Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 80 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 roar:  5 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  12 mins ago
 VooDoo:  20 mins ago
 pixie:  36 mins ago
 Hammer:  50 mins ago
 Massi:  56 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 V8:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 billt:  3 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Software
      /  ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pi
Register To Post

PosterThread
nikosidis 
Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pi
Posted on 26-Aug-2018 23:41:20
#1 ]
Cult Member

@bison

I don't like to compare to original Amiga.
Better to compare against Intel or AMD CPUs.
I'm writing this right now from my AROS laptop running native
using Core2duo CPU. For sure only using one core but it is
very fast!

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pibison27-Aug-2018 14:36:57
          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pimatthey28-Aug-2018 1:29:37

PosterThread
nikosidis 
Posted on 27-Aug-2018 0:02:24
#1 ]
Cult Member

@bison

I don't like to compare to original Amiga.
Better to compare against Intel or AMD CPUs.
I'm writing this right now from my AROS laptop running native
using Core2duo CPU. For sure only using one core but it is
very fast!

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pitonyw27-Aug-2018 0:54:12
          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Piterminills27-Aug-2018 1:24:44
              Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pinikosidis27-Aug-2018 1:34:37

PosterThread
matthey 
Posted on 27-Aug-2018 1:39:57
#1 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

bison wrote:
Quote:
I don't agree that "it's not safe to use a system without memory protection on the internet". Anything coming through the internet is under complete control of the internet software. Anything unsafe which is allowed is the fault of the internet software not memory protection.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the internet software" -- can you clarify this point?

Internet software is any software used on the internet including the network stack. Take a simple example of a program that sets the Amiga clock from an atomic online clock. How is malicious code going to enter, execute or crash the system if the network stack and clock setting program are robust and bug free? Even in a dangerous scenario of Javascript being allowed to run in a browser, it is possible to keep the run time environment isolated if performance is sacrificed. Every address and instruction can be checked before an instruction is executed. As long as the programs are robust and bug free there is no problem. The problem is that some internet programs are large, like browsers, and the larger the program the more difficult it is to avoid bugs. The Amiga did have some large robust programs without memory protection back when there was money and developers. Unfortunately, the quality (and quantity) of Amiga software keeps declining as the number of users and developers decline.

Quote:

Quote:
If we can not use the 4 cores but only one of the ARM Cortex-A53, 1.2GHz
How fast or slow will that be?

Faster than any Commodore-era Amiga, I would think. Would be kind of a waste of resources only using one core, but at least it's a very inexpensive waste of resources, since the board is about $45 US.

The Cortex-A53 is an energy efficient 64 bit, 4 core, 8 stage in order RISC CPU that is far from high performance. The Tabor Freescale QorIQ P1022 (with PPC e500v2 cores) is a higher performance 32 bit, 2 core, 7 stage OoO RISC CPU. Both have similar clock speeds. The QorIQ P1022 CPU probably has higher single core integer performance than the Cortex-A53 but the non-standard and uncommon SPE/FPU APU and book E departure from AIM PPC makes it difficult to extract non-integer performance. I expect floating point and SIMD workloads to be faster on the Raspberry Pi. I think the Cortex-A53 would be much easier to program and is better supported. AArch64 is an improved PPC in my eyes (similar 32 bit fixed length encoding with ~32 GP registers but easier to use, better code density, more powerful addressing modes, better 32/64 bit support, etc.).

Of course the Cortex-A53 at 1.2GHz would outperform any C= era Amiga CPU. The 68060 could probably come close in single core integer performance per MHz for programs completely in the caches. It wouldn't take much of a rework and die shrinks to outperform a Cortex-A53. The 68060 outperformed many of the RISC CPUs of its time while using less resources and often less energy.

Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry PiAdvancedFollower27-Aug-2018 9:19:37
          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Piwawa27-Aug-2018 9:44:58
              Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Piterminills27-Aug-2018 11:51:56
                  Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Piwawa27-Aug-2018 12:30:13
                      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Piterminills27-Aug-2018 12:35:47
                          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry PiOlafS2527-Aug-2018 12:40:08
                              Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Piterminills27-Aug-2018 12:59:32
                                  Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry PiOlafS2527-Aug-2018 13:01:52
                                      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pinikosidis27-Aug-2018 14:04:36
                          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pimegol27-Aug-2018 19:01:24
          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pimatthey27-Aug-2018 23:45:43
      Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry PiOldAmigan27-Aug-2018 9:50:29
          Re: ARPi - AROS on Raspberry Pinikosidis27-Aug-2018 12:08:09

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle