Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 164 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  54 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 DWolfman:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 cncparts:  3 hrs 35 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  4 hrs 21 mins ago
 Beajar:  4 hrs 40 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 42 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 46 mins ago
 RobertB:  6 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Is Genesi still intrested in Amiga market?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
Giovanni 
Re: Is Genesi still intersted in Amiga market?
Posted on 9-May-2006 18:07:02
#241 ]

@wonea

Quote:
Is that KAMOS?

Who the heck is kamos?

Profile     Report this post  
SlayeR__ 
Posted on 9-May-2006 18:10:27
#242 ]
Cult Member

@wonea

Quote:
Is it possible for AOS4 to be released?

When new HW is released.

wonea 
Posted on 9-May-2006 18:16:16
#243 ]

@SlayeR__

Okay, catch-22. I see, never gonna happen for ppc unless a deal is struck with Genesi.

SlayeR__ 
Posted on 9-May-2006 18:19:12
#244 ]
Cult Member

@wonea

Quote:
Okay, catch-22. I see, never gonna happen for ppc unless a deal is struck with Genesi.

No, things are happening Troka and Ack the known examples at the moment.

billt 
Posted on 9-May-2006 18:22:34
#245 ]
Elite Member

@Swagman

Quote:
Is there no way Hyperion could DO the hardware as well as the Os ?

Do they have any employees that are ahrdware engineers?

Can they get some?

Do they have the money for it and the OS both?

Can they get an OEM license for it from Amiga Inc?

wonea 
Posted on 9-May-2006 18:25:43
#246 ]

@SlayeR__

I've looked at the Troka but haven't seen any activity recently, and can't seem to find links to be Ack. Except on upgrade cards.
Got any links? When can I order one of these boards?

SlayeR__ 
Posted on 9-May-2006 18:35:07
#247 ]
Cult Member

@wonea

Quote:
Got any links?

Only Troika.

Quote:
When can I order one of these boards?

I expect them to be at sale at amiga sellers, when they are done.

Seer 
Posted on 9-May-2006 18:55:07
#248 ]
Team Member

@SlayeR__

Quote:
Quote:
For that reason, I don't know why BBRV keep making approaches to the "Amiga market."
Because he needs OS 4 for his hardware, to gain an edge noone else have.

Or maybe, just maybe BBRV has the same "love" towards Amiga that he wants "his" platform to run all "variants". (MOS, AOS4, doesn't AROS run on it ? BeOS?)

Really, what edge would AOS4 give him ? A few thousand Amiga users/developers ? The name ? Seems like he's better of having Linux running to sell "his" hardware.

Yabba 
Posted on 9-May-2006 18:58:53
#249 ]

@Seer

Quote:
Really, what edge would AOS4 give him ? A few thousand Amiga users/developers ? The name ? Seems like he's better of having Linux running to sell "his" hardware.

If you know our BB history you'd know that he has been obsessed with Amiga for 10 years. And apparently he is doing anything to achieve his goal.
I mean, I remember a while back when he claimed that he now owned AmigaOS including AmigaOS4 and that he would offer Hyperion to buy it back for a fair sum. Guess how many of the OS4 developers that are interested in a person that works like that....

regards,
Stefan

SlayeR__ 
Posted on 9-May-2006 18:59:28
#250 ]
Cult Member

@Seer

Quote:

The name the embedded strategy of OS 4. everyone else can have Linux too, wheres is hes edge in that ?.

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 9-May-2006 19:26:23
#251 ]

@SlayeR__

Quote:
I expect them to be at sale at amiga sellers, when they are done.

Neither board has been photographed, let alone is with Beta testers - so realistically we are a year away from product shipping from dealers.
This is if everything goes according to plan from now on.

If this is the only option for OS4 then I anticipate plenty of tumbleweed and whistling wind noises around at the time of launch.

Hyperion sound upbeat so I am hoping there is an alternative coming up the 'blindside' .

Seer 
Posted on 9-May-2006 19:27:01
#252 ]
Team Member

@IonMane

Quote:

Quote:
[quote]
could you sell AmigaOS4 under a different name?

No idea, I'm not a lawyer.

Hmmm, that could be something to find out.
[/quote]

Well, Roque may not be a lawyer but I'm pretty sure Hyperion does have a lawyer (and I don't mean one that IIRC was a partner once persee, AFAIK he left ?) who would allready have looked at that posibility some time ago if management has requested that of those lawyers.

Hm.. Can't tripple quote ?

Seer 
Posted on 9-May-2006 19:35:17
#253 ]
Team Member

@SlayeR__

The name the embedded strategy of OS 4. everyone else can have Linux too, wheres is hes edge in that ?.

Hundreds of thousands of programmers ? Several "big" applications handy ? No licenses to pay for the OS ?

Why get OS4 as he allready has/had access to MOS ? If AOS4 has an edge over Linux then MOS has that as well, with the advantage it allready runs on the hardware he is selling.

No, I think it's more as Yabba said, he's obsessed with Amiga OS. Like a lot of others here..

billt 
Posted on 9-May-2006 21:32:36
#254 ]
Elite Member

@wonea

Quote:

No, there is another...

Others have been interested. Some we know about, some we don't. Some gave up after failing to get Amiga Inc's atention for licensing, others are still working. I simply don't believe that bplan is the only company in the world capable of designing a system around PPC. Yea, they do good stuff, but there's tons and tons of PPC stuff they aren't part of out there... What if we make OS4 dependent on Genesi's continued existence and Genesi goes under? We'd be right back where we are, and we should learn to open our minds to other possibilities than only whichever "the one" each person chooses to obsess over.

billt 
Posted on 9-May-2006 22:36:18
#255 ]
Elite Member

@Yabba

Quote:
I mean, I remember a while back when he claimed that he now owned AmigaOS including AmigaOS4 and that he would offer Hyperion to buy it back for a fair sum. Guess how many of the OS4 developers that are interested in a person that works like that....

Using the reasoning he did to make that claim could actually dilute what he'd end up with. I haven't seen contracts with other contractors on teh OS4 project, but it seems quite a bit of those would be void should BBRV's logic become a legal judgement. They wanted to void Hyperion's contract with Amiga Inc. which woud likely dominoe effect and void the contracts with a lot of programmers, which subtracts those components from the "OS4" that Genesi would then have legal ownership of. Genesi can't claim ownership over something when the contract covering it is between Hyperion, P96 team and a 3rd party, btu Amiga Inc. is not included in that contract, correct? Especially if the Amiga/Hyperion contract is deemed void somehow then it was effectively not Hyperion's right to make OS4 related agreements with 3rd parties, and it all falls apart. Genesi can't possibly desire to "own" the resulting mess, so I can only imagine that if they are serious about making the mess then that itself is their true goal. Nothing else makes much sense, and I don't fancy the idea of seeing hwo such a mess could ever be cleaned up.

Besides, if AmigaOS "is" AmigaDE and they are one and the same, as that line of logic dictates, why don't those fancy DE/Anywhere games work on my AmigaOne which runs OS4? Seems it's a different product to me. The judge denied this claim anyway, and seeing the incompatibilities between OS4 and DE/Anywhere I don't see how BBRV can take their little binder from 1999 as proof these two items are one and the same in new court proceedings to again claim ownership of OS4 as it actually exists.

Are they also going to sue Microsoft if Vista doesn't ship with the new filesystem, the security token system, and all those other features that are getting left out? That's what was originally announced, but a lot of those promises have since been recinded, mangling the plans of other developers and companies in the process...

neonlite 
Posted on 9-May-2006 22:46:35
#256 ]

nah,
the only profitable and realistic solution,to some extent that is, ,for Amiga OS, in the near future, is...PS3

i mean,let's face it guys,ACK and Troika which is the closest to HW solution, is at least a year away,probably longer...half of these here ship-rats,including me,will skip the ship by that time...

we don't have support from AInc,none from Eyetech,...
we don't have NOTHING else than an almost finished OS, without a Browser and without an Office suit,a 1500 A1 units around out there without any HW support-resulting in no serious interest to SW support(e.a. finishing the so nedeed browser and office suit for the OS4 at least,..)

and we don't have a HW to run this OS,not even in the near future,as some say
(maybe my understanding of ˝future˝ differrs from yours here,as by ˝future˝ I mean---in 6 to12 months MOST,NOT MORE!, a HW solution to come out)

I'm loosing my interest,i must admit,with each passing day...

I'm tired of waiting...,tired of watching each day for something to BOOM here on this site,
I'm tired of this great VOID OF NOTHING!

I really find myself a BIG amiga enthusiast(not user though) but...

I'm giving Amiga one last chance myself....a trial period of 6 to 12 months...
and after that...if nothing happens,or if another sad AOne scenario happens...

I'm gone!

knowing I'm not the only one...

for there is a LIFE out there,and what is dead...stays dead!

ONE LAST CHANCE FOR AMIGA!NOT DEAD YET,BUT IN COMA!

neonlite 
Posted on 9-May-2006 23:07:05
#257 ]

I'm writing this in sane momentum...
I'm not kidding...

Either you give me exlusive news,something to cheer,hope and upheal about...
and give it REAL soon...,
or...I'm doing a LOBOTOMY of my AMIGA part of the brain

this is not a threat-talk to a ceartain subject,for who gives a sh.t what I think right?
this is merely a description of my brain-waves,and I believe, a lot of other's as well

I'm tired of this ˝no talk and no announccements until sth done...˝
heck ˝nothing IS done˝!
as much as I,and all of us here, know...
or at least nothing is happening...

I didn't like that policy of non-talking, toward the community in the first place,
for because of number-some morons acting SMART, the community is deprived of it's only asset---HOPE and SALVATION-STRINGS...

I'm one rat sinking in a sinking ship,and I don't see a salvation-string to grasp for...

MY ONLY HOPE IS...PS3 option

PLEASE DO THINK ABOUT IT...whoever it may concern

gary_c 
Posted on 10-May-2006 0:51:35
#258 ]
Cult Member

@Atheist

Quote:
've seen hundreds of posts by samface on ANN.Lu and been hard pressed to find a mistake anywhere.

Hmm. Atheist doesn't find any mistakes by Samface. Why is that no surprise? We each make up our own minds about what constitutes a mistake, obviously. If I wanted to spend the time, I could give you some examples, but it ain't worth it.

Quote:
However what I have seen, which again you don't acknowledge very much, if at all is the amount of vicious attacks against him.

Samface invites these attacks with his relentless, rigid and pedantic ways. This is something I know intimately. Frequently (I know you know this already because of your keen awareness of his posts at ANN.lu ) the issue shifts from the original topic to Samface himself because of the way he steadily slides around in a discussion even to contradictory positions in order to avoid admitting error. (Disclaimer: Naturally this is IMHO.) Again, I could give examples but that would be a monumental waste of time.

You know, I think any time a discussion on a forum moves from the legitimate forum topic to the participants it's time to take a breath and get back on track. Let's do that.

-- gary_c

gary_c 
Posted on 10-May-2006 0:59:50
#259 ]
Cult Member

@Giovanni

Quote:
Who the heck is kamos?

French existentialist philosopher and venture capitalist.

Actually, he means KMOS, the company that was formed (apparently by the original investors in Amiga, Inc.) to buy Amiga IP and then Amiga, Inc. itself, which then changed its name to Amiga, Inc.

-- gary_c

gary_c 
Posted on 10-May-2006 1:16:32
#260 ]
Cult Member

@Yabba

Quote:
If you know our BB history you'd know that he has been obsessed with Amiga for 10 years. And apparently he is doing anything to achieve his goal.

Not at all. His primary interest in the Amiga market/community is to add momentum to Power.org, which is basically the last stand for PowerPC players, and by extention to the PowerPC architecture. The remaining PowerPC community is small -- though much larger than what's left of the Amiga crowd -- so any new additions, even rather small, would contribute to keeping things going. This is what bBRV told me following one of the previous forays into Amigaworld.net. I imagine "having Amiga" would give some ironic satisfaction, considering the conflicts of the last decade or whatever, but that would apparently be a side-effect, not the substantial point.

Whether having the Amiga community connected with Power.org would be net plus or minus for the organization and platform I'll leave for people to decide for themselves, though BBRV seem to think it would be a plus. I have my doubts.

Quote:

Sure, he "claimed" it on the premature assumption that the court case would go his way. Not a prudent thing to do, for sure. As to whether Hyperion or AOS4 would be in better circumstances now if that had happened is obviously open to debate. Anyway, "for a fair sum" means what it says, so I don't know what the problem is on that point.

-- gary_c

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle