Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 101 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

bhabbott

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  2 mins ago
 minator:  12 mins ago
 pixie:  33 mins ago
 zipper:  44 mins ago
 Birbo:  52 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 broadblues:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 57 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 2)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 )
PosterThread
Interesting 
Re:Gameplay vs. Graphics
Posted on 15-May-2008 2:33:23
#801 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@wegster

Quote:
I think I've only seen one case myself where 360 looks 'sharper,

the public must agree on this or something?

Xbox 360 reaches 10 million U.S. sales before Wii or PS3

Quote:
"History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle," Don Mattrick, a Microsoft senior vice president who heads the company's Xbox business, said in a statement.

link

I think I've read something like this before.....ah yes! Looks like MS is going to do a Blu ray on Sony

Profile     Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 15-May-2008 12:16:55
#802 ]
Elite Member

@Interesting

[Quote:
Xbox 360 reaches 10 million U.S. sales before Wii or PS3
When reminded the Wii has sold 25M worldwide Microsoft responded "we apologize for any confusion. Xbox 360 has the largest global install base of any current gen, high definition gaming console" 360 has 12M people on Live and 19M consoles sold.

Sony: FY08 resulted in 9.3M PS3s sold. PS3 has 12M consoles sold. They've estimated at least 10M sales in 2009. FY08 resulted in 13.4M PS2s sold.

This year may be a close race. If Sony sells ~10M then Microsoft only needs ~3M in sales to keep their position. I had predicted PS3 would outsell the 360 by year end. Looking at that ratio I think it'll be close. If Sony can't pull ahead this year then they will by next year. Of course PS3 will own non-USA regions and the 360 will own the USA.

(Pssst Microsoft add Blu-Ray and you'll pull that leg outta the PS3.)

EDIT: Fixed typo on 13.4M.

Last edited by BrianK on 15-May-2008 at 03:25 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 15-May-2008 12:25:06
#803 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

By the end of March 2008, Sony sold 12.85 million PS3s to retailers worldwide. (in an equal timeframe Microsoft sold 11 million to retailers worlwide by the end of March 2007, slower sales despite lower entry price and a 5 months more headstart for PAL countries and even more for some other smaller markets)

On the 25th of April 2008 it was announced Microsoft sold 19 million 360s to retailers worldwide.

360 retailer sales by now should be well beyond 19 million and PS3 sales well beyond 13 million.

The 12 million Live accounts includes free Silver accounts which only allows people to download demos and such (no online multiplayer). Some temporary Gold accounts will have been created for free Gold month RRoD compensation and free months supplied with Microsoft games (I got a free month with Gears of War, a ggenuine subsription wasn't worth it for me though).

Lou 
Posted on 15-May-2008 19:12:13
#804 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:

Samwel wrote:

Seriously.. When is Wii getting any serious 3rd party games then?
I'm not that interested in any of those children type of games Nintendo
is putting out.

How about this from Platinum Games to be published by Sega:
Quote:
Finally, the studio showed off Madworld, a button-mashing, remote-swinging black and white bloodbath directed by Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami.

In the game, due to hit in the first quarter of 2009, you play as leather jacket wearing badass competing in a ultraviolent reality show that has you killing street thugs in as many creative ways as possible.

During the demo the lead character threw mo-hawked bad guys against spiked walls, into steel-bladed trash dumpsters that cut them in two, tore out a man's still beating heart, impaled another bad guy with a caution sign and then pulverized his still moving body into a wall of spikes and chainsawed someone in half... length-wise.

The black and white art direction looks like something yanked from Sin City and the over the top violence is almost cartoonish enough to not be gory, which is what the studio was shooting for.

"Madworld was a challenge for us," said Minami. "We didn't want to create a dark and perverse game, but something over the top— comical."

The Wii title fills an important hole in the Nintendo console line up, the studio said, providing hardcore gamers something to play.

BrianK 
Posted on 15-May-2008 19:42:46
#805 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Guardian UK Claims $260 loss per PS3.

Lou 
Posted on 15-May-2008 20:27:30
#806 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@Lou

So I should buy one out of spite, huh?

BrianK 
Posted on 15-May-2008 21:26:37
#807 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Quote:

So I should buy one out of spite, huh?

That was my original point on the original Xbox. It was costing Microsoft money. So the Microsoft haters should buy one and make Microsoft's financials worse. Subsequently the Xbox could be hacked and run Linux even more afront to MS Windows 2000 used for the Xbox OS. Certainly the same logic applies with the PS3 at this point.

Samwel 
Posted on 16-May-2008 0:14:42
#808 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Have a look at the quarters.. Since the 3rd quarter Sony is making a profit on
the gaming division. So this full year should show a profit.
And an even larger profit if they manage to lower the manufacturing cost of
Blu-ray and Cell/graphics chip die size in the fall as rumoured.

Yes the PS3 is probably still selling at a loss as it was told it cost 400$/unit
to manufacture and sells for a lot less from Sony. But 260$/unit? That would
maybe be true if they calculated the sales of the 60GB together with the 40GB
for the full year. You could maybe say "Sony sold the PS3 at a 260$/unit loss
in 2007", not that they currently are doing so..

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

BrianK 
Posted on 16-May-2008 5:23:13
#809 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Reading the Guardian article they make some large assumptions to get to $260 per unit loss. I'm dubious of that exact figure.

Supposedly the PS3 was losing about $300 per unit at launch. They've since dropped the PS2 emulation hardware and made some revisions. Certainly during this time the price of Blu-Ray players has come down to. But, also so has Sony's price. Most estimates I see are $120-$150 estimate range for current shipping consoles.

Quote:
Since the 3rd quarter Sony is making a profit on the gaming division. So this full year should show a profit.
As of 5/14/08 Sony's statement was that the PS3 has reduced it's inital losses. It's not profitable yet. The profit in gaming came from PS2 and PSP, units and games. In 4Q the PS2 console has slipped. So did game profits by 6.4%. This year the PS2 profits are going to decrease as users begin leaving the console. Subsequently the PS2 contributions will dwindle and with that profit. Sony's job this year is to ramp up PS3 profitability otherwise they'll be back in the losses again. I think Sony will be able to make this transistion and will have gaming profits at the end of the year.

Interesting Sony is projecting an 8% gain of PS3 sales in the coming year. Nintendo? 34% .

BrianK 
Posted on 16-May-2008 5:40:02
#810 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
By the end of March 2008, Sony sold 12.85 million PS3s to retailers worldwide. (in an equal timeframe Microsoft sold 11 million to retailers worlwide by the end of March 2007, slower sales despite lower entry price and a 5 months more headstart for PAL countries and even more for some other smaller markets)
I agree with you. Though what I find interesting is that we see Sony, clear #1 last gen, in a close race for #2 with Microsoft, who was a trailing #3 last gen.

Quote:
The 12 million Live accounts includes free Silver accounts which only allows people to download demos and such (no online multiplayer).
And they're still Live accounts.

BTW. Silver can do more then 'only download demos and such'. The 'such' is pretty important, IMO. There's VoIP, Game/TV/Movie shopping (for the majority of users), game and console patches, free content for games, viewing friends, comparing acheivements, and I'm sure I'm missing something. Certainly many gamers don't care to play head-to-head online nor care about being first for trailers, so silver is a great option.

Doesn't Sony's free online game play have a lower % of owners at any time then Microsoft, who charge for their online play? I hope Home, now slipped to fall 08, will increase their userbase. Likely Microsoft service will continue to improve too.

MikeB 
Posted on 16-May-2008 9:24:37
#811 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Certainly many gamers don't care to play head-to-head online nor care about being first for trailers, so silver is a great option.

Great option? Without paying your stuck without online play. What if you buy a game you want to play just every now and then but mostly play off-line, go on vacation, etc? IMO having to subscribe with Microsoft for online play is an additional ought to be free hassle.

Quote:
Doesn't Sony's free online game play have a lower % of owners at any time then Microsoft, who charge for their online play?

AFAIK there's no exact comparison data on this, the most popular online game was Call of Duty 4 even considerably beating Halo 3 on the 360. The company only stated online multiplayer on the PS3 is "monstrously huge".

Lou 
Posted on 16-May-2008 11:53:56
#812 ]
Elite Member

The PSP has had a resurgence for Sony since I think October or November. It's been helping Sony alot. But can it keep the momentum going? You know Nintendo already is deep into development of it's next handheld. Some analyst predict an announcement at E3 for a further revision of the DS, perhaps adding more memory and capability... Giving it more multi-media capabilities to match the PSP.

I think Nintendo needs to push Wii-DS linking. Ghostbusters on the Wii lets you use the DS as a PKG meter... Similar to how the GBA was used as a radar screen in Splinter Cell on the Gamecube...

I have an idea for a poker game where each DS shows an individual player his deck of cards... The game could be played with the Wii as dealer or another DS... Texas Hold'em Poker has been pretty big in the US lately...

Lou 
US NPD
Posted on 16-May-2008 12:51:18
#813 ]
Elite Member

From Next-gen.biz:
Quote:
In the five days left in the retail calendar following the April 29 release of GTA IV on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Rockstar's criminally brilliant open world action game sold 2.85 million units across both platforms, according to data released Thursday by research firm NPD Group.

The game helped push total industry sales to $1.23 billion for the month.

The Xbox 360 version of GTA IV was the top-selling game for the month, selling 1.85 million units. The PS3 version, despite the console's smaller installed base, still sold 1 million units, securing the third spot on the chart.

Mario Kart for Wii was caught in the GTA IV sandwich at the number two slot with 1.12 million sold.

Total software sales were $654.7 million, a 68 percent year-on-year increase for April.

NPD analyst Anita Fraizer said, "GTA IV captured two of the three top game spots, realizing an attach rate of 20 percent to the combined Xbox 360 and PS3 install bases. With only five days at retail during the reporting month, GTA IV is one of the fastest-selling titles in videogames history."

On a global basis, GTA IV publisher Take-Two said the game generated about $500 million in its first week, breaking retail records.

Many in the industry expected that GTA IV would be a significant sales driver for PS3 and Xbox 360. But hardware figures for both consoles actually dropped month-over-month.

In April, Xbox 360 sold 188,000 units, down from 262,000 last in March. PS3 was virtually neck-and-neck with its rival with 187,100 sold in April, down from 257,000 a month prior.

Frazier commented, "...Since [GTA IV] was only in the market for five days during this reporting period, that [hardware] sales lift could very well be evident in May data."

Once again, it was the Wii that set the hardware charts on fire. The console sold 714,200 units, easily outselling its more expensive competitors combined.

The Nintendo DS had another strong month with 414,800 units sold, while the PSP sold 192,700 and the aging PS2 still managed 124,400 units.

Total hardware sales were up 26 percent to $426.2 million.

Frazier said, "This is the first month in many that we've seen a decrease in portable hardware and software sales, but it's important to remember that this year, the Easter holiday fell in March as compared to April in 2007. April 2007 and March 2008 saw sizable games in portable in part due to the holiday timing."

Accessories were up 39 percent to $154 million.

Here are the rest of the top-selling titles in April, including bundles and special editions, according to NPD:

360 GTA IV--1.85mm
Wii Mario Kart w/ wheel--1.12mm
PS3 GTA IV--1.00mm
Wii Play--360K
Wii Super Smash Bros. Brawl--326K
PS3 Gran Turismo 5: Prologue--224K
DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness--202K
DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time--202K
Wii Guitar Hero III--152K
360 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare--141K

Damn, I still need to pick up Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brother Brawl, Mario Kart Wii ... however World of Warcraft has a deathgrip on me...I'm about to ding 70 with my gnome rogue...

Anyway, Guitar Hero 3's Wii edition continues to extend it's lead over the other platforms' sales. I did buy Wii Play back in Dec '06 though...does that make me sorta with it?
At this pace, by June/July, the Wii's US userbase should surpass the 360's... The 360/PS3 will probably continue to sell neck and neck. It seems GTA4 sales didn't help drive hardware sales at all. 360 needs BluRay in order to pull ahead of the PS3, imho...

And the Wii needs more internal flash memory and better support of SD card and USB storage... Can't wait for E3 announcements!!!!

BrianK 
Posted on 16-May-2008 14:52:15
#814 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Great option? Without paying your stuck without online play.
Like I said if the user doesn't care about online play silver is a great option as it gives you nearly everything except online play.

Quote:
What if you buy a game you want to play just every now and then but mostly play off-line, go on vacation, etc? IMO having to subscribe with Microsoft for online play is an additional ought to be free hassle.
Subscribing to online is probably as hassle free as one can make a pay subscribition. Enter your account info (required for free or pay sites). Then enter your code from a card and/or use a credit card. Certainly about as hassle free as a pay service can be.

Sony has released a user count with online infrequently. April 07 they claimed 1.2M users. Jan 08 they claimed 2.9M users. 2.9M is not monstrously huge compared either the 360's rate or the % of consoles online. It's a far second.

MikeB 
Posted on 17-May-2008 12:10:10
#815 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Sony has released a user count with online infrequently. April 07 they claimed 1.2M users. Jan 08 they claimed 2.9M users. 2.9M is not monstrously huge compared either the 360's rate or the % of consoles online. It's a far second.

If you try to make a point why not go through with it?

12 million XBox Live accounts of which a majority cannot play online multi-player games, this devided over a 18 million install base translates into less than 66% users setting up a free or non-free Live account, thus a small minority of the 360's total userbase is able to play online games.

Looking at your supplied 2.9 M US PSN accounts figure for North America in January, divided over about ~4 million (of which about 3.6 million in the United States) PS3 install base in January translates into 72.5% of users of which everyone can play online games.

So your provided data means nothing with regard to your claim of a higher percentage of 360 users playing online games.

Last edited by MikeB on 17-May-2008 at 12:58 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 17-May-2008 14:41:50
#816 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
So your provided data means nothing with regard to your claim of a higher percentage of 360 users playing online games.
Umm there's more Online then playing games. There's downloading games and buying content. Xbox Live far outstrips the Sony Online service with downloads and purchases. For example all 12M users will be able to download the GTA additional in game content. That's huge for GTA's extra sales of it's expanding game.

I disagree with your assumption that the same # of 360 users can game head to head that do on the PS3. My take with friends is they all have Gold. Gold pentration is likely much larger then you believe it to be.

However, your point is taken until we know Gold count per month we don't know how many people could play online and we don't know how much actually do. Same goes for Sony we don't know how many actually play online.

We know a bit -- 1M users playing Halo3 online on day 1 and 1.2-1.3M COD4 online for the 360 are examples -- but it doesn't tell us how many users were playing other games.

Last edited by BrianK on 17-May-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Seer 
Posted on 17-May-2008 16:32:53
#817 ]
Team Member

@All

Locking and made a new thread where you can continue.

tomazkid 
Posted on 18-May-2008 0:32:16
#818 ]
Team Member

Just adding a link to

the new thread.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle