Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 76 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 K-L:  18 mins ago
 pixie:  21 mins ago
 zipper:  28 mins ago
 Marcian:  33 mins ago
 amigakit:  56 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 cip060:  3 hrs 36 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  The Classic PPC OS4 Installation Thread
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
Crumb 
Re: The Classic PPC OS4 Installation Thread
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 16:32:34
#101 ]
Elite Member

@stevieu

Have you tried playing videos with OS4 AMP2? It may give better results than DvPlayer.

You could try to use a 16bit screenmode instead of a 24bit one. I don't know how much ram the 24bit screenmode will eat, but that's between 3.7MB and 5MB (I don't know if the driver uses 3bytes -that's slow- or 4bytes -that's faster but eats more ram- per pixel)... probably too much for the old Permedia2 if you add window textures and other stuff. Using a 16bit screenmode you will only eat 2.5MB so you'll have plenty of gfx memory available for textures and other stuff. You'll also gain more bandwitch to the gfx memory.

If you open the drawer Prefs/Presets you'll find simple skins like the ones used in OS3.x that will eat less ram.

Your MPEGs are being played from IDE HD or from SCSI HD or ram disk? Perhaps you could try to use bigger HD blocks (2KB or 4KB would be sensible values), add more buffers (that's vital if you use big partitions) and use SFS instead of FFS.

Profile     Report this post  
Tomppeli 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 16:51:34
#102 ]

Has any Classic users tested any demos yet how they perform on OS4 like f.ex. TBL StarStruck or do they work at all ?

stevieu 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 17:09:54
#103 ]
Cult Member

@Crumb

Hello Crumb I haven't yet, no. BUT, it is the same problem as I had with AMP playing videos under P96 on OS3.9. Laggy video and stuttering sound. In comparison, I was using a 24bit screenmode with CyberGraphX and my BVision (overlay was disabled) and it played absolutely fine (in window and full-screen mode).

I know this isn't exactly tied to OS4, but it seems a bit strange, as it comes from either P96 or Voodoo drivers, I assume. I was using known-to-work Elbox drivers under OS3.9, so am just trying to tie things together.

All in all: I had CyberGraphX and a BVision setup with OS3.9 - everything was smoooooth. Menus were like lightning, as was everything else, it seemed. Unless I've been smoking something dodgy haha.

I installed P96 on my Mediator/Voodoo3-3000 OS3.9 setup and I noticed the difference between the two... lagging menus, opening of windows, refreshing icons, resizing, playing videos under P96. All the settings seemed to mirror those of CyberGraphX and now I'm experiencing those slow-downs in OS4, also. Unless I'm going mad that is... but I know things could and have been more responsive.

Steve

Last edited by stevieu on 10-Dec-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Last edited by stevieu on 10-Dec-2007 at 05:12 PM.

A1200 - OS3.1: Blizzard IV 030, 64mb ram, 400mb HDD

OS4.x - Flying the AMIGA flag

TiredofLife 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 17:47:05
#104 ]

@Crumb

Didn't know that exisited, works very well.
Cheers.

Can't get DVplayer to show a picture although I do hear sound.
Will have to look into it as I liked Stephen Fellners work under 3.9 and was expecting good things under 4.0.

Amigaz 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 18:26:31
#105 ]

HAHA!

Found my A4000 install problem...it was the Z3 Fastlane so we can now say it's incompatible...guess I have to let Hyperion/Acube know about it?

A1200 '030@50mhz
A500+ '030@40mhz

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 19:09:27
#106 ]
Elite Member

@TiredofLife

Well you need to turn off overlay, think you find that option in the menu.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 19:45:02
#107 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Already tried that, no joy.

stevieu 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 20:07:14
#108 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

Cheers. I have simplified the menus, and things do appear quicker now. Window moving/resizing seems to be quicker right now, too. Unless I'm having random problems.

Still having problems playing basic MPEG streams though (full screen or in window mode, regardless of sound quality selected). Stuttering sound and jumping images. I had no problem with AMP for OS3.9 (I could scroll constantly through menus while an MPEG stream was playing and it would be fine. It stutters with no further activity now. *thinks*

Will be great to get that bug sorted. I can have a proper fiddle around then

Steve

Wol 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 21:08:42
#109 ]

@stevieu

Have you tried using Cybergrafx with OS4 ?

maybe worth a try ??

Wol..

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 23:21:15
#110 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Amigaz

Quote:
Do I have to register somehow to obtain that hotfix?

Hyperion Homepage

The Classic version should come with a serial number for that purpose.

Rogue 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 23:28:43
#111 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@stevieu

Quote:
I installed P96 on my Mediator/Voodoo3-3000 OS3.9 setup and I noticed the difference between the two...

I can't say I have ever noticed Picasso96 to be slower than CyberGraphX. It might be the A1200, but I always found that Picasso96 was the same speed.

What might be is that CyberGraphX configures the Voodoo a bit more agressive, i.e. with higher memory/core clock etc.

stevieu 
Posted on 10-Dec-2007 23:46:21
#112 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

It 's quite strange... I used my BVision with CyberGraphX and my Voodoo3 with P96, but comparing the two, the BVision/CyberGraphX combination won hands down. (OS3.9). Unless I had been using the incorrect Voodoo drivers, but I don't think so.

The Voodoo/P96 combination seemed generally more sluggish (opening windows, displaying icons, opening more complex menus - generally felt a bit flakey), whereas the BVision/CGFX, felt fluid. I don't know. Maybe I'm stuck in my ways

I have no idea what is slowing down video playback in OS4 though, considering I played the same videos fine under OS3.9 with the same application at the same resolution, etc. The only difference being, it was under CyberGraphX and using the BVision. Drivers, maybe?

AmiDog 
Posted on 11-Dec-2007 6:55:47
#113 ]
Cult Member

@stevieu

Not that I own a Mediator, but I would guess that the performance difference has nothing to do with P96 or CGFX, but all to do with the bus you have the gfx board attached to. And as it seems from your experience, accessing the BVision is faster than accessing the Voodoo through the Mediator.

Amigaz 
Posted on 11-Dec-2007 7:49:58
#114 ]

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Amigaz

Quote:
Do I have to register somehow to obtain that hotfix?

Hyperion Homepage

The Classic version should come with a serial number for that purpose.

Just regged it for my A1200, my eyes didn't notice the serial no. on the paper sleeve

A1200 '030@50mhz
A500+ '030@40mhz

Rogue 
Posted on 11-Dec-2007 10:17:40
#115 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@stevieu

Quote:
The Voodoo/P96 combination seemed generally more sluggish (opening windows, displaying icons, opening more complex menus - generally felt a bit flakey), whereas the BVision/CGFX, felt fluid. I don't know. Maybe I'm stuck in my ways

You shouldn't compare this. The Voodoo/Mediator combination isn't using a linear framebuffer. There is always the window switching involved, which goes via an exception handler. The BVision doesn't need that, plus it is connected directly to the BlizzardPPC, with a MUCH faster bus.

Spirantho 
Posted on 11-Dec-2007 10:21:07
#116 ]

AmigaOS 4... is installed! Mostly!

Of course I had a nightmare getting it to work and even at the moment it doesn't boot correctly. However, the usual weak link in the chain was what was at play here - i.e. the user. Clever old me forgot completely that trying to boot off a partition outside the initial 2Gig is not a good idea... so I reckon it'll be fine.

However, the one problem I am having is complete lock-ups. I have on my CS-PPC:

Active Terminator -> CS-PPC -> Fujitsu UWSCSI -> Micropolis UWSCSI (Term + TermPower)

Installing OS 4 the first time got to 60% copying files - solid lock up. Second attempt, got to about 40%. Solid lock-up. Remove one of the CD-ROM drives off the 4000's IDE bus, still locked up. Removed the heatsink on my PPC - there's no thermal paste!!! - apply Artic Silver 5, try again. Lock up. Removed Micropolis - it installed! Re-attach Micropolis, still boots (though I have to boot off the floppy - but that's because I'm dumb and used the wrong partition). Copy files to partition in the first 2Gig, complete lock-up - even though it's not using the Micropolis.

Now, I've been using this set-up for years without a problem. No lock-ups or anything. Is there any reason why this should be happening? It just seems to be HD access that's doing it, but removing the Micropolis does seem to help. I need to check more thoroughly though.

Anyway, that's my experiences, but I don't think they're OS 4 problems really, probably something not 100% right which OS3.9 could tolerate.

The real purpose of this is to utterly commend Hyperion on what they've done. My Amiga is far from standard - and yet it booted and installed beautifully using my Prometheus PCI Voodoo III. Getting an installer that can take an odd system like this and install a working copy of the OS is no mean feat and my hat's off to the Hyperion guys for getting such a well written installer working.

Oh - one little thing - the # key doesn't work - that should be tidied up (luckily I saw the post earlier about this).
Another tiny point - creating an internet connection listed lots of SANA-II devices, including RTL-8029.device. I tried to use that and it didn't work. However, clicking on the filename I found RTL8029.device (no hyphen) in the DEVS:Networks/, which the installer had correctly copied. It was just a bit silly having all those devices listed and not the one that the installer had actually copied.

And incidentally why can't it read my PFS hard disk partitions? The FS is on the RDB because OS 3.9 can boot and use them fine. They just come up as unreadable.

First impressions - it's fast! Window dragging delays somewhat but then I'm used to an 800MHz G4!

I also tried PC-Task (I'm a masochist) and it worked!! Anyone who's tried this on an AmigaOne knows that it summons the Grim Reaper PDQ on an A1, but it worked first time! This bodes well for compatibility....

Now I just want to go home and play some more...!

Rogue 
Posted on 11-Dec-2007 10:36:03
#117 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Spirantho

Quote:
Active Terminator -> CS-PPC -> Fujitsu UWSCSI -> Micropolis UWSCSI (Term + TermPower)

I'm not the SCSI expert, but I was under the impression that you should not rely on the termination of devices but rather use an active terminator on both ends instead.

Quote:
My Amiga is far from standard

That was one of the major issues with the Classic version - there are so many different setups, it really gave me headaches to come up with a CD that works on a sufficiently large setup. Also, we didn't want to require a pre-installed system, this CD was supposed to be booted stand-alone, with a blank, unformatted harddisk.

Quote:
Another tiny point - creating an internet connection listed lots of SANA-II devices, including RTL-8029.device. I tried to use that and it didn't work. However, clicking on the filename I found RTL8029.device (no hyphen) in the DEVS:Networks/, which the installer had correctly copied. It was just a bit silly having all those devices listed and not the one that the installer had actually copied.

Yeah, the problem with the rtl8029 was that it was a last minute addition.

Quote:
Now I just want to go home and play some more...!

Glad you like it

Spirantho 
Posted on 11-Dec-2007 10:52:53
#118 ]

@Rogue

Incidentally, while you're here... :)

My Prometheus doesn't have the DMA upgraded flashROM, as I didn't see the point given OS4 can't DMA from PCI to main memory anyway. I presume I'm right in thinking that I'd need to get it reflashed if I wanted to DMA to graphics memory, let's say... ooh, maybe a TV card? :)

Is that correct? No DMA->GFX memory without reflashing the Prometheus?

Thanks again for some great work!

Crumb 
Posted on 11-Dec-2007 12:16:26
#119 ]
Elite Member

@Spirantho

DMA does not work on Prometheus. It's not OS4 the one who can't do DMA from PCI to main memory, it's the crap design from manofacturers that don't produce cards that do real DMA to motherboard.

To get DMA between PCI cards you will need Michael Boehmer's update, that unfortunately won't be released until Deneb is released.

I simply can't understand why people prefer to use hacky 68k drivers instead of native PPC ones that work faster and with less bugs.

Crumb 
Posted on 11-Dec-2007 12:25:30
#120 ]
Elite Member

@stevieu

It's not strange. BlizzardVision has a fast bus that could transfer 20MB/s without problems but Mediator is much slower than that. Since playing videos involves using the full bus bandwitch a Mediator will always be slower than a BlizzardVision, no matter if you use CGX or P96, it's a simple copy operation.

Set the memory window of your mediator to 8MB and use the native OS4 drivers.

If Elbox had released a 060/PPC accelerator with PCI instead of selling add-ons that can't do real DMA and that just have a slow PCI bus you would have smooth video playback.

With Voodoo3+RTL8029 you will solve most of your problems. But videos won't play smooth due to the slow mediator bus.

You could use overlay with YUV modes to gain some speed, but it won't do miracles.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle