Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 42 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  gryfon,  Birbo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  1 secs ago
 Birbo:  17 secs ago
 gryfon:  33 secs ago
 bhabbott:  5 mins ago
 minator:  29 mins ago
 pixie:  51 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 broadblues:  1 hr 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /   PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianK 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 6
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 17:26:25
#781 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
What do you mean?...Maybe you should quote the exact statement with regard to which you seem upset for me to understand your complaints regarding the PSN.
The statement is as much to what Sony said to what they didn't say. Sony told us that online was free. They never advertised-- " Oh and by the way we are going to charge for new features in 3 years." People assumed upgrades to online were free, as Sony advertised not only free online gaming but free online.

For other bad advertising ... Ken Kutagari said that the Xbox 360 is "just a game console" Yet users play beyond games on the 360. Audio and video downloads, 1080p movies, Facebook integration and access, Netflix etc. So again if you want to hit companies for bad statements be fair and call Sony out for their crap too.

Quote:
My PS3 still runs PS2 games well
That's good. Hope it doesn't get stolen or broken. Cuz any future PS3s can't use the once advertised feature.

Quote:
Most fanboys claimed Linux on the PS3 was completely useless, nowadays they seem to cry foul the most
Are they the same 'fanboys' who own PS3s and have filed a class action lawsuit to get Sony to change the removal of an advertised feature?

SACD Quote:
.. was developed by Sony and Philips, of course they would have preferred it to remain a standard.
Yeah they lost to the iPod. Certainly the same is true about HD-DVD. It was a standard developed by the DVD Forum of roughly 200 companies. Certainly the HD-DVD, optional by the way, was something those companies liked at one time.

Which BTW HD-DVD death was sad but in the case of physical media picking up 1080p games at $2 a piece was something I was into. My 2 computers and 360 can play those w/o issue. The PS3, of course, can't. So, it's not like I'm missing anything there.

Quote:
Quote:
I can't think of a 360 online game which doesn't allow the additional players in your house to have a unique identity
There are plenty of games on the XBox 360 which do not allow/require this!
I did comment I haven't played all 1300+ games. Nor have I played every game of the subset which allow online gaming. I know you don't have a 360. But which game have you tried that allows 2, or more, players from a home to get online and play against other players that disallow unique identities?

Last edited by BrianK on 08-Jul-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 18:07:29
#782 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
As a potential new PS3 consumer, the feature is not there. So now the mantra is "It only does everything [except play PS2 games]!"

It does not play Wii or XBox 360 games neither. It does however play games, soon also games similar like those on the Wii. Everyone knows the PS3 does not make you a cup of tea (at this point at least). The current PS3 at this point does not play PS2 games, this is well known so if that's critical to you then don't buy the console. But you do get a slimmer, more efficient and cheap console than the older PS3s instead. Various PS2 classics are also receiving good HD makeovers and maybe some day they will have a good PS2 emulator for the console.

The slogan: "It only does everything" is a good and powerful one and Sony will probably stick to that. It's marketing 101, simple.

For example Burger King's "Have it your way", this doesn't really imply you can have your food any way you want. "I would please have a Dolphin steak with peanut butter on top" won't give you any results. It is however a good marketing slogan to show you can have more options available than at some competitors!

You can complain to Burger King all you want, but IMO you will make yourself look childish/lunatic.

Quote:
It wasn't an original feature.

It was heavily pushed by Microsoft as a key advantage of the XBox 360. They even claimed Blu-Ray would become optional provided there was enough demand amongst 360 owners. Of course support for Blu-Ray never actually happened.

Quote:
How can you use 'allow/require' in that sentence like that?
Also, can you cite examples?

IMO it sucks having to pay extra to play online on the XBox 360, but it sucks even more you have to pay even more to play various 360 games online on the same console. So you end up paying for multiple accounts on just one console... For example in LittleBigPlanet the two (or more, we played with 2 additional friends at home but can also play with online friends) are all free to play online maps.

Of course there are plenty of games which can only be played by 1 person online on one console, as good as all PC game ports. So on the 360 you may want to share one account (which sucks if you would want to compare achievements), on the PS3 there are no such issues. When done gaming, your brother/wife/etc turns on the system and logs in with his/her free account and can start earning trophies with his or her's own account online including using content he or she didn't buy, but you did.

I even read some downloadable content cannot be shared on the 360, sounds strange, every account on the PS3 can use content bought be one account. Content can even be shared on muliple systems (apart from Singstar songs which are locked to one console).

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 18:21:07
#783 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
For other bad advertising ... Ken Kutagari said that the Xbox 360 is "just a game console" Yet users play beyond games on the 360. Audio and video downloads, 1080p movies, Facebook integration and access, Netflix etc. So again if you want to hit companies for bad statements be fair and call Sony out for their crap too.

Ken said the XBox 360 is just a games console? Tsk tsk Ken! Happy now?

Quote:
Hope it doesn't get stolen or broken.

If that happens I can get it repaired or buy a second hand unit. However PS2 support isn't that important for me anymore, actually if Sony releases a PS3 here with integrated DVR I may well sell my current PS3, hopefully making someone happy and buy such a model instead (But if it takes long I may end up buying a Toshiba 3DTV with DVR functionality instead with a 3 TB internal harddrive).

Quote:
Are they the same 'fanboys' who own PS3s and have filed a class action lawsuit to get Sony to change the removal of an advertised feature?

I don't know them, but I know plenty of 360 only owning crybabies. Of course there may be people with valid complaints and that's for the courts to decide.

Lou 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 19:42:15
#784 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@BrianK

Quote:

I don't know them, but I know plenty of 360 only owning crybabies. Of course there may be people with valid complaints and that's for the courts to decide.

Suppose you bought a car and one day you brought it to the dealership for scheduled maintenance. You get it back and you find that they removed the back seat and doorhandles that open the back doors. Sure, you can still drive it every day, and granted 98% of the time you are in your car you don't need the back seat, but it was there when you bought it and did indeed pay for it. How would you feel? What about the people with children? How would they transport their kids when they paid for a family sedan that 'does everything' for $599? Sure, the 2 seater version is $299 now, but they didn't pay $299 for a 2 seater...they paid $599 for a four seater.

With me and Sony games consoles, my philosphy is: fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I will never own a Sony 'game' console again. PS1 gave me the bad taste. PS2 proved me right, glad I never bought one (or four as many have) and the 4D gaming w/3 gigabit ethernet port, dual-HDMI and it's a full-fledged computer yada yada yada promises promises promises ultra-hype machine never once fooled me even for a split second.

(never owned an NES or SNES either, went from Odyssey2 to Atari 5200 to Sega Genesis with lots of C64 inbetween, so much for being a Nintedo fanboy, could it be they simply won me over with a history of quality products???)

Last edited by Lou on 08-Jul-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 08-Jul-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 08-Jul-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 19:47:42
#785 ]
Elite Member

The Last Story (in other words: final fantasy)

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/08/the-last-story-seen-in-action-for-the-first-time/

From Mistwalker, this is the current and sole project from the Final Fanstasy series creator and a Wii exclusive. I must say, I am intrigued. It looks damn good. I like how characters can't run through each other but actually bump shoulders...or as one commenter put it:

Quote:
OMG ASSASSIN'S CREED TYPE BUMPING!!!!!

Attention BigD: another quality Wii title your family-oriented friends will probably never own.

Last edited by Lou on 08-Jul-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 08-Jul-2010 at 07:52 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 20:05:38
#786 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Suppose you bought a car and one day you brought it to the dealership for scheduled maintenance. You get it back and you find that they removed the back seat and doorhandles that open the back doors.

Your example make the issue sound so grand and for no apparent reason (such as to benefit security).

This issue affects a very small minority of people and for those affected a very small minority will have the PS3 as their only Linux powered box.

Quote:
Fool me twice, shame on me. I will never own a Sony 'game' console again.

And you are a person who defends Microsoft?

Lou 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 20:32:22
#787 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
Suppose you bought a car and one day you brought it to the dealership for scheduled maintenance. You get it back and you find that they removed the back seat and doorhandles that open the back doors.

Your example make the issue sound so grand and for no apparent reason (such as to benefit security).

Yes MikeB, having 2 doors vs. 4 doors means less doors to give thieves options but doesn't change the fact that many users paid for and like to use all four.

Quote:
This issue affects a very small minority of people and for those affected a very small minority will have the PS3 as their only Linux powered box.

When the PS3 was launched, you championed this feature as how and why Amiga OS4 could run on it and why every Amigan should run out and buy a PS3, now that it's egg in your face, you pull the "it's a security issue" Sony double-talk card.

Quote:

Quote:
Fool me twice, shame on me. I will never own a Sony 'game' console again.

And you are a person who defends Microsoft?

Where did I mention MS? The original Xbox was a high quality product. However I was promised GC backwards compatibility with the Wii (and still have it ). Also, MS has gone to great strides to guarrantee their product (hello: 3 year warranty) and has also continually lowered the cost and improved the quality of the 360 without removing features, a claim Sony does not have.

Fun fact: if you bought a launch 360 and it failed within 3 years, you have a new 360 for free and have not lost any features and haven't spent a dime bar shipping fees.

I do recall complaints about original PS3's overheating due to excessive dust in fan vents. Sony's answer: your fault for using them in a dusty environment. Now their's customer service for you..

This reminds me of GM refusing to repair broken drive train components on V8 Firebirds caused by customers doing clutch dumps and spinning tires. They lost when it was shown that in the ads, the cars were doing clutch dumps and spinning tires.

Last edited by Lou on 08-Jul-2010 at 08:39 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 20:50:24
#788 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
When the PS3 was launched, you championed this feature as how and why Amiga OS4 could run on it and why every Amigan should run out and buy a PS3

I think I never stated anyone should buy a PS3, I only provide arguments why someone could prefer a PS3. That's a monumental difference.

I still think if OS4 was on the PS3 would have been a very good idea. I'm also happy Linux is on the PS3. The main distro matured IMO horribly but the Cell SDK is good and provided a lot of insight for those who cared (including for scientists who are still using PS3s and would like to buy more of them).

Quote:
The original Xbox was a high quality product.

I more look at it as an ugly bulky lowend PC which could potentially burn down your house (which it did for some).

Quote:
Fun fact: if you bought a launch 360 and it failed within 3 years, you have a new 360 for free

So after all this time you still don't understand why this is feeding people misinformation?

Microsoft denied any problem with the XBox 360 (well within industry standards) until lawsuits pressed them to admit the problems to its shareholders, there's nothing heroic about this.

Also the extended warranty only covered RRoD issues, experiencing other hardware failures was not covered by warranty and data shows the remaining issues excluding RRoD issues still outdo all kinds of hardware failures on the PS3 combined. Most actually received other people's failed refurbs, not new units.

In any case does the XBox 360 support any of those features you are upset about of having been removed?

So you think it's great after buying a XBox 360 launch unit you had to buy a new console to have HDMI and now you have to buy a new console again to have integrated WiFi. I don't share such viewpoints at all.

Last edited by MikeB on 08-Jul-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 21:03:09
#789 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
When the PS3 was launched, you championed this feature as how and why Amiga OS4 could run on it and why every Amigan should run out and buy a PS3

I think I never stated anyone should buy a PS3, I only provide arguments why someone could prefer a PS3. That's a monumental difference.

Now there's the understatement of the century... :rolleyes

Quote:
I still think if OS4 was on the PS3 would have been a very good idea. I'm also happy Linux is on the PS3. The main distro matured IMO horribly but the Cell SDK is good and provided a lot of insight for those who cared (including for scientists who are still using PS3s and would like to buy more of them).

But infact it is no longer on the PS3 and scientists who want to CANNOT buy more of them...

Quote:

Quote:
The original Xbox was a high quality product.

I more look at it as an ugly bulky lowend PC which could potentially burn down your house (which it did for some).

Darnit! I suppose that would have been an easy way of getting rid of my bad investment (house)...now I wish I had owned an Xbox instead. :/

Quote:

Quote:
Fun fact: if you bought a launch 360 and it failed within 3 years, you have a new 360 for free

So after all this time you still don't understand why this is feeding people misinformation?

Said the pot to the kettle...

Quote:
Microsoft denied any problem with the XBox 360 (well within industry standards) until lawsuits pressed them to admit the problems to its shareholders, there's nothing heroic about this.

Also the extended warranty only covered RRoD issues, experiencing other hardware failures was not covered by warranty and data shows the remaining issues excluding RRoD issues still outdo all kinds of hardware failures on the PS3 combined.

In any case does the XBox 360 support any of those features you are upset about of having been removed?

So you think it's great after buying a XBox 360 launch unit you had to buy a new console to have HDMI and now you have to buy a new console again to have integrated WiFi. I don't share such viewpoints at all.

I could have just bought the VGA->HDMI adapter... HDMI was a feature that was ADDED to 360(s)... How is this even similar? Actually it's the opposite of Sony's process...
As for MS' denial, until X amount of units have failed, it is tough to admit to an issue without sufficient facts and time to analyze them. When the facts were indeed undeniable, they went above and beyond to fix with (3 year warranty on RRoD failures) even refunding money. Other failiures seemed to be in line with the electronics industry so why extend the warranty on those? When has Sony extended a warranty or refunded repair costs?

I should also note that it is only Sony fanboys that like to bring up RRoD despite the fact that it is an issue of the past. MS fanboys will bring up removing 'Other OS' until it is also an issue of the past...(aka 'Other OS' comes back).

Last edited by Lou on 08-Jul-2010 at 09:07 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 21:16:26
#790 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
RRoD despite the fact that it is an issue of the past

Even if that's the case (which hasn't been proven to be a fact), why would you be surprised when people like you try to demonize Sony while glorifying Microsoft?

The hardware failures of the XBox 360 and the fire hazard issues of the original XBox are amongst the top 2 worst cases ever in game console history. When a XBox burns down a house and kills a baby that makes any complaint you may have about the removal of PS2 chips in the PS3 or removal of Linux seem insignificant.

Last edited by MikeB on 08-Jul-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 21:30:02
#791 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
RRoD despite the fact that it is an issue of the past

Even if that's the case (which hasn't been proven to be a fact), why would you be surprised when people like you try to demonize Sony while glorifying Microsoft?

The hardware failures of the XBox 360 and the fire hazard issues of the original XBox are amongst the top 2 worst cases ever in game console history. When a XBox burns down a house and kills a baby that makes any complaint you may have about the removal of PS2 chips in the PS3 or removal of Linux seem insignificant.

Glorifying?
You really like to put words in people's mouths don't you?

Did you know keeping a gas stove in your house is a fire hazzard? Perhaps you should remove it before your house catches on fire...

Before you claim babies are being killed, why don't you quote a report when this did happen? You are really going above and beyond in demonizing MS now, aren't you? Then you wonder why I point the fanboy-finger in your general direction.

Please also never buy a Ford as the Taurus has many documented cases of catching fire...who cares that they aren't still made - Ford is the devil - end of story.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 21:44:49
#792 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Glorifying?

That's not putting words into people's mouths, you hailed the original XBox as a good quality product (despite the mass recall years later) and highlight you think Microsoft handled the XBox 360 mass failures adequately while in fact for years (yes many years!) they denied these isues and knew about these issues before the console launched (developers already experienced mass failures beforehand and many day one buyers found a dead 360 out of the box).

So not putting words into your mouth, just a simple analysis on my part.

I expect quality for other products as well, for some kinds of product it is known you should be careful and use it like stated in the manual (like a gas stove). The XBox issues we are talking about can happen with proper usage of the console.

Last edited by MikeB on 08-Jul-2010 at 09:46 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 22:39:28
#793 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
IMO it sucks having to pay extra to play online on the XBox 360, but it sucks even more you have to pay even more to play various 360 games online on the same console.
Can you explain this? This sounds as if gaming costs more than a Gold subscription. As for your example I was lost.

Quote:
I even read some downloadable content cannot be shared on the 360, sounds strange,
Downloadable Games were a problem if you replaced your 360. At one time if you changed 360s the content didn't get registered to the new console properly. That's been fixed.

If you followed this thread my original 360 RRoD just shy of 2 years old. I bought a new Elite. Everything moved and everyone can use it. So no the content problem you mention is not a problem. The 2+ year old Elite RRoD and I had to register the content on the Jasper Elite replacement. Again everything works.

Quote:
I more look at it as an ugly bulky lowend PC which could potentially burn down your house
If paying attention the house is fairly saveable. Imagine the people who got their privates burned in the Sony exploding battery problems.

Quote:
you think Microsoft handled the XBox 360 mass failures adequately while in fact for years (yes many years!) they denied these isues
Many years? You need a calendar. Nov 2005 the console launched. Summer 2007 the 3 year extension of the warranty was announced. Shy of 2 years, considerably less than many.

Quote:
Again flash back to 2005. Few TVs had HDMI, it was an emerging standard. Most HDTVs had DVI and/or VGA. The 360 did VGA. The 360 did HD over component. HDMI's plus is the 1 cable vs seperate video and sound. Is there any HDTV's without components?

I think the problem Lou and I are having is your logic. You are arguing you prefer a console that's lower in cost with removed features since launch (PS3) to a console that's lower in cost with added features since launch (360). Strange but hey run with it.

@Lou
Nice catch on MikeB's double standard on Linux support and the PS3. A good example of how MikeB portrays the PS3's god-like status.

Quote:
I do recall complaints about original PS3's overheating due to excessive dust in fan vents.
Or, like my PS3, the original PS3s did have a noisy fan during Blu-Ray playback. Obviously just not significant enough to get Sony to fix it. And I might be scared of Sony's fix. I've read original PS3s sent to them don't always get fixed. One might get a new console in exchange. Rock on, unless you want to play PS2 games or use Linux. BOO!

And of course Sony never extended their 2nd console's warranty though the well documented PS2 failure rates.

Lou 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 23:36:24
#794 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
Glorifying?

That's not putting words into people's mouths, you hailed the original XBox as a good quality product (despite the mass recall years later) and highlight you think Microsoft handled the XBox 360 mass failures adequately while in fact for years (yes many years!) they denied these isues and knew about these issues before the console launched (developers already experienced mass failures beforehand and many day one buyers found a dead 360 out of the box).

So not putting words into your mouth, just a simple analysis on my part.

I expect quality for other products as well, for some kinds of product it is known you should be careful and use it like stated in the manual (like a gas stove). The XBox issues we are talking about can happen with proper usage of the console.

The recall was on the flipping power cord, MikeB, not the whole system. MS mailed them out to anyone registered, iirc. You make is sound like the system had to be sent back in. It was a $1 power cord. Unbelievable. For all we know the supplier simply supplied MS with an inferior product which was out of spec. Also, do you have stats on how many babies died? MS replaced them all on the *possibility* even though they probably had several suppliers of said cord and only one of them potentially defective.

By the way, Nintendo sent out Wii rubber cushion covers/grip to cover Wii Remotes to make them softer and have a less chance of hurting anyone when they got too excited playing with the Wii and lost their grip. Does that mean the Wii Remote was poorly designed? What about the straps? I still have 2 original Wii Remotes from launch day and I have never lost control of them nor has my strap broken nor will I put on those condoms... I guess my Wii experience is DOOMED! I'd better go find a molehill now... I suddenly have the urge to climb a mountain...

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 23:42:42
#795 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Can you explain this? This sounds as if gaming costs more than a Gold subscription. As for your example I was lost.

Badly worded, pay more for having multiple user accounts online on the same console.

Quote:
Imagine the people who got their privates burned in the Sony exploding battery problems.

I haven't read about reports about burning privates. Surely the faulty batteries is something that shouldn't have happened, but Sony makes a lot of different consumer electronics and overall they have a very solid safety record.

Rechargable batteries are one of the type of products which are considered *risky*, just like Lou's gas stove. There aren't warnings (including of explosion and leakage danger) on rechargeable batteries for nothing.

Let's put it this way. I never disconnect my PS3 or HDTV when leaving my home, but I sure as hell make sure I disconnect any recharging batteries (in the past checked my gas oven, I now have an electric one). Just common sense IMO.

Recent example from 2010:
http://www.attorneyatlaw.com/2010/02/rechargeable-battery-recall-fire-and-burn-hazards-cited/

"About 8,600 rechargeable batteries sold with wireless touch panels for audio/visual systems are being recalled because of the risks of fires and burns to users.

The batteries were sold with MVP 5000 Series Wireless Touch Panels made by AMX of Richardson, Texas"

Understand?

Quote:
Nov 2005 the console launched. Summer 2007 the 3 year extension of the warranty was announced

These issues were known long before the XBox 360 launched, as an insider source states:

"Low yields always indicate serious design and manufacturing defects. Management chose to continue to ship anyways"

Quote:
Few TVs had HDMI, it was an emerging standard

Many million of HDMI HDTVs were sold before the XBox 360 launched. With Panasonic/Matsushita, Philips, Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba and other companies founding this standard and its industry wide support from companies including Fox, Universal, Warner Bros, Disney, etc in 2002, it was well known HDMI would become the defacto standard for HDTVs before production began in 2003.

Quote:
Nice catch on MikeB's double standard on Linux support and the PS3

Kiddy behaviour?

Last edited by MikeB on 08-Jul-2010 at 11:54 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Jul-2010 23:48:54
#796 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
The recall was on the flipping power cord, MikeB, not the whole system.

A fire hazard is a fire hazard, don't you agree?

Anyway according to reports the core problem was internal, but the new power cords reduce the risks / protects.

I think you think too lightheartedly about acceptable safety standards for entertainment devices. I wouldn't buy any consumer electronics product you would sell.

Lou 
Posted on 9-Jul-2010 3:41:46
#797 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
The recall was on the flipping power cord, MikeB, not the whole system.

A fire hazard is a fire hazard, don't you agree?

Anyway according to reports the core problem was internal, but the new power cords reduce the risks / protects.

I think you think too lightheartedly about acceptable safety standards for entertainment devices. I wouldn't buy any consumer electronics product you would sell.

No but this was a minor issue with only 2 incidents that I can actually recall and it didn't even manifest until about 3 years in, so when I say you are over-exagerating the issue, that's exactly what I mean. You have posted no statistics of actual fires. Poop like this happens all the time with consumer electronics.

As BrianK mention, the batteries in Sony & Dell laptops (that Sony supplied) were a larger issue as I had to replace several batteries at work back then because of it. So Sony is just as guilty @ killing babies as MS.

Note: I don't own any MS hardware...and will never buy Sony hardware again either since they kill babies too.

Last edited by Lou on 09-Jul-2010 at 03:48 AM.

BrianK 
Posted on 9-Jul-2010 4:00:43
#798 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Badly worded, pay more for having multiple user accounts online on the same console.
The answer is, it depends. If a friend w/o a 360 comes over and wants to jump online with you then you can. No additional charges apply. However, a permanent record isn't created for them. Nor does the $50 fee apply. Makes sense as it's a 'one time' ordeal. If a friend who has a LIVE account comes over they can sign into your 360 with their LIVE account. They paid the $50 already so no additional fees apply. Now if you have someone in your house that wants a permanent record and wants to use the full features of live then they are an additional fee. Currently it's $50 for 1 person or $100 for up to 4 people. Since Gold is not free I see little reason why it should be free for someone that wants to use the full functionality.

Of course anyone can create a silver account for no charge, earn acheivements and compare those against other players.

Quote:
Understand?
MikeB you leave your readers with the impression that Sony can do no wrong. This is why various boards have people calling you a fanboy. It's because you display those traits strongly.

It's not only that you 'correct' the 360 crowd. You over exaggerate the correction. You claim things such as a denial of the 360 problem for many years. In reality it was less than 2. In my usage couple < few < several < many. Many is overexageration to the point that it is wrong. If you want to correct people do it without exaggeration. Another recent example was your use of the PS3 'considerably' selling more software than the 360. The difference was about 10%. 10% is not considerable. For the millionth time don't exaggerate and you won't come off as a fanboy.

Quote:
Many million of HDMI HDTVs were sold before the XBox 360 launched.
HDMI at the time was the minority. Most HDTVs had DVI, as this was the first standard. Besides that a larger amount had VGA over HDMI. Now that HDMI has replaced the DVI standard the 360 has it. The visual quality of using HDMI is not improved over VGA or component. And of coures HDMI, over DVI, allows companies to enforce DRM standards. They haven't yet but it's all in place.

Quote:
Kiddy behaviour?
Whatever you want to call your own behavior is fine with me. When you jump up and down and declare Linux on the PS3 is the best thing since sliced bread then when it's removed argue how good it is that Sony cut the feature you certainly are not being consistent. Well, except for your unstoppable wet kisses for Sony.

Last edited by BrianK on 09-Jul-2010 at 04:01 AM.

BrianK 
Posted on 9-Jul-2010 4:03:58
#799 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
As BrianK mention, the batteries in Sony & Dell laptops (that Sony supplied) were a larger issue as I had to replace several batteries at work back then because of it. So Sony is just as guilty @ killing babies as MS
The thing that confuses me is = Sony is asked by the US Gov to issue a battery recall. The PS2 problems are well document, Sony has done nothing, even now. The PS3 pulls features and is facing at least 4 class action lawsuits. But, somehow, someway Sony can do no wrong?

Lou 
Posted on 9-Jul-2010 5:02:52
#800 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
As BrianK mention, the batteries in Sony & Dell laptops (that Sony supplied) were a larger issue as I had to replace several batteries at work back then because of it. So Sony is just as guilty @ killing babies as MS
The thing that confuses me is = Sony is asked by the US Gov to issue a battery recall. The PS2 problems are well document, Sony has done nothing, even now. The PS3 pulls features and is facing at least 4 class action lawsuits. But, somehow, someway Sony can do no wrong?

If he doesn't own stock, he must be a distributor or retailer heavily invested in Sony products in some way, nothing else makes sense...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle