Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 163 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 amigagr:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  What's the goal?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Caveman 
Re: What's the goal?
Posted on 8-Jan-2010 6:13:28
#81 ]
Cult Member

@QuBe

We are truly on the same page here On PSN they sell plenty of PS1 games,plus those minis they released last year. They would not have sold those games on PSN,if it was'nt for a huge marked for both retro,and indie games. Those indie games is mostly made by tiny companies. This is something Amiga could do to. It's almost as the 80th all over again,with small startup companies.

Profile     Report this post  
VT2005EE 
Posted on 8-Jan-2010 6:39:38
#82 ]

I like the X1000 specs a lot, but it would be nice to see a form-factor savy Amiga come out. The X1000 will not be that..... Someone needs to port AROS to a Droid phone, or something along those lines.

brotsalami 
Posted on 8-Jan-2010 9:26:43
#83 ]

@Threadstarter

please rename the thread to: "What's the dream?"

@ thread
Even though you have good ideas and a lot of what you say might be true, there is a big problem. You need much more money then Hyperion has to pull something like this off.

Of course an A-phone would be awesome, but did you think how much money it would take to develop the hardware, install the online services you are talking about and keep them running?
Even M$ is struggling to do that, with quite a bunch of money.

Amiga is dead to the common people. Apple was never. To get enough attention from the common people you have to invest a lot of money into marketing.

I don't see this happening right now.

Small steps, Focus on your strength. This will make you stronger.

Now Amiga might have a unique platform again with the Xena chips, and having a short look at the Xmos Forums, I saw plenty of developer geeks, that will fit perfectly to us Amiga geeks.
Together we have to pull off something unique for any kind of market. (Apple had the marketing industry, M$ the offices). So let's also go for somebody that has money: Let it be the filmindustry (but they have less and less money) or even a real industry like cars, plants, or whatever.

First thing Amiga needs is a constant flow of money, that can be invested in developing the platform. Going for the top, is not going to work.

Somebody said something really interesting about merging the Software and Hardware companies together.
It might not be necesarry to merge companies, but there should be a close teamwork between these companies to focus the money investments and creativity and ideas and developer power and everything.

I would also vote for merging MorphOS, AmigaOS and Aros under one brand, just to combine the experience of the developers together. (I know that is not going to happen, but this is the dream thread, right?)

So the only thing we can do right now is waiting (that one thing the Amiga community is perfect at), let's have a look at the final specs of the X1000, the comniation with AmigaOS and than think, think very hard, what we could pull of with that.

Hyperion, A-eon, Acube and all the software makers need money amd there is not enough money in the community itself.

So who knows someone, or a group of people that has money?

KimmoK 
Posted on 8-Jan-2010 9:43:36
#84 ]
Elite Member

@brotsalami

"(I know that is not going to happen, but this is the dream thread, right?)"

We only need some rich (in)sane guy to invest one million $ to MOS+AROS+AOS4 combining bounty.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

gerograph 
Posted on 8-Jan-2010 10:01:52
#85 ]
Cult Member

@brotsalami

Quote:

true,... thats what I said... small steps with a vision. But this does not necessarily mean we have to go for a bottom to top strategy. We need a field where Amiga can become the "de facto Standard". This might be a small field for a start...

getting the XMOS people on board is a good idea, but why is there no new on XMOS about X1000 ? If XMOS people are important, then they already should be exited about it, and should have been involved in A-Eons teaser.

Quote:

Thats the question, the group should have a strong interest in X1000 / AOS based solutions.
Pharmacy/medical sector has a lot of money, but donnot know wether X1000 / AOS could serve their needs....

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

Zylesea 
Posted on 8-Jan-2010 10:10:33
#86 ]
Elite Member

@gerograph

I doubt the X1000 is iof much importance to XMOS. Look, they sell usb dev kits for US$ 99. Their dev kit is Eclipse based, quite a standard out there - and obviously not avaliable for OS4 (no Java).

Last edited by Zylesea on 08-Jan-2010 at 10:11 AM.

brotsalami 
Posted on 8-Jan-2010 12:31:47
#87 ]

at least the xcore forums mention the X1000

http://www.xcore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=114&sid=66a74ba4b97f8a61f0947c1a71ea83ea

I think the X1000 is quite important to XMOS, as it will be the first Motherboard / OS combination including a XMOS chip. So they will see, what possibilities the freaky Amigans come up with.

And I have to say, even though I don't own an Amiga for a long time. The things Amiga users /companies have developed are amazing.

Starting from clockport connections (who else is using USB on a technology from that time) , over the Blizzard PPC boards (at a time when x86, still had wet dreams about dualcor procs)

I think the Amiga community can play a strong part in the XMOS plans, as we (and I include myself, even without an Amiga :D) can bring a lot of development power (software & hardware ) to XMOS.

So let's see what Amigans can do with the XMOS chips. If Amigans are good at one thing, then it is "Do amazing things with Hardware and Software the rest of the world laughs at."

I feel very positive about Amiga in the last 3 years... and I am looking forward to see where she is in 2013.

mavherzog 
Posted on 28-Mar-2010 12:21:26
#88 ]

The primary goal should be to enable hobbyists to use their new Amiga systems as much as possible. Give me a flash and JRE 1.6+ capable browser, an SSH client, RDP client, IRC client, and nice multi-protocol IM client (GAIM/Pidgin port) and I can spend 90% of my computing time on an Amiga. Some of this is already available...let's get it all.

Allow new users to replicate their current tasks on the Amiga platform, and that will allow them the flexibility to make the financial commitment. There are a lot of computer hobbyists (some old Amiga owners, some not) who would love to add something unique to their collection...but as mentioned above, you need to enable them to use the system for their core tasks.

Last edited by mavherzog on 28-Mar-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Mechanic 
Posted on 28-Mar-2010 13:57:18
#89 ]
Elite Member

I agree with most of the last few posts.

Finding, promoting, niche applications for X1000 can only help it grow. Of course
software is necessary as will be innovative add-ins. Oh, and some time.

I also feel strongly that we need to attract neophytes. Not just new to Amiga, but
new to computing. And they will need neophyte tools and directions. Maybe not on the
day of release, but soon(ish) afterwards. There is a lot of untapped talent out there
waiting for their ripe minds to be warped into Amigaland.

persia 
Posted on 28-Mar-2010 14:44:40
#90 ]

Because XMOS people can buy a programming device for their computer for ¤40 and not have to deal with a ¤1500 boat anchor attached?

Just a guess...

@gerograph

Quote:

gerograph wrote:
@brotsalami

Quote:

true,... thats what I said... small steps with a vision. But this does not necessarily mean we have to go for a bottom to top strategy. We need a field where Amiga can become the "de facto Standard". This might be a small field for a start...

getting the XMOS people on board is a good idea, but why is there no new on XMOS about X1000 ? If XMOS people are important, then they already should be exited about it, and should have been involved in A-Eons teaser.

Quote:

Thats the question, the group should have a strong interest in X1000 / AOS based solutions.
Pharmacy/medical sector has a lot of money, but donnot know wether X1000 / AOS could serve their needs....

persia 
Posted on 28-Mar-2010 15:46:26
#91 ]

@mavherzog
Probably, but that doesn't get new customers. You forgot to mention syncing you phone/iPod, this is a must in 2010. The Amiga community appears to number in 4 digits, computers are ubiquitous today so how do you make inroads into some very well established communities?

Windows users are spoilt for applications, they aren't going to be impressed with a few Linux ports. Virus free? Amiga's primary virus protection is obscurity, something you want to do away with. What would convince a Windows user to spend far more money for a machine that is slower and has virtually no apps?

Mac Users already have a system that is clean, powerful, stable and easy to use. They pay a premium to Windows users but the Amiga premium is far larger and it doesn't deliver anything that they don't have already, plus they would loose access to Windows programs as well as some pretty neat Mac apps.

Linux users already have the open sources apps you want to port, they can run on very inexpensive equipment. And the biggest issue with Linux folks, how do you convince them to go to a closed source proprietary OS????

Would even a killer app help? If you developed a killer app how long would it be before someone else developed it for the other more numerous platforms? Remember there are more programers for the other systems in a typical medium size city than there are Amiga users!

The best bet is to find a niche, big enough to survive in, but small enough to not be worth it to the other machines. Good Luck in finding that.

Quote:

mavherzog wrote:
The primary goal should be to enable hobbyists to use their new Amiga systems as much as possible. Give me a flash and JRE 1.6+ capable browser, an SSH client, RDP client, IRC client, and nice multi-protocol IM client (GAIM/Pidgin port) and I can spend 90% of my computing time on an Amiga. Some of this is already available...let's get it all.

Allow new users to replicate their current tasks on the Amiga platform, and that will allow them the flexibility to make the financial commitment. There are a lot of computer hobbyists (some old Amiga owners, some not) who would love to add something unique to their collection...but as mentioned above, you need to enable them to use the system for their core tasks.

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 28-Mar-2010 15:59:30
#92 ]
Cult Member

@brotsalami
BlizzardPPC's aren't dualcore systems as it is known today for a dual core.
You cannot use at the same time 68k and ppc or combining them for tasks. You used the 68k to boot, then the ppc to execute ppc code.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

mavherzog 
Posted on 29-Mar-2010 4:59:29
#93 ]

@persia

I'm a potential new user. I've never owned an Amiga in my life. I went from a TI-99/4a to a C64 to a PC. I knew folks that owned Amigas back when I ran a BBS and wish I had embraced the Amiga community. I'm extremely interested in picking up a next gen Amiga and would like to be able to spend a good portion of my leisure computing time on one to get familiar with it and embrace the niche community. But that can only happen if the basics are available (as mentioned above). You have to crawl before you can walk...and even if the basics aren't sexy or differentiators, you need them if you expect new adopters to purchase a next gen Amiga.

umisef 
Posted on 29-Mar-2010 7:01:42
#94 ]

@brotsalami

Quote:
over the Blizzard PPC boards (at a time when x86, still had wet dreams about dualcor procs)

The 68k/PPC boards weren't "dualcor[sic] procs", they were dual-processor boards.

At the time (1997), dual-CPU x86 motherboards, providing fully symmetric and cache-coherent multi-processing, were readily available, and had been for years. The Tyan S1462 "Tempest" is but one example.

But of course, the Phase5 PPC boards weren't fully symmetric, and weren't cache coherent --- which means that they are closer to the 1989 Compaq SystemPro.

Last edited by umisef on 29-Mar-2010 at 07:22 AM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 29-Mar-2010 8:10:54
#95 ]
Elite Member

A lot of people switch also to Linux, even though it's not "perfect" in ex windows user's viewpoint.

So, IMHO, if we can provide anything interesting, it is possible that we get more users.
(simplicity, ease of use, reliability (beyond MP), responsiveness, efficient use of resources, best multimedia behaviour, best for device control applications, retro, ...)

Ease of use is one of the core parts that we must take good care of. Amiga was the easiest to master in early 90's. I hope we manage to be that again, one day.

No world domination in sight, but a good change that our niche can grow to even healthier one.

Last edited by KimmoK on 29-Mar-2010 at 08:11 AM.

opi 
Posted on 29-Mar-2010 9:09:17
#96 ]
Team Member

@KimmoK

Quote:
A lot of people switch also to Linux, even though it's not "perfect"

There are no perfect OSes. I use all three major OSes and I hate them all. You can't really see "people moving to Linux" as chance for "people moving to AmigaOS". Quality wise, software wise, cost wise and hardware wise those two platforms are light years apart.

KimmoK 
Posted on 29-Mar-2010 10:08:25
#97 ]
Elite Member

@opi

But I think the situation is a little bit different than in late 90's.
IMO: people accept Windows alternatives more easily nowdays, generally.

opi 
Posted on 29-Mar-2010 10:26:27
#98 ]
Team Member

@KimmoK

Quote:
But I think the situation is a little bit different than in late 90's.

On hardware front, yes. On software front, I think we had more "current" software between 94-99. Or maybe it was just my imagination because I was still hardcore, faboish Amiga user.

Quote:
IMO: people accept Windows alternatives more easily nowdays, generally.

That is true. My favorite situation would be 30% for Windows, 30% for OS X, 30% for BSD/Linux and 10% for Haiku/MorphOS/AmigaOS/Whatever. That would be some healthy ecosystem for being competitive.

BillE 
Posted on 29-Mar-2010 10:57:35
#99 ]

@persia

Quote:
Probably, but that doesn't get new customers. You forgot to mention syncing you phone/iPod, this is a must in 2010.

No it isn't.

I can quite well live without an iPod and especially without some damned phone.

opi 
Posted on 29-Mar-2010 11:09:33
#100 ]
Team Member

@BillE

Quote:
I can quite well live without an iPod and especially without some damned phone.

You're amigan hence you're not part of "normal people" usage patterns.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle