'd like to give), instead of the never-ending ad campaign or implying cheapshots, or derailing into your opinions yet again of moderation, etc..., these threads might actually be more interesting and less annoying now and then.

So, sorry, as long as anyone is allowed to post their opinion, they will do so. Want people to stop disagreeing with you so vehemently at times? Stop posting the same thing over and over every time someone has even a slightly different opinion than yourself.

I'm still buying R2, but not R1 again for > $30 used.

wegster 
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 17:35:46
#528 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=26965

LOL, really funny. They are starting to act like clowns. Also for every NPD report in 2008 they claim hardware shortages are the reason for being outsold, while in fact people are reporting 360s in stock at nearly all US retailers....

I doubt it's only MS here 'acting like clowns.' Sony and MS both have vested interests in portraying whatever the numbers are in the most positive light, or in justifying them. No real surprise there.

Why you go out of your way to point out when PS3 sales > 360, without mentioning the same thing, though, and keep on on 'only when MS discusses numbers, they're 'acting like clowns,' is certainly telling.

I don't really care much either way, as neither company is very trustworthy, and each has their own issues, but if 360 outsold PS3, so be it. 'Justifying' those numbers each time simply makes it seem like you're playing the same 'games' you accuse MS of.

And yes, the 'attach rate' IS sort of lame/skewed, IMO as well - for reasons stated. Is there an attach rate broken down over the same period of time for both PS3 and 360? (I don't mean by changing based on time difference of availability, but across same period PS3 was for sale, titles sold there for each console / number of consoles, or similar..)?

Either way - what are the totals to date in US across all 3 consoles now? I'm certain you have that link? (being serious)

MikeB 
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 22:12:44
#529 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Look, I think Resistance: Fall of Man is a great game and you don't. You made it look like I am one rare individual who thinks so or was just hyping it up or something. IMO the links and quotes add creditability to my statements. It was not an ad: "a paid announcement, as of goods for sale, in newspapers or magazines, on radio or television, etc."

IMO that's a personally tainted cheap shot. IMO as a moderator you should set a better example. IMO let's leave it at that, you're too repetitive with this approach.

Last edited by MikeB on 18-Apr-2008 at 10:13 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 22:19:35
#530 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quote:
Sony and MS both have vested interests in portraying whatever the numbers are in the most positive light, or in justifying them.

On that I agree, however they went the extra mile. The 360 has been overtaken by the Wii and despite the 1 year and 5 months headstart the PS3 has already overtaken the 360 in most European countries and is still outselling the 360 after a large pricecut.

A better approach would be for them to come up with reasonable statements.

Lou 
Posted on 18-Apr-2008 23:26:47
#531 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@wegster

Quote:
Sony and MS both have vested interests in portraying whatever the numbers are in the most positive light, or in justifying them.

On that I agree, however they went the extra mile. The 360 has been overtaken by the Wii and despite the 1 year and 5 months headstart the PS3 has already overtaken the 360 in most European countries and is still outselling the 360 after a large pricecut.

A better approach would be for them to come up with reasonable statements.

...and Japan, but it's got a tough fight ahead of itself in the US.
I wouldn't call GTA4 the make or break title, no, it's MSG. If they can't double 360 sales when that releases, expect to see a 360 version announced...too much money was spent on that game that if sales don't hit 2M+, Konami will have no choice...

MikeB 
Posted on 19-Apr-2008 0:53:22
#532 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

A MGS4 port to the 360 is very unlikely nomatter what, the game would do much worse on the 360 and there are too many hardware limitations, most importantly storage limitations.

The biggest fans will buy a PS3 and won't wait for a distant future 360 version with huge technical sacrifices.

I agree MGS4 is a very imporant game, however its importance for Japan is dwarfed by the importance of Final Fantasy. I think many Japanese would rather buy a slimline PS3, like is the case for the PSP.

MikeB 
Posted on 19-Apr-2008 20:56:55
#533 ]
Elite Member

An interesting IGN poll, over 1 million votes (I wonder why I haven't heard about this poll before!):

Who do you think should win in the next-generation console race?
1) PlayStation 3 - 501435
2) Wii - 325539
3) Xbox 360 - 231531

I guess IGN readers / voters are mostly from the US (360's by far strongest market) and if the poll is representative enough, I guess things are looking fine for the PS3 for the long run. IMO the 360 does not stand a chance to beat the PS3 for Europe and not by a long shot for Japan.

http://www.n4g.com/gaming/News-136633.aspx

I do think "casual" gamers are less likely to vote though, so the real market opinion is probably more to the advantage of the Nintendo Wii at this point, however the PS3 is attractive in its own way to some kinds of casual gamers as well and a cheaper slimline PS3 will be more attractive at some point for most such gamers.

jiyong 
Posted on 20-Apr-2008 13:24:49
#534 ]
Cult Member

@steve

I know I was asked to take this into PM, but I think I have to make a stand here.
I want this whole BS from Lou to end. Yes, I'm quite aggressive with Lou, but I would say I have a lot of reasons for that. When someone just keeps telling lies and spread FUD and also admits he is just throwing me some bones for his own internal laughter, I would say that is a violation of the TOS.

I would say this community needs to know where the moderators stand on this one.
And it isn't the first time Lou and I clash, so probably it won't be the last if nothing changes.

@Lou

Quote:
What are my "claims"?

I could go back as far as your ridiculous "predictions" for X-Mas 2007 and 2008, but I will focus on one here, that you actually failed to answer last time.

Quote:
There is no discussion here, it's just the usual - I make a comment about Sony you don't like and you defend them like your grandfather started the company by putting words in my mouth and having quasi-delusional aspirations for PS3 world domination.

Like I said before, read my posts and show where I had "quasi-delusional aspirations for PS3 world domination".

And in answer to your post:

Me:
Quote:
Now you better back up your claim I tried to point out you were saying "3D games are not possible on the PS3"

You:
Quote:
Please quote me where I say this rather than continue your propaganda...

If you had properly read the quoted text in your own reply, you could never have written the quote above.

I'll repeat your own text:
Quote:
Just as you say I said you called all developers lazy, you are saying that I am saying 3D games are not possible on the PS3.

And it seems you never read my posts, but only refer to them in a ridiculous way.

Quote:
The system is irrevalent, but ofcourse you desired to go on a tirade about how infinity is possible behind the power of the PS3 and it's "lame" developer's faults, meanwhile you've developed nothing yourself to understand why some things have limits...

Let me ask you a question. Are you a coder?

I never said ALL games are possible in 1080p60 on the PS3. I have already pointed this out before, but for some reason you keep coming back to that delusional thought of yours.

And to answer your question, no, I'm not a coder. But does that make any difference? I could ask you the same. But I am in touch with a coder who has developed for several consoles and handhelds and that even goes back as far as the Amiga.

Quote:
This "caveat" is implied. Again, you continue to show a lack of ability to read into things. That's your short-coming, not mine.

Oh right, so it's you who decides if I should read into things or not? When I read into your statement about Bejeweled, you were not happy. Make up your mind Lou.

Quote:
All your "discussions" become abrasive. Just look at your prior one with BrianK.

Hmmm, that would imply I only have discussions with BrianK and you, or I really would have a lot of enemies here.

It's not nice to publish PM's out in the public, but I want to share one example with you.

BrianK was trying to point out that the Cell was not designed exclusively with gaming calculations in mind. This is true, but I argued that you can potentially do a lot of gaming calculations on the Cell.

BrianK didn't agree with my statement and told me that gaming calculations are diverse and that the math is different. So first is where he had to admit that according to the explanations on the IBM website that some gaming calculations were part of the design goals for the Cell, like for example physics. I can't remember the whole list.

After that BrianK threw AI as an example at me and telling me that the math between the listed design goals for the Cell and for instance AI were different. BrianK also claimed he is quite knowledgeable in math, but he failed to see that AI can be achieved through matrices, which happened to be one of the design goals of the Cell too.

So why was it that I, as a layman, had to point that out to BrianK? Of course it didn't fit into his propaganda, but I would say this clearly shows he wasn't discussing with an open mind. Because even after that he kept coming back with the same old song that the calculations were diverse and that the math was different and one example like AI didn't change much in the grand scheme of things.

Now my advice to you Lou, keep an open mind and actually read the posts from others and preview your own posts. For some reason you can't even remember what you wrote yourself, or it could be you didn't mean to write it, but that you had too much adrenaline flowing inside of you. That would explain the exaggerations. Or it could be you really are just a troll.

Quote:
Your opinion of me is as important to me as the current price of tea in China.

For some reason it doesn't show. For some reason you always want to have the last word.

BrianK 
Posted on 20-Apr-2008 14:54:14
#535 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

Quote:

BrianK was trying to point out that the Cell was not designed exclusively with gaming calculations in mind. This is true, but I argued that you can potentially do a lot of gaming calculations on the Cell.

BrianK didn't agree with my statement and told me that gaming calculations are diverse and that the math is different. So first is where he had to admit that according to the explanations on the IBM website that some gaming calculations were part of the design goals for the Cell, like for example physics. I can't remember the whole list.

After that BrianK threw AI as an example at me and telling me that the math between the listed design goals for the Cell and for instance AI were different. BrianK also claimed he is quite knowledgeable in math, but he failed to see that AI can be achieved through matrices, which happened to be one of the design goals of the Cell too.

So why was it that I, as a layman, had to point that out to BrianK? Of course it didn't fit into his propaganda, but I would say this clearly shows he wasn't discussing with an open mind. Because even after that he kept coming back with the same old song that the calculations were diverse and that the math was different and one example like AI didn't change much in the grand scheme of things.

JIYONG -- you continue to lie and mischaracterize discussions. Now I'm not sure if you really are doing this because you don't truly grasp the depth of arguements or just trolling along for fun. I asked you repeatedly to keep me out of your world. And I've gladly returned the favor.

As requested by you you've been reported.

This thread is for gaming not attacking others but for some reason in something you feel you have to commit attacks and lie (either willfully or through ignorance). Get back to discussing consoles.

Last edited by BrianK on 20-Apr-2008 at 04:48 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 20-Apr-2008 15:29:10
#536 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

Quote:

The main design goal for the Cell was to produce around a tenfold increase in performance for nearly all applications. (Source: IBM) This of course includes multi-media and games purposes and is the main interest of Sony.

The only way to achieve such exponential results was to break away from legacy approaches and such new technology results in new challenges (especially porting legacy software). Similar to how the Amiga was very different when it was released.

Insomniac points to SPEs for potential of improved AI as well as being able to do more things simultaneously. Some devs may experience troubles porting their legacy AI code to the Cell, but scientists are using the Cell to mimic parts of the human brain. To state the Cell isn't suitable or capable for doing good AI is false, to state it may introduce significant challenges to many games developers who will have to work with how they implemented their legacy game engines is probably true.

Lou 
Posted on 20-Apr-2008 21:12:43
#537 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

Quote:

jiyong wrote:
@steve

I know I was asked to take this into PM, but I think I have to make a stand here.
I want this whole BS from Lou to end. Yes, I'm quite aggressive with Lou, but I would say I have a lot of reasons for that. When someone just keeps telling lies and spread FUD and also admits he is just throwing me some bones for his own internal laughter, I would say that is a violation of the TOS.

I would say this community needs to know where the moderators stand on this one.
And it isn't the first time Lou and I clash, so probably it won't be the last if nothing changes.

@Lou

Quote:
What are my "claims"?

I could go back as far as your ridiculous "predictions" for X-Mas 2007 and 2008, but I will focus on one here, that you actually failed to answer last time.

Quote:
There is no discussion here, it's just the usual - I make a comment about Sony you don't like and you defend them like your grandfather started the company by putting words in my mouth and having quasi-delusional aspirations for PS3 world domination.

Like I said before, read my posts and show where I had "quasi-delusional aspirations for PS3 world domination".

And in answer to your post:

Me:
Quote:
Now you better back up your claim I tried to point out you were saying "3D games are not possible on the PS3"

You:
Quote:
Please quote me where I say this rather than continue your propaganda...

If you had properly read the quoted text in your own reply, you could never have written the quote above.

I'll repeat your own text:
Quote:
Just as you say I said you called all developers lazy, you are saying that I am saying 3D games are not possible on the PS3.

And it seems you never read my posts, but only refer to them in a ridiculous way.

Quote:
The system is irrevalent, but ofcourse you desired to go on a tirade about how infinity is possible behind the power of the PS3 and it's "lame" developer's faults, meanwhile you've developed nothing yourself to understand why some things have limits...

Let me ask you a question. Are you a coder?

I never said ALL games are possible in 1080p60 on the PS3. I have already pointed this out before, but for some reason you keep coming back to that delusional thought of yours.

And to answer your question, no, I'm not a coder. But does that make any difference? I could ask you the same. But I am in touch with a coder who has developed for several consoles and handhelds and that even goes back as far as the Amiga.

Quote:
This "caveat" is implied. Again, you continue to show a lack of ability to read into things. That's your short-coming, not mine.

Oh right, so it's you who decides if I should read into things or not? When I read into your statement about Bejeweled, you were not happy. Make up your mind Lou.

Quote:
All your "discussions" become abrasive. Just look at your prior one with BrianK.

Hmmm, that would imply I only have discussions with BrianK and you, or I really would have a lot of enemies here.

It's not nice to publish PM's out in the public, but I want to share one example with you.

Now my advice to you Lou, keep an open mind and actually read the posts from others and preview your own posts. For some reason you can't even remember what you wrote yourself, or it could be you didn't mean to write it, but that you had too much adrenaline flowing inside of you. That would explain the exaggerations. Or it could be you really are just a troll.

Quote:
Your opinion of me is as important to me as the current price of tea in China.

For some reason it doesn't show. For some reason you always want to have the last word.

Kid, you're not worth it.
You still failed to quote me and continue to put words in my mouth, got yourself reported by another user and continue a hostile attitude and can never admit you just don't understand what was written but read into everything as an attack...on Sony...which I still fail to see what is has to do with you personally.

I am not here degrading Sony, I am here posting my opinions of the PS3, 360 and Wii. What does that have to do you and why do you take it so personally? You really need a new hobby.

zerohero 
Posted on 20-Apr-2008 22:47:33
#538 ]
Team Member

@jiyong (, Lou and possibly others)

You've had a warning already, so why didn't that warning help? I'll be wanting a very good reason for why you ignored a request from staff? Please PM me those reasons and I promise to tell you why you're restricted from posting. Does that sound OK?

No more of this childish crap...

Best regards,
Joachim Birging

AW.Net Moderator

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Apr-2008 16:34:20
#539 ]
Elite Member

Wow ToAks has a huge PS3 games collection! 52 Blu-Ray games and 68 PSN games! The only game I own and he doesn't is Oblivion.

Check out the ratings, PS2 game compatibility list and other info on his site, nice to see someone at AmigaWorld has a similar taste in games, Resistance: Fall of Man, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, Warhawk and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune some games I own he gives top ratings.

He likes Motorstorm (maybe a bit hard though he states, I completed the game though , 1st on all races!). Top rating for Super Ruba Dub? Heh, I am not the only Amigan who enjoyed this game! Good score for Lair as well (BTW a new patch, including analog stick support is available for those who prefer this).

http://toaks.kicks-ass.net/

Last edited by MikeB on 21-Apr-2008 at 04:35 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Apr-2008 19:17:57
#540 ]
Elite Member

First in a series of Insomniac Q&As:

"That a triple-A games studio would start sharing presentations and resources that it created when getting to grips with the PS3 is surprising, but that it would then start sharing code as well is unprecedented. We caught up with Mike Acton, Insomniac's engine director, to discuss the initiative in depth.

Why did you go to all the effort of setting up the Nocturnal intiative?

We really wanted to contribute back to the industry. That's always been in the Insomniac philosophy, and from a tech and tools team point of view we wanted to do something very specific. Like I've said many times, we're all here standing on the shoulders of the giants that came before us, so we feel it's our responsibility to give back.

Do you have any goals you'd like to achieve with Nocturnal?

We'd like it to be bigger. I think the ultimate goal, more so than just momentum and it building up over time, is to encourage developers to do the same thing - if not through our Nocturnal mission, if not through us, if they do it from their own sites or do it from GDC or whatever, if we can contribute in some way to other developers saying 'Hey, if Insomniac can do it we can do it' then that's good for everybody. It makes no difference from a competitive point of view.

I just want to encourage any other developer to join us in the bandwagon of sharing as much as possible. It's important to get across that this isn't what we're competing on, that isn't our competitive edge. Let the games stand on their own, but let's share the tech, let's share as much information as possible with each other and work together to make the better games for everybody.

Do you find yourself having to be careful about not revealing too much - either about your own tech or Sony's PS3 inner workings?

You know, naturally, there are things we can't reveal because they're under NDA - for example, some of the lower level details of the RSX are not publicly known - so we can't reveal that information. But generally we'll either cull those parts out of the presentations, or create a generic version that's applicable to GPUs in general so that other people can still get the idea, can still learn how the technique without knowing the specifics of the hardware that we're not allowed to talk about.

There's also pieces with for example the Sony SDK, which isn't publicly available, and mostly we'll just describe that in general terms so that people still get the idea. If there's something particular to the project we're not ready to reveal yet, then again, we'll just talk about it in general terms and we'll reveal the context of this particular method later on.

Did you approach Sony with the idea, or were they looking to do this with one of their close partners?

Well, we're independent - it was something we just did, we do as we please mostly. We talked to them about it and made sure that they knew we weren't going to reveal any NDA material. But yeah, everybody's fine with it.

There's still a lot of people saying that developing for the PS3 is a nightmare - as a studio that's currently working only on the platform, do you believe that to be true?

What I've always said is that bad code, and bad data design in particular, is bad on any architecture, but it's particularly bad on the PS3 because the Cell is a much more modern, much more heterogeneous design. It's much more parallel, and so requires good data design and good code. So if you're poorly designing your data and your code, then yeah, I can see why it'd be difficult to take something like that and try and manipulate it to work on the PS3, especially when people have invested a huge amount of money and time on something that basically doesn't fit a modern methodology. Yeah, it's going to be time-consuming to get that to work - if it's at all possible.

But, at the same time, it's inevitable. The world has changed around us, it's going to continue to change, each generation is different from the last. Everything changes - that's the nature of console development. Nobody is taking their SNES engine and trying to get it to work on the PS3, right? There's no long term in console development - if you're not good at change as a company then you simply won't survive.

Do you think that getting used to this heterogeneous processing model is just a learning step, something that developers will just have to overcome?

Yeah, multi-core isn't tomorrow's tech - it's here now. You can kind of get away with it on other contemporary platforms, but next-gen, and the gen after that - there's no option. These are skills and lessons that you have to learn in order to survive in this industry. Another example is to take the generation jump between the SNES/Mega Drive and PlayStation/Saturn - there were a huge amount of developers that didn't survive that transition because they had to learn 3D, and they said 'well, 3D is so much harder than 2D'. Building models, dealing with a huge number of artists - this was much harder than just having sprites and just blitting them to the screen. People didn't survive, and they bitched, but you have to do it because the world changes."

http://www.developmag.com/interviews/174/QA-Insomniacs-Mike-Acton

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle