Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

clint

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  14 secs ago
 RickSkid:  10 mins ago
 bhabbott:  15 mins ago
 BigD:  17 mins ago
 Diane:  20 mins ago
 VooDoo:  24 mins ago
 A1200:  28 mins ago
 pixie:  40 mins ago
 retrofaza:  41 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Workbench 5 = AROS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )
PosterThread
jorit2 
Re: Workbench 5 = AROS?
Posted on 5-Apr-2013 21:40:34
#361 ]

@paolone

Quote:

paolone wrote:
@Daedalus

[quote] So the problem won't be that someone "stole" the name we are all fond of, but that our rants will be reduced to what they really are: un-influential, pointless little complaints from a little, microscopic community over the IT world.

I don't know if you remember this post of yours ... but I bookmarked it ...

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=33083&forum=17&start=180&viewmode=flat&order=0#597915

It reminded me then and now of the closing scene in the animated movie "Antz"

A movie full of drama and wars and what not ... But in the closing scene, the camera zooms out and you get the perspective of the drama and the wars.

I added the black square to focus on the tiny little anthill, the setting of the movie ...

Profile     Report this post  
Templario 
Posted on 5-Apr-2013 21:55:39
#362 ]
Elite Member

@fatman2021
No, and never because AROS is different, but you got one point...

vox 
Posted on 5-Apr-2013 22:01:45
#363 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

@fatman2021

Quote:
What do you think? Does Workbench 5 = AROS?

Only Workbench 5 can be Workbench 5, and is currently 4.
AROS uses Wanderer

If you ment AROS is AmigaOS 5, again you are wrong.
http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/aros.html

Its great there is Amiga History website, its just sad it hasn`t been updated.

Quote:
Mac OS X also did a break with the tradition. I worked nicely for them. AmigaOID OS is too outdated to use today. A complete rewrite would be needed. Might as well use something more modern from the start.

We can agree, but today we actually know C-USA did nothing in developing NEW software (like example of MacOS X breaktrough)
but skinned and jampacked existing Linux distro. Don`t you feel a bit shame on giving such high "technology breakout" promises from people that haven`t done anything innovative?

In hardware design C64x case was something new, for VIC and Amiga series we know
its re badged existing case.

Note: X1000 for example also has rebadged Fractal design case, but at least motherboard and OS are new products

P.S.
Loved the fuzzy logic of no-sense when C=USA dropped Workbench V name

Quote:
Clearly the Commodore brand is stronger than the Amiga brand.

Last edited by vox on 05-Apr-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Last edited by vox on 05-Apr-2013 at 10:03 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 5-Apr-2013 22:28:13
#364 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

Reply in 2 years old thread? Nice grave robbing.
So colourful memories to read again our heated discussion back then... It is sad some faces left AW for good.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Apr-2013 23:13:39
#365 ]
Elite Member

@vox

to say it clear because it is repeated all the time... Wanderer is the (improvable) Workbench-Replacement but not AROS. It is the same as when you say a Linux-Distribution with Gnome is not Linux because only KDE is Linux. AROS is a opensource cross-platform API based on the old Amiga-API. There is already a beta version of Scalos on ABI1, Scalos and Magellan run on AROS 68k. As I understand it there is a good chance that Magellan soon will be available for all platforms native so I see a good chance that Wanderer will be replaced. I personal have no problem to let "AmigaOS" the crown for being the best "Retro" amiga platform because I am more interested in the future.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Apr-2013 23:20:08
#366 ]
Elite Member

@jorit2

I also found these kind of threads here and on other sites, you do not have to dig deep. But to use your analogy, a couple of ants are weak but when they become more and more ants can become a power.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Apr-2013 23:23:51
#367 ]
Elite Member

@Templario

AROS is not "Workbench 5" but a cross-platform API. Wanderer, Scalos, Magellan, Ambient and so on are GUIs.

jorit2 
Posted on 5-Apr-2013 23:31:35
#368 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@jorit2

I also found these kind of threads here and on other sites, you do not have to dig deep. But to use your analogy, a couple of ants are weak but when they become more and more ants can become a power.

I agree ... The cool thing about ants is not that they become a power when they become more and more ... what's really fascinating is what they can do when they work together ... and how they instinctively start working together.

I find this an extraordinary video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A042J0IDQK4

vox 
Posted on 6-Apr-2013 12:04:54
#369 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
to say it clear because it is repeated all the time... Wanderer is the (improvable) Workbench-Replacement but not AROS. It is the same as when you say a Linux-Distribution with Gnome is not Linux because only KDE is Linux. AROS is a opensource cross-platform API based on the old Amiga-API. There is already a beta version of Scalos on ABI1, Scalos and Magellan run on AROS 68k. As I understand it there is a good chance that Magellan soon will be available for all platforms native so I see a good chance that Wanderer will be replaced. I personal have no problem to let "AmigaOS" the crown for being the best "Retro" amiga platform because I am more interested in the future.

Thank you for the clarification. I do not negate that AROS API is based on Workbench API, but it simply isn`t also what will be known as Workbench 5 once AmigaOS reaches version five. Like Linux, AmigaOS traditionally offers API replacements, as mentioned, which have some advanced features. Hope as you say Magellan will go native, not only as WB replacement, but as simply best and most customizable file manager, but as well that Workbench will advance after OS 4.2

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle