Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 55 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  3 mins ago
 SOFISTISOFTWARE:  10 mins ago
 Hammer:  23 mins ago
 cdimauro:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 gonegahgah:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 14:56:36
#281 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
In my opinion, npt worth it because they will not find that many users in the amiga market.

Exactly, not in this community.

I only hope, when users of these new "Commodore" computers appear on this forum for help and advice, they will not met the same animosity as CommodoreUSA...

Profile     Report this post  
WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:00:27
#282 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
I only hope, when users of these new "Commodore" computers appear on this forum for help and advice, they will not met the same animosity as CommodoreUSA...

I'd be interested in setting up a new website specifically for the x86 Commodore and Amiga users, possibly to go together with the "CommodoreMarket". I don't think x86 Ubuntu users would be welcomed here, judging by the reaction of some of the users on these events. Besides, enough fractions are already waring on this site, no need to add another one...

-www.commodoreamiga.x86.net-?

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 03-Sep-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 03-Sep-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Metalheart 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:11:57
#283 ]
Elite Member

I didnt want to bother with it, but my head keeps spinning with disbelieve. So I just have to have my say something about this all.... Not that anyone should care though....

I didn't read this whole thread as it is to long to catch up in a few minutes.

1. I do not understand that some people are shouting that 'finally there is a x86 Amiga'
There isn't ! It's a standard PC in an Amiga named case running any OS plus maybe AROS.
2. You can run AROS already on a LOT of standard x86 boxes.
3. It is going to be a real mess (in the eyse of the outside world) when x86 pc's running ubuntu or whatever are going to be called Commodore Amiga. It has NOTHING to do with anything Amiga at all. Atleast AROS has something in common. I can already her my friends say: ' Hey ! Amiga has finally switched to Windows....' AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH !
4. I my eyes AmigaOS4 (and beyond) is THE official way to go forward not because of the name, but because of natural evolution from older AOS's. Anything else cant or shouldn't be called Amiga in whatever form. Note that I do not dislike MOS or AROS !
5. Maybe Commodore has some added value for Amiga, so fine if it would bring more devs and users to Amiga. But it wouldn't because the Commodore Amiga is NO Amiga.
6. perhaps more to follow....

just my 2 Ects....

That as soon as you're born you're dying

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:16:16
#284 ]

@Metalheart

Quote:
3. It is going to be a real mess (in the eyse of the outside world) when x86 pc's running ubuntu or whatever are going to be called Commodore Amiga. It has NOTHING to do with anything Amiga at all. Atleast AROS has something in common. I can already her my friends say: ' Hey ! Amiga has finally switched to Windows....' AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH !

The only real mess might maybe happen within some of the OS4 community who are attracted to The Name. The outside world hardly has any interest in OS4 PPC Amigas, as shown by sales.

TCMSLP 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:18:42
#285 ]

What would a 'commodore store' do above and beyond the standard Ubuntu software centre?

We're talking about a standard PC, running Linux, with a 'Commodore Amiga' badge on the case.

*head desk* *head desk*
*head desk* *head desk*

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:22:14
#286 ]

@TCMSLP

Like I already said...

remake of good old commodore/amiga games
new games
ports(games, applications...)
remake/port of old popular applications and new applications
bounties and sales of new drivers
possible GUI redo to appear more Amiga/Commodore-like
Themes with commodore or amiga-like styling that would make some of the users maybe more comfortable...

there's a lot to do if you want it.

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 03-Sep-2010 at 03:23 PM.

number6 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:25:22
#287 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
Besides, enough fractions are already waring on this site, no need to add another one...

If you refer to Amigaworld.net, then you should review it's history.
Welcome to the Alt Amiga Forum!

Although the information in this section has not been updated, it should give you some idea of how the website has changed to meet the needs of its members.

I even offered Amiga Inc. their own forum here, which most people would assume was an insane thought, at the very least. heh.

Nevertheless, if you want to do more than just -hint- at the fact that you are looking for a web presence, talk to staff.

Or, you can just tell me I've misread your post. Either way...

pavlor 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:27:52
#288 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
www.commodoreamiga.x86.net

Sounds good enough!

Quote:
Besides, enough fractions are already waring on this site, no need to add another one...

And so lose nice flame-fest? All new users are welcomed here... and we will convert them to the right faith.

TCMSLP 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:28:50
#289 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

"The outside world hardly has any interest in OS4 PPC Amigas, as shown by sales."

This is true. So, Commodore should sell a Commodore PC. This is exactly what this is; a PC running Linux.

Amiga, for right or wrong, is MC68K and PPC. Amiga OS is owned by Hyperion. AROS is not Amiga OS. Linux is not Amiga OS. A PC is not an Amiga.

I'm not being anti Intel/Microsoft/Linux - the above is just reality.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and I partly share your enthusiasm (Commodore selling nice case designs running Ubuntu is fantastic news - I'm a sucker for retro branding and nice case designs too!) but I still insist this is *not* Amiga and to call it such is hugely misleading.

pavlor 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:30:05
#290 ]
Elite Member

@TCMSLP

Quote:
A PC is not an Amiga.

But Amiga is a PC (personal computer).

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:31:17
#291 ]

@number6

I think that maybe a new start warrants a new webpage... That said, there's nothing and nobody stopping amigaworld.net making a new section for new users.

I think it's a bad idea, especially if X1000, OS4 and Hyperion flop "because"(in truth it will have nothing to do with this but that will not stop some people going on a rampage) of x86 Amigas. Wouldn't be good for anybody for flame wars to intensify any more. Like I said, if this thing gets off to a good start, I have plans.

nikosidis 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:33:02
#292 ]
Cult Member

I rem.. Commdore sold x86 computers in the old days. That did not obiously not make it.
They point is that today in 2010 there is no real alternative to the big 3.
Just a simple but important thing as Flash is only aviable for the big 3.

That does not mean that other OS have no market, cause there are plenty of places to make things attractive.

Lets say every C-USA Amiga comes with a usb stick where AROS is installed with a lot of open source games.

Look what phoenix did. He made a attractive media center.

They could also easy send updates, even sell games online with this solution.
No problem either to have OWB there so as a bonus people can even browse the net.
Noone can tell me that the browser that comes with PS3 is any good, so as long as not advertising AROS as a real OS alternative, focus on other things the OS can or will do well.

That is first of all what people rem.. from commodore and amiga. The games.

TCMSLP 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:39:07
#293 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Remakes of old games, ports, apps etc would all benefit the Linux community as a whole and therefor shouldn't be restricted to a 'commodore store'. Hence, I assume they'd be available in the Ubuntu Software Centre anyway.

Bounties and drivers are mostly irrelevant as the underlying drivers are Linux.

The GUI is a fair point, but I notice AmiWM has been updated for the 25th Amiga Anniversary (see http://www.lysator.liu.se/~marcus/amiwm.html). This may make a reasonable start, if the author was open to contributions.

However all the above would be making an Amiga-like Linux desktop. I can modify my Linux desktop (for example XFCE with doc etc) to look almost identical to OSX but it won't run OSX code.

If Commodore USA drop the 'Amiga' name I'd consider buying one as my day-to-day Linux desktop.

number6 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:39:20
#294 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
I think it's a bad idea, especially if X1000, OS4 and Hyperion flop "because"(in truth it will have nothing to do with this but that will not stop some people going on a rampage) of x86 Amigas. Wouldn't be good for anybody for flame wars to intensify any more.

Point taken, but the same argument was made before those new forums were placed on the Amigaworld front page. Plus, if you intend to argue that the presence itself would cause ill will, look at the responses to your posts.
You've been here pretty much 24/7 since you arrived. Are you being attacked THAT voraciously?

I'm not trying to convince either you or AW of anything here. I'm just saying that you've done quite an efficient job as spokesperson.

TCMSLP 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:40:55
#295 ]

@pavlor

Yup, the same way as a mac is a PC - but we all know the market as a rules regards a PC as a generic x86 box :)

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:43:44
#296 ]

@TCMSLP

Quote:
Remakes of old games, ports, apps etc would all benefit the Linux community as a whole and therefor shouldn't be restricted to a 'commodore store'. Hence, I assume they'd be available in the Ubuntu Software Centre anyway.

If I do it, it will all be freeware anyway and be done by fans for fans. Therefore all Linux users can download them. That would only be good because brands will be getting extra attention.
If Commodore USA decides to do it then it will be by their rules, not mine, and I do not speak for nor by them.

Quote:
Bounties and drivers are mostly irrelevant as the underlying drivers are Linux.

Point taken, but as these are x86 machines I expect some people wanting to possibly upgrade and there's always a chance that some driver is either poorly or not working at all.

Quote:
However all the above would be making an Amiga-like Linux desktop. I can modify my Linux desktop (for example XFCE with doc etc) to look almost identical to OSX but it won't run OSX code.

That can be taken care of

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 03-Sep-2010 at 03:44 PM.

andres 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:48:50
#297 ]

I wonder what will happen if Asiarim or CIC should one day or another decide to remove C= brand license for Commodore USA...
Or, more likely, if Amiga Inc. would decide to remove the AMIGA mark.

Home Recording Audio

KimmoK 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:50:31
#298 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

"they just need a good Linux distribution, with some men-day of work to create a good "Amiga Look" on X11, bundle some applications to surf Google and Facebook, and place an Amiga Forever disc in every box to fullfits all the mainstream needs,"

Sad but so true for the mainstream market.

(mainstream would love to feel&use the AmigalikeOS true features, but it requires a lot more)

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

KimmoK 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 15:57:24
#299 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

"Commodore is taking the easy and smart way. They plan to have a replica of the world's best selling personal computer of all times ready by this Christmas. Imagine how many people will feel nostalgia and since it's holiday season they(C=) stand a much better chance of enjoying a good sales. "

Rippin/raping the name for their own use.

"Hyperion(and all of the others before them) had the option of doing this very same thing and decided not to. Tough luck. "

Name raping with money making and producing real Amiga experience for the community are totally different kind of things.

Hyperion cares for the later, you seem to care for the first.
So you love also Bill Gates businesses because they made $$$?

UPDATE....
After reading to the end of the thread ... what a waste.
Positive to see C= interest on Amiga. I'll wait & see if it delivers something for AmigalikeOS fans.
Other than that, kick me if I enter this thread again.

Last edited by KimmoK on 03-Sep-2010 at 04:05 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

RodTerl 
Posted on 3-Sep-2010 16:02:00
#300 ]
Cult Member

EXCUSE ME...

Ah.. sorry about that.. but Im afraid its Started.

http://www.elektor.com/news/welcome-back-commodore-c64.1514707.lynkx

this is a pretty majour European and UK electronics magazine, thats has various PIC and electronics articles, including how to build them, alond with advetrts for programmers, an XGameStation etc.

To my best knowledge, they have Never shown MiniMig, Natami, there has been No reviews or comparisons against XGameStation etc, there has been No mention of AOnes, SAms, or evn the AXK.

And yet, within a couple days of the new bustup, over Names and Advertising, this widely read electroncis magazine is exitedly announcing the return of the Commodore name, etc etc.

Amiga is the V2000 to these guys ink blots on paper take, and we are going to LOSE as they bring out their VHS.

These days, its all about who can LIE the most convincingly, and given that AInc is still going, they are second best only to Microsoft and Apple.

there is No point trying to talk to AInc, the only way to deal with them, is to Buy Them Out, and Crush Them. they wish to live by the philosophy of Microsoft, they can only be destroyed by the philosphy of Microsoft.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle