Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
49 crawler(s) on-line.
 142 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 klx300r:  6 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  10 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 amigasociety:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 19 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 36 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 1 min ago
 number6:  6 hrs 6 mins ago
 Karlos:  6 hrs 42 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Dave Haynie (lead engineer of C= Amiga) opinion on Amiga Successors
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )
PosterThread
Gav 
Re: Dave Haynie (lead engineer of C= Amiga) opinion on Amiga Successors
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 17:44:54
#781 ]

Oh my god this crap thread is still going,i`m starting to think ppl are just posting in it to keep going for ages because its all very boring and its all been said before.This arguing is so pointless and infact i have stayed off from here for the past few days because of sick of seeing this crap on the front page...Considering the same thread was posted at amiga.org and it never lasted that long thank god....So sad..

Profile     Report this post  
Wol 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 17:55:18
#782 ]

@Gav

Yeah, I know man !

That's why i've not posted... ( untill this comment )

YAWN YAWN FRIGGIN YAWN !!!!!!!!!!!!

Wol.

CD32freak 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 18:49:36
#783 ]

Once Early Humans started talking, they just couldn't stop.

Last edited by CD32freak on 26-Jan-2006 at 10:05 AM.
Last edited by CD32freak on 25-Jan-2006 at 06:50 PM.

-Sam- 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 18:52:19
#784 ]
Elite Member

@jkirk

Quote:
Don't you mean no official hardware.

No. I mean no hardware - there is nothing available that runs OS4 in it's current state.

The license 'thing' is an issue too as you point out.

Rudei 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 18:54:43
#785 ]
Elite Member

@Gav

Bump

Gav 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 19:38:52
#786 ]

Then again i just posted so thats helping keeping this on the front page lol dammit.....

Zardoz 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 19:40:42
#787 ]
Team Member

@Gav

The forum is full of threads, do you read every single one of them? I guessed not.
Now, skip this one and stop posting how much you dislike it.

Zardoz 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 19:42:38
#788 ]
Team Member

@giga

Quote:
Why don't you do something constructive to the future of OS4 and the Amiga. Share your knowledge, write a useful article for the IntuitionBase competition!

Dave Haynie designed Amigas.
Fabio Alemagna is one of the AROS developers.
Bernd Meyer/Umisef is the author of Amithlon, Umilator, the UAE JiT and other UAE developments.
What were you saying?

Gav 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 19:43:39
#789 ]

@AMiGR

Oh god pull the stick out will you,as a matter of fact i do read all the threads on he main page and all im saying is this thread is so boring and i wasnt the only one either.....
Oh good it doesnt seem to be on the main page now,my dreams have come true....

Last edited by Gav on 25-Jan-2006 at 07:44 PM.

Zardoz 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 19:45:58
#790 ]
Team Member

@Gav

The human brain has a very nice feature: It can ignore stuff.
Use it.

Gav 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 19:49:25
#791 ]

edited by wegster, removed flame

Gav- warning one, next one = vacation. You've yet to add anything of substance in this thread, take the whining and petty comments elsewhere.

And of course, for your reading pleasure:
Quote:

Requests from our staff: At any time, if a moderator or administrator makes a request of a user, that user is expected to follow the instructions. We rarely, if ever, challenge our users to do something (usually this has to do with an inappropriate avatar or some sort of aberrant behaviour). However, when it does happen, we expect it to be followed; participate in this site, and you participate in it as a privilege, not a right. You may always PM an administrator or the webmaster to ask questions or file a complaint. However, I place great faith and trust in my staff to do the right thing. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Flame/Attacks: Do not flame! Flaming refers to derogatory, abusive, threatening, sarcastic, rude, or otherwise mean-spirited messages directed at members/users. Be cautious when using sarcasm and humour. Without facial expressions and tone of voice, they do not translate easily over the Internet in posts and may be perceived as flaming. Report the flame posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member so that the situation can be dealt with immediately.

Last edited by wegster on 26-Jan-2006 at 02:03 AM.

jkirk 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 19:52:10
#792 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

Quote:

-Sam- wrote:
@jkirk

Quote:
Don't you mean no official hardware.

No. I mean no hardware - there is nothing available that runs OS4 in it's current state.

The license 'thing' is an issue too as you point out.

you misunderstand. official (os4 compatible ) hardware is not available.
there is hardware but as you said it is unable to run os4 as it is created.
currently there is no such thing as unofficial compatible hardware.

hense official hardware is all you can use with os4.

Last edited by jkirk on 25-Jan-2006 at 07:57 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Rudei 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 21:00:01
#793 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Quote:
The human brain has a very nice feature: It can ignore stuff.

When I met you, I didn't recall you being so grumpy?

Coder 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 21:03:05
#794 ]
Team Member

No more personal attacks. If you feel like it please do so in PM or normal e-mail but not in this thread anymore.

Coder

Zardoz 
Posted on 25-Jan-2006 21:28:51
#795 ]
Team Member

@Rudei

Sorry, I'm just VERY tired of people posting in a thread just to express how crappy they think it is and what a waste of time it was to read it, etc. I didn't tell him that he has no brain or anything, I told him to ignore the thread in (I admit) a rather not-so-nice way.

wegster 
Posted on 26-Jan-2006 2:01:43
#796 ]
Elite Member

@Gav
@Wol

Quote:

Gav wrote:
Oh my god this crap thread is still going,i`m starting to think ppl are just posting in it to keep going for ages because its all very boring and its all been said before.This arguing is so pointless and infact i have stayed off from here for the past few days because of sick of seeing this crap on the front page...Considering the same thread was posted at amiga.org and it never lasted that long thank god....So sad..

Yes, and you just contributed to it. Feel special now somehow? Feel free to PM if you really feel the need to respond, but give it a break- complaining about pointless posts with your own.

@Samface, Falemagn, others
Keep the personal attacks down, or they'll be removed.

It looks from here as this thread has pretty much run it's course, argue all you want, but keep to facts/non-personal, or it will be locked and/or dealt with.

Last edited by wegster on 26-Jan-2006 at 02:31 AM.

umisef 
Posted on 26-Jan-2006 3:35:16
#797 ]

@samface

Quote:
which is faster than the other is impossible for me to tell since both systems seems to respond within an instant

This would put you in a minority. The typical attitude towards running AmigaOS in WinUAE seems to be "but it just doesn't FEEL right. It just doesn't feel as instantaneous as a real Amiga; The mouse pointer just doesn't feel as if it is glued to the mouse, like even on the lowly A500" (paraphrased from many many such comments I have seen over the last decade).

The reason for that feeling is the delay that going through a host OS, and through an emulated video memory, introduces in the emulation. Which is exactly why I spent a lot of blood, sweat and tears making sure no such delays would exist in Amithlon.

So while maybe you cannot tell a difference, I can assure you that most other Amiga users can. If they couldn't, why would anyone have gone out and spent 150 Euro buying Amithlon, while WinUAE is free. These days, Amithlon is no longer available, of course, and that leaves a void which WinUAE cannot really fill.

Amithlon, despite "only" running an emulated OS3.9, fast, sold better than just about any other product in the Amiga market in the last five years. If you want to bring it into a discussion about whether Amigans are interested in running an OS on x86, you will have to do so on the "pro" side. Anything else would be plain silly!

(Let's not even talk about running native x86 code under WinUAE :)

falemagn 
Posted on 26-Jan-2006 6:47:40
#798 ]

@wegster

Quote:

@Samface, Falemagn, others
Keep the personal attacks down, or they'll be removed.

Yes da... err, wegster. But please do tell me when I personally attacked someone? Thanks.

~~ Henry Ford

Rudei 
Posted on 26-Jan-2006 8:05:18
#799 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

No problem AMiGR, was just an observation
You going to the next BB? (whenever that is) as I'll buy you a pint!

IceDragon 
Posted on 26-Jan-2006 8:51:21
#800 ]

@t3g

Quote:
"Four years" was a reference to the OS4 on Amiga One - in case you haven't noticed.

Then it's actually quite plain to project the same timespan that was necessary to
- port OS source to C (here: remove assembler and BCPL parts)
- port OS to PPC architecture
- implement various new features
- develop various drivers
on a port to a chip (CELL) that has a PPC core. This is the software part. I know that you went off in your last post about HW, but then you probably forgot that Eyetech did not take 4 years to produce the first HW (the quality of Amiga One is out of discussion here, we are talking about a timespan and the same timespan could have easily be achieved if Eyetech had contracted someone else than MAI).

Quote:

At least, with x86 you can start the port right now, that's not the same story if you expect any Cell hardware, which will be delayed (like any Amiga hardware, that's not a critic, just a fact)

You can start on anything that you want now. You can already start to port to CELL, too. There is enough information (even CELL software simulators you can test your code and performance on) out there to start with that, too. And as with x86 or a port to Peg or Mac, there is also the possibility that you do not even bother with creating an amiga specific board and use available HW. IBM has already shown linux workstations running on CELL and have announced that CELL will also be made available in that area. But it is not a point of what you can start on, it's a question of AInc giving the green light and Hyperion having the resources to do so. And iam inclined to think that before Hyperion will start on porting OS4 to a completely different architecture like x86 they want to see some results on PPC first (once again Hyperion never said that they target the desktop market from the business side - x86 port would not gain them anything significant in the embedded area).

Quote:
Of course Cell will be developped. Who would be stupid enough to say the contrary?

Well since you used the expression of "cell will be outdated HW by then", you are contradicting yourself. If you are implying that Hyperion only ports OS4 to proprietary HW e.g. an amiga OS4 specific Cell board, then you would have to compare that to an amiga OS4 specific x86 board, which will be outdated after 4 years too, which makes your statement superflous to say the least. The whole point is moot. The thing is that having proprietary HW always makes you lag behind, that's clear. But this is independent from the architecture. If you don't use custom HW on x86, so can you on other architecture. So whats the advantage ? None.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle