Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  3 mins ago
 Rob:  10 mins ago
 blmara:  35 mins ago
 miggymac:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 7 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 DWolfman:  3 hrs 56 mins ago
 cncparts:  5 hrs 29 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  6 hrs 15 mins ago
 Beajar:  6 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
GregS 
Re: In continuance of the AROS wanted by BBRV thread...
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 1:25:16
#41 ]

@itix
You misunderstand me. I am not making any accusation about MorphOS, all I am trying to do is say the original accusation was reasonable on the evidence, but an accusation does not make anyone guilty, it is no more than a belief built on some observations.

There i8s a big difference between this type of accusation and one designed to libel, and is based not on any reasonable reading of any evidence.

Yes Dave Haynie is the source of the evidence, the evidence is not however very substantial and boils down to Daves observation of a fragment of code, and his deductions as to the meaning of it. Other explanations are logically possible, and with all due respect to Dave, he might have been honestly mistaken to some degree, but he is a genuine third party in all of this and has nothing to win from either side.

However, if the evidence is not all that strong (ire is open to debate and qualification) it is sufficient evidence to raise an accusation, over what is from a company IPs position, an important matter -- but as I said accusations prove nothing.

The thing that gets me is that this episode is always sighted as the proof of anti-morphOS intentions. Yet if you look at it squarely it was promoted by a third party observation and raised as an accusation which cited its sources.

The atmosphere might not have been all that pleasant at the time, but what happened was straightforward enough.

__

Now I need to add rider to all this, on ethics as against legalisms. MorphOS started, I believe when AmigaOS as an official project had not begun and when there may have been some disinterest in Amiga Inc reviving the OS (this is an assumption which may bnot be true).

Morally MorphOS in starting such a project which would at the time and from their perspective not be done otherwise has in my way of thinking a perfect right to use whatever material is at hand regardless of IP ownership.

I am not saying this is so, just that if were so I see no ethical problem, given that the thing would be dead otherwise (a reasonable assumption at the time in other words).

Legally this is not so, but when legality and ethics clash I support ethics.

Now when Amiga Inc started again the AmigaOS project, things change, the code is no longer abandoned (if such code was available) and the MorphOS team have a moral duty to rewrite anything they have they may not have written or only changed in a superficial way.

Ethically I believe this to be their only obligation under in the context I outline above, and I am not suggesting that any such code was in fact used (you can legally derive your code from someone else's, so long as you don't import one into the other and the rewrite is thorough -- how you might have come by the code, well that is another matter).

I believe this has long been a dead issue, because if I was in the shoes of the MorphOS team the issue would have long been resolved in any practical sense long ago and without any legal or ethical problem.

Now I will point out that this issue is not being kept alive by Amiga inc, as far as I know, but is frequently revived by those offended that such an accusation was made in the first place. As I have3 tried to show above, there is no reason for offense to be taken, the accusation was reasonable to raise even if proved totally untrue.

Last edited by GregS on 06-Apr-2005 at 01:27 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
T_Bone 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 1:36:16
#42 ]
Elite Member

@Interesting

Quote:

Long time ago Moobunny used to be fun. Then it became a battleground, and yes I did get involved in the battle. It was one of the few places that I could get replys from BBRV, foolish as many were. Moobunny changed under BBRV's control. I no longer feel comfortable posting there.

Alright, I have to say something here because this is probably THE most unfair comment I've ever heard considering Moobunny is what YOU personally made it into.

You, literally crapflooded Moobunny for months. The entre site was at the mercy of your personal whims for months at a time, it couldn't have been worse if you had actually OWNED moobunny.

Then you come to Amigaworld, and blame Moobunny for the mess you walked away from?

You said it yourself, Moobunny offered something you couldn't find somewhere else, so you raped what you wanted from the site and left it for dead when you satisfied your manly needs, soiling it for everyone else.

If you treated this site the same way, you'd see the same happen here.

In a way, this site is being raped too. This site doesn't condone the abuse of other sites at all, but it tends to get that reputation unfairly when certain people keep leaving bloody footprints from abuse they've commited elsewhere leading right to a post here talking about how bad that other place and abuse was.

Tired of all this "this site this, that site that" crap. Some of us read all the sites. They're all the same, just sheets of paper the users write on. Why shold anyone behave differently depending where they are? Why's it the paper's fault what you write on it?

Why is anything Moobunny's or AmigaWorld's fault? I've heard of blaming the messenger, but You were the messenger, the Message was yours, and you blamed the vehicle you carjacked to deliver it. I like Moobunny, I like AmigaWorld. I notice what you are talking about, but I also see your footfrints and those sneakers arn't sponsored by either site.

MikeB 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 4:23:52
#43 ]
Elite Member

@itix

IMO these issues should have remained out of view of the general public. Sadly a formal Amiga Inc executive warning letter got leaked into the public, allegedly by a (drunk!?) Thendic employee according to BBRV. This caused much public turmoil and public follow-ups from various community representatives addressing the issue were IMO to be expected.

cell 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 5:41:10
#44 ]

@Theodosius

Don't worry about this man -- everyone here knows that moobunny is a POS site that's frequented by losers who have nothing better to do than start trouble. Speaking of which, why do we allow blue trolls to cause so much discord on these forums? Their posts need to be ignored as junk. Not sure why they want to hang around here -- morphzone seems to be where they should be. This is not intended as a personal attack on anyone, but you don't see prominent amigaworld.net users posting BS on morphzone -- shouldn't the same courtesy be expected in return?

Last edited by cell on 06-Apr-2005 at 05:55 AM.

GregS 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 5:46:21
#45 ]

@cell
It is probably not a good thing to name people in the way you have, sometimes simple diplomacy and generalizations work well enough to get the message across.

I have posted this message just as little warning to the thread – that when sensitive matters are discussed sensitivity needs to increase a little.

Sorry cell to use your post as an explemplar.

cell 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 5:57:01
#46 ]

@GregS

Agreed -- thanks for putting my head back on straight -- I had blown my top for a second.

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 6:22:12
# ]

@cell

Quote:
Speaking of which, why do we allow blue trolls to cause so much discord on these forums? Their posts need to be ignored as junk

Magnetic/Realize is already banned so I wonder which blue trolls there are left to annoy you so much? Maybe I spend too little time here but I haven't noticed any blues who could be labeled as 'trolls' here lately.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 6:33:05
# ]

@hooligan

And DJBase and his amazing multiple accounts was booted....

'Pegasos/Christina' got him/herself in a pickle...

Moobunny in a nutshell:

Quote:

DENNIS:
Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
ARTHUR:
Shut up!
DENNIS:
Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
ARTHUR:
Bloody peasant!
DENNIS:
Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?

I used to study alongside a few extreme left wing activists who would go on demos, break windows and nick something then when they got arrested they would claim it was a political arrest just to big themselves up.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 6:46:48
# ]

Quote:
'Pegasos/Christina' got him/herself in a pickle...

Who the hell is pegasos/christina, and more importantly, is she free for dating?

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 6:47:58
# ]

@hooligan

Evas sister.

You know that moderators and users on computing sites are supposed to be more tolerant and in awe of the female nickname? Well this person tried that one, and it was plainly obvious......

You should try that one yourself.

Report this post  
olegil 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 7:33:57
#51 ]
Elite Member

@hooligan

Oh I was SOOO close to hitting that button. But then I remembered I actually LIKE purple. And technically mucosa (which foreskin, inside of mouth etc etc) are rather purplish to begin with, so I figured you wouldn't be THAT much of a bad boy.

But stop dissing migdet polish-persons or I WILL report you next time.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 7:47:22
# ]

@Wiffy

Quote:
You should try that one yourself.

From now on people can call me.. Angelique.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 7:48:46
#53 ]
Elite Member

@hooligan

Quote:
Magnetic/Realize is already banned so I wonder which blue trolls there are left to annoy you so much?

Realize/Magnetic's forum posting priviledges were restricted for a specified amount of time. AFAIK he was never banned and he's not restricted anymore. Of course if he crosses the line again there will likely be toucher measures.

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 7:57:19
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
Of course if he crosses the line again

Naah.. you know he is known of learning from first warning

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 8:09:30
# ]

@angelique

This site gets upwards of 8000 unique visitors a day, so despite the odd whinge of the odd bit of plankton on moobunny it must be doing something OK.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 8:13:01
# ]

@itix

Cool link, thanks.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 8:19:45
# ]

@Wiffy

Quote:
This site gets upwards of 8000 unique visitors a day, so despite the odd whinge of the odd bit of plankton on moobunny it must be doing something OK.

May I ask why you have such an urge to bring up Moobunny all the time? Personally I couldn't care less about Moobunny, nor I ever read or comment there. The site look hideous and IMO offers zero entertainment-value.

Leave me alone and pick another target.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 8:19:52
# ]

I said at the begining of this thread to delete it. The reasons are now obviosly clear.

@TMHG

It's a shame you were unable to see my "wise words" also apply to you. This thread had turned into Yet Another Flame (YAF) thanks in no small part to you.

If it was your intention to make yourself look like an idiot, you have succeded fantasticly well. Anyone with a brain knows that this website's moderation is a fair as you can get (For an Amiga site). You comments to the contry just make you look like you dropped your rattle out of your pram.

Why not grow up or go away. Either I'm sure will make the genuine "Community" thankfull.

Funny, before this thread, I was prepared to give you a chance. But now I see you really are just a pathetic troll.

@Amiga Community

Stop replying to tossers like this. Ignored, they just become irrelevant.

Report this post  
CodeSmith 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 8:20:19
#59 ]
Elite Member

Oh crap, it's starting again. Links to moobunny threads, "BBRV said that", the words "blue troll".

Sheesh, I thought this was all over. I guess I was wrong, no-one's really grown up.

Anonymous 
Posted on 6-Apr-2005 8:23:33
# ]

@hooligan

Can I ask why you think mentioning moobunny in a reply to a post by you is somehow victimising you? Wouldn't be a case of 'help help Im being repressed' would it? Or am I missing something ( like yards of spiel on #morphos about being over-familiar again )? I must go and look out that url for the #morphos live logs again...

You might have missed it but moobunny and aw.net are the subject of this thread ( more or less ) so you finding it strange that it is brought up ( appropos of nothing ) is stranger than the number of times I have mentioned it on this thread. In fact, go back and read through the thread, take a note of the number of posts I have made where I have mentioned the word "moobunny" and you might even be able to count it on the fingers that you were born with without resorting to your toes.

Then compare that with my post count ( conveniently over to the left here ) and you will see why I think you just made a strange comment.

So sue me for being on topic Ermintrude.

Oh yes, and to complete the wall building

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle