Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 126 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

retrofaza

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 retrofaza:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  8 mins ago
 OlafS25:  21 mins ago
 BigD:  22 mins ago
 zErec:  29 mins ago
 amigakit:  32 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  2 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
Zardoz 
Re: Eyetech must provide CPU-modules for A1XE!
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 22:15:53
#121 ]
Team Member

@Uncharted

Sorry Uncharted, I believe that everyone in here knows that I'm not anyone that even follows
Eyetech or uses their hardware or even cares about it at the moment. But... Helgis got warned
that overclocking is dangerous. It's even more dangerous when the user is clueless about
hardware, which was the case with him, doing insane incremental changes with the old cooler
and the wrong Vcore voltage. Now, I will not say that replacement/upgrade CPU cards aren't
needed, OF COURSE they are. What I *will* say is that Helgis wouldn't have ever posted a
single line about this "extremely important" matter had he not fried his CPU card. He wouldn't
care about it. He wouldn't post about it, he wouldn't sympathise with someone in the same
position that he is now.

Last edited by AMiGR on 27-Feb-2005 at 10:21 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
A3000T 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 22:28:18
#122 ]
Cult Member

@Helgis

> I can't really understand why Eyetech is so quiet.
> They must say something now?

There is not much usefull they can say until they have some new hardware to sell, is there?

Kind regards,

Dennis

QuikSanz 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 22:30:57
#123 ]

@Helgis,

As I said before, it will happen but, today is sunday, give it a rest and see what comes.

Chris

Interesting 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 22:35:54
#124 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@Rogue

Quote:
Personally, I don't believe in AmigaOS on Apple hardware, especially not if you want to be taken serious. I also don't think that a MiniMac version would sell at all - granted, a few would buy it, but most Apple buyers are Apple buyers because they want an Apple, not an Amiga.

the MiniMac is just a Fad right now IMHO

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 22:36:35
#125 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sorry, the ArticiaS made me do it

I knew that chip was evil

Quote:
Personally, I don't believe in AmigaOS on Apple hardware, especially not if you want to be taken serious. I also don't think that a MiniMac version would sell at all - granted, a few would buy it, but most Apple buyers are Apple buyers because they want an Apple, not an Amiga.

I tend to agree, a retail 'OS4 for Mac' wouldn't sell at all well. In terms of OS4, I think the MacMini is best viewed as a cheap PPC motherboard, rather than an end-user system. Take the motherboard, fit it to a custom case (perhaps that A1200-like design idea that was making the rounds some time ago), slap a boing ball on the front and include an OEM copy of OS4.

Personally I'd prefer an ATX board like the Teron PX2 or Peg2, but there's not much doubt such a Mac-based machine would sell better than the uA1 does now.

CodeSmith 
Re: Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Posted on 27-Feb-2005 22:55:40
#126 ]
Elite Member

At this point I'm feeling compelled to speak in defense of Eyetech. Yes, I do agree that they have some problems, but in the past anything they could possibly do has been tried and it came back to bite them:

1. Issuing timelines: as they say, sh*t happens and timelines slip. Doesn't stop trolls from doing their thing, loud'n'proud
2. Issuing public statements: Every time they've done this, their statements have been carefully dissected, cross-referenced with anything they or anyone else said in the past, and used against them
3. Issuing private statements: Every time that Eyetech has said anything in the owner's list (ie something meant only for owners to hear), this has been posted to public lists by assorted "concerned individuals". These statements then effectively became public. See point 2.
4. Not saying anything: this *clearly* means that sneaky Eyetech is up to something, or has abandoned the amiga, or is going bankrupt... you get my drift.

So, since Alan is damned no matter what he does and issuing statements is more work than not issuing statements, he's decided to just keep quiet until there's something to announce. Can't say I blame the guy.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 0:04:50
#127 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

From Eyetechs point of view there is demand for product all they need to do is to provide it,

I hope they se spare parts sales a part of the biz,

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 1:30:41
# ]

Well, i could give it some time to see what happens. In the meantime, i will wait for an opportunity to buy a new A1G4XE instead, like previously stated...

I could in this topic kept my mouth shut about the overclocking issue, but i don't think Alan Redhouse would become so angry about it as he knows so many have already been doing that. Still we do need the CPU-modules options, and the dealers need the possibility to sell them. They can already sell S-ATA cards like the Sillicon Image 3114 S-ATA IDE PCI-card, so why not different CPU-modules for AmigaOne?

I know we all have to wait...as so many, many times in unmentioned times, but the question remains...HOW LONG do we have to wait???

Last edited by Helgis on 28-Feb-2005 at 01:38 AM.

Report this post  
Samwel 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 3:09:15
#129 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

I'm sorry but..
Do you actually know how to read English???
Sometimes when people, like Rose and Rogue for example,
explain something you answer back like you haven't read their
post at all. No wonder they get mad when having to explain
the same thing several times.

Also hold down your ranting a bit. We have all gotten the point
by now. I think anyway..

Rose told everybody that there are TWO forces working on CPU
upgrades. One of them is near production stage.
What more do you need to know???
When will they be available? When it's done!™

Have your dealer actually talked to Eyetech about a replacement
MEGarray board? Or did they say they have non in stock?

Btw.. Yes I agree that CPU boards should be available for everyone
to buy. No matter what reason they have for buying one.
But we are a poor starting up platform so things will become
better in the future.

I'm sorry you burnt your CPU but if you wait a while longer than
24 hours for the CPU upgrade to appear it will surely be here.

/Harry

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

DrJohn 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 3:17:57
#130 ]

@Samwel

Longer than 24 hours? Jeesh! What is this world coming too?!?

billt 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 3:27:57
#131 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis
>I can't really understand why Eyetech is so quiet. They must say something now?

They doesn't "must" do anything. Man, that reads terrible... But you get the idea.

They've also got more important topics on file that need responded to more than yours. In my not so humble opinion at least. :p

Alan's an extremely busy guy. I would like to see a comment from Eyetech about CPU cards for replecement or upgrading. But he must have more pressing issues to deal with right now. I'd be rather concerned if he had tons of spare time to sit aroundreading AW.net all day, as that would mean he's not talking to bigger companies about larger markets for his motherboard. Bigger companies who will absolutely demand a lack of issues (DMA, USB, whatever) that have frustrated some people here, which is good for us in the long run.

Samwel 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 3:47:52
#132 ]
Elite Member

For those that have the µA1-C PDF manual it clearly states
that a G4 1.3GHz MEGarray upgrade/replacement board
will be released sometime in Q1 2005.
If I'm not mistaken Q1 has not ended yet???

So let's wait a while longer before crucifying Eyetech.

The specs of the upgrade board may change. It may also
be delayed. But the point is.. Eyetech are doing/planing to
make an upgrade/replacement available.

/Harry

cell 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 5:13:45
#133 ]

Good points from all, but I have to say that communication is important. Hyperion is great is this regard since they post in the forums to let us know they are still alive and kicking. However, not a word from eyetech or KMOS/Amiga. Is it too much to ask for a post or update once a month from these chaps? I nominate Hyperion to run the whole show, but probably that's not possible (one can hope though).

CodeSmith 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 6:06:46
#134 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

1.3GHz huh? well, according to the "should be at least 50% faster" rule it's a good candidate to upgrade my 800MHz box. I guess I'll have to see how much it costs, but it sounds pretty good. "Q1 2005" depends on how Eyetech defines its financial year though - many businesses start their financial year at the end of Feburary. That would make Q1 2005 end at the end of May.

The_Editor 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 6:09:32
#135 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Here in UK, Financial year is April to April

CodeSmith 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 6:32:00
#136 ]
Elite Member

@The_Editor

Thanks. July it is then. Odd that we're in 2005 and accountants are still in 2004

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 7:34:28
# ]

@AMiGR

My post was not about Helgis, I made that clear. It wasn't really about CPU modules either. Whether Helgis' reasons for bringing this subject up were right or wrong is irrelevant, the issue was already there.

My main point is that after 4 or so years, Eyetech are still messing-up, and people are still pussy-footing around them, and making excuses for them. I want to know at which point "trying" isn't good enough anymore, and achieving is the bare minimum. Personally that point has passed long ago.

Eyetech have had more than enough chances to prove themselves, and as yet they have failed to do so. I expressed concerns about Eyetech's ability at the original AmigaOne (for DE) announcement, sadly it seems to me now that I was right.

PLEASE NOTE:
I was a customer of Eyetech's for a long time, and I bout the majority of my Amiga stuff from them. I don't have anything personal against Eyetech, I just think that they are in above their heads with this hardware business.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 7:50:36
# ]

@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:

So, since Alan is damned no matter what he does and issuing statements is more work than not issuing statements, he's decided to just keep quiet until there's something to announce. Can't say I blame the guy.

Sorry, but Alan is a big boy, I'm sure a round of ANN flaming is not going to kill him. Everyone else has to put up with it.

There is no excuse for the sorry state of the Eyetech website.

There is no excuse for failing to correspond with customers on legitimate issues.

There is no excuse for not responding to serious issues (USB) and leaving the dealers to take care of it.

Report this post  
Samwel 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 8:56:25
#139 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Well the specs may change depending on CPUs available
in time for purchase Maybe 1.667GHz 7448B are the only
ones available.. I wouldn't mind one of those

Q1 2005 is Jan-Mar
Q2 2005 is Apr-Jun
Q3 2005 is Jul-Sep
Q4 2005 is Oct-Dec

Product release date and financial years are not the same thing.
But even if it wouldn't be available before summer I can hold out

/Harry

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 8:59:59
# ]

@Uncharted

Quote:

Sorry, but Alan is a big boy, I'm sure a round of ANN flaming is not going to kill him. Everyone else has to put up with it.

I don't think he even reads ANN. There are far more urgent things to do, after all, as nobody here will deny. He does read AW much either, AFAIK, for the same reason: only so much one man can do in a day.
Quote:

There is no excuse for the sorry state of the Eyetech website.

There probably is, actually, but we don't know it.
Quote:

There is no excuse for failing to correspond with customers on legitimate issues.

Eyetech's customers, no problem, although there's so much correspondance he tends to take a while. Other people's customers, however...

Quote:

There is no excuse for not responding to serious issues (USB) and leaving the dealers to take care of it.

That's a bit unfair, and I speak as a dealer. It's our responsability to ensure full SAV of the products we sell, so we should have already had "authorised repair centres" or whatever in place. I rather suspect that those of us who reacted the quickest to the announcement of a patch for the DMA/USB issues were simply those already working on the problem before the announcement . Give us a break, most of us are one-person companies.

Now, if you want a rant about USB issues, let's talk about Apple. I recently discovered that Apple's implementation of USB in its machines (OS?) is incomplete. In practical terms, this means certain peripherals - such as an USB WiFi stick - won't be systematically recognised on startup. And I had to buy two of the damn' things since Apple no longer produce Airport cards for the ibooks in question, a model less than two years old. Not happy at all...

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle