Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 152 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 CosmosUnivers:  12 mins ago
 A1200:  41 mins ago
 pixie:  51 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 37 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 54 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 56 mins ago
 bhabbott:  4 hrs 25 mins ago
 jPV:  5 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Poll : What do you think we should do with CUSA posts?
Let them be all the time .... CUSA has Amiga name, I like it and other reasons
It should be discussed after the product is realised
It shouldn`t be promoted at all at AW.net
Every user that promotes it against other Amigas should get abuse points

PosterThread
number6 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 16:51:51
#301 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
We communicated with A-Eon/Hyperion, MorphOS team and AROS Devs about possibilities. We even tried to do AROS before that avenue got blocked. We can only do what we are allowed to legally and there is no point blaming us for restrictions imposed on us by others.

Perhaps if and when a successful negotiation with Pluritas takes place, things might change on that one front.

Profile     Report this post  
DAX 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 16:53:24
#302 ]
Elite Member

@Arko
Quote:
If A1X1K + AOS4 could compete with CUSA's Amigas you should not worry about CUSA announcing here,

Cusa cannot compete with Hyperion/Aeon because they have no Amiga to talk about, I will have to quote myself here:

Consider a soccer player that wants to be great: you either decide to train yourself and grow (ie:improve and evolve the OS) or secretly open David Beckam's locker, put a sticker with your name on his shirt and then enjoy the match on tv all satisfied that some unsuspecting TV watcher will mistake those assists for your own.

The latter is the "amiga" you get when all you have is a PC with a camouflaged version of gnome.

Quote:
if not, it might be better for the "Amiga community" to switch to CUSA.

And why? Because of potential success or sales? Success or units sold, are not technologies.
If Cusa gives us an Amiga, then they are welcome, if they give us a PC with a camouflaged version of gnome, they can keep it.

DAX 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 16:54:38
#303 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie
Can you tell us what you offered them to do together?

number6 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 16:56:17
#304 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Here's the point he's trying to make.
When he reads this:

Quote:
@eliyahu
Man, at least decent and constructive post among this hostile environment!

You give the impression you are in total agreement and accept this as a sound advice.

But then, you go 180° the other way with:

Quote:
Hopefully things will calm down and PPC blood seeking warriors will accept

To the casual reader, this equates to "I fully accept your advice but have no desire to practice it myself"

Arko 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 17:09:44
#305 ]

@DAX

Quote:

DAX wrote:
@Arko
Quote:
If A1X1K + AOS4 could compete with CUSA's Amigas you should not worry about CUSA announcing here,

Cusa cannot compete with Hyperion/Aeon ...

Fine, so you don't have to worry about them doing some announcements here.

Quote:

Quote:
if not, it might be better for the "Amiga community" to switch to CUSA.

And why?

Because if CUSA delivers the better Amiga experience, to more people, the way it was done before was wrong.

Quote:

Because of potential success or sales?

Yes of course, if they sell better, it means their way doing "Amiga" is better than others. Most users poll with their orders and not by in an online forum

Last edited by Arko on 08-Feb-2011 at 08:17 AM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

DAX 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 17:43:15
#306 ]
Elite Member

@Arko
You have a hard time discerning the difference between a technology and the word "sales".
They could sell a decent number of keyboard cased PCs to those that cling for those things (and that will install MS windows on them worry not), and you are still NOT Amiga.

Let me clarify what sales means:
Definition:
Total amount collected for goods and services provided. While payment is not necessary for recognition of sales on company financial statements, there are strict accounting guidelines stating when sales can be recognized. The basic principle is that a sale can only be recognized when the transaction is already realized, or can be quite easily realized. This means that the company should have already received a payment, or the chances of receiving a payment is high. In addition, delivery of the good or service should have taken place for the sale to be recognized.

I hope you do realize that even if you have good sales A PC with a camouflaged version of gnome will always be a PC with a camouflaged version of gnome.

And as I said I have nothing against Cusa or Hyperion and Cusa joining forces, YOU seem not to like the idea, but BigBen says otherwise as they contacted them.
Thus I am waiting for BigBenTheAussie reply on my previous question: what exactly did they propose them?

number6 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 17:46:29
#307 ]
Elite Member

@DAX

Quote:
Thus I am waiting for BigBenTheAussie reply on my previous question: what exactly did they propose them?

cases.

Try post #43 this thread for more.

Last edited by number6 on 07-Feb-2011 at 05:48 PM.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 18:05:29
#308 ]

@DAX

Quote:
what exactly did they propose them?

It would not be appropriate for me to divulge the intricate details of what was discussed so I wont. I know that won't be good enough for you but breaking confidentiality is not my thing.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 07-Feb-2011 at 06:10 PM.

DAX 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 18:10:00
#309 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie
Ok then, allow me make a wild guess (what I would like )

You contacted them and said: "since we have all these money to invest we can build a PPC machine which is both powerful and affordable. We'll call it Commodore Amiga 5000 and you will provide the OS, what do you say?" or something along those lines...

Ok, even if that wasn't the proposal you're still in time!

number6 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 18:10:55
#310 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
It would not be appropriate for me to say so I wont.

Details? sure.

But Post #116
is already public information, so you can point to that I should think.

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 18:13:41
#311 ]

@DAX

Quote:
Ok, even if that wasn't the proposal you're still in time!

True. We've still got an A4000x to do before we get to the Amiga 5000x.
We're not the ones ruling out cooperation in future where it makes sense.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 07-Feb-2011 at 06:14 PM.

Mechanic 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 18:18:15
#312 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:

BigBentheAussie wrote:

We even tried to do AROS before that avenue got blocked. We can only do what we are allowed to legally and there is no point blaming us for restrictions imposed on us by others. We are not the evil enemy as much as you try to portray us as that.

If you have IP it is your responsibility to vigorously protect it. You can
not pick and choose when you will protect it, and still have control over it.

Point being, it is the legal system that demands the restrictions, not companies
or individuals.

You can't have your cake and let others eat it too.

At least that's the way I see it, as it is today.

number6 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 18:18:54
#313 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
We're not the ones ruling out cooperation in future where it makes sense.

Then by that statement you are assuming that your last attempt at co-operation is portent of all future contact? Don't.
If people's income was based on every correct future prediction in amigaland, we'd have another downturn in the worldwide economy.

DAX 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 18:30:34
#314 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie
Glad to hear that, but how do you differentiate between such a product and previous models? I mean one runs the binary compatible "Nth" evolution of the AmigaOperatingSystem, the former use an incompatible OS, a gnome distro which "hints" at Amiga.
Customers might get confused.

Now the question would be, what are you goonna tell your potential customers about x86 machines? They they are just "inspired" by Amiga, or that they are the new authentic Amigas?

If someone asks about AmigaOS4 how would you describe it to them? You cannot dismiss it or such future cooperations (with Hyperion I mean) would not come easily then (if at all).

If there will ever be cooperation the seeds should be laid earlier on in order to pave an easy road to follow.
You cannot ingore each other (or worse) and then cooperate later on, it would become an impossible thing by then...

BigBentheAussie 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 18:47:32
#315 ]

@DAX

Quote:
You cannot ingore each other (or worse) and then cooperate later on, it would become an impossible thing by then..

Could be, but there is more than one way to skin a cat. (edit: that was not an AROS jibe)
We could just as easily port Workbench 6 to PPC and dual boot AmigaOS.
Or AmigaOS and Workbench 6 could run simultaneously through some sort of hypervisor.
Or they could port AmigaOS to x86 and have the option of Workbench 6 as dual boot or maybe even in a hypervisor mode.
I'd prefer the latter to get AmigaOS on our 5+Ghz hardware and we're only going to support a limited set of mobos anyway.
Hyperion could even speed that process up by using AROS as a base and add proprietary extensions. The AROS devs would probably even be okay with it.
Another option might be presented via an initial PPC emulation on x86, with calls to native routines later.
The question is, what approach is going to bring Hyperion the most revenue in the end.
Staying on PPC with us potentially selling their equipment, or going over to x86 and potentially working with us.
Note, that I am neither confirming nor denying that any of this was discussed.
I wasn't present at the discussions anyway.
I am not sure if any of the above makes business sense for any party either.
Honestly though, how hard is it to download AROS and get most of the functionality of AmigaOS anyway.
Down the track AROS will advance, and our Workbench X will also.
Doing all this now or later is a tough thing for either party to justify and no matter what anyone does there'll always be complaints.

Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 07-Feb-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 07-Feb-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 07-Feb-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 07-Feb-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 07-Feb-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 07-Feb-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Last edited by BigBentheAussie on 07-Feb-2011 at 06:48 PM.

number6 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 18:48:08
#316 ]
Elite Member

@DAX

Quote:
If there will ever be cooperation the seeds should be laid earlier on in order to pave an easy road to follow.

I almost don't want to respond to this.
It's all about the actual words used, not to mention the specific person contacted.
For example, make yourself out a contact form template with every -major- general category you feel is relevant and requiring discussion.
Now try to enter a name and address to the right of that that corresponds to the topic.
If you don't see a problem, then you haven't been here long enough.

bison 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 21:02:53
#317 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
True, everything but direct democracy in Greek style of cities states is just not it, but this time 51% will not decide, but Council of Moderators

Well I like the idea of a "Council of Moderators" -- it sounds like something from a '70s episode of Doctor Who, although I can't place the exact planet (Traken, perhaps).

I wonder if they wear funny hats? I don't imagine the job pays very well, but if they get to wear funny hats, that might make up for it.

BigD 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 21:21:20
#318 ]
Elite Member

@BigBentheAussie

Quote:
We could just as easily port Workbench 6 to PPC and dual boot AmigaOS. Or AmigaOS and Workbench 6 could run simultaneously through some sort of hypervisor. Or they could port AmigaOS to x86 and have the option of Workbench 6 as dual boot or maybe even in a hypervisor mode.

I stand by my poll answer; there simply isn't any point allowing C=USA discussions until Workbench OS is a reality or they have C= Amiga hardware on sale. All C=USA AMIGA stuff is currently vapourware and highly inflammatory vapourware at that. It should not be directly compared to AmigaOS as it is likely to be a Linux kernel with an emulation layer at best! I wager the C= Amiga machine if it ever sees the light of day, will just as likely run DosBox versions of old Amiga games - NOT INTERESTING AND DAMAGING TO THIS WEBSITE!!!

Arko 
Posted on 7-Feb-2011 21:44:43
#319 ]

@DAX

Quote:

DAX wrote:
@Arko
You have a hard time discerning the difference between a technology and the word "sales".

Wrong ! I know the difference between technology and sales, at the end it is only "sales" that counts.

If you where interested in technology you could have Linux, or any other professional Unix, some people still say Apollo was one of the best networking OSes, other people liked VMS.
If it was for technology you would have not used AmigaOS4, maybe MorphOS that attracted a lot of the system developers we knew from AOS3, maybe BeOS, maybe you would be in the Natami Team maybe you would own a successor of the Minimig.

At the end only sales counts, if people are satisfied with an x86 Linux looking like Workbench 1.3 and some preinstalled emulators and classic games, then all this work on technology was a waste.

If CUSA's Amigas find much more customers than all the other PPC AmigaOIDs we have to accept the new users as "Amigans" and they might call us the ones without "real Amigas" and the losers without success.

Last edited by Arko on 07-Feb-2011 at 09:48 PM.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

BigD 
Posted on 8-Feb-2011 0:10:32
#320 ]
Elite Member

@Arko

Quote:
If CUSA's Amigas find much more customers than all the other PPC AmigaOIDs we have to accept the new users as "Amigans" and they might call us the ones without "real Amigas" and the losers without success.

How likely is that? Just because the machines are called Commodore Amigas rather than AmigaOnes won't bring the hoards back. A-Eon and Hyperion are making real products. Heck C=USA don't even have a functioning website the last time I checked!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle