Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 101 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  6 mins ago
 kolla:  7 mins ago
 amigakit:  7 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  10 mins ago
 Gunnar:  48 mins ago
 Frank:  55 mins ago
 MickJT:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 outlawal2:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )
PosterThread
Tomas 
Re: AMIGA Name bought by Commodore!
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 11:49:37
#81 ]
Elite Member

@Argosy

Quote:

Argosy wrote:
@Tomas

Quote:
They could go into partnership with hyperion and pay them to do a port??

ask them(Hyperion) here and now what they think of x86 AmigaOS 5.x? I think we all know the answer on that

And they would most likely tell us that it is because of economic reasons and priorities.
These things dont matter if you have big enough wallet.

Profile     Report this post  
eXec 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 11:49:45
#82 ]
Cult Member

@Kicko

blade runner qoute!

;)))

"A coding sequence cannot be revised once it's been established. "

This is unstoppable now! Chain reaction has begun!

I wonder what will Hyperion do now... port OS4 to x86... the only solution...

courts will last another 10 years...

andres 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 11:57:58
#83 ]

@eXec
Quote:
I wonder what will Hyperion do now... port OS4 to x86... the only solution...

What will happen it's just another legal case...
In 1 or 2 years the said C=usa will be vanished, and other money and time will be lost...

Home Recording Audio

SHADES 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 11:58:15
#84 ]
Cult Member

@Argosy

Quote:

Argosy wrote:
@Kicko

Quote:
I feel sorry for the AROS devs if this comes true and if commodore changes it to the way AROS devs dont like it to be. But future will tell.

I feel AROS would do well with a change. Use for example emumiga to run legacy Amiga software. If they want to sell serious computers with AROS on it, then IMHO, it needs a big upgrade that would probably break compatibility with previous versions and software.

Things that are needed

new GUI
SMP
VM
New file system
new APIs
x86-64 support, drivers....

it's a LOT of work.

As to AROS devs, they can still choose to develop AROS in whichever direction they feel like going.

True, it is a lot of work, still, it was a lot of work to get it to where it is now, without any access to AMIGA source code. Anyway, it's all Hypothetical. Who knows what will happen.

I have run along now. I'm expecting to be a Father again tomorrow need a good nights sleep.

Argosy 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 11:59:45
#85 ]

@Tomas

Quote:
And they would most likely tell us that it is because of economic reasons and priorities.

They have been sitting on a gold mine(AROS) and did nothing... Could have used AROS code and do a x86 AMIGA OS4... Nobody in the community would say a thing against it!!! Add a customized x86 board and voila... Hyperion amigaone x86

And what did they do? Went with an outdated and overpriced hardware all in the name of some specialness... Now when somebody did what was needed to be done YEARS ago, they have a problem with it. I'm not disputing there may be illegal stuff to what amiga and commodoreUSA did, I'm just disputing their reasoning over x86 in the first place.

I say they brought this one on themselves... the market was there, AROS was there, everything was laid up for them and they said no.

We'll go to that forbidden land.

Dandy 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:02:04
#86 ]
Elite Member

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:
@BigBentheAussie

... I noted that there was nothing to stop Amiga Inc from producing Amiga branded PC using someone else's operating system ...

Except perhaps their lack of money and skills, not to mention their lack of will?

IIRC, McBill always emphasised they were no hardware company, but a software company...

Dandy

andres 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:03:09
#87 ]

@SHADES
I would change the topic in "AMIGA Name licensed by Commodore USA!"
Surely, they didn't buy it.

Last edited by andres on 01-Sep-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Home Recording Audio

Dandy 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:07:03
#88 ]
Elite Member

@Argosy

triple boot video

Dandy

Tomas 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:09:25
#89 ]
Elite Member

@Argosy
Years ago they could not do #### due to Amiga INC. They only had a license for ppc hardware.
I am pretty sure they would be more willing if someone with a big wallet asked for a port.

And AROS was back then completely unusable for anything and not even close to 3.x in terms of features and usability. It would have been cheaper and easier to just use 3.1 source code.

Last edited by Tomas on 01-Sep-2010 at 12:11 PM.

-Sam- 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:09:43
#90 ]
Elite Member

@SHADES

Great - just what we need - another unprofessional individual living some sort of personal Amiga fantasy. These are just PCs with badges on. It's not what we want. Amiga Fantasy case or not.

It's not just the case we want to see - it's the next gen Amiga in it.

Just how is sticking an Amiga badge on a PC going to help? It runs AROS? Why would I want to buy a branded PC? If I'm running AROS I would just buy a standard PC - or use an old one.

-Sam- 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:12:15
#91 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

Quote:
Our American lawyers will take action against this.

Good. So they should. Does this mean we have a rogue Amiga Inc. still handing out 'licensing' for cash somewhere in the US?

That could be difficult to police.

Tomas 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:13:44
#92 ]
Elite Member

@andres

Quote:

andres wrote:
@SHADES
I would change the topic in "AMIGA Name licensed by Commodore USA!"
Surely, they didn't buy it.

I have a feeling they dont even have a license. I bet they just pulled that press release from their rear end.
Even the pictures on that site have been illegally stolen from the internet.

Argosy 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:14:57
#93 ]

@Dandy

I've already seen that video. Wha I meant to say is that I' like to see some work being done on these new announced computers. Surely they must be working on them if they're going to be on the market by Christmas. That would help this discussion IMMENSELY!

michalsc 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:18:27
#94 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Argosy

Quote:
x86-64 support

We have x86_64 support for some years already.

Argosy 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:21:38
#95 ]

@michalsc

But how much software and drivers is there for the x86-64... not very much. Pascal(Phoenixconsole) is the only one that I've noticed on the aros-exec talking about 64bit support. Though I could be wrong...

paolone 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:24:41
#96 ]

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Our American lawyers will take action against this.
This is blatant violation of the rights Hyperion Entertainment secured in the settlement agreement with Amiga Inc., Itec and Amino.

Which basically reminds to me our old adagio "cambiano i musicanti, ma la musica resta sempre la stessa" (musicians change, but the music is always the same), which basically means that people-coming-after tend to behave the same way other people did before, when dealing with the same situations.

I think most amigans are just sick of legal actions, years of pointless debates and so. I also think many amigans would love to see AmigaOS on x86 machines. Well, if Commodore USA is serious in its plans, this might be the chance to port the OS to the x86 platform, being it thanks to a contract with Commodore USA, or just starting from your initiative. You can also reuse the AROS code you may need to speed up development.

Origin of the splitting of this community was due to a few companies trying to take over the whole cake, promoting their own solutions and trying to close every door to the others. I wouldn't like to see this happening again. I can understand Hyperion - and first of all A-Eon - have to protect the money they had already invested, but I don't think that another legal struggle will be useful to anyone. Said so, only people will decide what's best for them.

Anonymous 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:36:15
# ]

@Argosy

I don't think it needs all of those things for the retro/enthusiast/hobbyist crowd. OS 4 and MOS are equally tied to the old OS 3.x architecture, but the weaknesses aren't so exposed because of a lot more bug-fixing/stability work and polishing.

For the GUI - graphics compositing and font aliasing would make a massive difference to how the system is perceived. Coupled with new themes and icons, more work on Wanderer (getting some more of Ambient's features) and the nice docks from Icaros and Broadway, you have a sense of modernity.

What it needs then is a whole heap of bug-fixing so that it doesn't crash that often when you're using the core apps. That's number one priority.

Hardware support is pretty good, printing aside, and wi-fi's on the way. There's talk of a new file-system, so let's keep our fingers crossed on that front. x86-64 exists and you'll see a lot more of it as AROS Broadway is moving there.

Perhaps this is enough to buy some time. As long as those types of user are having fun with it, maybe we can wait for the SMP, memory-protection and the other holy grails... I hope so....

Chris

Report this post  
Argosy 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:40:13
#98 ]

@clebin

Quote:
I don't think it needs all of those things for the retro/enthusiast/hobbyist crowd

I don't sense from their press release that retro gaming and computing is their intended role for amiga. Sure, they'd like for you to be able to run legacy amiga software but not only that.

From what I'm gathering, they want a New Generation Amiga. And for that they need a New Generation OS. One with modern features. Otherwise, why even bother. That's why I was cheering for something like Anubis OS because it would mean getting there probably somewhat faster and safer then going with AROS(which could still have it's use on the replica models). That's just me, though... I'm sure I'll be marked as heretic for saying that

Anonymous 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:45:56
# ]

@Argosy

Quote:
I say they brought this one on themselves... the market was there, AROS was there, everything was laid up for them and they said no.

As Tomas said, to be fair, they didn't have the license to do an x86 port until the court verdict. I'm not a fan of their decisions since though.

Chris

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 1-Sep-2010 12:48:58
# ]

@Argosy

Anubis would've been great, but I'm glad work continued on AROS. There has to be a tipping point for this stuff. Someone will reinvent the Amiga API for SMP, etc and then it'll be a 3-way race as they all scramble to do it.

I don't know what they're intending, but the Amiga Fantasy is only going to appeal to hobbyists and retro fans...

Chris

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle