Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 92 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Birbo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Birbo:  2 mins ago
 Karlos:  21 mins ago
 Frank:  27 mins ago
 broadblues:  27 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 kriz:  2 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /   PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianK 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 12:27:18
#541 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
I noticed that lag in Tiger Woods as well, but it has nothing to do with Playstation Move itself. Most likely EA's software isn't yet up to par
Wow the Gold standard of motion controllers and developer's can't program to optimally use it? If EA can't do this they should give up making games for the Move, IMO.

Profile     Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 12:30:57
#542 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Blu-Ray discs being scratch resistant this means doing so is almost entirely risk free
I think Sony had to make this a requirement to overcome the crappy black discs for the PS2. Halo2 is the 1 Xbox game that no longer works for me. I have a number of PS2 games that don't work. I clearly have more hourse into Halo2. I also abused it quite a bit as I'd throw the disc on the floor between sessions.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 12:37:13
#543 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:
And in my opinion Lou has repeatably shown extreme behaviour.

And yet you refuse to hit the report button to identify examples for us to look at and try to address it. And you keep talking to him. And you called him a name.

Quote:
Look backlane, you can introduce as much bias as you want...

What is "backlane"? And are you saying telling you not to call people names is "bias"? It would not be ok for Lou to call you names either.

Quote:
So that's it, OK? Anyway I'm not going to waste any more time discussing this with you.

Good, don't name call.

Amiga 1200

Lou 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 12:47:14
#544 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

I noticed that lag in Tiger Woods as well, but it has nothing to do with Playstation Move itself. Most likely EA's software isn't yet up to par, I think they shouldn't have been on stage, it looked to be using software actually designed for Nintendo (as with Playstation Move when you hold the controller up in the air the arms should lift up in the air 1:1 as well in a game that would be designed around Playstation move). There are plenty of 1:1 tech demos I linked to.

Why do I need to provide the Playstation Move's specs? When I find the exact specs listing I will link to it. Noctice it was me not you or BrianK who linked to the Kinect technical specifications.

Yes, it did look like a Wii game with the resolution turned up. Even the Tiger model didn't look like it used more polys. However, EA has been making Tiger Woods games for the PS3 for some time, I don't see how the addition of Move should affect the graphics. Regards, the Wii version is highly regarded since TW PGA 10 when it got WM+ functionality. TWPGA11 for Wii does not require that "Pass" to get online either, unlike the HD versions.

Well, MikeB, let me once again welcome you the world of crappy Wii ports. A few pages ago, I linked a review of TWPGA11 from a person who's always played the 360 version.

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 12:51:28
#545 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

I recommend Amigans interesting in XBox 360 arcade units to keep an eye out for these kind of offers:

"In an apparent effort to reduce stock, retailers (Amazon & Walmart) are also throwing in a free $50 credit as well..."

http://hawtwired.com/blogs/news/archive/2010/06/16/426.aspx

So if you buy stuff from Amazon or Walmart anyhow, the 360 basically costs you 100 dollars. We don't want our buddies to pay more than they have to, right?

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 13:57:37
#546 ]
Elite Member

MikeB wrote:

Quote:
Most likely EA's software isn't yet up to par, I think they shouldn't have been on stage

To clarify, at least not with regard demoing Playstation Move at this point.

Their announcement of exclusive content on the PS3 for special editions of Dead Space 2 (includes Dead Space: extraction with move support) and Medol of Honor (includes Medal of Honor Frontline HD remake). I view that as a positive.

It's time 3rd parties finally start taking advantage of Blu-Ray capacity in some form. If the 360's storage capacity holds them back with regard to improving their assets at least they should take advantage of PS3's Blu-Ray in this way. I really hate that stuff is added to games through DLC shortly after launch which should have been there from the start, IMO horrible.

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 14:16:21
#547 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
We don't want our buddies to pay more than they have to, right?
I agree. People are interested in various consoles in this thread. BigD, for example, is still making up his mind. It's clear a special bundle, such as including Twisted Metal, will encourage him to 1 platform over another. I'd say a 50% price reduction, including retailer cards, would be of interest. He could use the other 50% to create a custom bundle.

And $100 for a 360 is a steal. An great amount of technology for an inexpensive price.

Last edited by BrianK on 17-Jun-2010 at 02:17 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 14:44:36
#548 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
really hate that stuff is added to games through DLC shortly after launch which should have been there from the start, IMO horrible.

'The perfect is the enemy of the good" - Voltare

Lou 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 15:00:55
#549 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
MikeB wrote:

Quote:
Most likely EA's software isn't yet up to par, I think they shouldn't have been on stage

To clarify, at least not with regard demoing Playstation Move at this point.

Their announcement of exclusive content on the PS3 for special editions of Dead Space 2 (includes Dead Space: extraction with move support) and Medol of Honor (includes Medal of Honor Frontline HD remake). I view that as a positive.

Re: Dead Space:Extraction
Ignoring graphics, I'd like to see a review of this game on the PS3 from a reviewer who's played it on Wii and can compare the motions controls.

Quote:
It's time 3rd parties finally start taking advantage of Blu-Ray capacity in some form. If the 360's storage capacity holds them back with regard to improving their assets at least they should take advantage of PS3's Blu-Ray in this way. I really hate that stuff is added to games through DLC shortly after launch which should have been there from the start, IMO horrible.

This started happening when consoles started having hard drives built-in and BluRay won't fix the issue of publishers forcing deadlines on developers or publishers wanting to eek more money out of consumers.

Last edited by Lou on 17-Jun-2010 at 03:01 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 15:05:54
#550 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

The Move is more expensive than the competition. LINK I guess I didn't catch the PS3 bundle doesn't come with all of the Move. For $400 it's the camera, main controller and console. The Navigator is an additional $30. This makes Sony's approach for the new casual gamer more expensive than either of it's competition. And if the first time gamer doesn't realize that the Navigator is missing they add the frustration of having to go back to the store. IMO, Sony should put the Navigator in the bundle and eat the $30.

Another article on the worries of 3D. Sure 3D is great. Enough to make one spend thousands to replace their HDTV? Unlikely LINK

Last edited by BrianK on 17-Jun-2010 at 03:06 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 15:10:00
#551 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Ignoring graphics, I'd like to see a review of this game on the PS3 from a reviewer who's played it on Wii and can compare the motions controls.
Seems to me Sony demonstrated the Move working on a few games the Wii is the primary console for. This made it seemed that Wii-HD should be the rightful name of the Move.

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 16:03:45
#552 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
The Navigator is an additional $30.

The navigator isn't per se required, you could use the included DS3 controller in your hand for that. Some games will not require you to wander around, but I agree for many types of games it's desirable to have access to an analog stick (and buttons!).

Did you have a good look at that Starwars game being developed for Kinect, you can't freely walk around at all in that game...

Regarding your concerns of 3DTV pricing, those prices will come down in due time (just like the PS3 entry pricing) and likely at some point it will be there by default, so when you buy a new TV it's there anyhow.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Last edited by MikeB on 17-Jun-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 17-Jun-2010 at 04:05 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 16:11:45
#553 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Rome wasn't built in a day.

In the case of the PS3, Rome was built and then systematically demolished and redesigned until profitable to manufacture irrespective of loss of features or damage to the brand!

Last edited by BigD on 17-Jun-2010 at 04:12 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 16:21:07
#554 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
irrespective of loss of features

I already said long before the PS3 slim launched some hardware had to go from a tech/cost perspective and long before the slim launched that I believed it would hit the market by 2009. IMO hardly a surprise. I also listed the hardware features which would not be cut (such a default harddrive and Blu-Ray). Some strange people even speculated Sony would switch to DVD (mainly XBox 360 fanboys).

A ton of new features have been added to the PS3 over the years and this trend is set to continue.

Last edited by MikeB on 17-Jun-2010 at 04:23 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 16:35:31
#555 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
In the case of the PS3, Rome was built and then systematically demolished and redesigned until profitable to manufacture irrespective of loss of features or damage to the brand
Touche

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 16:37:10
#556 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
A ton of new features have been added to the PS3 over the years and this trend is set to continue.
Features in the hardware have been cut. Undoubtably. And certainly new features are coming to the online access at $50/year.

Lou 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 16:55:01
#557 ]
Elite Member

Nintendo E3 my final thoughts.

While this year's TGS and US event in Sept will fill in the information I thought was missing from Nintendo at E3 this year:

- No announcement of RVL-036 replacement Wii Remote controller rumored to incorporate WM+

- No new Wii sku adding more flashram and 802.11n at the least

- No news on a Wii sucessor, Nintendo just seems too quiet about this issue

What I didn't like is that almost every new game they showed was a New Super Mario Bros. style retro 2D type game.

Also, the graphics in the new Zelda game seemed like cell-shaded with the prior game's models. This is odd because in an Iwata Asks interview with the Monster Hunter 3 developers, Iwata noted that they made the Zelda team nervous, as if to allude to a realistic Zelda game.

Pikmin 3 wasn't shown but Shiggy alluded to they already having too much to show at E3 and that TGS would show more Wii games.

Also, no sign of Vitality Sensor...though it seems Ubisoft ran with one of their own...

As for a Wii successor and 3D:
Quote:
Asked if Nintendo is planning on making Wii 3D compatible, the executive told Nihon Keizai Shimbun (via Andriasang): "If you display a 3D image, the image quality becomes extremely bad, so we'd probably do it with the next system. We're thinking that the timing should be once the 3D television adoption rate crosses the 30% mark. We're looking at the adoption trends."

Iwata went on to say that 3D technology is helping to create better gameplay experiences.

I know, you may think the "image quality" comment is hypocritical, but Nintendo like bright colors and 60fps. Both are hampered by today's 3D-on-console-tradeoffs.

Last edited by Lou on 17-Jun-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 17-Jun-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 17:58:19
#558 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
Seems to me Sony demonstrated the Move working on a few games the Wii is the primary console for. This made it seemed that Wii-HD should be the rightful name of the Move.

But only with motion. I have still yet to see actual direct pointing which is what you ideally need for on rails shooters.

On many Wii games, I can hold my Wii Remote up to my eye and look across it's surface towards the screen and see my cursor/pointer on the screen where I am pointing. Certain games are slightly off (but consistently so), but Nintendo-made games are pin-point. I have yet to see this demonstrated with Move.

Lou 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 18:35:24
#559 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

http://kotaku.com/5564197/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-video-preview-starring-me

A hands-on.

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Jun-2010 18:37:17
#560 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:Quote:
Asked if Nintendo is planning on making Wii 3D compatible, the executive told Nihon Keizai Shimbun (via Andriasang): "If you display a 3D image, the image quality becomes extremely bad, so we'd probably do it with the next system. We're thinking that the timing should be once the 3D television adoption rate crosses the 30% mark. We're looking at the adoption trends."

Iwata went on to say that 3D technology is helping to create better gameplay experiences.

I know, you may think the "image quality" comment is hypocritical, but Nintendo like bright colors and 60fps. Both are hampered by today's 3D-on-console-tradeoffs.

I think Nintendo is right on here. One website I read commented on the hit to image quality as demonstrated by Sony's 3D games. Due to splitting the signal brightness and contrast take a hit. In addition, they noted that jaggies were more noteable in 3D jaggies. They did mention these were Beta and perhaps the releases will improve some of these aspects. We're seeing performance hits to the all powerful PS3. Certainly the 360 and Wii will see hits too. Nintendo and the Wii are seeking the mass market. 3D is in it's infancy and out of scope for the Wii. The casual gamer isn't going to be the one with a 3DTV, a good majority of these systems are still on SDTV. I expect that Nintendo will take 3D into consideration, as well as HD, for their next gen console.

No Wii replacement? It'll come. I expect it's on the docket now that the 3DS is on the way.

I think the next 3 years will see gaming going hard. Sony will hopefully push something improved over the PSPgo (though I don't predict a PS4). Nintendo will have a new console around the corner along with the new 3DS. Microsoft may have a new console (3rd time's a charm typically for this company) and their first mobile gaming push. Indeed times are good to be a gamer.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle