Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

minator

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 minator:  1 min ago
 pixie:  22 mins ago
 zipper:  33 mins ago
 Birbo:  41 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr ago
 Frank:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 broadblues:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 21 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 46 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /   PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )
PosterThread
fairlanefastback 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 19:12:54
#521 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Absolutely, I always will continue to unless of course what I highlighted above.

Except you called a fellow member a name, so I'm sorry but that does not seem like a genuine statement.

Quote:

Done that, IMO doesn't work. If you reread topics going back as far as 2006 I think you will get the true scope.

The process works IMO, you just did not like the outcomes I guess.

Amiga 1200

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 20:41:37
#522 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Except you called a fellow member a name, so I'm sorry but that does not seem like a genuine statement.

You think what you think, that's fine. I think if you do the effort to dig through the past writing of this fellow you will understand. If you don't feel like it, I don't feel like putting any value to your comments. Understand?

Quote:
The process works IMO

In your opinion perhaps, or perhaps in the past we much better documented events than is currently the case.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 21:27:28
#523 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

If you don't feel like it, I don't feel like putting any value to your comments. Understand?

An argument that "well he deserved it" and "its ok if I break the rules" does not cut it. Sorry. There is no justification for name calling, especially since you admit you don't bother reporting what you claim to be bad behavior that is "making" you respond in violation of the TOS. Learn some self control. And feel free to still report what you say "made" you do this. If he violated the TOS as well then we can deal with that.

Quote:
perhaps in the past we much better documented events than is currently the case.

Since you have no way to divine what documentation staff keeps on adjudications etc these days I can't take that as a serious statement.

Amiga 1200

MikeB 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 21:37:58
#524 ]
Elite Member

Microsoft responded to the delightful opinions of well respected journalists including IGN and surprisingly positive perspectives of Eurogamer/Digital Foundry regarding stereoscopic 3D experiences on Sony's PS3 and Nintendo's 3DS with:

"If you look at the costs of entry into the living room and when that's going to become mass-market, we think the offering with [laggy] Kinect and the natural user-interface we're bringing, that's a more compelling proposition for consumers over the coming years than maybe looking at 3D at this point"

Maybe a little short sighted? I mean when doing nothing right now and allowing the competition to get a headstart creating a huge library of immersive 3D enabled games before we hit mass market.

MikeB 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 21:42:41
#525 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Learn some self control. And feel free to still report what you say "made" you do this.

People clasify me as mister clamness himself. Sorry I won't waste my time on that.

Quote:
Since you have no way to divine what documentation staff keeps on adjudications etc these days I can't take that as a serious statement.

Sorry just doesn't seem like this. If you want you can enlighten me on this. How many comments are shared in the staff discusion forum this year compared to when I was still involved?

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 22:07:08
#526 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

People clasify me as mister clamness himself. Sorry I won't waste my time on that.

Thats not the only thing "people" have classified you as in the past. Calling a person a name "calmly" is still calling someone a name and breaking TOS. Its as simple as that, don't do it.

Quote:
How many comments are shared in the staff discusion forum this year compared to when I was still involved?

If you wish to be privy to such you'd have to request such access from DaveyD. Suffice to say moderations, adjudications, etc are well documented.

Amiga 1200

BrianK 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 22:10:35
#527 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Maybe a little short sighted?
Microsoft's approach is clearly the mass-market. And they are right 3DTVs are cost prohibitive. TVs last a decade. 3D is an attempt to encourage HDTV owners to trash their sets before the lifespan of their set is up. Plus, there's no common standard. So your Sony glasses won't work on the Panasonic next door. Which means one better have a half dozen glasses in case of visitors. Certainly some will buy this but again not mass-market. I think I posted these well before Microsoft. Look at the console market the #1 manufacturer hit the mass-market by doing SD over HD. The maker that pushed into new areas is #1 for losses. OUCH! Companies are in a business to profit.

I think the Microsoft statement went back to a point I made. 3D is expensive. If you want to extend your reach into the mass-market, targeting no benefit for the majority of players is not the way to go about this. Once 3D is mass market I'm comfortable Microsoft will be there. Likely this will fall into the Xbox3 where graphics output plays beyond the PS3 capabilities. It's not that difficult many GPUs do that today.

We'll see if the build of games is good OR if the next gen steals the thunder. For mass-market 3D, I think I'd bet on the later.

I don't believe we'll see an answer to 3D is mass marketable, your charge of Microsoft doing it wrong, or my charge of Microsoft is right on until 2014 or later.

Last edited by BrianK on 16-Jun-2010 at 10:13 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 22:47:45
#528 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Thats not the only thing "people" have classified you as in the past

If you know then why the #### are you bothering me with this...

Just a few pages ago Lou for example stated, "you only spout hype" and "You and the PS3 have always been over-hyped and under-delivered".

I think in any clear minded individual's mind this is easily clasified as a hostile approach and this is just one of so many attacks. I shouldn´t be doing your work for you. Meanwhile I have congratulated him with his birthday and complimented his god Nintendo many times, but nothing seems to help. He continues to make things up, attack and put words into my mouth (things he can and will never back up, while I easily can do the opposite by quoting myself).

Last edited by MikeB on 16-Jun-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 16-Jun-2010 at 10:54 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 23:00:27
#529 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
3D is an attempt to encourage HDTV owners to trash their sets before the lifespan of their set is up. Plus, there's no common standard.

First of all there is an industry wide standard. Of course how you want to implement this standard is open, as should be with any healthy form of competition.

Secondly, the PS3 is not demanding anything from the consumer. If you want to stick to SDTV and monosound that continues to be well supported. However if you like the extras you are free to join the game.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 16-Jun-2010 23:36:03
#530 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Whether you are "bothered" or not that I am telling you to not call people names is irrelevant. Again, if you have an issue with someone else's posts hit the report button and don't retaliate.

Quote:
Just a few pages ago Lou for example stated, "you only spout hype" and "You and the PS3 have always been over-hyped and under-delivered".

The first line sounds like an opinion. The second one does not make much sense, perhaps he was trying to say you "over-hype" the PS3? Dunno. Just ask him for clarification. None of this gives you the right to retaliate with name calling. If you keep that up you will lose your posting privileges.

Amiga 1200

Lou 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 0:47:37
#531 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Thats not the only thing "people" have classified you as in the past

I think in any clear minded individual's mind this is easily clasified as a hostile approach and this is just one of so many attacks. I shouldn´t be doing your work for you. Meanwhile I have congratulated him with his birthday and complimented his god Nintendo many times, but nothing seems to help. He continues to make things up, attack and put words into my mouth (things he can and will never back up, while I easily can do the opposite by quoting myself).

When 95% of your initial posts about a product for the PS3 could be read from a flyer or magazine ad, I think you are doing yourself a disservice for not applying for a job in their marketing department.

The other 5% consist of "check out the latest xyz video on youtube for the PS3.

I mean really...

Just buy advertising space on the forum and spare us the bulleted lists and word for word marketing shpliel.

I have stated the WM+ is more accurate than the Move and linked the gyro's specs from the manufacturer's website. What have you done to prove otherwise? You think a poorly done demo is proof enough, it's not. Link the gyro chip's specs.

I've stated before that I like to give your ads a reality check.

And FYI, I do criticize what I feel I need to about the Wii, here is an example:
http://boards.thewiire.com/index.php?showtopic=31148

Last edited by Lou on 17-Jun-2010 at 12:55 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 7:35:11
#532 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
The first line sounds like an opinion

And in my opinion Lou has repeatably shown extreme behaviour.

A very simple example, I can say "You are a ####" with #### being anything you can imagine. And I can say that's my opinion without providing any evidence.

Look backlane, you can introduce as much bias as you want...

So that's it, OK? Anyway I'm not going to waste any more time discussing this with you.

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 7:49:45
#533 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

I prefer to keep things factual when I can or provide as much information I can to support my writings (often perspectives I feel confident to be correct [/know], like for example the power of the Cell's SPUs and other technical stuff), so I won't spout nonsense and be almost always wrong about stuff like you. That's not something I would like to do.

Personally I don't have a problem with you being almost always wrong about the things you write, but I do dislike how you nearly always present your private opinions as indisputable facts all the time (something BrianK of course also does). Even that isn't that bad to push any of my buttons, but much worse is that when you are shown to be completely off you turn to be malicious and be disrespectful about this.

But the worst has to be when you put words into other people's mouth, things the've never stated or in reality the comments were evidently far more balanced, open minded and fair [of course, you're not the only one guilty of this].

Last edited by MikeB on 17-Jun-2010 at 07:58 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 9:13:49
#534 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Various vendors in the US handle this by providing cards.

Why don't we have this in the UK? The 250gb PS3 has the worst bundles known to man although the 120gb model has more choice. If we're spending more money on a higher spec model then we deserve more choice on what comes bundled with it! The new bundles will force people to invest in the 'Move' to obtain the 'N' capable WiFi card and 500gb hard drive. That doesn't seem right!

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 9:24:43
#535 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

If the size of the harddrive is the critical spec for you, you can opt for buying a cheap model and upgrade it with a larger (2.5 inch laptop) harddrive.

BigD 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 9:48:29
#536 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
If the size of the harddrive is the critical spec for you, you can opt for buying a cheap model and upgrade it with a larger (2.5 inch laptop) harddrive.

Surely that would cost me more and the hassle of selling the 120gb drive! I'm for the easy life with consoles as I get all the trouble shooting and technical problems I need from my aging Classic Amiga machines

I don't think it's too much to ask for retailers to offer a wider range of games for the 250gb model! Something other than Modnation Racers and Infamous! What happened to the Uncharted 2 bundle - SOLD OUT? What happened to the Blu-Ray Wolverine and Dark Knight bundle- SOLD OUT? What replaced them? The standard console only pack with a 'free' copy of Modnation Racers!! Not really what I'd expect for £270!!!! The problem is the 120gb bundle I had my eye on bundled with Super Street Fighter IV and a HDMI cable is £260 so not only is that overpriced but it has a smaller harddrive! Sainsbury's did a £200 deal for the 120gb model at the start of the year so I'd wait for a similar deal or a 500gb PlayTV2 bundle if that ever comes! Saying that if there was ever a 250gb bundle with Twisted Metal I'd jump on it, but retailers/Sony think that only Americans play Twisted Metal

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 10:01:45
#537 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

OK, but harddrive upgrades are very easy (and relatively cheap) on the PS3 without much hassle if you do this early (as you don't need to transfer data you had on the old drive).

Maybe it's best to look for a cheap second hand Uncharted 2 copy at this point, Blu-Ray discs being scratch resistant this means doing so is almost entirely risk free. Maybe some things to consider to reduce costs and widen options.

Last edited by MikeB on 17-Jun-2010 at 10:02 AM.

Lou 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 11:31:18
#538 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

I prefer to keep things factual when I can or provide as much information I can to support my writings (often perspectives I feel confident to be correct [/know], like for example the power of the Cell's SPUs and other technical stuff), so I won't spout nonsense and be almost always wrong about stuff like you. That's not something I would like to do.

Personally I don't have a problem with you being almost always wrong about the things you write, but I do dislike how you nearly always present your private opinions as indisputable facts all the time (something BrianK of course also does). Even that isn't that bad to push any of my buttons, but much worse is that when you are shown to be completely off you turn to be malicious and be disrespectful about this.

But the worst has to be when you put words into other people's mouth, things the've never stated or in reality the comments were evidently far more balanced, open minded and fair [of course, you're not the only one guilty of this].

But yet you have failed to list the techincal spec of Move's motion sensor...
In the face of being completely wrong, you simply ignore or dodge the situation or change the arguement. Much like now.

By the way, during the Tiger Woods demo for the PS3 at E3, there was alot of lag and the swing animation choppy. Must have been all the onscreen action (lol a golf game), perhaps the spus were busy rendering individual blades of grass being blown by the calm breeze.

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 11:55:24
#539 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

I noticed that lag in Tiger Woods as well, but it has nothing to do with Playstation Move itself. Most likely EA's software isn't yet up to par, I think they shouldn't have been on stage, it looked to be using software actually designed for Nintendo (as with Playstation Move when you hold the controller up in the air the arms should lift up in the air 1:1 as well in a game that would be designed around Playstation move). There are plenty of 1:1 tech demos I linked to.

Why do I need to provide the Playstation Move's specs? When I find the exact specs listing I will link to it. Noctice it was me not you or BrianK who linked to the Kinect technical specifications.

Last edited by MikeB on 17-Jun-2010 at 11:57 AM.

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 12:25:33
#540 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
I just looked it up, a Falbe 2 bundle was priced 150 dollars in the United States last year. Actually even 100 dollar deals were provided by Amazon and other dealers.
What I discussed was a list price. The 360 Spring 2010 Arcade bundle was $199. Microsoft has dropped the price on the old models by $50 to clear out the old inventory. I noticed at the store the Final Fantasy Bundle is now $349 instead of $399. The new models will come out as $299 for the 250GB model and $199 for the Arcade.
Engadget $50 price drop

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle