Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 155 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  30 secs ago
 pixie:  24 mins ago
 Karlos:  52 mins ago
 OlafS25:  56 mins ago
 Matt3k:  59 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Workbench 5 = AROS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
Jupp3 
Re: Workbench 5 = AROS?
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 15:35:42
#41 ]

@acefnq

Quote:
Yes some software was derived from Linux or Unix (as most Linux software derives from). I am not aware of any OS4 drivers being derived from Linux but I may be wrong BUT there is a big difference OS4, AROS or MOS do not pretend to be Linux, we don't badge our machines as Linux nor try to steal the Linux heritage.

Assuming we can extend "Linux" to mean "Generic UNIX-like systems", How about .so support and AmiCygnix, for example? add TCP/IP stacks to the list aswell. Qt is also very popular on Linux and other UNIX systems (MacOS X) although also on non-unix systems, such as Microsoft Windows.

Not saying having any or all of those would be a bad thing (from Amiga or Linux/Unix point of view), just pointing out that they most definitely have "Linux/Unix heritage".

Last edited by Jupp3 on 23-Jan-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
klx300r 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 16:00:36
#42 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

already been over this excercise Leo amiga.org thread

still can't see how custum cased PC's with commodore stickers are gonna attract the younger generation unless they are much cheaper than any existing PC box?? CUSA associating with AI surely won't get anyone in the community interested soo again i ask ..who is your target market ???

why not go market your Linux distro on Linux forums & see what kind of response you get

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 16:07:06
#43 ]
Elite Member

@All

I can tell you one thing I'm not going back to Linux, at lest not as my main system, I spent a lot of time trying to maintain package dependencies, that where better used on some thing else.

I'm not saying Linux is bad or anything,

serk118 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 16:08:21
#44 ]
Cult Member

Well they got the name & the money & we as community mainly old aged no money no real development just holping someone to come from nowhere to save amiga and asking world to
buy ppc hw & run amiga os4 lol.

get real & stop using ppc hw go with what todays hw & atleast like aros.

amigaos 4 or morphos will see the daylight maybe just maybe if you can run any amigas
from x86 hw if not than you wont beat C=US or grow or get new devs since its not cheap to buy ppc but nearly everyone got x86 today or you can even buy one less than £99.00 pounds that can give
better performance than what ppc can give.

i have been long amiga user and i think its time says give amiga x86 hw than ppc hw.

sorry to comeup with another x86 but look & look again everydoor we knock is closing and we at the same roundabout and not doing anything but going around and around without any exit and every year/week/hour some of oldies minusing from the community.

its not a flame or start of war just how i feel.

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

eXec 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 16:14:47
#45 ]
Cult Member

@Troels

Quote:

Troels wrote:
@eXec
I could probably run whatever you mention on my wintel box, no need to buy overpriced chinese pc hw that probably won't run what you mention (on their Linux distro) for that.

What's holding you back from running this stuff already, why wait for cusa to actually deliver?

Simply, because I want to ...

That˙s the type of answer that is mostly here presented on every sense
making question... We all know a good old vapor to non vaporware
motto around here....

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 16:15:22
#46 ]
Elite Member

@serk118

If you like AROS then use AROS, I don't go and ask AROS user to quit using AROS, go windows because thats main stream,

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Jan-2011 at 04:17 PM.

eXec 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 16:19:40
#47 ]
Cult Member

@cha05e90

Quote:

cha05e90 wrote:
@rebraist

Quote:
Amiga was powerful. Sam isn't powerful

Hm - my SAM is much more powerful than my Amigas.

What a mean reference for a year 2011 and a mbo that costs like 2 normal
full equipped x86 mainboards...

opi 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 17:10:12
#48 ]
Team Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
@Opi, eXec, Linnar, Wraith2021

Its funny that none her knows what Workbench 5 is going to be like, yet there are some people arguing for it like its the 2en coming of Jesus.

Point me to a quote where I say that Workbench 5 is anything. I was just refuting your non-arguments about "some company producing something different". My opinion about CUSA is well known. But that does not side me with "kill unholy x86, license does not make Amiga Amiga! License granted to Hyperion make Sam Amiga!" people. Two sides can be partly wrong.

Last edited by opi on 23-Jan-2011 at 05:13 PM.

marko 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 17:18:02
#49 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@klx300r

Quote:
@WolfToTheMoon

already been over this excercise Leo

So WolfToTheMoon is Leo using another IP?

m4rko.com/AMIGA

amigang 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 17:26:13
#50 ]
Elite Member

@rebraist

Quote:
why is commodore worse than acube or aeon

Commodore USA sent legal threat to OSNews

A-eon sent Cake.

Enough said

Last edited by amigang on 23-Jan-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Last edited by amigang on 23-Jan-2011 at 05:55 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 17:29:26
#51 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

Best comment yet, LOL.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 17:32:26
#52 ]

@thread
I wasn't going to post, and I'll probably just stir up a hornets nest, but I'll try to explain where we're coming from.

I'm sorry to say, but many in the community appear to have short memories. As enthusiasts ourselves, we REALLY tried to support the existing Amiga community projects. We tried to do it your way. We gave Hyperion/A-Eon every opportunity to work with us first, but they cut off communication. So we went to Amiga Inc for the Amiga brand and changed tactics. We planned for AROS to be a secondary OS that we could grow into our main OS, and then Hyperion thwarted our plans with legal saber rattling. Then the Amiga community got all bent out of shape when all community based avenues we had were already exhausted (well even before that, such is the infighting). But in the end, it is for the best, as our plans are now more sensible and even more achievable, as well as cater to a broader audience.

We're not trying to con anyone. We explain quite plainly in our FAQ that we are using Linux. We're not hiding the fact, but we're not calling it Linux any more than Google does Android. Linux, by any objective measurement, is technically and functionally superior in a host of ways to AmigaOS, like it or not. Also, why must something with Amiga in the name, be perpetually 5 or so years behind in hardware and software technology? Is that some sort of badge of honour? That's fine for a hobby I guess, but we feel the Amiga should be more. The Amiga was known as the most kick-ass, bad-ass computer of our youth, and our plans, at worst, will put an Amiga product on par with the top runners. You may not like the approach, but all approaches have their pros and cons, and the only thing at issue are your sensibilities to it.

An Amiga may mean this or that to you, but technically we are the only company with the right to call our new computers an Amiga, or even better, a Commodore Amiga. Could you imagine that happening even a year ago? I'm not saying all that to lord it over anyone, that's just what the world will know it as. As for Workbench, it is a cool name from the Amiga's past, coined by Commodore in the beginning, and we have every right to use it for our OS name if we want to (despite what many may think). It's a fantastic name and one that conjures memories of the original Amiga, as it should be. Our approach marks a new beginning for the Commodore and Amiga brand. A new architecture. A new hope. A new platform worthy of several version bumps. We are not taking anything away from you or anyone. There is yet another "Amiga" choice now that has more chance of bringing in new blood. So why not rejoice? If one or more approaches fails, the other will go on, as it has been with all Amiga-like offshoots. We can all co-exist and even benefit from one-another's efforts, possibly even in unforeseen ways.

Commodore USA probably has the same problem Volkswagon faced when they revived the Beetle. I'm sure there was a small community of classic car enthusiasts saying they should have built it exactly like the original, with a 2 cylinder rear engine and all (or whatever). That's what this Amiga community is really, classic OS enthusiasts, and there is nothing wrong with that. But guess what? We're selling computers that comparatively speaking are aimed more "for the masses, not the classes". Heaven forbid, we try to make a viable business with the Amiga brand. God help us for even trying.

Obviously, the rest of the world isn't into the same things you are or else they'd all be on this forum. People want a superior experience, that just works, and they shouldn't have to settle for less. Why should settling for less be what the Amiga is about? We need a main OS experience that is at least comparable to that of Apple's. And we're not even installing Windows as many still claim!!! Although you can if you want, and why not? I remember running other OSes was a great thing about the Amiga. Some of you guys, as dyed in wool enthusiasts, may be willing to put up with various OS niggles, but you can't expect most in the mainstream to. They couldn't care less about kernels, and endianess, and APIs, and the rest of that kind of technical stuff. Our customers will most likely not even have used an Amiga in ten or more years. Our potential customers will see a screen with a bunch of Windows and cool effects, and loads of recent apps for doing all the things people expect to do these days with little or no compromise. Great! Most people probably wouldn't see any point in running classic Amiga applications from 10+ years ago in this day and age either. It gets old really quickly for a lot of those that do as well. Add to that, that so many of the better AmigaOS apps come from Linux, that you might as well be running Linux. And if you are programmer, the Language and API options on Linux are extensive.

The Amiga community has been in a major state of decline for over ten years and practically all original Amiga computer owners have moved on to x86 PCs. Indeed, many on this very forum have declared the AMIGA dead for several years. Don't pin that on us. We're the last hope for reviving the AMIGA brand. We're trying to pick up the pieces. I sat here cheering Hyperion on for several years, but I still don't see anything that can hold a candle, let alone a torch, to everyday hardware and software at even a semi-decent price point. Sorry, but upon our arrival on the scene, there is only so much damage you can do to a corpse. If we succeed in reviving the Amiga brand in the mainstream, this will be nothing short of a Lazarus miracle event. If you don't want one of our machines that is fine, but why rain on the parade of those that want kick-ass Amiga branded hardware? Because you feel the Amiga is better off dead than on the leading computing architecture of the day? In my book, that's just silly. Practically the entire world is running on x86 now, and if you haven't owned a machine with one lately you're in the vast minority.

I'm sure our machines will run AROS decently as a classic inspired OS, which is improving in leaps and bounds, if our own Workbench efforts aren't to your liking. I know a lot of you use and enjoy Linux too, so it stands to reason that many will enjoy our new Workbench experience also. Run any OS you want. On our machines you can have your cake and eat it too. Run the latest cutting edge games, have an enormous software stack available out of the box, and have more bang for your buck in terms of power than on any PPC offering. Is that not a brighter Amiga future? I think so. So, if you feel you want to go buy a Dell or can find something cheaper at your corner Computer shop, that is fine too, but we're going more for the whole experience, in hopefully a similar vein as Apple. We won't ever get everything perfect, but we're trying really hard for a unique experience that former and future Amigans can be proud of.

(edits are minor grammatical errors)

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 23-Jan-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 23-Jan-2011 at 05:45 PM.

eXec 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 17:34:45
#53 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

Quote:

amigang wrote:
@rebraist

Quote:
why is commodore worse than acube or aeon

Commodore USA sent legal threat to OSNews

A-eon sent Cake.

Enough said.

Threat?

Os News?

Is that the site where the main guy says that the pink coloured PS2 is the
best selling computer of all time?

number6 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 17:39:04
#54 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
As for Workbench, it is a cool name from the Amiga's past, coined by Commodore in the beginning, and we have every right to use it for our OS name if we want to (despite what many may think).

ok, but let's be honest. Most people here are not attorneys at law.
We have continual documentation being issued concerning the legal activity between Cloanto and Amiga Inc. over the trademark/name "workbench".

Perhaps if someone explains in simple english where this stands, and why this has no bearing on your using the name...it might help.

Amiga Licensees
And the links therein.

Last edited by number6 on 23-Jan-2011 at 05:42 PM.

eXec 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 17:42:57
#55 ]
Cult Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:
@thread

The Amiga community has been in a major state of decline for over ten years and practically all original Amiga computer owners have moved on to x86 PCs. Indeed, many on this very forum have declared the AMIGA dead for several years. Don't pin that on us. We're the last hope for reviving AMIGA brand. We're trying to pick up the pieces. I sat here cheering Hyperion on for several years, but I still don't see anything that can hold a candle, let alone a torch, to everyday hardware and software at even a semi-decent price point. Sorry, but upon our arrival on the scene, there is only so much damage you can do to a corpse. If we succeed in reviving the Amiga brand in the mainstream, this will be nothing short of a Lazarus miracle event. If you don't want one of our machines that is fine, but why rain on the parade of those that want kick-ass Amiga branded hardware? Because you feel the Amiga is better off dead than on the leading computing architecture of the day? In my book, that's just silly. Practically the entire world is running on x86 now, and if you haven't owned an x86 machine with one lately you're in the vast minority.

Leo, it`s all about jealousy. You have the Amiga name , you have the vision... What do they have? :) Simply as the mushroom soup... ;)

I edited my comment because I did not mean to offend anyone.
Some people are pulling the invisible words and metaphors out of the pure context,
what has no official fundamental base in a way of the normal human communication.
We can not judge the sentences and the written text on the way it is interpreted
in our own brain. It should be understood on the way author himself wrote it.
If the people would even try to communicate in the way of their free conclusions,
without even to ask for a explanation of the author himself, that would represent a great
threat in the common understanding.

Last edited by eXec on 24-Jan-2011 at 03:29 AM.

serk118 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 17:52:46
#56 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
If you like AROS then use AROS,

i am using AROS because its on x86 hw.

Quote:
I don't go and ask AROS user to quit using AROS,

you got me wrong i never ask you to leave amigaos4 and use aros but i like to see os4 on x86
hw.

Quote:
go windows because thats main stream,

i am an longtime amiga user and just like most i might have to use windoz at some point because
i/we have to.

dont get me wrong @NutsAboutAmiga because i like to see amiga a daylight again and i am not old
and i dont want see amiga godown the sink because we went for some kind of hw that is expensive
and you cant expect devs to buy ppc hw to develop but they can buy os4 and develop for it and we always be there what ever happens but there are lot of x amiga users using windows and wont buy the ppc hw but will buy the os and dual boot or just use os4 but will develop and more users will add up.

i love os4/morphos/aros and i dont see anything wrong for asking x86 version because i want to use os4/morphos on todays x86 hw.

and as i said how i feel and i dont expect anyone to change and i do respect how you feel if some did said use windoz instead of aros/os4/morphos.

i am sorry @NutsAboutAmiga if you are Offended by how i feel and think and what i said here as next amigan.

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

BobW 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 17:55:29
#57 ]

@BigBentheAussie

I wish you guys the best but I won't be buying one. It holds no interest for me other than maybe the Commodore/Amiga badge. In a way that would be kind of cool but honestly just sell the badges and I'd buy one to stick on my A1.

First Linux. I love Linux. It's my primary machine at work. It's my OS of choice for servers. I have no interest in yet another Linux distro. Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora and CentOS have me covered. Just because it's named Workbench means nothing to me. I might download an Amiga inspired linux distro for free but I'm sure not going to pay fo it.

As far as the C64 goes that just seems like a really bad idea. i have fond memories of my 64 but I also remember how awful the ergonomics were. If I want to relive the retro feeling I'll bust out my C120 or A1200 and play some hames with a joystick. If I want to use a computer I'll stick to my iMac.

That A1000 inspired case holds no interest as well. That form factor just doesn't make sense any more. A flat panel sitting on top of that is just going to look stupid. The only place where it will be at home is under my TV.

If you want to use the Commodore/Amiga name then do something inspired. Come up with something new. Don't just release crap like you have shown so far.

BobW 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 17:58:08
#58 ]

@eXec

Quote:
Leo, it`s all about jealousy. You have the Amiga name , you have the vision... What do they have? Vaporware... :) Simply as the mushroom soup... ;)

Last I checked all Commodore has is Vaporware. Has that changed?

zerohero 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 17:59:48
#59 ]
Team Member

@eXec

Quote:
Leo, it`s all about jealousy. You have the Amiga name , you have the vision... What do they have? Vaporware... :) Simply as the mushroom soup... ;)

I suggest you change your tone of voice, the "up in the face"-attitude won't work. Consider this an official warning.

Regards,
Joachim Birging

AmigaWorld.Net staff

klx300r 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 18:01:26
#60 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Leo, I really want to give you guys the benefit of the doubt here BUT why did you guys not support any existing community bounites or at least donate some money to any of the Amiga shows to date ??? you say you have a 30 million budget right?

your ceo makes ignoramous comments about not catering to 'the existing Amiga community'??? then who the hell are you selling to?? again younger generations don't give a crap about commodore stickers or references to Workbench !

also Leo, you know the bad blood around here with anything related to AI right. Why the Workbench '5' and not Workbench 2011 for example?? a marketing ploy to confuse old amigans temporarily perhaps during initial internet searches??

What have those sheysters at AI done for our community??? now what has CUSA done so far for it??? see a pattern

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle