Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 154 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  7 mins ago
 Matt3k:  14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  25 mins ago
 amigakit:  53 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc v. Hyperion VOF (update 22 Feb 2008)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 Next Page )
PosterThread
Plaz 
Re: Amiga Inc v. Hyperion VOF (update 31 Jan 2008)
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 12:25:01
#841 ]

@Leo

Quote:

The OS should have been *opened* to any hardware since the begining... If the contract restricts the OS to certain partner this is completly stupid...

But after all I guess that's what the Amiga has always been about... Personnal interests... And that's why it's no more despite the fact it was for some time better than everything else...

Totally agree. What a different place it would be and what a pile of money AI could have made if they hadn't tried to restrict hardware. Then all we would spend our time discussing is wether AOS runs better on this hardware or that.

Plaz

Profile     Report this post  
stew 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 13:17:34
#842 ]

@Dandy

Quote:
How serious am I supposed to take people that can't distinguish between "suing his employer" and "asking the involved parties for a clear statement of ownership/copyright which is legally binding"?

I have never had to go to court to get my finance co. to give me a clear statement of ownership. How can we take someone serious that does not understand that this is totaly not necessary. Hyperion can give that binding statement without being included in the suit, so for some reason Hyperion is being sued by former developers.

samface 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 15:34:09
#843 ]

@Dandy

Quote:

Dandy wrote:
@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
@Lou

The pre-releases (atleast the early ones) didn't even come close in matching what was outlined in the contract, therefore they can't be "the release" starting the deadlines.

Hyperion decided NOT to call them (proper) releases, and NOT to inform AInc that they thought the deadline has started, either because they didn't consider it ready, or because they didn't want fullfill other obligations tied to OS4 being "released".

The whole "OS4 was released in 2004" is just a rather flimpsy atempt at rewriting history, and it's gonna need more then one stupid judge to make it work.

Document #26, attachment #4, page 14 of 15

Yep, as proof of Kronos claims*, the announcement you linked to says "Developer Pre-Release". Hyperion wasn't contracted to do a developer version nor a pre-release. The "pre" part in "pre-release" is a clear indication that's it's NOT a proper release.

* = I can't believe I'm standing up for one of Kronos claims.

MINDRELEASE.net - The Non-Commercial Network of Digital Arts.

Samworks D & C - Professional Web Development (in Swedish)

samface 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 15:52:14
#844 ]

@stew

Quote:

stew wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:
How serious am I supposed to take people that can't distinguish between "suing his employer" and "asking the involved parties for a clear statement of ownership/copyright which is legally binding"?

I have never had to go to court to get my finance co. to give me a clear statement of ownership. How can we take someone serious that does not understand that this is totaly not necessary. Hyperion can give that binding statement without being included in the suit, so for some reason Hyperion is being sued by former developers.

How many times did the company you work for get involved in a lawsuit over the ownership to your work? C'mon, this isn't exactly a part of their every day routine either. I'm more inclined to interpret this as they are not so sure that Hyperion is going to win anymore and therefore tries to have as little ownership assigned to Hyperion as possible for damage control and leverage for negotiating future AmigaOS developments.

Kronos 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 15:52:29
#845 ]
Elite Member

@samface

Quote:

samface wrote:

Ask me how I feel about it

wolfe 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 16:11:12
#846 ]

@Leo

Quote:

The OS should have been *opened* to any hardware since the begining... If the contract restricts the OS to certain partner this is completly stupid...

Yes, very true BUT all parties agreed to it and signed the contract. Now we are crying over spilt milk. What's done is done, and all parties involved are to blame for this fiasco . . .

We really need new leadership all the way around . . .

samface 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 16:28:30
#847 ]

@Leo

Quote:

Leo wrote:
Quote:

There's been other speculation that if Hyperion gets to keep their license, that they would be able to partner with a new A1 maker. I'm sure that if KMOS were to loose, Hyperion making A1 boards would be part of the next lawsuit that KMOS would file.

I'm sorry, but what's that nonsense ?!

The thing is, the rights granted from the license agreement was not assigned to Hyperion to begin with, it was assigned to Hyperion and Eyetech collectively, refered to as "the AmigaOne partners". It was Hyperions own managing partner who drafted the contract, it was Hyperion themselves who decided to team up with Eyetech to make the next generation Amiga computers. So, the contract wasn't just restricted to the AmigaOne, it was done so on Hyperion's own initiative. Amiga Inc. had no right to disregard Eyetech's contractual rights and simply grant Hyperion the right to develop for any hardware they like, yet they were the ones Hyperion and everyone seemed to blame.

Quote:
But after all I guess that's what the Amiga has always been about... Personnal interests... And that's why it's no more despite the fact it was for some time better than everything else...

Yes, personal interests are a significant factor here, I'm just no so sure we agree on the implications nor what the personal interests were.

samface 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 16:31:57
#848 ]

@Kronos

Quote:

Kronos wrote:
@samface

Quote:

samface wrote:

Ask me how I feel about it

How DO you feel about it? :P

Tigger 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 16:43:13
#849 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:

Quote:

Go read Annex I and Annex II of the 2001 contract, Olaf is listed all through it.

Yes - when it comes to his work on the 3.1 sources and the CVS - but I was asking if he really did actively work on OS4.0 and meant by that if he was coding natively for it - that's what I understand a "Developer" is for.

Annex I says he's going to be responsible for the TCP/IP and the Fastfile system rewrite, you search for Olaf and OS 4.0 and you find 100's of hits. Or we could look at this interview

Interview with Olaf on 4.0

Quote:

Can you provide a link to those mails?

Document 35 Exhibit L

Quote:

Quote:

Tigger wrote:

Olaf said he would have been better off flipping burgers then working on OS4,

As hei did not work on OS4 (AFAIK), this statement seems to be correct...

Again you would rather keep a false belief (even after being told its a false belief) then spend 30 seconds on Google, that seems to be a constant trend with you.

Quote:

Quote:

Tigger wrote:
As for what Rogue said, I cant take seriously anyone who issuing his employer to maintain rights on there software and then tell us its business as usual. How often have you sued you employer as part of business as usual?

By filing a lawsuit (as they have done) they have sued Hyperion by definition, its hard to take someone seriously that doesnt understand the basic definitions. In addition, if all they wanted was a clear statement from Hyperion, they could have just asked Hyperion to sign such a document, since that didnt occur, there must be a disagreement about what they want, thats the only reason to go to court over it.
-Tig

Tigger 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 16:45:00
#850 ]
Elite Member

@Plaz

Quote:

Plaz wrote:

Totally agree. What a different place it would be and what a pile of money AI could have made if they hadn't tried to restrict hardware. Then all we would spend our time discussing is wether AOS runs better on this hardware or that.

First of all its Eyetech that restricted the hardware, so blaming AI for it is silly.
-Tig

Plaz 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 17:23:51
#851 ]

@Tigger

Quote:
First of all its Eyetech that restricted the hardware, so blaming AI for it is silly.
-Tig

Then since the demise of Eyetech, what has hindered the port of AOS to any other hardware? AI claims to own and be responsible for all things AOS, so I blame them as the responsible party. Innocent victim they are not.

Plaz

samface 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 17:42:54
#852 ]

@Plaz

Quote:

Plaz wrote:

Then since the demise of Eyetech, what has hindered the port of AOS to any other hardware?

Since Hyperion's obligation to develop for the classic Amiga hardware wasn't honored until November last year, I guess that's what they've been busy doing. Now that they are finally done developing support for the hardware they had an obligation to develop for, the natural thing to do would of course be to expand the hardware options further and this seems to be the ambition for all parties involved, Amiga Inc. as well as Hyperion. However, the issues of who is going to do it and under which licensing terms will have to be sorted out first.

Quote:
AI claims to own and be responsible for all things AOS, so I blame them as the responsible party. Innocent victim they are not.

Mind you, Hyperion is claiming to own and be responsible for all things AmigaOS too.

Tigger 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 20:48:34
#853 ]
Elite Member

@Plaz

Quote:

Plaz wrote:
@Tigger

Quote:
-Tig

Then since the demise of Eyetech, what has hindered the port of AOS to any other hardware? AI claims to own and be responsible for all things AOS, so I blame them as the responsible party. Innocent victim they are not.

Since Eyetechs demise was after April 23, 2003, I would have to say what has hindered a port to other hardware the most is that the owner of the OS doesnt have the source code because it hasnt been delivered to them.
-Tig

Plaz 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 21:43:54
#854 ]

@samface

Quote:
Mind you, Hyperion is claiming to own and be responsible for all things AmigaOS too

Good point. But they have to prove it first. So in my mind by default it's still Kmos/AI.

Plaz

Plaz 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 21:57:23
#855 ]

@Tigger

Quote:
the most is that the owner of the OS doesnt have the source code because it hasnt been delivered to them.

I still say that's their own fault. They read and signed a joke of a contract while not securing regular access to the source code as it was being written. CVS access even. I'm not passing judgement on either side as far as the out come of the lawsuit is concerned. It's far too much of a mess and I know zip about the law involved. However I can spot a badly run business 10,000 miles away.

Plaz

Tigger 
Posted on 5-Mar-2008 23:01:51
#856 ]
Elite Member

@Plaz

Quote:

Plaz wrote:
However I can spot a badly run business 10,000 miles away.

You say that, and yet your a fan of Evert, doesnt make sense to me.
-Tig

Plaz 
Posted on 6-Mar-2008 0:42:39
#857 ]

@Tigger

Quote:
You say that, and yet your a fan of Evert, doesnt make sense to me.

Please don't stoop to such naive comments. Calling me a fan of either side based on any thing I've ever posted on AW.net is like me saying you're fanboy of Bill Gates based on your postings.

Amiga Inc made bad decisions and bad deals. Hyperion is trying to take advantage of their mistakes while making some of their own, and it might backfire on them. And Eyetech.... they're just not around for me to kick I guess.

I have been voicing more critisism of AI than Hyperion as AOS was their's and their's to lose and abuse. It should have never come to this state. Now that it has, Hyperion is making a play to grab the goods. No big suprise. Is Hyperion's attempt to claim AOS a cleaver move or a unscruplious act? I'll let the business and law wizards decide that. For my part, I just say that AI allowed this mess to exsist and fester in the first place. AI brought Hyperion in, now they have to clean up the mess.

Plaz

umisef 
Posted on 6-Mar-2008 1:18:55
#858 ]

@Plaz

Quote:
Is Hyperion's attempt to claim AOS a cleaver move or a unscruplious act?

Who says the two are mutually exclusive? I submit that more often than not, unscrupulous acts are clever moves from a business perspective :)

(Oh, and was that Freudian?)

syrtran 
Posted on 6-Mar-2008 2:55:30
#859 ]
Cult Member

@umisef

Quote:

umisef wrote:
@Plaz

Quote:
Is Hyperion's attempt to claim AOS a cleaver move or a unscruplious act?

Who says the two are mutually exclusive? I submit that more often than not, unscrupulous acts are clever moves from a business perspective :)

(Oh, and was that Freudian?)

Well, the most clever move so far, for me, is Bill Kinsel's using the perpetual license clause as proof that Hyperion owns the copyrights.

People who generalize are always wrong.

1989 - 500 / 1991 - 3000 / 1997 - Genesis Flyer 1200T / 2003 - A1XE

umisef 
Posted on 6-Mar-2008 3:42:24
#860 ]

@syrtran

Quote:
Well, the most clever move so far, for me, is Bill Kinsel's using the perpetual license clause as proof that Hyperion owns the copyrights.

If it comes off, more power to him. However, it strikes me as a tad obvious :)

What I really appreciated was his "Itec Contract" reuse, where he made a case as to why the Amiga-Itec contract (referred to as "Itec Contract") should be ruled fraudulent and reversed, and then went on to say that consequently Itec had no claims whatsoever over AmigaOS, because those purely resulted from the "Itec Contract" (now suddenly referring to the Itec-Hyperion contract). That one looked as if it was actually carefully set up over a couple of submissions, and the punchline was nice and subtle...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle