Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 42 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  gryfon,  Birbo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Birbo:  2 secs ago
 gryfon:  14 secs ago
 OlafS25:  3 mins ago
 bhabbott:  5 mins ago
 minator:  29 mins ago
 pixie:  51 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 broadblues:  1 hr 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 2)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianK 
Re:Gameplay vs. Graphics
Posted on 9-May-2008 15:50:42
#781 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
I believe MS will release a BluRay equipped 360 and end that advantage with a quickness.
Blu-Ray rumors are this fall. New motherboard rumors are Jasper this fall. I'd recommend both come to the Elite models first.

Quote:
Pre-ordering customers will be able to order BR versions or DVD versions of games.. extra content is remastered onto a BR disc for the 360 ...
Perhaps. DVD has the advantage of still being less expensive to manufacture. I believe even a 2nd extra content disc would still be less expensive to manufacture then 1 Blu-Ray. Load the 2nd DVD one time it's content goes to HDD. Play the game with the primary DVD. And still everyone can enjoy the DVDs.

A hold back of games on Blu for the 360 would be Blu-Ray licensing fees. Would Microsoft really want to give that extra bit of money to an organization where their major competitor, Sony, is going to get a piece? I'd think not. As such the vast majority of 360 games will stay on DVDs.

Quote:
Reggie announced something to satisfy the "hardcore gamer" for the holidays
This must be the offical announcement for Electra-pole, the Wii pole dancing game.

Quote:
I imagine you'll fly him like the dragon in Lair and use the Lair engine that they ported to the Wii
But of course the controls will be improved and this game will be SDTV but more fun and a larger seller than Lair.

Profile     Report this post  
Lou 
Posted on 9-May-2008 16:56:30
#782 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
I believe MS will release a BluRay equipped 360 and end that advantage with a quickness.
Blu-Ray rumors are this fall. New motherboard rumors are Jasper this fall. I'd recommend both come to the Elite models first.

I linked about the manufacturers who signed up to build them a page or 2 back..

Quote:

Quote:
Pre-ordering customers will be able to order BR versions or DVD versions of games.. extra content is remastered onto a BR disc for the 360 ...
Perhaps. DVD has the advantage of still being less expensive to manufacture. I believe even a 2nd extra content disc would still be less expensive to manufacture then 1 Blu-Ray. Load the 2nd DVD one time it's content goes to HDD. Play the game with the primary DVD. And still everyone can enjoy the DVDs.

A hold back of games on Blu for the 360 would be Blu-Ray licensing fees. Would Microsoft really want to give that extra bit of money to an organization where their major competitor, Sony, is going to get a piece? I'd think not. As such the vast majority of 360 games will stay on DVDs.

I'm sure the profit on the unit far outweighs the licensing fees...

Amiboy 
Posted on 9-May-2008 22:02:00
#783 ]

Just incase people want to see how great KZ2 looks here are some more links to game play vids

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7077_en.html

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7104_en.html

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_7083_en.html

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

BrianK 
Posted on 9-May-2008 22:45:40
#784 ]
Elite Member

@Amiboy

Quote:
Just incase people want to see how great KZ2 looks here are some more links to game play vids
Looks great... 4 years down and just 1 more to go....

Amiboy 
Posted on 10-May-2008 9:37:21
#785 ]

@BrianK

After reading on several PS and multi platform fourms what I am really wondering now is if the reasons Sony gave for delaying its release (they didnt want the release to clash with some of their other big titles such as L.B.P & Resistance 2 and XBox's GofW2) are true, of if GG really needed more time to finish/polish up the game and thats just a convienient excuse.

I hope it isnt.

Just wish I didnt have to wait another 9 months to get it.

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

MikeB 
Posted on 10-May-2008 10:57:18
#786 ]
Elite Member

Gametrailers.com has been heavily criticized in the past for their used display settings for some of their 360/PS3 comparison videos.

Gametrailers goofed up with regard to a recent PS3 vs 360 GRID comparison video. They compared the PS3 version with the PS3 version with slighly modified settings. After this discovery they removed the video. IMO does question theyir professionality, bias and methods...

MikeB 
Posted on 10-May-2008 11:11:21
#787 ]
Elite Member

Regarding Killzone 2:

Most people agree GG with the current pre-alpha has topped what was shown in the original target trailer:

http://talkplaystation.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/killzone2-e3-vs-now.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/34oehc3.gif

http://i30.tinypic.com/zbugx.gif

Amiboy 
Posted on 10-May-2008 11:49:16
#788 ]

@MikeB

Thanks for the links.

I do agree that it does visually look etter than the target trailer.

Still wish I didnt have to wait about 9 months to purchase it.

Last edited by Amiboy on 10-May-2008 at 11:51 AM.

BrianK 
Posted on 10-May-2008 14:11:33
#789 ]
Elite Member

@Amiboy

I'm with you. I highly doubt the delay due to fears of clasing with Little Big World or GeOW2. Especially the later case you want your PS3 game to stack up against the 360 game for Christmas and convince users not to buy GeOW2 and not to buy the 360. Using Occam's Razor I think the answer is simple ... they need more time.

Actually a later release does work better for me. This means GeOW2 before Christmas and KZ2 in early 2009. I'll get them both.

Last edited by BrianK on 10-May-2008 at 02:13 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 10-May-2008 17:31:18
#790 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Sony have Socom (September) and the highly anticipated Resistance 2 (November) lined up already, A Sony representative stated they think it makes more sense to spread out their shooters.

IMO makes sense and also provides enough time to polish Killzone up to max potential. Good things shouldn't be rushed, they have the resources and the PS3 is selling well enough to give them some more time.

wegster 
Posted on 10-May-2008 19:10:14
#791 ]
Elite Member

A decent comparison of PS3 and 360 versions of GTA4, with HD video, on same scenes.
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=137829&page=1

wegster 
Posted on 10-May-2008 19:28:40
#792 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Quotes of interest from above link:

Quote:
First things first. Xbox 360 runs at full 720p (1280x720), whereas the PlayStation 3 code takes a 20 per cent hit, being natively rendered at 1152x640 before being software-upscaled. Regular readers of the face-off features know that this approach can work well (check out the comparison gallery for Dark Sector in the last face-off) but in most cases, the PS3 port just tends to look like a blurrier version of the original Xbox code: not impressive considering that typically, PS3 hardware - and sometimes software - is more expensive.

I think I've only seen one case myself where 360 looks 'sharper,' and it was a slowed down fight scene, on the faces.

I think this is actually backed up/agreed on here, as well:
Quote:
Both versions feature heavily post-processed visuals, in particular when it comes to depth-of-field effects. Objects in the distance on both versions are blurred in an effort to match the natural focus of the human eye. Where post-processed blur meets the upscaling effect of PlayStation 3, the result usually looks very good indeed - a little softer, of course, but rarely distracting. A slight change of hue (particularly noticeable on indoor cut-scenes) also makes the PS3 version look slightly warmer.

Quote:
Whether you actually find the motion sensor control to be anything other than a novelty remains a matter of personal taste. In terms of GTA IV, I find it decent enough with the boats, a trial with the bikes and short-lived and unintentional entertainment with the choppers. I honestly don't think that 360 owners are missing out on anything special by not having the same control system in their games.

I mostly agree with this. Six Axis seems much more of a gimmick, not as good in reality vs the WiiMote. Bowling is much improved via Six-Axis, bikes and boats are OK, helicopters a truly poor joke.

Quote:
Time for a spot of myth-busting then. Aside from a slight tweak to the colour palette (going back once again to Houser's 'warmer' PS3 comments), the two games feature virtually identical lighting. Day and night cycles are basically the same, weather likewise. A case has also been made online with judiciously chosen screenshots that the PS3 version has better-realised explosion effects, but again, in controlled conditions this is proven not to be the case. In fact, the only lighting issue between the two versions that stands out is a shimmering on shadows on the 360 version. Noticeably improved on PS3, but hardly earth-shaking stuff.

Again, mostly parity.

Quote:
Onto the next bone of contention then: draw distance. The theory is that the PS3's mandatory hard disk installation gives the Sony version an advantage here, but once again, the evidence clearly shows that the Xbox 360 game matches it. It's not difficult to see why. If the hard disk is good for anything, it's the swift streaming of texture detail, not the actual geometry.

Despite the hard disk advantage of PS3, I found it very hard indeed to show a tangible advantage in terms of texture streaming, aside from whatever wear and tear on the 360's DVD-ROM unit the game might inflict long-term. Maniacal flying of the helicopter showed obvious pop-in on 360 that the PS3 version coped better with, but in more common game conditions both versions acted in a very similar manner. In fact, both games infrequently exhibited pop-in textures, something you wouldn't expect from the PS3 code.

Mostly parity, very slight nod to PS3.

Frame Rate: (captured with HD capture, lossless, actual frames being counted, same material on each console)

Quote:
Test One: Game Intro
360: 31.990fps
PS3: 26.460fps
See it on EGTV.

Test Two: Clean Getaway
360: 28.624fps
PS3: 23.452fps
See it on EGTV.

Test Three: Final Destination
360: 35.262fps
PS3: 29.041fps
See it on EGTV.

There are other tests as well, with video, and a detailed explanation of hardware being used to test.

Summary of framerates between consoles:

Quote:
So the results clearly show that over the course of the entire clip, 360 out-performs PlayStation 3 in all but one of the six scenarios presented here. Indeed, on the longer vids we're seeing a good 17 to 18 percent variance. Tests on gameplay (playing through the same mission, but not rendering identical scenes, obviously) saw a similar range of variance too. For example, the 'Ivan the Not So Terrible' stage has a nice range of in-car, on-foot, rooftop and cut-scene action. 30.704fps average on a 360 runthrough, compared with 26.522fps and 26.274fps on two separate PS3 captures of the same mission.

The bottom line is that no matter what material I put through the detector, 360 came ahead in all tests, sometimes dramatically so.

Advantage: 360

Also, we can reasonably conclude we now know why the PS3 version is in lower resolution - the framerate averages are within 15% or so currently, but that may have been worse if the PS3 version were 720p instead.

I'm pretty happy with the PS3 version as is - I've noted my annoyances with the game, which remain, but that has little to do with which console version the game is played on, but the game itself.

I don't know when downloadable content is slated to appear, which seems to be an MS exclusive, but if it's soon, depending on what it is, I can see that being a big 'Advantage 360,' so much so, that if I owned a 360 as well, I might well be tempted to go with the 360 version over the PS3.

MikeB 
Posted on 12-May-2008 21:31:56
#793 ]
Elite Member

First review of MGS4 is a perfect 10 from the UK OPM.

Kojima also responded to previous editorial English translations based on a Japanese interview. He stated the translations are misleading, due to a clash between cultures. He stated Americans have a culture of bragging about their achievements while for Japanese culture modesty is far more appreciated.

He referred to MGS4 as being revolutionary comparing the game to a car which can fly, but based on the PS3 specs he expected MGS4 have become like a car which can travel into outer space before having the product in hand to actually work with. This wasn't achieved with MGS4 (it will take a lot of effort fully redesign legacy game engines to fully suit the PS3's hardware). His previous comments should be read in this light.

MikeB 
Posted on 12-May-2008 22:00:40
#794 ]
Elite Member

A new GTA IV review, not a perfect 10 but good score from Worth Playing:

"The gorgeous visuals are stunning on either the 360 or the PS3, although the PS3's graphics appeared to be slightly sharper with less noticeable texture pop, but both deliver the same experience despite the technical differences. "

Basically it comes down to things like free online play for the PS3 vs yet unknown (price and content wise, Sony pointed out the PS3 may get such content in due time as well) exclusive DLC for the 360 and other platform specific preferrences and advantages if you own both systems.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=52075

Last edited by MikeB on 12-May-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 12-May-2008 at 10:28 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 13-May-2008 17:19:21
#795 ]
Elite Member

Lol!
Quote:
All Formats: Previously Wii Fit denied GTA IV the top spot in the Amazon.com software chart and now Mario Kart Wii is enjoying its turn. In the complete videogame sales chart, which includes hardware and peripherals, the Wii Wheel took second place, with GTA IV for Xbox 360 only managing third.

01. Mario Kart w/ Wii Wheel—Nintendo (Wii)
02. Grand Theft Auto IV—Rockstar (360)
03. Grand Theft Auto IV—Rockstar (PS3)
04. Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures*—Eidos (PC)
05. Wii Fit*—Nintendo (Wii)
06. Wii Play w/ Remote—Nintendo (Wii)
07. Guitar Hero III Bundle—Activision (Wii)
08. Super Smash Bros. Brawl—Nintendo (Wii)
09. Super Mario Galaxy—Nintendo (Wii)
10. We Ski—Namco Bandai (Wii)

Even the Wii Wheel outsold GTA4 on the 360...that's kind of amusing...

ps,
2 3rd party Wii games made the top 10 list...

Edit:
I really need to get MKWii and a spare wheel...
Edit2:
Quote:
Wii: The seven bestselling Wii titles all made the All Formats top ten, while Boom Blox, Rock Band and Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party charted in twelfth, fourteenth and twentieth. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Game Party and new release Deca Sports just missed out on top ten spots.

The Wii just seems to be taking over the planet... ZOMG!

Last edited by Lou on 13-May-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 13-May-2008 at 05:20 PM.

Samwel 
Posted on 14-May-2008 0:56:11
#796 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:

The Wii just seems to be taking over the planet... ZOMG!

Yeah it's amazing what crap people are buying these days!

Seriously.. When is Wii getting any serious 3rd party games then?
I'm not that interested in any of those children type of games Nintendo
is putting out.
Also when will "wii" see Wii getting a HDMI port?

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Samwel 
Posted on 14-May-2008 0:59:14
#797 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Is the lower resolution (640p vs 720p) confirmed by RockStar? Or is it still
just unconfirmed rumours from fanboys?

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

wegster 
Posted on 14-May-2008 2:23:14
#798 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

The original comment and link I posted about PS3 version at lower res wasn't really by a 'fanboy,' although it was on a 'fan site.' I didn't research it to death, but saw enough to consider it 'confirmed' - the PS3 is running at lower res than the 360, but has different post-processing applied.

I really don't see any issues there - I'm not sitting there saying, 'I wish I had another 100 pixels of vertical resolution'..the game looks fine, except for contrast issues on the cell phone with my projector that are irritating.

So, dunno - while I don't believe 'repeat it enough and it will be true,' otherwise I might believe some 'ad or hype type posts' blindly, I do believe PS3 res is lower and confirmed by multiple sources at this point.

I think the bigger deciding factor, at least for those without a PS3 or 360, is whenever the downloadable exclusive content comes out, and whether or not Sony will see similar (eg, their own set of exclusive content) and be comparable, and if it's timely enough in either case (PS3 or 360) to really matter. Without that in the mix, it's a few frames slower on average, but I've seen zero indication of stuttering or framerate issues on the PS3 myself.

Lou 
Posted on 14-May-2008 17:49:22
#799 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:

Samwel wrote:
@Lou

[quote]
Seriously.. When is Wii getting any serious 3rd party games then?
I'm not that interested in any of those children type of games Nintendo
is putting out.

Metroid Prime 3 is not a children's game, nor is the tactilcal RPG they put out in September... So Resident Evil 4 wasn't serious? Medal of Honor:H2? Manhunt (which if you can play backups, allowed you to remove the content filter)?

Gee, I don't know, ask the 3rd party devs and publishers...

Quote:

Also when will "wii" see Wii getting a HDMI port?

Never. However, I'm sure you can buy a component->HDMI converter. If you need component cables for the Wii, see my sig.

Anonymous 
Posted on 14-May-2008 18:07:40
# ]

@Samwel

Are you calling Eurogamer "fanboys"??

Chris

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle