Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 88 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Kronos:  26 mins ago
 retrofaza:  35 mins ago
 bhabbott:  54 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 Templario:  2 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )
PosterThread
fairlanefastback 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 6:47:19
#941 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

I think a bigger problem is that I'm never afraid to go against popular opinion, like stating the world is round and moves around the sun in a world where people vividly believe the world is flat and the center of the universe. Of course, people can get burned for that.

So, you view people who have pointed out that there is no such thing as a requirement of HDMI for a console to be a "real HD console" are akin to people who thought the world was flat. Where your only comeback is to call calm people upset, instead of just either admitting you were wrong or that you mis-spoke.

Thats just plain sad.

Amiga 1200

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 7:29:39
#942 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
LOL, you try that trolling BS line on everybody.

Regulars in this thread IMO often sound frustrated.

IMO you often 'sound' immature with your and s, which actually confuses me sometimes as I know you are way older than me...

Last edited by MikeB on 02-Oct-2009 at 07:30 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 7:32:58
#943 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
So, you view people who have pointed out that there is no such thing as a requirement of HDMI for a console to be a "real HD console" are akin to people who thought the world was flat.

If you followed these threads you will know HDMI was just one of many points brought forward by me with regard to the 360's technical sweetspot.

Last edited by MikeB on 02-Oct-2009 at 07:33 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 8:10:05
#944 ]
Elite Member

An interesting thread on NeoGAF.

Interesting because the website is dominated by people from the US and in the past XBox 360 fan vocals seemed to be over-represented.

But when asked if people prefer the PS3's XMB, 360's XNE or the Wii's interface the vast majority preferred the XMB! In the past the 360's XNE was (over)hyped a lot at that forum. Most people even seem to put Nintendo's interface above Microsoft's.

To imagine I got flamed initially for stating I preferred the old 360 interface in the past (now most seem to agree!). Wow, seems like a time of change!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375796

Last edited by MikeB on 02-Oct-2009 at 08:11 AM.

BrianK 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 12:27:14
#945 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@BrianK

Quote:
From using your requirements on the 360 to be not truly HD, at one time, we should also view the PS3 as not truly HD, at one time, too.

FYI, I have criticized PS3 software, just like I have criticized 360 hardware.

Only most of the software issues on the PS3 I expected years before release.

The hardware criticism regarding the 360 was mostly aimed at built quality, I also stated the 360 is a powerful console. That the PS3 holds so much more potential technically I noted the PS3 is also more expensive. So, I don't see a reason to be upset about stating such opinions.

Good idea MikeB just a couple of problems here. Last point first -- no one's upset. Then to your other statements of criticism -- there is no statements from anyone claiming you didn't say those things. You built a strawman here, claimed points and defended points which no one had brought up except for you.

My comments were about the lie that 360 is/was not an HD console. None, that's 0, of your points address that you have that issue completely wrong.

Lou 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 13:53:50
#946 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
When talking to MikeB you can't assume he'll understand 1 and 1 is two.

I do, but at times I will also point out that the whole is often greater than the summ of the parts.

I think a bigger problem is that I'm never afraid to go against popular opinion, like stating the world is round and moves around the sun in a world where people vividly believe the world is flat and the center of the universe. Of course, people can get burned for that.

Actually MikeB, your ... rather ... the PS3's problem is the opposite. Some individual parts are great but the system as a whole doesn't work well together when compared to the 360.

If the 360 had an HD-DVD drive from launch day, we could all be singing a different tune today on a couple of fronts.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 13:57:39
#947 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Quote:
LOL, you try that trolling BS line on everybody.

Regulars in this thread IMO often sound frustrated.

IMO you often 'sound' immature with your and s, which actually confuses me sometimes as I know you are way older than me...

You are welcome to your opinions. Just as everyone else is. Your opinions seem not to be well regarded by many of course, to which you try to see yourself as a modern misunderstood Copernicus. Its also funny that you, of all people, are labeling emoticon use as immature, as you use them more often than me.

If you think everyone is lying to you when they tell you they are not upset, yet you still post here where no one agrees with you (on the majority of what you say) and where you think you are only causing more upset, well it just further illustrates you aren't here for anything productive at this point. Apologizing for lying about the 360 not being a real HD console would be a good start in the right direction. If you can't muster even that, what's your point for being here?

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 14:03:25
#948 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

If you followed these threads you will know HDMI was just one of many points brought forward by me with regard to the 360's technical sweetspot.

Which has zero to do with your flat-out lie that you got caught in.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 14:12:33
#949 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
An interesting thread on NeoGAF.

To imagine I got flamed initially for stating I preferred the old 360 interface in the past (now most seem to agree!). Wow, seems like a time of change!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375796

Since you see that times may be changing there maybe they will lift your ban now. Or at least modify that "Fanboy" thread of yours there back to its original title...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256179

Amiga 1200

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 15:17:18
#950 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:
lying

@ BrianK

Quote:
the lie

You sound like two extremist weirdos...

How many times have I referred to the 360 as a HD console? Must have been more than a 1000 times. How many times have I outed the opinion the 360 was more like a semi-HD console while providing a list of arguments? Maybe once or twice?

Why call an opinion a lie? If hypothetically I say your mamma is more like a half-female, due to her heavy voice, she's beating up your dad all the time and grows a beard. That could be a well reasoned opinion despite the fact she is indeed female (has vagina, but with masculine traits).

We know the PS2 can output HD resolutions (Linux), we know the Amiga 1200 can come pretty close, we consider them to be SDTV targetted devices.

BigD 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 15:43:48
#951 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

I am not convinced by this push for HD. Freeview just about became mainstream when HD TVs were launched. Now HD TVs are just about mainstream and 3D TVs/Game Consoles are on the horizon! It seems just an ugly part of consumerism to continue to make us believe we need the next big thing! If I'm honest I'm happy with my PVR with Freeview on my SD TV and like keeping my HD extravaganza events for the cinema!

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 16:27:10
#952 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

@ BrianK

I have brought up the simple query of why then you will not simply say you mis-spoke. You also often shift positions to whatever suits you at a given time very often. You also do often get questioned on why you will just about never admit when you were wrong. The straw man Brian mentioned is your typical response instead of a simple "I mispoke", or "what I meant to say was". Which, in that case would be politely accepted then and there. Until then as Brian eloquently put it, you are not entitled to your own facts. Hardly an extremist or "weirdo" stance.

Quote:
How many times have I referred to the 360 as a HD console? Must have been more than a 1000 times.

I have not been involved in these console threads as long as some others. Regardless the point in question was your most recent assertion here that it was not a real HD console.

Quote:
If hypothetically I say your mamma is more like a half-female, due to her heavy voice, she's beating up your dad all the time and grows a beard. That could be a well reasoned opinion despite the fact she is indeed female (has vagina, but with masculine traits).

I see your choice of a "hypothetical" as showing anger IMO, quite ironic. And considering your questioning the maturity of others a couple of posts back its also ironic you would choose such vivid and inciteful bait language as a "hypothetical". For what its worth, if there is a heaven I am quite sure my mother is praying there for you right now.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Amiga 1200

BrianK 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 19:06:06
#953 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB
Quote:
Ad hominems don't make you any points in the discussion about the facts here.

Quote:
How many times have I outed the opinion the 360 was more like a semi-HD console while providing a list of arguments? Maybe once or twice?
Amount of times matter not. Were you sincere when you stated due to not having HDMI the 360 wasn't HD? Or was it some 'hypothetical' such as the junk you stated about mothers. And if the later why did you fail to make it clear you were talking hypotheticals?

Quote:
Why call an opinion a lie?
Because it contradicts the facts. Unfortunately the facts arent wrong. Your opinion is. You have been presented with facts that show your opinion is incorrect. You continue to hold that opinion with the knowledge it's wrong makes it a lie. It's okay to learn something and/or say oops.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 19:31:59
#954 ]
Team Member

@BrianK

Quote:
@MikeB
It's okay to learn something and/or say oops.

Indeed.

Amiga 1200

Moxee 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 19:38:02
#955 ]
Team Member

@ thread

Good Lord!

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Moxee 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 19:44:31
#956 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

Quote:
If hypothetically I say your mamma is more like a half-female, due to her heavy voice, she's beating up your dad all the time and grows a beard. That could be a well reasoned opinion despite the fact she is indeed female (has vagina, but with masculine traits).

What kind of comments are these? I know this is Free For All, but a wise person steps back and re-evaluates their position once in awhile. There is no need to get carried away.

Debate! Don't get personal.

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 20:07:26
#957 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
Amount of times matter not. Were you sincere when you stated due to not having HDMI the 360 wasn't HD?

I am still waiting for a quote, all I could find were well reasoned comments from 2007 that the PS3 comes with Blu-Ray (high bitrate 1080p / 7.1 audio movies) and a harddrive (for example for storing HD trailers and such) by default and the 360 does not. PS2 games like God of War 2 maxing out DVD, thus PS3 with high definition assets would do well having more capacity.

Or the PS3 setup is more powerful and with the 360 due to tiling, having good HDR and (advertised as free) AA developers are pretty stuck to sub-HD resolutions for top games (IMO Bungie isn't simply incompetent or on a low budget).

And it's not like I did not write positives about the 360 neither. For example from 2007 "Regarding the interface the Xbox 360 sports a very colorful easy to use user interface". That was of course before the XNE update.

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 20:08:56
#958 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

It wasn't personal, I don't even know their mothers.

I was just fed up with their trollish personal allegations without providing any evidence.

Moxee 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 20:18:27
#959 ]
Team Member

@ thread

Well, I can't enter this debate on either side since I don't play games and thus have no knowledge of the subject matter. I'd just like to see this thread remain healthy so people do not become angry with each other. That is not good for anyone.

Last edited by Moxee on 02-Oct-2009 at 08:20 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 20:24:13
#960 ]
Elite Member

Maybe you guys are upset I once stated the PS3 can decode and output Dolby TrueHD quality and the 360 cannot?

That would be funny, a lot of fuss for nothing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueHD

Last edited by MikeB on 02-Oct-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle