Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 41 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  3 mins ago
 Karlos:  15 mins ago
 Kronos:  21 mins ago
 matthey:  21 mins ago
 pavlor:  24 mins ago
 retrofaza:  29 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 clint:  3 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )
PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 12:14:00
#921 ]
Elite Member

Some interesting new details with regard to WarDevil:

"Speaking in the latest issue of Edge Magazine, Whitehurst reveals a string of eyebrow-raising details about WarDevil, a game that runs at 1080p, at 60fps.

The project uses a unique pre-calculated texture system, which Whitehurst says “gives us the ability to have an enormous amount of textures on-screen, at a fidelity we can use in 35mm or 65mm formats without altering them.”

Describing the textures as ‘Hollywood grade’, he reveals in the magazine that WarDevil utilises the PS3’s texture bandwidth to support 1k of texture for every square meter of gameworld, at 1024x1024, while the characters faces are rendered with 2k face textures at 2048x2048.

“It’s not dissimilar from many normal industry practices,” adds Whitehurst, “but we pushed it in another direction by holding colour, grading, lighting, diffuse, specular and even bump maps in a single PCTS [pre-calculated texture system] data structure. This information lets us separate it into separate channels for complex effects.”"

http://www.develop-online.net/news/32943/Sonys-HD-development-hype-was-right

Profile     Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 12:21:18
#922 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
I never said that, I just highlighted some reasons why IMO the XBox 360 wasn't a true HD system.
MikeB I don't know how you're trying to slice this. I said you had stated you felt the 360 was not a true HD system. Then you repeat this line?

Quote:
Please be a bit more open minded and accurate with your reading.
Dude I think you're losing it. I state you feel the 360 was not a true HD system and you include that Quote:
one can consider it to be a console between the SD and HD generation of consoles.
AFAIK we're on the same page. You don't feel the 360 is a true HD system. Again #844 says this too.

BrianK 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 12:25:56
#923 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
NPD figures are actually yet to be released for the PS3 slim, I bet PS3 sales are up considerably and there will be a big year over year sales increase for the remainder of the year
If you look at VGChartz, which you do quite a bit, you will find the first week of the month the peak in PS3 sales. The sales have continued to decrease week after week. Exactly what I said. Now do you think VGChartz is so incorrect that sales have increased week after week? To me it appears you're moving the goal to discuss year over year sales which is not my statement. We can look at that if you wish but do realize I commented on week over week not year over year. There's a difference.

ErikBauer 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 12:49:56
#924 ]

@MikeB

WarDevil surely looks impressive... too bad it is a PS3 exclusive and will never come out for Windows... I guess I've to wait 5-6 more years for an emulator...

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

MikeB 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 13:15:40
#925 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
AFAIK we're on the same page. You don't feel the 360 is a true HD system. Again #844 says this too.

"Felt" is good wording. Just like the first generation of PS3 games I didn't feel as they were genuine PS3 games (as I expected years before launch). Now certain PS3 exclusives start to feel like true PS3 games to me.

Just like for example the New Zealand Story was identical on the Amiga 500 and Atari ST, I didn't feel like that was a genuine Amiga game, but more ST centric. Of course the port is an Amiga game, but from a technical perspective it didn't feel like that for me (despite being a very fun game).

MikeB 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 13:19:13
#926 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
If you look at VGChartz, which you do quite a bit, you will find the first week of the month the peak in PS3 sales

I think that goes without saying, like as if one would say sales will drop considerably after the holiday season. That's to be expected.

VGChartz is a nice source, but of course compared to the NPD they undertracked the PS3 by 50K last month and compared to official sources 500K of PS3 compared to 360s are missing, despite regular corrections. They aren't perfect, nor do they claim to be.

They acknowledge they don't have resources like professional tracking companies.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 14:35:59
#927 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Never heard of that website before, are you sure you aren't playing right into their intends and they (he or she) are/is mainly trying to attract as many hits as possible from fanboys?

This is just another site with another Uncharted 2 review Mike, you linked some, I merely linked another one that I came across.

Your post here is also a sham, because only 6 posts earlier in this thread you said this:

Quote:
Tolerance for other people's opinion is IMO a virtue, hence the reason why I included that Uncharted quote. Some people will attack others for stating that they believe Uncharted 2 is the prettiest game they have seen so far.

You are a PS3 fanboy, of course you will only post good reviews and claim a nefarious reason for any just ok reviews. Where is your tolerance for this reviewing site's opinion now?

As for "are you sure you aren't playing right into their intends" by linking them, you yourself have said promotion/posting on this site hardly has any impact, like for your Fun Computing thing for instance. But now, just because a review not as good as you want, for a game not even released yet, where you can't have formed your own honest impression yet, you've already decided which reviews are the most objective already? And you think linking them here is part of some evil master plan by them to dupe folks into linking them. LOL! BS!

Amiga 1200

BrianK 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 14:38:06
#928 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
They acknowledge they don't have resources like professional tracking companies.
While true not exact when looking at less detail and more direction VGChartz seems on the ball. For example are sales increasing or decreasing? While the # may be off the actual trend seems to jive with other sources.

As for professional tracking companies even they are off. NPD used to only track brick and motar companies. Don't know if or how they fixed this yet but online sales of consoles and games, eg Amazon, at one time were not tracked.

BrianK 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 14:53:09
#929 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
"Felt" is good wording. Just like the first generation of PS3 games I didn't feel as they were genuine PS3 games (as I expected years before launch). Now certain PS3 exclusives start to feel like true PS3 games to me.

Not sure if Sony fixed this yet but at one time 720p games would not upconvert to 1080i. Some 1080i Tvs only take 1080i resolution for HD. This forced users to use 480p for the game and essentially let the TV upscale the SD output to HD. Add to this that some PS3 games aren't even 720p either. Examples: The Darkness is 560p. Pirates of the Caribbean is 960x720, GTA4 is 640p. (Native 720p on the 360) From using your requirements on the 360 to be not truly HD, at one time, we should also view the PS3 as not truly HD, at one time, too.

Really if you're going to add silliness and try to claim the 360 was not a true HD console, at least be consistent in your application.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 14:54:54
#930 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@BrianK

Quote:

High Definition video has an accepted definition of what it is. You can opine on how you think HDMI provides the best HD video experience if you want (which is generally accepted already anyway). But you don't get to change the definition of what HD video is just because you want to desperately get another dig in on the Xbox 360. Especially when you had to pay a premium to get HDMI at the time. Folks who consciously bought a 360 with no HDMI who view HD video output from it undeniably have a true HD system.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 01-Oct-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 15:05:33
#931 ]
Team Member

@BrianK

Quote:
@MikeB
Really if you're going to add silliness and try to claim the 360 was not a true HD console, at least be consistent in your application.

It would be nice if he did that someday.

Amiga 1200

Lou 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 16:16:57
#932 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@all

Another Uncharted 2 review, 7/10.

This from a guy who loved the first one...he points out what I saw in the video MikeB linked: linearity and meh gameplay with bullets flying that don't seem to make a difference. But it sure is "purdy" and that's all that matters to "some fanboys"...

BrianK 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 17:11:30
#933 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Especially when you had to pay a premium to get HDMI at the time. Folks who consciously bought a 360 with no HDMI who view HD video output from it undeniably have a true HD system.
We've talked about 720p over component. It also did 1080i for the HD-DVD player. One other connection ALL 360s come with is VGA which can output 1080p. I'd say a safe bet to say either VGA or HDMI is better than component. But, VGA or HDMI (I'll throw DVI in too) really depends on the quality of hardware for those connectors. Some sets produce lousy VGA. Some it doesn't matter. The point is every 360 from day 1 had the ability to output HD content and had HD connectors.

Lou 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 18:05:39
#934 ]
Elite Member

Nintendo finally joined MS and Sony in bricking consoles with a system update:
http://kotaku.com/5372065/wii-update-42-is-killing-wiis-dead

Ofcourse, anyone with a modded Wii already know not to use Nintedo's system update service and were warned in advance that Nintendo used shoddy code to modify the boot loader ...

Already, homebrew users have a means to unfix what Nintendo has broken: http://www.hackmii.com/

Sony's 3.0 and 3.1 firmware continues to cause problems:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps3-blu-ray-issue-not-firmware-related

Last edited by Lou on 01-Oct-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 18:10:27
#935 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Quote:
Especially when you had to pay a premium to get HDMI at the time. Folks who consciously bought a 360 with no HDMI who view HD video output from it undeniably have a true HD system.
We've talked about 720p over component. It also did 1080i for the HD-DVD player. One other connection ALL 360s come with is VGA which can output 1080p. I'd say a safe bet to say either VGA or HDMI is better than component. But, VGA or HDMI (I'll throw DVI in too) really depends on the quality of hardware for those connectors. Some sets produce lousy VGA. Some it doesn't matter. The point is every 360 from day 1 had the ability to output HD content and had HD connectors.

The problem is interpretation.
When talking to MikeB you can't assume he'll understand 1 and 1 is two. He might tell you it's 3 (aka 11 in binary). It's a protocol problem I assure you.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 18:17:43
#936 ]
Team Member

@Lou

Quote:

Lou wrote:
@BrianK

The problem is interpretation.
When talking to MikeB you can't assume he'll understand 1 and 1 is two. He might tell you it's 3 (aka 11 in binary). It's a protocol problem I assure you.

I think he understands that 1 and 1 is two. IMO, he's just willing to say its three if that is whats necessary for the perceived greater glory of the object of his affection in his mind.

Amiga 1200

BrianK 
Posted on 1-Oct-2009 18:20:49
#937 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
It's a protocol problem I assure you.

@Thread

Halo is coming to the PS3. Well sort of. Halo Legends the animated series will be released on Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray's are playable on the PS3. PS3 users will get to taste Halo and then if they want more interactivity will buy a 360 (warning this was a fanboy characterization I doubt this will sell more 360s.)

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 5:09:55
#938 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
From using your requirements on the 360 to be not truly HD, at one time, we should also view the PS3 as not truly HD, at one time, too.

FYI, I have criticized PS3 software, just like I have criticized 360 hardware.

Only most of the software issues on the PS3 I expected years before release.

The hardware criticism regarding the 360 was mostly aimed at built quality, I also stated the 360 is a powerful console. That the PS3 holds so much more potential technically I noted the PS3 is also more expensive. So, I don't see a reason to be upset about stating such opinions.

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 5:15:11
#939 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
When talking to MikeB you can't assume he'll understand 1 and 1 is two.

I do, but at times I will also point out that the whole is often greater than the summ of the parts.

I think a bigger problem is that I'm never afraid to go against popular opinion, like stating the world is round and moves around the sun in a world where people vividly believe the world is flat and the center of the universe. Of course, people can get burned for that.

Last edited by MikeB on 02-Oct-2009 at 05:18 AM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 5:30:54
#940 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@BrianK

So, I don't see a reason to be upset about stating such opinions.

LOL, you try that trolling BS line on everybody.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 05:32 AM.

Amiga 1200

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle