Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 77 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  2 mins ago
 michalsc:  5 mins ago
 retrofaza:  5 mins ago
 pixie:  20 mins ago
 Karlos:  32 mins ago
 Kronos:  37 mins ago
 matthey:  37 mins ago
 pavlor:  41 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 49 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )
PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: PS3, Wii, XBox: The Neverending Story, Part 5
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 20:28:14
#961 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

Quote:
Well, I can't enter this debate on either side since I don't play games and thus have no knowledge of the subject matter. I'd just like to see this thread remain healthy so people do not become angry with each other. That is not good for anyone.

Agreed, I asked certain people to tone down quite often and make things less personal if someone states an opinion regarding technology. (Here and elsewhere, i.e. fairlanefastback is continuously trolling as Ausfalcon on another site outing personal attacks)

Profile     Report this post  
fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 20:39:52
#962 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@Moxee

It wasn't personal, I don't even know their mothers.

I was just fed up with their trollish personal allegations without providing any evidence.

Lets examine this.

So you are "fed up", and say you acted based on the feeling of being fed up. You say the cause of being fed up was "trollish personal allegations..".

Hit the report button then. You know how it works.

The only one talking very over the top stuff, like things about "half-women" being people's "mommas" alongside emasculated fathers who suffer physical abuse at the hands of their partners etc etc is you. I'm still blown away at that. And you've gone to this extreme of extremes simply because *three separate people* are all pointing out the same thing to you, that its not factual to say real HD requires an HDMI connection.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:06:10
#963 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
Maybe you guys are upset I once stated the PS3 can decode and output Dolby TrueHD quality and the 360 cannot?

That would be funny, a lot of fuss for nothing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueHD

So you are intent on continuing the accusation that Lou, Brian, and I are "upset". And you are intent on trying to keep coming up with things you said in years prior (most of which I was not even in these threads for) as motivation for what you keep trying to paint as personal, stuff just out of nowhere basically. As if we all, at the same time, became "upset" about something you supposedly once said sometime in the past. That'd be one hell of a coincidence.

Amiga 1200

_Steve_ 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:08:36
#964 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

I don't think that most people really care if the PS3 has HDMI 1.3 (which allows for TrueHD playback) over HDMI 1.2 (which the 360s have and doesn't unless the audio is supplied by the player in an uncompressed form - which neither the HD-DVD add on nor original DVD drives in the 360 do).

The simple reason is most people that own a 360, have it for the games. The HD-DVD side I certainly couldn't care less about, and while the PS3 is probably used by some for watvhing Blu-Ray films, most people didn't buy it for that capability. In fact I have heard from some PS3 owners that BR playback on their PS3 is poor when compared to any standalone player.

Besides this, the 360 is more than capable to play games in 1080p and has done for ages - and that is really all that most of us care about. The rest of the "my machine is better than your machine" arguments do get somewhat tiresome and really hark back to the C64 vs Spectrum and Atari vs Amiga "wars" of the past - and they should remain there in the past.

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:11:36
#965 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

I have in the past, but nobody from the mod team got involved.

I also requested my account here to be deleted in the past (several times), AFAIK this was always honoured for everyone in the past, but I contacted admins and the webmaster with no result. (My theory) Maybe the webmaster was dissapointed I insisted on leaving the AmigaWorld team, at the time he stated he wouldn't let me go. At this point I would like to be treated as an other forum member on here.

BTW, feel free to delete my account.

Last edited by MikeB on 02-Oct-2009 at 09:18 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:16:22
#966 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_

Quote:
Besides this, the 360 is more than capable to play games in 1080p

You refer to upscaling or something as it's not more capable? I know Halo 3 is being advertised as 1080p for example, but rendering isn't at 1080p (assets are also too low quality to matter much anyway). Any 1080p HDTV will have to upscale towards its native resolution (1080p) anyway to get a fullscreen image (even a PS2 or Wii), some HDTV scalers are more advanced than others.

Last edited by MikeB on 02-Oct-2009 at 09:17 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:17:31
#967 ]
Team Member

@_Steve_

Quote:

_Steve_ wrote:
@MikeB

I don't think that most people really care if the PS3 has HDMI 1.3 (which allows for TrueHD playback) over HDMI 1.2 (which the 360s have and doesn't unless the audio is supplied by the player in an uncompressed form - which neither the HD-DVD add on nor original DVD drives in the 360 do).

The amusing (or perhaps sad?) part of this is we were not even discussing TrueHD. The discussion was about an assertion from Mike that the 360 is not a real HD console. Its just another red herring from Mike, as usual.

Quote:
In fact I have heard from some PS3 owners that BR playback on their PS3 is poor when compared to any standalone player.

I don't have a stand-alone player. But playback on my PS3 seems quite good for Blu-ray discs.

I did get an LG dual Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive for my PC recently. But have not yet used it for comparison. I'm planning on using the Blu-ray writer function as a backup for my machine.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:19:35
#968 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Quote:

I have in the past, but nobody from the mod got involved.

I also requested my account here to be deleted in the past, AFAIK this was always honoured for everyone in the past, but I contacted admins and the webmaster with no result. (My theory) Maybe the webmaster was dissapointed I insisted on leaving the AmigaWorld team, at the time he stated he wouldn't let me go. At this point I would like to be treated as an other forum member on here.

BTW, feel free to delete my account.

We can certainly lock the account. As I am sure you are aware yourself, we can't fully "delete it" as it would make all your posts Anonymous. And thats not done anymore.

Amiga 1200

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:20:14
#969 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

I still don't have a quote with regard to what Lou was referring to. I simply don't understand what the hell you are talking about...

So maybe Lou (not a technical mastermind to say the least) misread a comment with regard to TrueHD.

Last edited by MikeB on 02-Oct-2009 at 09:20 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:21:44
#970 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

I don't want it locked, I specifically want it deleted.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:23:08
#971 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

So maybe Lou (not a technical mastermind to say the least)

You don't think this would be taken as an insult at all Mike? Really??

Amiga 1200

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:26:04
#972 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

But I think we all know this. I find the false allegation without providing proper reference more troublesome.

He and others claimed the same with regard to me (but I didn't see you complaining, rather adding), I don't mind such opinions. But allegations should IMO be backed up.

Last edited by MikeB on 02-Oct-2009 at 09:26 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:29:24
#973 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

I don't want it locked, I specifically want it deleted.

Even if that was done your posts would remain. I fail to see the point in that personally, but if you see a reason thats better thats your own business of course. Its probably best if you take that request to _Steve_ in PM and see what he is willing to do.

Amiga 1200

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:30:22
#974 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

I already PMed all admins in the past...

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:33:12
#975 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

But I think we all know this. I find the false allegation without providing proper reference more troublesome.

He and others claimed the same with regard to me (but I didn't see you complaining, rather adding), I don't mind such opinions. But allegations should IMO be backed up.

But Mike, purposeful insulting posts are a TOS violation. You are admitting to that, and your next ban requirement is 180 days. Whats your point of being here if you just want to do stuff like this?

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 02-Oct-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 21:38:21
#976 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

So you use an account you want deleted for what purpose exactly? That makes no sense to me. I'm sure at least someone wrote you back with some sort of answer.

Amiga 1200

_Steve_ 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 22:24:51
#977 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@fairlanefastback

And while this is now OT, I did respond to you with the courses of action we were willing to take. In light of the numbers of posts that you have, deleting the account would just generate stupidly large numbers of anonymous posts, which we have always tried avoiding happening. You were not happy with me effectively locking the account to stop it being used.

_Steve_ 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 22:28:59
#978 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@_Steve_

Quote:
Besides this, the 360 is more than capable to play games in 1080p

You refer to upscaling or something as it's not more capable? I know Halo 3 is being advertised as 1080p for example, but rendering isn't at 1080p (assets are also too low quality to matter much anyway). Any 1080p HDTV will have to upscale towards its native resolution (1080p) anyway to get a fullscreen image (even a PS2 or Wii), some HDTV scalers are more advanced than others.

I was not referring to upscaling. The 360 is quite able to output 1080p natively and in fact many games (Gears of War and VT3 being two examples off the top of my head) do this anyway.

BrianK 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 22:31:17
#979 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Egads! I gave you the # from this thread. Did you bother to go back and read?

Quote:
But allegations should IMO be backed up.
They have been. Again I gave you the # where you reconfirmed this point of view.

And just recently, within the last page or two. You confirmed you said this once or twice. You tried to claim just because you said it a couple of times it doesn't mean you should be held accountable to your statements?

Last edited by BrianK on 02-Oct-2009 at 10:34 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 2-Oct-2009 22:42:02
#980 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_

Quote:
I was not referring to upscaling. The 360 is quite able to output 1080p natively and in fact many games (Gears of War and VT3 being two examples off the top of my head) do this anyway.

Sorry Steve, but Gears of War is only 720p.

Virtua Tennis 3 is technically a simple game (small predictable environment, not many assets to deal with), both the PS3 and 360 versions are 1080p with AA (but no advanced lighting). One of them is just a straight port, they are as good as identical (like for example New Zealand Story on Amiga and Atari ST).

I know Microsoft's marketing is misleading and confusing, but what I state is true.

Last edited by MikeB on 02-Oct-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 02-Oct-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle