Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 140 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  1 min ago
 matthey:  11 mins ago
 Karlos:  28 mins ago
 OlafS25:  34 mins ago
 pixie:  47 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 43 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 Luc:  4 hrs 6 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 28 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  IRC session with ACK....
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Zardoz 
Re: IRC session with ACK....
Posted on 3-May-2007 20:52:03
#21 ]
Team Member

@Insanity

Quote:
fastest client machine not server?

The PowerMac G5 was not a server line, that'd be the XServe G5 line.

Profile     Report this post  
stevieu 
Posted on 3-May-2007 20:53:05
#22 ]
Cult Member

@AMiGR

Trust you to plug a bit of Judas Priest :P

A1200 - OS3.1: Blizzard IV 030, 64mb ram, 400mb HDD

OS4.x - Flying the AMIGA flag

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 3-May-2007 20:56:39
#23 ]

@Metalheart

Quote:
Sounds nice....

Hmm. Let's cast a sceptical eye over this.

I don't care if the sky opened up and God told me to sell motherboards only, it's not going to happen.
Nothing like listening to potential customers. But quite understandable in light of...

The unhappy people are free to buy a system, rip out the motherboard and mod to their hearts content, but are unlikely to get much assistance if they stray from known issues.
To me that reads like a semi-admission that the design is so touchy that you'll hit problems as soon as you use anything other than the supplied parts. That'll make upgrading an interesting experience, and give A1 users a nice case of deja-vu.

Although I will say, it's faster than anything Apple ever produced on the PowerPC side of thiings.
So it'll be faster than the 2.7GHz dual-processor G5 Macs? Right. That one I'll believe when it happens, and not a moment before.

It didn't make sense to use IDE.
Indeed. All those stupid people wanting to use one of the incredibly plentiful supply of IDE DVD burners, or perhaps employ a cheap IDE/CompactFlash converter to build a silent system. A few may even think about connecting an IDE drive from an exisiting Amiga or A1 to transfer data. They are clearly misguided.

The funny thing is, I'm sure the people complaining about the low end aren't really interested anyway.
Yup. And getting less interested with every new bit of information...

Metalheart 
Posted on 3-May-2007 20:58:30
#24 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

Judas priest rocks !!

That as soon as you're born you're dying

Tomas 
Posted on 3-May-2007 21:00:17
#25 ]
Elite Member

I find it funny that people moan about the system being sold pre assembled in a nice case, with branded keyboard and mouse when people moaned about the opposite when the amigaone was released.

billt 
Posted on 3-May-2007 21:04:07
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:
The faster ppc machine apple produced was quad G5 2,5 GHZ!!!!!!!!! what he will use? A power CPU? a PAsemi PWRficient? Cell CPU? or exists a faster G5?

Figures. You might as well have a "better than a Mac" computer to put a "better than OSX" software on.

I'm really curious to see what he's come up with this time. Thems is pretty bold words in that vague description. It'd be really cool if it comes to be. It'd have to really be something for me to pay up for as I already have an AmigaOne. Wishful thinking, but I'd absolutely LOVE to see him come up with a laptop solution. I'd probably buy a laptop for OS4 of any performance level, just to get my OS4 experience untethered from the desk in my back room.

Last edited by billt on 03-May-2007 at 09:05 PM.

terminator3 
Posted on 3-May-2007 21:07:16
#27 ]

I think it'd be nice that a low end system should be: a laptop.
what about making a laptop??? I think it would be nice to have a portable amiga system.
is this feasible instead of the proposed low level end board? (asked same question on news release).
Can we forget all those pci slots and have a low end portable laptop??? and make high end system with more options? (no white case, but light greyish (lighter than dells even) with Amiga on it.

Tomas 
Posted on 3-May-2007 21:09:01
#28 ]
Elite Member

@DrBombcrater

Quote:
It didn't make sense to use IDE.
Indeed. All those stupid people wanting to use one of the incredibly plentiful supply of IDE DVD burners, or perhaps employ a cheap IDE/CompactFlash converter to build a silent system. A few may even think about connecting an IDE drive from an exisiting Amiga or A1 to transfer data. They are clearly misguided.

Maybe it has something to do with cost and space savings? IDE is outdated and it would make sense to use SATA if one of them had to be dropped. There will most likely be plenty of cheap sata burners, flash adapters and such soon anyways.

terminator3 
Posted on 3-May-2007 21:09:15
#29 ]

@billt

funny we posted about laptop within minutes... good to see that there's a definite market for laptop. I'd say scratch off those low-level designs and replace it with laptop.

L8-X 
Posted on 3-May-2007 21:10:37
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Metalheart

I'll believe ACK when someone has one of these machines in their hands.

Until then.....talk is cheap.

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 3-May-2007 21:12:23
#31 ]

@Insanity

Quote:
ps: my a64 3200+ (newcastle core) s754 with 3 diskdrives and an ati 1650pro running on my asusmobo based on nforce3, runs perfect on my 300w :DS

The whole power thing is hyped up too much. I run a dual-core Athlon X2 4600, 2GB ram, overclocked 7900GS gfx card, NForce4-SLI mobo, 3 SATA drives, 2 DVD burners, and 2 PCI cards all from a 380W power supply with zero problems.

stevieu 
Posted on 3-May-2007 21:17:14
#32 ]
Cult Member

@Tomas

Quote:
I find it funny that people moan about the system being sold pre assembled in a nice case, with branded keyboard and mouse when people moaned about the opposite when the amigaone was released.

Definitely. But I think the option should be there for people to choose. Choice is what matters at the end of the day

A1200 - OS3.1: Blizzard IV 030, 64mb ram, 400mb HDD

OS4.x - Flying the AMIGA flag

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 3-May-2007 21:30:30
#33 ]
Cult Member
From: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy

@dirigent

Quote:
@Amiga4000

Quote:
###ACKCONTROLS### The case, keyboard, and mouse will be Amiga branded.

That's my baby!

Interesting. Haven't read the transcript yet, but, did he say anything about maybe having a Help key on that branded keyboard? Since they're branded, that means they're essentially custom (since, being branded, they'd likely at least have boing-balls in place of any windoze keys) so it wouldn't be that hard to have the company making the keyboards add a Help key in there somewhere. If they have them add a set of multimedia keys, they could simply say "and while you're at it, add this key up there, too."

Insanity 
Posted on 3-May-2007 21:36:50
#34 ]

@amigr

(hans said:)
Quote:
The faster ppc machine apple produced was quad G5 2,5 GHZ!!!!!!!!!

I though that apple only did quads in the Xserve, which was what I was fishing for.

Last edited by Insanity on 03-May-2007 at 09:38 PM.

If you are going to quote me, do so fully or not at all.
/Ins

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 3-May-2007 21:40:22
#35 ]

@L8-X

Quote:
I'll believe ACK when someone has one of these machines in their hands.

Until then.....talk is cheap.

You hit the nail on the head!

Blabla bla bla bla bla bla

I'd rather talk about the court case!

Hagbard_Celine 
Posted on 3-May-2007 21:53:51
#36 ]

Damn, I was so blind all the time.

Guys, Elbox? Maybe Elbox is producing Adams boards.

They are able to do that, plus you know their stand against Hyperion.

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 3-May-2007 21:55:44
#37 ]

@Tomas

Quote:
Maybe it has something to do with cost and space savings? IDE is outdated and it would make sense to use SATA if one of them had to be dropped. There will most likely be plenty of cheap sata burners, flash adapters and such soon anyways.

Optical drives, yes. Not so sure about flash adaptors.

Dropping IDE support just seems like a strange design decision. SATA/IDE bridge chips are tiny and don't cost that much. Going SATA only wouldn't be so bad on a system that had lots of spare PCI slots, but on this design getting IDE capability means using 50% of your PCI slots or buying SATA/IDE adaptor cards, which are often of uneven reliability and can be hard to fit in small cases.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 3-May-2007 22:08:49
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:

I think you'll find that it's different people doing the moaning in each case. Some want a box they can plug in and go, some want to pick and choose components.

I normally like to build my own systems, but if if the components are not too cheap'n'nasty, the box looks respectable and the entire system has a nice guarantee, I may go for the all-in-one box.

The Apple-esque "you're on yer own sucka!" upgrade story is a bit disconcerting, but after having had some trouble myself with a Gigabyte x86 motherboard and "enthusiast" RAM, I can believe that guaranteeing support for all components on the market is too much to hope for.

We'll see what Monday brings wrt the high end board. Adam said a few rather bold things on IRC, unless that high end box can take on a dual G5 he's going to have some egg on his face. A dual G5 system (based on Antares?) going for less than $1500 would be quite nice, though. It should be possible: Apple used to sell Antares-based G5s for that much, and that was two years ago and included Apple's inflated markup. The usual Moore's law induced price reduction and lack of Apple shininess tax should more or less compensate for the lousy economies of scale.

All of this assumes, of course, that Amiga Inc aren't splattered with Hyperion's brains at the time the boxes go on sale. Killing the one group that is widely seen as having kept the platform alive all these years is not going to be good PR for them, regardless of how the judge sees things. It is imperative that they arrive at an amiable solution to this mess.

Last edited by CodeSmith on 03-May-2007 at 10:09 PM.

Amigo1 
Posted on 3-May-2007 22:17:39
#39 ]

@AMiGR

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@Metalheart

Yeah, it's gonna be "Faster than a laser bullet, louder than an atom bomb, chromium plated boiling metal brighter than a thousand suns".

Zardoz 
Posted on 3-May-2007 22:44:06
#40 ]
Team Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:
unless that high end box can take on a dual G5 he's going to have some egg on his face.

Well, he said faster than any PPC machine Apple made, so it's quad G5 it has to take on, not just a double.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle