Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 154 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  20 mins ago
 Rob:  30 mins ago
 amigakit:  41 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  58 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 5 mins ago
 A1200:  3 hrs 12 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 sibbi:  3 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  ACK proven untrustworthy
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Rudei 
Re: ACK proven untrustworthy
Posted on 9-Aug-2007 17:07:12
#41 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

I'm afraid that's the way it reads to me and I'd appreciate if don't impose your opinions on me, got it?

@ChrisH

Fair enough, it just seems you have gone a long way to point this out. All of your posts seem to be quite negative towards others, whether it be other websites, companies, individuals. Seems a shame as you seem quite an intelligent fellow.

Rude!

Last edited by Rudei on 09-Aug-2007 at 05:09 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
pixie 
Posted on 9-Aug-2007 17:17:26
#42 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:
This discussion has been on going for over a year now, thread after thread. It has become a vendetta in my opinion as well, no matter how its worded.

Poor poor ACK...

Manu 
Posted on 9-Aug-2007 17:20:01
#43 ]

It just puzzles me how You find the energy to keep the discussion
going, sure I am reading some of it, but I think it doesn't gonna
help anyone anymore, I think ACK deliberately keeps away of these
threads.

I'm only here to enjoy my popcorn nowdays so for me
I guess anything will do .

RockDemon 
Posted on 9-Aug-2007 19:58:52
#44 ]

@AP

i wholeheartedly agree. just the only way i think i can explain his actions. i guess i like to see the best in people whether i should bother or not is a completely different question..

ChrisH 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 0:36:37
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Rudei who said Quote:
All of your posts seem to be quite negative towards others

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Excluding ACK, I have very rarely been negative to others, as far as I recall.

Possibly you are misinterpreting my writing style? I am blunt about my views, when I think honesty is the best way. But I expect others to be equally blunt back.

Nor do I hold grudges, because I have better ways to waste my time - although ACK may not believe that! For example, I held a very negative view of Amiga Inc for a long time, but recent evidence brought up by the court case forced me to change my mind. I would be quite willing to change my mind about ACK, if he gave the chance for that.

Last edited by ChrisH on 10-Aug-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 10-Aug-2007 at 12:37 AM.

tomazkid 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 1:22:59
#46 ]
Team Member

@ChrisH and other participants of this thread

As it is, ACK has not broken the aw.net TOS, which is what counts, and this TOS are the rules for forum here at aw.net, not "outside" world.

ACK does not have any special status here, we have moderated Adam as well in the past.
Criticism against ACK is ok as long as you keep it on a civilized and polite level, personal assaults against Adam is, like with every other member, not tolerated.

Complaints and demands from consumers against dealers is not something we handle, that is a matter for consumer organisations (or what ever authorities there is in Your country for consumer rights) .

Last edited by tomazkid on 10-Aug-2007 at 01:31 AM.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 3:42:40
#47 ]

@tomazkid

Quote:
As it is, ACK has not broken the aw.net TOS, which is what counts, and this TOS are the rules for forum here at aw.net, not "outside" world.

Since this seems to be such a huge thing that has been going on for a while maybe the staff at Amigaworld.net might give us some insight in an instance where they might not normally interfere.

I guess what I mean is, it sounds like people are saying (not me but this is what I think I am hearing) that they were solicited on this web site by a "member" to have a service performed for a fee. Sent their boards and even paid money only to have there merchandise never returned. Now it sound like, if I am reading things right, that the money and boards have been missing for years? Some would say that is fraud and stealing and I think maybe that is part of the concern.

So now it seems to also be that the above said "member" is still soliciting to other on this board to have them send their hardware to him?

So the openness I think I am asking from the staff is this, Have people from this site made legitimate complaints about "stolen" boards and/or "money"? And if so is the member still being allowed to post asking people to send more hardware to him for service? I haven't reviewed the TOS recently, but it seems if the information were true you would want to protect your members from potential further fraud. So I'll assume for now you have not had any complaints, but it would be nice to hear some information from the staff to quite this down a bit.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited by AmigaHeretic on 10-Aug-2007 at 03:43 AM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 7:33:24
#48 ]
Team Member

@AmigaHeretic

One question would be is ACK a paying sponsor as it affects whether the TOS section applies or not to the poster. From the TOS:

Quote:
Advertising in forums and news items: Paying sponsors and banner advertisers need not read this section.
AmigaWorld.net provides a classified advertising module which is the only place other than paid for advertising banners that adverts are permitted in. This includes promoting goods and services, links to online auctions or advertising in signatures or through avatars. If in doubt, write a classified advertisment. Press releases are considered under a different category we accept that companies have a need to propogate news and information. If you consider it newsworthy then submit it as a news item. Our moderation team will either publish it or not depending on their judgement as to its newsworthiness and let you know why they did not publish you if they decide against it. If you are directed that an item is not newsworthy, you will be instructed to either place it on the forums or in the classifieds advertisments

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Aug-2007 at 07:38 AM.

Amiga 1200

Rudei 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 8:00:21
#49 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Thank you for the clarification. I think you could be right, I probably do mis-understand your writing style as it has happened on more than one occasion. I shall be mindful of that going forward.

Rude!

Moxee 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 8:17:22
#50 ]
Team Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

He dosen't need to fix anything at this point if not done already for Kneedeep and Ivan. He merely needs to ship the equipment back.

Are you setting policy or quoting Kneedeep and Ivan?

At first thought that is my opinion also, but in the end it is not our decision to make. This decision is that of the board owner only.

I thought I read that to one of them this did not matter. Or am I losing my mind?

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Seer 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 12:07:06
#51 ]
Team Member

@fairlanefastback

Can you point to a post or message where ACK himself is advertising of offering his services ?

tomazkid 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 12:27:33
#52 ]
Team Member

@Everyone

We need to draw the line somewhere, we can not go and act Internet police outside aw.net.
It is most unfortunate when things like this happens, people send computers to repairs and does not receive them back, but that is something to be settled between the customer and the dealer and if no agreement is reached, then it is time to complain to consumer organizations.

Jupp3 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 13:16:19
#53 ]

@ChrisH

Quote:
Any delivery should take under 1 week, even to the other side of the world, if posted by the correct method. ACK should be very well aware of the correct way to post something.

In any case, it should be the shipping date (which should be visible on the package) + "normal" time one might assume to reach the customer. Assuming everything was done right (correct address etc.), of course.

At least in Finland, post services generally suck real bad. 3 times I have made address change, and out of those attempts it worked 0 times. In all 3 cases, in post office they claimed that everything is right, and in all 3 cases only AFTER calling pay-per-minute service line, they finally admitted that the address hadn't indeed been updated at all.

Also one time it wasn't even free. They forwarded the bill to my old address, of course. And becouse it didn't work at all, I just ignored it. And in the end they seemed to ignore me not paying aswell

Also one time they forwarded the confirmation of address change (which they failed to do) to my old address

In all 3 cases I have had at least one package returned to sender ("wrong address") one of which went back to the US, some mail redirected to my old ("still official") address etc.

Anyway, it's clear that the post office isn't behind the delays in this case. Just wanted to share a (sort of) related " good example of bad experience" with post

Once I received a really late package with a "Missent to Iran" sticker on it.

Last edited by Jupp3 on 10-Aug-2007 at 01:19 PM.

jtsiren 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 14:09:42
#54 ]
Cult Member

@tomazkid

Quote:
We need to draw the line somewhere, we can not go and act Internet police outside aw.net.

Agreed that we need to draw line somewhere and this is not about taking law into our own hands, but at the same time there is this famous quote:

Quote:
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

The Amiga community has IMHO been washing its hands clean from the crap that has been sweped upon it for far too long. The stand taken here about various issues of late in my opinion is both admirable and for the good of the community. Some disagree for sure, but that is how I see it.

Maybe more of a difference could have been made if a bigger stand was taken with AmigaOne issues as well back in the day (instead of the bickering on many sides that lead to only bipartisanship instead of tangible change). I think the ACK thread have made a difference in informing people as well as applying pressure that, some argue, even resulted in that one machine getting returned to its owner fixed.

So what should AW.net as an organization do? I don't claim to know. We all need to perhaps discuss this more to find some solutions, I'm not big on "ban this and that". But I do think washing hands and just side-stepping the issue is not right either. Perhaps you admins can discuss this as well, AW.net certainly could take some action to protect its membership from misbehaving companies if it wanted to.

This isn't only about ACK of course. It is just that they have been making the most daring announcements lately. We have other legitimate issues in this community that we can and should discuss to both clean the air and possibly apply pressure to change things for the better.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 16:27:40
#55 ]
Team Member

@Moxee

Quote:

Moxee wrote:
@fairlanefastback

At first thought that is my opinion also, but in the end it is not our decision to make. This decision is that of the board owner only.

Yep whatever they want is what matters. I was replying to someone making the decision for the owners that they can just wait until the boards are fixed, no matter the timeframe needed, without communication, solely at the discretion of ACK. My comment back to that specific one was one of practicality. There is no dispute as far as I can tell that the equipment is wrongfully held at this point. And that the bottom line is that unless the firm comes to some sort of understanding with the owners this is the only bottom line thing it needs to do at this point. Whatever the owners want is all that matters of course, if they come to new understandings with ACK through new positive communications that would be awesome.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Aug-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Aug-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Aug-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Aug-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 17:59:39
#56 ]
Team Member

@tomazkid

Quote:

tomazkid wrote:
@Everyone

It is most unfortunate when things like this happens, people send computers to repairs and does not receive them back, but that is something to be settled between the customer and the dealer and if no agreement is reached, then it is time to complain to consumer organizations.

I'm not sure that I saw any post that asked Aw.net to do anything outside of AW.net. You say "we need to draw the line somewhere". This seems to imply Aw.net has done something, but will go no futher than a certain point. To that I ask, what has Aw.net done at all for its fellow community members in this case? Perhaps it views allowing these threads as an action? Other than that what has it done, within the scope of its own site for our brothers? I am not bringing this up to accuse the board of anything but I do find the wording in your post curious because I do not see any active actions at all on the part of the board itself. There is the passive action of allowing the threads, but that I would suspect is because they did not violate TOS rather than as any show of support to those who are out their equipment.

Nor am I saying the board has to do anything for these comunity members, but again your post seems to imply you've done something but can go no further. Some have asked for a ban. I am not one of those people to date. But I would suggest the board could do some things to try to help. Perhaps things that do not cross the line you speak of, which again I don't see anyone having asked you guys to cross over that threshold anyway.

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 18:03:30
#57 ]
Team Member

@Jupp3

Ouch! on your postal service experiences in Finland. :(

I think again thats the beauty of tracking numbers. At least then the recieving parties know it definately was handed off to the postal service or private carrier. :)

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 18:12:58
#58 ]
Team Member

@Seer

Quote:

Seer wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Can you point to a post or message where ACK himself is advertising of offering his services ?

Offering his services. I read this as such (link below). But I will point out I was responding to AmigaHeretic to illustrate ACK the firm may actually be allowed to for all we know since we don't know if it has paying sponsor status or not. I know BBRV has been warned for linking to his nearly illegible (IMHO) blog at times as a form of advertising, to me this definately was a much more specific attempt at arranging service related business for a transaction for ACK here. But thats why we have you mods, thats your call:

http://tinyurl.com/2c8tsn

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Aug-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Aug-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Aug-2007 at 06:16 PM.

Amiga 1200

Canfod 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 18:44:30
#59 ]

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@Jupp3

I think again thats the beauty of tracking numbers. At least then the recieving parties know it definately was handed off to the postal service or private carrier. :)

Since tracking numbers have been mentioned in all this Ack controversy, mostly by you, I just thought I'd mention that tracking numbers aren't available for EVERY shipping service. If Ack was to use one of the courier companies, then yes, tracking numbers would be a given, but if he used the postal service, depending on which level of service, and the destination country, tracking numbers, may, or may not be available. For instance, I somewhat recently discovered that all levels of service WITHIN Canada now receive tracking numbers, but I'm quite sure that Regular mail service to the US, and definitely to other countries DOES NOT receive a tracking number. For that, you have to pay a considerably higher cost for a higher level of service. Basically, as Jupp3 points out, the postal service in various countries is not created equally.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 10-Aug-2007 19:05:20
#60 ]
Team Member

@Canfod

Quote:

Canfod wrote:
@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@Jupp3

Since tracking numbers have been mentioned in all this Ack controversy, mostly by you, I just thought I'd mention that tracking numbers aren't available for EVERY shipping service. If Ack was to use one of the courier companies, then yes, tracking numbers would be a given, but if he used the postal service, depending on which level of service, and the destination country, tracking numbers, may, or may not be available. For instance, I somewhat recently discovered that all levels of service WITHIN Canada now receive tracking numbers, but I'm quite sure that Regular mail service to the US, and definitely to other countries DOES NOT receive a tracking number. For that, you have to pay a considerably higher cost for a higher level of service. Basically, as Jupp3 points out, the postal service in various countries is not created equally.

Lets bear in mind a couple of things. AmigaAbaitor got a tracking # from ACK and he is in the US with ACK in Canada. Kneedeep is also in the US. Also last we know there has been no updated communication to Kneedeep or Ivan. I'm not sure where Ivan lives. But at the least there would be nothing stopping there being the ability for ACK to send to Kneedeep via a service that provides a tracking # just as was done in the first board shipment to AmigaAbaitor in the same country.

EDIT: Based on where Ivan's personal homepage is hosted as listed in his profile it would appear likely he is, like Adam, a Canadian, in which case its not a shipment to another country it would seem. Now its always possible that there were different shipping methods used for the three items, but none are going far it would appear so it seems extremely unlikely that only one would have been recieved by now, tracking numbers or not.

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Aug-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Aug-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Aug-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Aug-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 10-Aug-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Amiga 1200

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle