Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 45 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  bhabbott

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  59 secs ago
 bhabbott:  2 mins ago
 minator:  26 mins ago
 pixie:  48 mins ago
 zipper:  59 mins ago
 Birbo:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 broadblues:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /   PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )
PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Posted on 28-Jun-2010 22:18:34
#701 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
That still makes you one active consumer having owned 2 units. Your household will not buy 2 copies of the same software in general.

Even with such reasoning does this not count for all other home consoles? Don't you agree? Or was the PS2 more cool than for example the Wii to own multiple systems of?

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 28-Jun-2010 23:21:47
#702 ]
Elite Member

After the very well received God of War 1 and 2 HD remake on 1 Blu-Ray disc and the reveal of the Sly Cooper series remake (part 1, 2 and 3 on one disc plus one of these games can be played in 3D!), the Team ICO collection seems to be coming out soon!!

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1102552p1.html

Lou 
Posted on 28-Jun-2010 23:42:43
#703 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
That still makes you one active consumer having owned 2 units. Your household will not buy 2 copies of the same software in general.

Even with such reasoning does this not count for all other home consoles? Don't you agree? Or was the PS2 more cool than for example the Wii to own multiple systems of?

The Wii is not at $99 yet. So my reasoning stands and your counter still lacks weight.
I admitted to owning 2 Gamecubes, but the 2nd was simply for homebrew so as to keep my original (with both serial ports and DV-out video) as original...and yes, the 2nd was bought @ $99. Homebrew got a late start on the GC. I used to have an online site reselling SD card adapters for the GC and that wasn't until late 2005.

Look at when BigD bought his two. He probably justified the 2nd one by not needing a separate $40 DVD player in his bedroom and they probably don't get alot of simultaneous use. Perhaps he'd care to fill us in.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jun-2010 9:22:15
#704 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Look at when BigD bought his two. He probably justified the 2nd one by not needing a separate $40 DVD player in his bedroom and they probably don't get alot of simultaneous use. Perhaps he'd care to fill us in.

I bought the 2nd PS2 second hand for my then fiance for under £100. She later became my wife hence we now have 2. Yes, we justify keeping the second one to save carrying it around hence enabling Singstar/DanceMat games in the living room and DVD viewing in the bedroom!

For the record my wife does buy her own games and has a fondness for Singstar and Wallace and Grommit in Project Zoo It's control system is a glitchy mess and the camera is one of the worst I've ever encountered but hey I still love her. She asks me to do the hard bits and it infuriates me soooo much!

BrianK 
Posted on 29-Jun-2010 12:22:30
#705 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
After the very well received God of War 1 and 2 HD remake on 1 Blu-Ray disc
Notice how 'very well received' is the rehashed old PS2 game? I think this is indicitative that older PS2 content still has legs. Of course if backwards compatibility didn't exist reselling old content would be a bit more difficult. But, on the other hand when the faulty PS2 consoles broke the user would more likely step up into the PS3. The net effect is Sony wouldn't be losing their market lead. As it is now the Wii is the PS2 replacement and the 360 competes head to head against the PS3 for the HDTV owner. Sony failed to stave off the competition and in turn have lost their market position.

Lou 
Posted on 29-Jun-2010 12:31:42
#706 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Lou

Quote:

I bought the 2nd PS2 second hand for my then fiance for under £100. She later became my wife hence we now have 2. Yes, we justify keeping the second one to save carrying it around hence enabling Singstar/DanceMat games in the living room and DVD viewing in the bedroom!

For the record my wife does buy her own games and has a fondness for Singstar and Wallace and Grommit in Project Zoo It's control system is a glitchy mess and the camera is one of the worst I've ever encountered but hey I still love her. She asks me to do the hard bits and it infuriates me soooo much!

OMG! A girl wanted a PS2 to play casual games - who would have thunk it!?!?!?

Congrats on the marriage.
It seems you two generally don't share the same taste and have become 1 PS2 consumer family. You certainly wouldn't go out and buy 2 copies of GTA2. :)

Thanks for your input.

MikeB doesn't like to admit that the PS2 was a casual friendly system despite games like Guitar Hero, Singstar, Dance Dance Revolution, etc... then poops on the Wii for being as such. Sony lost their way with the PS3 and #2 and #3 are neck and neck just like last gen.

The casual system always seems to win.

BrianK 
Posted on 29-Jun-2010 14:45:26
#707 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Various leaked Windows 8 documents are available on the web. Check out some of the new features for the OS. They are something Kinect, or some offspring of the idea, will be required to do. Seems the Xbox may initiate the technology but it'll be spread to other lines.

Also, Nvidia launched their 3D gaming. One of the feature is 3 monitors capable so it surrounds the end user. Though a bit problematic. Different 3D TV are implemented with different technology. You can't mix and match vendors. In addition, different products have slightly different sync rates. This requires one, if they want 3 monitors, to buy the exact same model #. Vendors continually change models so it'd be best to buy all 3 at the same time. It's all cool but surround 3DTV is something that's not mass market friendly.

Lou 
Posted on 29-Jun-2010 15:46:13
#708 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Hang on to your Sony stock! The PS3 is profitable!

http://www.edge-online.com/news/sony-ps3-now-profitable

BrianK 
Posted on 29-Jun-2010 16:42:19
#709 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
First the negatives: It's the hardware is finally making a profit. The 360 did this on year 1.5. (Not sure when the Wii did this do you know?) So the PS3 is indeed the late comer to console turning a profit. Though do note the PS3 line is far from profitable. They have a $6B uphill battle ahead of them. And I'll mention the Sony Prez mispredicted his April 2008 expectation. Hirari stated this in late 2007

Next the positives: Wonderful! Earning money on a platform is indicative that the platform will have better survivability. This means more likely for companies to make games for it and more likely to meet the 10 year expected lifespan.

Next up -- Christmas 2010. Does Kinect or Move bring the new users? Or does the Wii retain it's deathold on Gen 7 console line? Waiter more popcorn!

Last edited by BrianK on 29-Jun-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 29-Jun-2010 18:54:27
#710 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
First the negatives: It's the hardware is finally making a profit. The 360 did this on year 1.5. (Not sure when the Wii did this do you know?) So the PS3 is indeed the late comer to console turning a profit. Though do note the PS3 line is far from profitable. They have a $6B uphill battle ahead of them. And I'll mention the Sony Prez mispredicted his April 2008 expectation. Hirari stated this in late 2007

Next the positives: Wonderful! Earning money on a platform is indicative that the platform will have better survivability. This means more likely for companies to make games for it and more likely to meet the 10 year expected lifespan.

Next up -- Christmas 2010. Does Kinect or Move bring the new users? Or does the Wii retain it's deathold on Gen 7 console line? Waiter more popcorn!

The Wii was profitable to darn close to it from day one as evident from Nintendo's reports. There have also been several un-noticeable cost-cutting revisions to the Wii motherboard:
http://hackmii.com/2009/08/wii-hardware-a-history/

I predict Move and Kinect will not be widely adopted. Kinect in particular is strictly for casuals and the added cost of both systems-addons is a big negative to overcome.

BrianK 
Posted on 29-Jun-2010 21:51:31
#711 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
The Wii was profitable to darn close to it from day one as evident from Nintendo's reports
"We will make a profit on the entire Wii proposition out of the box--hardware and software," Nintendo President Reggie Fils-Aime prior to Wii launch.

Now that's a way to run a business. Understand the marketplace. Understand the fit of the product into that marketplace. And profit. Companies make money when they understand and are able to match the consumer's desires. If you had to hire Reggie Fils-Aime or Ken Kutargari based on the current console market performance. Nintendo's sales are slowing but it's still kicking butt all over it's rivals. There's no question the safer bet would be on Reggie.

Quote:
I predict Move and Kinect will not be widely adopted.
You may be right. The question yet to be proven out is does the casual gamer want a 2nd 7th Gen console that's not a Wii?

Looks to me that Kinect will stay around in some form. Microsoft seems to be leading visual capture for Windows 8. Kinect like things such as 3D environments,facial recognition, presence detection, along with motion sensing are included in the Win8 leaked docs. We know already that some of the voice control and detection have been shown on Win Phone 7, along with accelormeters. Around the same time of Windows 8, read 2012ish, I suspect a Xbox3 w/ built in Kinect. This generation user will serve as a test bed for the future use of motion controls.

MikeB 
Posted on 30-Jun-2010 1:52:36
#712 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
MikeB doesn't like to admit that the PS2 was a casual friendly system

Why do you continue to do that?

Of course the PS2 has a great games library for all kinds of audiences. Maybe you are mixing up with the PS3, the PS3 has various good family games but in due time needs to improve in the kid games department.

MikeB 
Posted on 30-Jun-2010 1:54:05
#713 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Seems the Xbox may initiate the technology but it'll be spread to other lines.

MikeB 
Posted on 30-Jun-2010 2:15:27
#714 ]
Elite Member

@ BrianK

Molyneux says Milo is: "not a game that we’re planning to bring to market."

Maybe now you start to understand the fakery which went on with that regard to that "demo" and understand Microsoft is extremely far from realizing anything they promised with the "demo".

A Microsoft spokesman also said: "I think we know that hard-core gamers will be the first to go out and buy it"

Hardcore games?
http://i.imgur.com/2ir8N.gif
http://i49.tinypic.com/2vl7gq9.gif

BrianK 
Posted on 30-Jun-2010 4:27:02
#715 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Microsoft spokesman also said: "I think we know that hard-core gamers will be the first to go out and buy it"
What I see is reasonable is the Tech Enthusiasts will go and buy it first. They are also generally the hardcore gamer crowd on consoles. What I see here is how you define 'hardcore' and how they used 'hardcore' are slightly different.

What Xbros believe -- I thought you said you were a Tech Enthusiast. Seems to me more like a technophobe.

Last edited by BrianK on 30-Jun-2010 at 04:30 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 30-Jun-2010 10:24:10
#716 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
I thought you said you were a Tech Enthusiast. Seems to me more like a technophobe.

Not at all, Microsft knows the technical limitations of the current Kinect version. Thus I suggested to redo Kinect with better technology later on. There is potential for a better Eyetoy when they get rid of the lag.

BigD 
Posted on 30-Jun-2010 10:30:01
#717 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

PS3 now breaks even on every console sold!!

PS3 Hardware is now Profitable

Whoops sorry it's already been posted But it's big news and probably deserves a double post

Last edited by BigD on 30-Jun-2010 at 10:33 AM.

BrianK 
Posted on 30-Jun-2010 15:27:30
#718 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Maybe now you start to understand the fakery which went on with that regard to that "demo" and understand Microsoft is extremely far from realizing anything they promised with the "demo".
MikeB again I think the problem lies in your definitional usage of words. You had requested an example of the Kinect. A demo is short for demonstration it's a type of example.

In the Milo demo we know various things, but not all, were working. Such as the ability to capture voice and repeat a person's name. Not all that tricky I agree. Milo was clearly an example of how the Kinect will work.

What resides in the demo is both things that are working to day and things they expect will be working with the product. A great example, what you had written. Later after you defined 'example' it wasn't the commonly used instance serving as an illustration. For a demo fully meets that criteria. What you requesting was basically a full on working game shown for a few minutes.

Last edited by BrianK on 30-Jun-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 1-Jul-2010 17:47:08
#719 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Wow! Looks at last week's top 10 in Japan:

01. Monster Hunter Frontier Online (Capcom, Xbox 360) – 93,000 / New
02. Love Plus + (Konami, DS) – 84,000 / New
03. Atelier Totori: Alchemist Of Arland 2 (Gust, PS3) - 54,000 / New
04. Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 3rd Story (Konami, DS) - 52,000 / New
05. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii) - 42,000 / 614,000
06. Hatsune Miku Project DVIA Value Version (Sega, PSP) - 29,000 / New
07. White Album: Tsuzurareru Fuyu no Omoide (AquaPlus, PS3) - 26,000 / New
08. Starry Sky In Spring Portable (Honeybee / PSP) - 22,000 (New)
09. Ghost Trick (Capcom, DS) - 20,000 / 44,000
10. Painting Classroom DS (Nintendo, DS - 20,000 / 41,000

Is this a 360 first?

BrianK 
Posted on 1-Jul-2010 18:13:11
#720 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Wow! 360 isn't well accepted in Japan. It appears that Monster Hunter had 100% penetration. (Psst MikeB that last line was humor.)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle