Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 71 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AmigaMac:  22 mins ago
 JimS:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 Hans:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 49 mins ago
 A1200:  3 hrs 50 mins ago
 Kremlar:  4 hrs 10 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 18 mins ago
 kolla:  4 hrs 53 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  6 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  MAP == A-Eon.com? Part 2
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
PosterThread
graincloud 
Re: MAP == A-Eon.com? Part 2
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:01:58
#341 ]

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:
@graincloud

Quote:
the very first tree? in the bible that would probably be the apple (??) tree

there are no hint, actually, in what the original fruit was. The bible never tell that was an apple.

well most of the hints refer to greek mythology anyway, so that would be a better place to look at, i guess.

somehow the olive tree springs into my mind..
though i don't have a clue of what to associate with that (technology-wise, or business-wise)

Profile     Report this post  
RodTerl 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:02:52
#342 ]
Cult Member

What was thought lost, and is to rise from the dead (Lazarus)

Video Toaster depends on Amiga Chipset.

Video toaster is real time SD NTSC TV graphic s handling.

Maybe..

The New High end Amiga is a Sub $10 Thousand multi realtime HDTV 3D editing core.

Actually, given Radeon HD card processing etc.. Id expect it to be able to pixel level alpha blend and manipulate at Least Two IMAX 3D streams in real time.

What, a BILLION Pixels a second not fast enough to do the job?

The Radeon HD4850 can do SIX Billion a second. (From what I remember?)

How much is the competitors?.. $100 Thousand plus?

Looks Like Amigas done the same again, 25 years on?

8)

graincloud 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:04:14
#343 ]

@Cool_amigaN

thanks for the clarification!

and what about the book of law? do you have any clue what that refers to in greek technology?

CodeSmith 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:04:35
#344 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Well, the theory fits what we know so far

RISC designs like PowerPC tend to have fewer transistors than CISC designs like 68K. I must admit that without a very expensive FPGA the clock speed won't be all that great, but one can compensate by adding more cores.

DBAlex 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:06:12
#345 ]
Cult Member

@Zardoz

Quote:
@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
It's not Dual Core... The in page comments just said so.

Rogue said 8 processes at 25% load each. That means either dual core or two instruction threads.

Yup, the Atom in my Netbook is Single Core, but shows as a Dual Core in Linux due to "Hyperthreading"...

Do any PPC chips have what Intel call "Hyperthreading"? (Multiple instruction threads going from Zardoz's post...)

Doobrey 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:09:13
#346 ]

@arnljot

Quote:

arnljot wrote:
Quote:

To follow, begin where Nemo entered into a rage.
Then add to that what the Phoenicians used to see,
The end was found, fricatively wound, in the branches of the very first tree.
My whole was born in a place where a Celtic river was by Saxons, crossed,
A new incarnation of a parallel, once thought lost.

Nemo can mean a grove of trees.

Code branches in repositories...

some code once thought lost? lol, nah surely we're talking hardware today?

Didn't Commodore lose the designs to the OCS ?
Or is that just an urban legend?

Thom_Holwerda 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:09:30
#347 ]

@graincloud

Okay, let's dive into this.

Quote:
To start, just look at the very first page

You pretty much got that obviously - "What is X?"

Quote:

Everybody has been focussing on Nemo meaning "nobody" in Ancient Greek (as used by Oddyseus), but the verb "nemo" (νεμω) in Ancient Greek also means "to manage" or "to control" (or similar meanings). I don't know about you, but this makes much more sense for a computer: a controller chip of some sort?

Quote:
Then add to that what the Phoenicians used to see

This is a difficult one, because those guys spread out all over the Mediterranean, so it could point to countless things. The, well, Mediterranean is an obvious choice, but what the heck does that have to do with computing, or νεμω?

Maybe something about their language? The Phoenician alphabet is the mother of the Greek one (and therefore, of ours). Then again, you hear a language - you don't see it. Unless they're referring to writing, of course.

Or, we should see it in a more general note. The Phoenicians exerted a great deal of influence on the entire Mediterranean, and the Greeks in particular, yet very few people seem to realise this - all the glory goes to the Greeks and the Romans.

Remind you of something? A certain product's history, perhaps?

Quote:

I haven't a frakking clue. Genesis seems a little too obvious, but could be a hit.

Quote:
My whole was born in a place where a Celtic river was by Saxons, crossed

Since A-eon is based in the UK, London seems about right.

Quote:

Others have already dived into this one.

Zardoz 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:12:54
#348 ]
Team Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:
RISC designs like PowerPC tend to have fewer transistors than CISC designs like 68K. I must admit that without a very expensive FPGA the clock speed won't be all that great, but one can compensate by adding more cores.

It's still a very complex design for an FPGA. The high-end Virtex chips for instance have real PPC cores on them for that reason.

Jamie_S 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:16:46
#349 ]
Cult Member

@mausle

Quote:
Where did the Saxons cross a river? Maybe in Bristol were once a company named Inmos was located. They were the leaders in transputer chips the lost concept of easily expendable parallelism? ciao

Just had a read about Transputers and Inmos. Interesting stuff. And Bristol was what I came up with as well (the name Bristol comes from old Saxon meaning 'settlement by the bridge').

Last edited by Jamie_S on 04-Jan-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:20:10
#350 ]

@Thom_Holwerda
Quote:

This is a difficult one, because those guys spread out all over the Mediterranean, so it could point to countless things. The, well, Mediterranean is an obvious choice, but what the heck does that have to do with computing, or νεμω?

Maybe something about their language? The Phoenician alphabet is the mother of the Greek one (and therefore, of ours). Then again, you hear a language - you don't see it. Unless they're referring to writing, of course.

Or, we should see it in a more general note. The Phoenicians exerted a great deal of influence on the entire Mediterranean, and the Greeks in particular, yet very few people seem to realise this - all the glory goes to the Greeks and the Romans.

Beware, that Phoenicians as a tribe/nation live between truth and myth. They were considered to live in the place where now part of Israel is. They though to be very capable sails men but they had no contact with mainland Greece only Cyprus and Crete. The problem with the Phoenicians is that there is not left any written book as a proof by their civilization. So, most of the beliefs regarding their alphabet derive from ancient Greek historians but without being able to confirm. The Alphabet used in Greece and Greeks from early A.C, is the Cypriot one! Greek letters are *slightly* different.

EDIT: If you take literally, what the Phoenicians used to see, is of course sea and Cyprus which was based exactly at the opposite of their land.

Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 04-Jan-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 04-Jan-2010 at 01:21 PM.

DAX 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:21:49
#351 ]
Elite Member

@Geennaam
Quote:
The Titan isn't really that high end. Ok, it's a dual or more core, but a 440 class core.

The Titan core it's not a 440 core but a new design that uses Intrinsity's Fast14 tech (which allows to get in 8 stages the level of performance other architectures achieve with 14 stages)+ L0 caches, DDR3 ram and other goodies!

More infos here: http://www.power.org/devcon/07/Session_Downloads/PADC07_Chang_AMCC_Titan_V0_2.pdf

Quote:
...and no altivec.

There seems to be an old abit of judging a PPC CPU by weather it has a Simd or not, but times have changed from early 2000 and a weak simd unit is what we might call "NOT high end" in 2010. Those kind of calculations are better left for faster custom chips that being a GPU through OpenCL, Cell's SPUs or maybe the almighty Xena custom chip!

With this I am not saying that the CPU will be an AMCC Titan, but if it is, remember that it would not be alone doing all the work.

The most exiting thing from these announcements is that we are not going to get simply a motherboard with dual core PPC and a PCI-E 16x bus (which would have been great in its own right and many thought it was impossible) but a complete Amiga Computer with custom chipset!!!

This is beyond my wildest expectations!!! (Tears of joy of course)

Zardoz 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:23:06
#352 ]
Team Member

@Jamie_S

Quote:
Just had a read about Transputers and Inmos. Interesting stuff. And Bristol was what I came up with as well (the name Bristol comes from old Saxon meaning 'settlement by the bridge').

The same people now have a chip called XMOS, quite a cool microcontroller, I played around with it a bit. Very interesting little chip, 4 cores, 8 threads and 64 I/Os each, event driven. You can even bit bang 100Mbps Ethernet with one of its cores. I can't see that having anything to do with it though.

Or....

Hmmmm.

I have not gone through the clues and stuff, better things to do with my time right now, but that kinda fits some of the stuff mentioned here, parallel, not an fpga, not necessarily multi core (they have an 8-thread single core version), programmable, has an X in it, the form of parallel thought to be lost (transputers are dead) and Bristol.

I'd like that, it's a cool gadget. I can't see how it'd help with anything on the desktop though. Maybe my imagination is not vivid enough.

Last edited by Zardoz on 04-Jan-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Last edited by Zardoz on 04-Jan-2010 at 01:28 PM.

graincloud 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:24:40
#353 ]

@Thom_Holwerda

Quote:

Thom_Holwerda wrote:
@graincloud

Okay, let's dive into this.

Quote:
To start, just look at the very first page

You pretty much got that obviously - "What is X?"

Quote:

Everybody has been focussing on Nemo meaning "nobody" in Ancient Greek (as used by Oddyseus), but the verb "nemo" (νεμω) in Ancient Greek also means "to manage" or "to control" (or similar meanings). I don't know about you, but this makes much more sense for a computer: a controller chip of some sort?

that does make sense. i have some old ancient greek dictionary lying around here from school times, and that is the meaning coming the closest. another one would be rg. to harvest on a meadow...

Quote:

Quote:

Remind you of something? A certain product's history, perhaps?

very interesting, but i got no further ideas on that one.

Quote:

Quote:

I haven't a frakking clue. Genesis seems a little too obvious, but could be a hit.

still it seems the olive tree maybe would be a good guess as well...

cheap sources (wikipedia):
The olive tree and olives are mentioned over 30 times in the Bible, in both the New and Old Testaments. It is one of the first plants mentioned in the Bible, and one of the most significant. For example, it was an olive leaf that a dove brought back to Noah to demonstrate that the flood was over. The Mount of Olives east of Jerusalem is mentioned several times. The Allegory of the Olive Tree in chapter 5 of the Book of Jacob in the Book of Mormon, refers to the scattering and gathering of Israel. It compares the Israelites and gentiles to tame and wild olive trees. The olive tree itself, as well as olive oil and olives, play an important role in the Bible.[10] The olive is praised in the Quran as a precious fruit.

In an archaic Athenian foundation myth, Athena won the patronship of Attica from Poseidon with the gift of the olive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive

is there any technology company with a reference in name or location to the olive tree?

Quote:

Quote:
My whole was born in a place where a Celtic river was by Saxons, crossed

Since A-eon is based in the UK, London seems about right.

Quote:

Others have already dived into this one.

whew, my head is starting to get dizzy!!

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:26:21
#354 ]
Elite Member

@Hondo

Cause the original or very first tree mentioned in the ridlle.

Last edited by AmigaBlitter on 04-Jan-2010 at 01:45 PM.

A3000T 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:26:33
#355 ]
Cult Member

@All

I think the CPU on this mainboard could be a Titan.
Titans were a type of giants from Greek myhology.
There are several references to characters from
Greek mythology and the programm to stress test it
is called 'giantkiller'.

Kind regards,

Dennis

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:33:11
#356 ]
Elite Member

@graincloud

There was the "book of the law" mentioned in the old testament.

Something to look in that age?

Alkaron 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:33:39
#357 ]

@All

TITAN is also a moon wich has a "satellite" called hyperion

"Titan is locked in a 3:4 orbital resonance with the small, irregularly shaped satellite Hyperion. A "slow and smooth" evolution of the resonance—in which Hyperion would have migrated from a chaotic orbit—is considered unlikely, based on models. Hyperion likely formed in a stable orbital island, while massive Titan absorbed or ejected bodies that made close approaches.[17]"

from wikipedia

elcabron 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:34:46
#358 ]

Quote:
No, it doesn't have the number of cores you are thinking of. Whatever number you are thinking of. At least, not necessarily.

Couldn't this mean there's a CPU daughterboard or some CPU options ?

Thom_Holwerda 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:38:48
#359 ]

@Alkaron

Quote:
TITAN is also a moon wich has a "satellite" called hyperion

Intriguing.

Xena is a dwarf planet in our solar system, officially known as Eris. Can't place Nemo in that context, though ;).

ddni 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 13:39:07
#360 ]
Cult Member

@thread

http://www.google.co.uk/

Its logo is an Apple tree for Isaac Newtons birthday.....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle