Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 54 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

Kronos,  matthey,  Karlos

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  4 mins ago
 Kronos:  4 mins ago
 matthey:  4 mins ago
 pavlor:  8 mins ago
 pixie:  11 mins ago
 retrofaza:  12 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lou 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Posted on 28-Sep-2009 5:03:28
#861 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

LOL, how you make this thread a Snes vs Neo Geo thread.

That's entirely besides the point. It's no secret Super Mario World is one of my all time favourites. In no way have I been attacking the Snes in this thread or elsewhere.

Super Mario World doesn't require much storage, because it does not have a great varierty of high quality assets. Instead Super Mario World relied on many different tricks, like processing effects or for example the clouds and bushes were actually the same assets with a different color palette.

Yes, I also thought Super Mario World looked much better than PC platformers at the time. That's actually the whole point I was making, the Snes had very little graphics memory, the PC had tons of Ram in comparison. Also for example emulating Super Mario World, you can make it look even better than it did on the original hardware by using advanced filters, again a calculating effect.

Please take a step back and calm down a little. Then you will know there's nothing I stated for you to be so upset about.

As for fairlanefastback aka Ausfalcon, sorry I think you are a pretty weird individual...

Who's upset? Oh and fyi you were the one who brought up the Neo Geo

Who mentioned PC platformers?

What does SMW have to do with the price of tea in China?

Why do you answer questions that were never asked?

Profile     Report this post  
Lou 
Posted on 28-Sep-2009 5:06:44
#862 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 (PS3) vs Ninja Gaide 2 (360)

It has extra features amongst many other improvements compared to the orignal. Of course the game was designed around the 360's capabilities, so it's not really a PS3 focussed game like exclusives such as Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5 or Uncharted 2.

But still nicely upgraded it seems, they upped the rendering resolution, upped the texture resolution and improved the lighting.

XBox 360 original:
http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_09.jpg

PS3 port:
http://www3.telus.net/public/dhwag/NG2vsSigma_10.jpg

Unlike most comparisons the difference between both versions are well noticeable to the advantage of the PS3. The PS3 version also supports sixaxis controlled breasts!

Timed-eclusives for 360 are funding better ports for the PS3:
http://www.get360achievements.com/news/3415/rumor-microsoft-exclusivity-deals-funding-ps3-development-in-japan

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 28-Sep-2009 14:01:11
#863 ]
Team Member

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:
@MikeB

Who's upset? Oh and fyi you were the one who brought up the Neo Geo

Who mentioned PC platformers?

What does SMW have to do with the price of tea in China?

Why do you answer questions that were never asked?

Amiga 1200

BrianK 
Posted on 28-Sep-2009 14:12:55
#864 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
It looks like the PS3 release of Final Fantasy XIII will be the final death blow for the XBox 360 in Japan later this year
A hopeful guess.

The Xbox 360 continues to do better than the Xbox in Japan. Sales of the 360 aren't huge but didn't drop off when the slimline PS3 was released. Microsoft clearly has to play in Japan. They will stay in the market even though they sell about 5-10K/week.

Quote:
Wii developers are eager to use Sony's motion controller for porting their Wii games, probably such mini games will be improved on and with sharp HD visuals to be distributed on the PSN
Makes sense to me. Why not port to the #2 console in the region and get more sales. Of course these things are nothing the 360 can't do. Just like the PS3 the 360 is free oneline to purchase content from the store.

BrianK 
Posted on 28-Sep-2009 14:18:43
#865 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Timed-eclusives for 360 are funding better ports for the PS3:
http://www.get360achievements.com/news/3415/rumor-microsoft-exclusivity-deals-funding-ps3-development-in-japan
Nice article thanks.

This reconfirms the theme we see over and over again. The PS3 is a more expensive console to program. Though Microsoft's strategy seems to be paying off in small ways as they continue to see profits with the 360. Sony on the other hand...

If I were Microsoft I might extend the 12 month lock to 18 months. Delay the PS3 games even more.

Last edited by BrianK on 28-Sep-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 28-Sep-2009 16:08:43
#866 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Or make them locked to the console generation...

BigD 
Posted on 28-Sep-2009 16:50:50
#867 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

I'm fed up with this generation of consoles. Every one of the big three is flawed in a very important area.

PPS3 - No backwards compatibility, more expensive than the 360 for worse games/graphics/convertions!

Wii - PS2 level hardware with a gimicky controller = dull party game shovelware that is by and large worse than the EyeToy - Wario Party is rubbish!

XBox360- RRoD is a no go - I want my electronics to last!

I'll hold onto my PS2 but I no longer view modern games as worth the bother - sign of growing up I guess!

BrianK 
Posted on 28-Sep-2009 18:12:11
#868 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
PS3 - No backwards compatibility, more expensive than the 360 for worse games/graphics/convertions
Not sure what UK prices are but in the US the PS3 and 360 are the same price for the 120GB systems. Also of note there seems to be rumblingss of launch PS3 failing out of warranty and with OS updates.

Quote:
XBox360- RRoD is a no go - I want my electronics to last!
Did you see one of MikeB's posts a few pages ago? It contained recent research. It demonstrates the problem 360s are launch consoles. The more recent models, Jasper, are close to industry standards. Since Jasper came out at the end of 08 I'd be suprised if all of models on shelves aren't Jaspers.

Wii -- sorry I have the above and really don't follow the Wii.

2010 brings a wireless controller to the PS3 and a non-controller to the 360. I'd say it might be worth waiting a year and see which you like better.

Perhaps one question is when will the next generation come? I believe the Wii-HD will be first to market. Followed by Microsoft then Sony. Right now I wouldn't expect a new Microsoft or Sony console prior to 2012. But, it's anyone's guess.

If if you want to stay at PS2 generation but might like some more games the used market for Gamecubes and Xboxes is good and inexpensive.

Lou 
Posted on 28-Sep-2009 18:25:33
#869 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Thread

Wii - PS2 level hardware with a gimicky controller = dull party game shovelware that is by and large worse than the EyeToy - Wario Party is rubbish!

Please don't confuse titles released for the Wii and PS2 concurrently as real Wii games. They are cash-in ports using PS2 assets as the lowest common denominator.

BigD 
Posted on 28-Sep-2009 19:07:09
#870 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Please don't confuse titles released for the Wii and PS2 concurrently as real Wii games.

I'm not! If you go round a mates house and he's got a PS3 you get to see some state of the art graphics and classic downloadable content. I love Streetfighter IV.

When you go to a Wii owning household you have to play stupid party game rubbish even though they have Paper Mario you are still obliged to play bilge so that everyone can have a go! Sony's/Sega's attempts at this were far more fun!!! Mario is for kids and the Wii is for kids or sad sheep like adults. Call of Duty World at War cannot compete with the PS3 version because it can't handle two player, hence back come the party games!!!

Lou 
Posted on 28-Sep-2009 20:53:04
#871 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
Please don't confuse titles released for the Wii and PS2 concurrently as real Wii games.

I'm not! If you go round a mates house and he's got a PS3 you get to see some state of the art graphics and classic downloadable content. I love Streetfighter IV.

When you go to a Wii owning household you have to play stupid party game rubbish even though they have Paper Mario you are still obliged to play bilge so that everyone can have a go! Sony's/Sega's attempts at this were far more fun!!! Mario is for kids and the Wii is for kids or sad sheep like adults. Call of Duty World at War cannot compete with the PS3 version because it can't handle two player, hence back come the party games!!!

Well, now you go from comparing it to a PS2 to a PS3.
Should I now compare a PS2 to a GC and tell you how superior the GC was to the PS2?

Perhaps your problem is that you go to people's houses with Mario and party games. Why not look at actual good software like Metriod Prime 3, The Conduit, Overlord and other adult games that you ignore while putting down the Wii?

What makes games like LBP and Viva Pinata more "adult" than Mario Galaxy? I could point out a substantial # of such "kiddie" titles on the 360 and PS3.

Kids don't have $. Adults do. There are simply more adults who want to play Wii Sports Bowling than count head shots online in Halo x or Killzone y.

Once Sony gets it's motion controller down, the same critics of the Wii can be blessed with Wii shovelware ports of party games. Enjoy!

BigD 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 8:50:34
#872 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Perhaps your problem is that you go to people's houses with Mario and party games. Why not look at actual good software like Metriod Prime 3, The Conduit, Overlord and other adult games that you ignore while putting down the Wii?

No one (I know) buys any good games on the Wii I'm afraid! Wii Sports seems to be the limit for most people. If they buy anything else it's things like Rabbid Rabbits, Wii Play or Wario Party rather than Metroid or Overlord! In fact the simple games on Wii Play are quite close in character to Rabbid Rabbits if I'm honest. This isn't a revolution but an excuse to create rubbish and charge for it! Wii sales obscure the real problem that casual tat game developers are being rewarded while serious developers can't turn a profit on the 'kiddy' console!

P.S. If there's a motion controller on the PS3, I won't be any nearer to buying one!

Last edited by BigD on 29-Sep-2009 at 08:53 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 8:57:27
#873 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Well, now you go from comparing it to a PS2 to a PS3.

Sadly the Wii is like a Generation 6.5 console - stradling the generations. It has the graphics grunt of a PS2 but is competing directly with the PS3 as a new console. It has downloadable content, and online play but most people seem happy to just bowl and play tennis on Wii Sports! The PS2 has a software library to be proud of, the Wii has a train crash of tat with only backwards compatibility with the GameCube as a saving grace for hard core gamers! Okami has failed (again) and the only graphic adventure to take advantage of the ideal Wiimote mechanic is The Fate of Atlantis which a bonus feature on the latest Indiana Jones Game, but as expected no one I know has bought this, and you bet I wouldn't be allowed to play it if they did have it! Party games rule it seems.

No wonder the Wii has only just got a price cut (but it's not going to be passed on to customers in the UK ), people don't buy many games for the Wii, Nintendo are better off making a fair profit from the 'Revolutionary' hardware.

Last edited by BigD on 29-Sep-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 29-Sep-2009 at 09:01 AM.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 11:04:59
#874 ]

@BigD

Strange people you know.
I myself own a Wii and I'm a proud owner of Red-Steel, Force Unleashed, Zelda Twilight Princess, Resident Evil4 and Victorious Boxers. Only party games I do have are Sports (cometh with the Wii itself), Wii Play (bought it with second controller) and Wii Fit.

My friends all have a Wii and own games like Lego Batman, Lego StarWars, Metroid Prime, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, House of the Dead overkill, Guitar Hero, No more Heroes, Dysaster days of Crisis, Mario Galaxy, Dragon Sword and others.

I am also playing Quake1 and several classic point&click adventures through Homebrew.

I can count tons of hard core titles here and very few kiddy party games.
Add to that we are all waiting for RedSteel2, Monster Hunter Tri, Silent Hill and Fragile to come out in Italy for buying them
As for Okami I've not got it due to GameStop's short storages (and my not perfect timing on buying it).
Ah, as soon as I've some spare money I'll sureli give Mad World a go.

So, as you can see, an hard core gaming group has even too much money to spend if can pick good games from the ####ty Wii gaming library (I give it to you, 90% of Wii games are complete rubbish...)

But the thing that most upsets me is that you (and with you lots of other blind people) are giving all the guilt of those kiddy games to the new and innovative controllers Nintendo created for it's new console.
If you want to point out a good cause for this, please point at Software Houses that see evolution only in GFX and CPU technical departments.

Some of you defined Wii as 6.5 generation console. Basing on which scale? DirectX complaint level? GPU uber powerness?
Aren't we becoming a bit boring here discussing how many zillions pixels per second a GPU+CPU combo manages to render?
Or are we willing to talk about REAL evolution?

I mean: look at X360 and PS3. How come you can call them a true evolution from Xbox and PS2. Yes, they've more brute force, RAM and better media devices than previous gen and that's ALL!
Where is the innovation? Cell CPU? C'mon! Blue Ray? Please...

I'm not telling the Wii is a perfect machine, sometimes I myself blame Nintendo for not giving it a little bit more power and RAM... but then I play RE4 or Force Unleashed and I recall that GFX is not what makes a good game.

But I know my words will probably be eaten by your GPU war... and THAT is the second real cause of Wii having a weak hardcore market. Because the majority of so called hardcore games fear innovation, most of them schum Wiimote because it is different from a Joypad and you even have to move your whole arm in order to play!!! How come?
Oh and it is different from a mouse aswell, because it can feel 3 axis instead of just 2 and also feels ROTATIONS!

I'm just glad Sony created this new controller, bringing the idea from Nintendo. This alone shows me that someone still can recognize an excellent new idea when he sees it.

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

Lou 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 12:42:46
#875 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Lou

Quote:

No one (I know) buys any good games on the Wii I'm afraid! Wii Sports seems to be the limit for most people. If they buy anything else it's things like Rabbid Rabbits, Wii Play or Wario Party rather than Metroid or Overlord! In fact the simple games on Wii Play are quite close in character to Rabbid Rabbits if I'm honest. This isn't a revolution but an excuse to create rubbish and charge for it! Wii sales obscure the real problem that casual tat game developers are being rewarded while serious developers can't turn a profit on the 'kiddy' console!

P.S. If there's a motion controller on the PS3, I won't be any nearer to buying one!

As I said before, you seem to only look at games that are PS2 ports. Actually, I think for your argument you only want to look at games that are PS2 ports so that your claim looks valid. The guys who ported Okami didn't change one pixel from the PS2 version.

Even playing Madden '05 on the PS2 and GC, the GC looked like the Xbox (original) version and supported widescreen 480p where as the PS2 looked cell shaded and only ran in 320x480.

On the Wii the Madden games employs slightly better lighting and shading over the GC and also eliminated any framerate drop that would occur on "up the middle" running plays.

The Wii can push 480p visuals however that does no good if the textures and other assets are ripped from the PS2 as the common denominator.

When the PS3 gets Wii ports of the motion control shovelware (mind you, the PS2 was king of shovelware for its generation as all lead consoles are), let's see how many of those cash-in titles actually upgrade the visual assets. Perhaps then I can point out how they barely look better than the Wii version and actually look identical when played on an SD TV...
...Then I can claim that the PS3 only has Wii graphics, am I right?

Last edited by Lou on 29-Sep-2009 at 12:43 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 14:33:04
#876 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
As I said before, you seem to only look at games that are PS2 ports. Actually, I think for your argument you only want to look at games that are PS2 ports so that your claim looks valid. The guys who ported Okami didn't change one pixel from the PS2 version.

I completely disagree with your assumption that I'm primarily viewing the Wii as a PS2 with a 'Wand'. My main complaint with the Wii is that it i a shovelware wasteland where bad games are rewarded by high sales and good game design is punished to make way for gimmicks. WHERE IS THE LUCAS ARTS LIGHTSABER GAME? We don't seem to have evolved much beyond Duckhunt or the EyeToy games in reality the WiiMote is a badly executed gimmick and Nintendo is hardly leading the way to show how it could be done! Most Wii owners seem happy playing Mario Kart (over-rated) and Wii Sports (the golf is ok but otherwise over-rated). There's no way it is worth £180 and if people want to get fit I suggest they pick a sport or go for a run rather than buy a Wii!!

Gleng 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 14:36:38
#877 ]

@BigD

Quote:
Mario is for kids and the Wii is for kids or sad sheep like adults.

I'm 34 next week, and I have just as much fun with Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii as I do with Battlefield 1943 and Fallout 3 on the PS3. I'm also a big fan of NetHack.

And hey, what's wrong with getting drunk with friends and playing Wii Sports Bowling?

ErikBauer 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 14:40:36
#878 ]

@BigD

First of all Wiimote is NOT a badly executed gymnic. Neither it is perfect, I agree.
It is a very very interesting piece of hardware used as a replacement of your regular joypad.

Where is LucasArts LIGHTSABRE game?
It exists, it is called Force Unleashed and it is a wonderful game!

Ah I see, you mean a Jedy fighting game with 1:1 motion controls for lightsabre?
Well, Nintendo Wii is not namely supposed to be able to let you play that game as you expect, not even with MotionPlus.
Why? Just because pretending a 1:1 swordplaying videogame is plain silly, let alone a 1:1 lightsabre game and that for 2 reasons.
1) No hardware is capable of giving you the force feedback needed to stop your arm when your blade hits something in the game
2) If you are not proficient in real life sword wielding such a game would be totally unplayable.

But I guess I'm still talking to wind...

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 14:58:22
#879 ]
Team Member

@BigD

Also besides the Force Unleashed Wii has:

STAR WARS THE CLONE WARS: LIGHTSABER DUELS

Amiga 1200

BrianK 
Posted on 29-Sep-2009 15:11:03
#880 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

You mentioned a new PSPgo. What do you find attractive about this device? It seems that Sony has thrown in a problem for a PSP transition. UMD won't play and the UMD games won't transfer. PSP periphals can't be used on the PSPgo due to changes in connectors. It seems this device is a Sony attempt to convert gaming to an iTunes model.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle