Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 117 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  pixie,  AMIGASYSTEM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  3 secs ago
 OlafS25:  3 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  4 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  8 mins ago
 Hammer:  12 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  20 mins ago
 amigakit:  21 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  50 mins ago
 Matt3k:  51 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  ACK developer boards, we are near the one month late time period
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
PosterThread
Kronos 
Re: ACK developer boards, we are near the one month late time period
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 7:41:24
#201 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:

Your 'true believers' comment is just a slap in the face. We have our doubts about what ack will do, but we treat him with respect as one person to another deserves, unlike the 'pit of Hell' that ppl have created for him here.

Slight correction needed :

"....unlike the 'pit of Hell' that he has created for him here."

Nothing comes without causes.

Profile     Report this post  
sundown 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 9:15:14
#202 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
I personally don't buy the hurt/no pictures reason, that always felt a bit like a cop-out to get him out of posting pictures that he maybe wasn't comfortable with because of other reasons.

Adam stated right off that he wasn't about to take pictures to prove anything. He did break down & said he would take a few, but then his Dad ended up in the hospital & wasn't expected to survive. I'm guessing not many ppl here are old enough to have experienced the loss of a parent yet, it's a very life disrupting & shocking experience to go through for most ppl. People didn't hesitate to resort to name calling much like they're doing now, yes he has every right to ignore us all. Do you buy h/w because it looks pretty or do you buy because the specs are what you're looking for? Adam has given the specs for both the low & high end systems.

I don't know Adam personally, so I won't attempt to answer the rest. Adam's made mistakes, thats for sure, but the beatings went too far when ppl started messing with his family. You don't mess with a man's family & then ask for favors, well some think they can.

Adam's character is OT in this thread & AI has the developer boards on hold till the court case is settled. What more needs to be said in this thread?

Toni 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 9:26:24
#203 ]

@sundown

Quote:

... the beatings went too far when ppl started messing with his family. You don't mess with a man's family & then ask for favors, well some think they can.

Adam's character is OT in this thread & AI has the developer boards on hold till the court case is settled. What more needs to be said in this thread?

Agreed.

Toni

sundown 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 9:26:58
#204 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Change it to anything you like if you feel that justifies your actions. It won't bring h/w any faster & you set yourself up to be judged as you judge others. Same goes for everyone else.

@all

Maturity, where did it go?

tonyw 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 10:23:02
#205 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

When was it ever here?

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

jtsiren 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 10:47:13
#206 ]
Cult Member

@sundown

Quote:
He did break down & said he would take a few, but then his Dad ended up in the hospital & wasn't expected to survive. I'm guessing not many ppl here are old enough to have experienced the loss of a parent yet, it's a very life disrupting & shocking experience to go through for most ppl

I think it may be a bit presumptuos to assume what people have or have not gone through. Many people just deal with them in different ways. Again, I give Adam a lot of benefit of the doubt and leeway when it comes to personal issues affecting things - I just don't think/agree they explain it all and I dislike the feeling that maybe they are used a bit as an excuse to explain more than they do.

These personal issues certainly don't explain the whole history over the years, nor does the Amiga Inc. court case - at least not in any way I can see they could. Adam is free to correct me.

Quote:
Do you buy h/w because it looks pretty or do you buy because the specs are what you're looking for? Adam has given the specs for both the low & high end systems.

Specs we've seen many times before, they are easy to produce. What we don't know is how tangible the products are and what Adam's track-record is (well, we know what we know, but we don't know how accurately it describes his ability to produce hardware). Pictures, public demonstrations or whatever would go some way to help with this.

I understand Adam may not agree. This isn't even about the one time he promised to deliver pictures, that is a mere detail. It is just about the fact that people have IMHO very, very good reason to doubt his announcements and him staying silent just adds to that suspicion. I still have to wonder why he does that, is it just because he doesn't agree posting proof would help anything, or is/has there been other reasons to hide the status of his projects.

Obviously many of these things are in the past, we don't know what the status of his latest project is, but those past issues are still open and I think would deserve some resolution.

Quote:
I don't know Adam personally, so I won't attempt to answer the rest. Adam's made mistakes, thats for sure, but the beatings went too far when ppl started messing with his family. You don't mess with a man's family & then ask for favors, well some think they can.

I don't think we are asking for favors, I think we are asking him to simply follow-up on his own announcements. Again, he made the announcements, not us. Also only a vocal few made immature personal comments, it would of course be fine to ignore them, but I don't think everyone can be ignored when at the same time he continues to announce things here for everyone.

Am I the only one who feels Adam has some responsibility towards us after making all those many marketing announcements to us and then failing to deliver with only silence to follow?

Last edited by jtsiren on 24-Jun-2007 at 10:50 AM.

Framiga 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 10:53:18
#207 ]
Elite Member

remember only that although we are speaking about "computers", thare are people involved, not bots.

Act as you would be in real life and you'll get no problems.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 10:59:40
#208 ]

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@jtsiren

Adam stated right off that he wasn't about to take pictures to prove anything. He did break down & said he would take a few, but then his Dad ended up in the hospital & wasn't expected to survive. I'm guessing not many ppl here are old enough to have experienced the loss of a parent yet, it's a very life disrupting & shocking experience to go through for most ppl. People didn't hesitate to resort to name calling much like they're doing now, yes he has every right to ignore us all.

First things first - let's separate the man from the business shall we? You (and others) are personalising this by referring to the poster as Adam. The postings are made by (iirc) ACkctrls - the name of the business, NOT the man.
The hardware announcement was made by Ack Software Controls Inc. Since the existence of this entity is yet to be proven, except by reference to Amigaworld.net news articles and Linux postings, I choose to refer to this as Ack Software Controls Inc (AIE) - (AIE = Assuming It Exists)

To deal with the personal attacks on Adam, the president of Ack Software Controls Inc (AIE):
When Adam announced that he would not be showing pictures due to personal tragedy - as I remember it, the vast majority of people were quite supportive, and willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as events unfolded. With the notable exception of one or two people here and at Amiga.org (probably the same person - subsequently banned in both places) most people were sympathetic and stayed on the safe side - assuming that Adam was not lying about his family problems.

Now seperating the business from the personal:
This wasn't just a one-off incident. Presentations were repeatedly postponed, rescheduled, and cancelled (often on the same day as the event should have been held).

If Ack Software Controls Inc (AIE) wants to make wild claims about new hardware being nearly-ready/in-production/running-linux/awaiting-only-documentation-before-going-out-the-door that is fine.
If they wish to make these claims and provide no evidence to back it up, and never release any products that is fine.
If Ack Software Controls Inc (AIE) wants to make joint statements with Amiga.Inc, whilst refusing to answer direct questions on which OS it will run, and whether any contract has actually been signed with Amiga.inc that is also fine.

But if Ack Software Controls Inc (AIE) want us to actually take then seriously as a hardware designer/manufacturer then they need to demonstrate that these claims are more than just vapour.

And that's before we get to the "missing motherboards".

Quote:
Do you buy h/w because it looks pretty or do you buy because the specs are what you're looking for? Adam has given the specs for both the low & high end systems.

Ack Software Controls Inc (AIE) also gave the specs for the in-production-just-need-documentation PowerVixxens. And then a few months later the spec changed. Then the photos failed to be shown. etc, etc, etc.
Words are all that has been delivered by Ack Software Controls Inc (AIE) so far.

Quote:

I ask the man for nothing. This business, Ack Software Controls Inc (AIE), has disillusioned it's potential customers. If they wish to regain the trust of the community they have to work at it. This means going a step further than they would previously have had to. They must show evidence.

Quote:
Adam's character is OT in this thread

Wholeheartedly agreed

Quote:

AI has the developer boards on hold till the court case is settled.

Where did you get this? Where has this been said? If this is the case why were all announcements (including joint announcements made by A.inc and Ack Software Controls Inc (AIE) announcing the developer board schedule) made AFTER the court case started?

I'm sorry, but yet again this appears to be total fabrication by Ack Software Controls Inc (AIE).

Framiga 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 11:29:37
#209 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

your very descriptive indeed!

"To deal with the personal attacks on Adam, the president of Ack Software Controls Inc (AIE)"

and this detailed description is a Google aid? very smart indeed!

how many things i left to learn! thanks

erm... out of me to defend nor attack Adam behaviour. I found only interesting the whole thing.

Last edited by Framiga on 24-Jun-2007 at 11:31 AM.

jtsiren 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 14:10:00
#210 ]
Cult Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
First things first - let's separate the man from the business shall we? You (and others) are personalising this by referring to the poster as Adam. The postings are made by (iirc) ACkctrls - the name of the business, NOT the man.

Fair point. Although given that this likely is a one-man enterprise I personally chose to assume ACK and Adam as one and same - I mean, if we were to think of ACK as a regular full-fledged company, any personal reasons like family issues would go out the window as unacceptable excuses for a company. I don't necessarily think that would be fair, I do appreciate that what Adam is trying to do is hard for such a small enterprise.

I just wish he'd not lead anybody on and that he'd make more careful announcements and at least explained himself better when failure occurs.

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 14:26:40
# ]

@sundown

If we're going to talk about the few bad posts that people made, then we should at least acknowledge all the people who took the time to post messages of support and genuine heart-felt sympathy for Adam.

Otherwise, people being generalised about and we're individuals on this forum too.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 24-Jun-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Report this post  
Boot_WB 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 15:12:08
#212 ]

@jtsiren

Quote:
jtsiren wrote:
Although given that this likely is a one-man enterprise I personally chose to assume ACK and Adam as one and same - I mean, if we were to think of ACK as a regular full-fledged company, any personal reasons like family issues would go out the window as unacceptable excuses for a company. I don't necessarily think that would be fair, I do appreciate that what Adam is trying to do is hard for such a small enterprise.

I just wish he'd not lead anybody on and that he'd make more careful announcements and at least explained himself better when failure occurs.

I appreciate what you're saying, however this is a prickly pear. I think it is easier - both for us and for Adam - to aim criticism of Ack's business methods at a professional level. Once the personal and professional are mixed, this leaves the way open for such personal insults as have (occasionally, and regrettably) been seen in the Amiga forums.

I'm also pretty sure Adam would rather do business without having to discuss his family business every time he is answering a query.

Assuming he is a one-man enterprise I fail to see how he could be producing the $500,000 revenue to secure a license for Amiga OS4.
Any mention of precisely which Amiga OS these latest machines will run has been deafeningly absent from all announcements and discussion:

Quote:
Two New Hardware Designs for the Amiga Operating System

Also, the summer deadline was not just for developer editions. Lest we forget:
Posted April 29th Quote:
Entry level product ready for Customers Summer 2007

Posted May 7th Quote:
Power level product ready for Customers Winter 2007

The court proceedings started April 26th. The proceedings were initiated by Amiga Inc - this was not a spanner in the works for them, they knew it was coming and could plan for this in any schedules for hardware release which they announced.

jtsiren 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 15:41:49
#213 ]
Cult Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
I appreciate what you're saying, however this is a prickly pear. I think it is easier - both for us and for Adam - to aim criticism of Ack's business methods at a professional level.

Probably. But it was Adam who brought out the family reasons to explain (lack of) performance by ACK. In this regard it will be quite difficult to try to separate the two, when ACK doesn't seem to and much of their public explanations (how ever few those may be) have been based on these personal reasons and their repercussions.

Without those personal/private explanations for business failings, ACK's public posture would be even weaker. So in a way, ACK does seem to want to discuss personal issues whenever it suits them.

Quote:
Assuming he is a one-man enterprise I fail to see how he could be producing the $500,000 revenue to secure a license for Amiga OS4.

I doubt Amiga Inc. really have been enforcing that $500,000 limit whenever they deem in their current interests to not to.

Just to make it clear: I don't know if ACK is a one man enterprise. Like someone said, it has been very hard to gather any information on the company. However, if ACK indeed were a multi-person company, Adam's personal woes should have less impact on their productivity.

Quote:
The court proceedings started April 26th. The proceedings were initiated by Amiga Inc - this was not a spanner in the works for them, they knew it was coming and could plan for this in any schedules for hardware release which they announced.

Yeah, but look how conveniently the court case has been used as a possible explanation for delay by at least some observers if not also ACK themselves (if people quoting him are correct)...

Last edited by jtsiren on 24-Jun-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Last edited by jtsiren on 24-Jun-2007 at 03:42 PM.

hatschi 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 15:47:30
#214 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
Just to make it clear: I don't know if ACK is a one man enterprise. Like someone said, it has been very hard to gather any information on the company. However, if ACK indeed were a multi-person company, Adam's personal woes should have less impact on their productivity.

I think ACK is a one-man enterprise, at least Adam seems to be the only one at ACK working on the Amiga announcement "business":

Quote:
I have been working behind the scenes to make a few different things happen...but I'm only one person....and a very busy one at that.

Link

ChrisH 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 15:52:25
#215 ]
Elite Member

@sundown who said Quote:
Your 'true believers' comment is just a slap in the face.

What would you have me call them? "True believers" was the nicest & most polite name I could think of, for a group of people who still believe in him, despite a mountain of worrying facts.

If someone wanted to call me a "True believer in AmigaOS", then I'd be quite happy.

Helge 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 15:58:13
#216 ]
Cult Member

@All

I remember when Amiga Inc had faith in me not revealing things they entrusted me, but i chose to break the silence and reveal Amiga Incs plans to the whole community, so that they could make up their mind weither or not Amiga Inc are true or not..

I also remember that i asked them for edvicence of their plans, and i remember what the answer was. Either they claimed they would be revealed when the time was right, or either they didn't have anything to show off..

I trust all the other companies, but not Amiga Inc.

The worse thing is that nobody is really telling what is going on. Well, we have the link to the reports saying what is happening moment after moment during the trial case..

ChrisH 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 16:09:31
#217 ]
Elite Member

@sundown who said Quote:
Adam put family first (how rude) & ppl bashed him yet again for the delay. He is human & while his Dad was dying, ppl lashed out at him yet again.

Quote:
People didn't hesitate to resort to name calling much like they're doing now, yes he has every right to ignore us all.

That's a fairly distorted view of events, IMHO:

He got bashed for delays, and so mentioned his father's health problems (he never said dying, just ill). Due to people reading the start of a thread, before it's end, some people replied before reaching the post where he mentioned his father's problems. Adam mistook one of these posts (no-one knows which one cos he won't tell us), so he got REALLY upset by it, and then refused to listen to any explanations.

After the "father post", people were generally polite. Some people continued to push for the photos ASAP. And after all the delays & broken promises, a few were quite rightly sceptical of this untimely excuse, but still stayed fairly civil IMHO.

To me it seems like Adam chose to make a scape goat of one or two people briefly mis-behaving. Or he otherwise judged the whole AmigaWorld.net (if not whole community) based on a few isolated posts.

Benji 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 19:33:49
#218 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
To me it seems like Adam chose to make a scape goat of one or two people briefly mis-behaving. Or he otherwise judged the whole AmigaWorld.net (if not whole community) based on a few isolated posts.

Or maybe as I said weeks ago before everything kicked off - the new website and the hardware announcements are just for the benefit of the lawyers who may or may not be watching. He might think Amiga Inc are getting him to source hardware but they might have a different end to the game.

Until there is any evidence rather than just an announcement of an announcement (something Bill claimed would never happen again) then there could be 101 reasons.

The only evidence of anything is the reality of a court case - which is a good reason/excuse not to do anything until its over.

syrtran 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 20:16:55
#219 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
He got bashed for delays, and so mentioned his father's health problems (he never said dying, just ill). Due to people reading the start of a thread, before it's end, some people replied before reaching the post where he mentioned his father's problems. Adam mistook one of these posts (no-one knows which one cos he won't tell us), so he got REALLY upset by it, and then refused to listen to any explanations.

Adam didn't 'mistook' (sic) any posts. After Adam had posted about his father's illness, there was a really nasty reply against him that was moderated out of existence. I was one of the unlucky few who actually read it. I was about to send my first-ever AR when the post text was deleted by a mod. I guess Adam managed to see it as well.

EDIT - added:

Quote:
After the "father post", people were generally polite. Some people continued to push for the photos ASAP. And after all the delays & broken promises, a few were quite rightly sceptical of this untimely excuse, but still stayed fairly civil IMHO.

No. After the first post was moderated, the person responded -again- just as nastily. Adam vowed never to post again. He didn't manage to stay totally quiet, but he seems to be trying to stay away(*). With some of the posts earlier in this thread, I don't blame him.

edit -spelling

(*) I'm sure some trolls here will just say "Yet another broken promise."

Last edited by syrtran on 24-Jun-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Last edited by syrtran on 24-Jun-2007 at 08:24 PM.

People who generalize are always wrong.

1989 - 500 / 1991 - 3000 / 1997 - Genesis Flyer 1200T / 2003 - A1XE

AP 
Posted on 24-Jun-2007 21:15:39
#220 ]
Cult Member

Adam may be a nice person but ACK isn´t a serious company for me after all this broken promises and lies (same for AmigaInc.).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle