Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 138 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

pavlor,  OlafS25,  Matt3k

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  20 secs ago
 Matt3k:  36 secs ago
 OlafS25:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  28 mins ago
 zipper:  28 mins ago
 Hypex:  42 mins ago
 jPV:  44 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 hannana:  1 hr 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
g_kraszewski 
Re: Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 12:53:54
#301 ]

@vox

Since OS4 has better hardware situation

I can't see in which way it is better. Samamtha series is heavily overpriced. X1000 is even more overpriced, breaking the threshold of common sense, and still not publicly available, 2 years after announced. The netbook is vapourware for now + seriously underpowered, if MPC5121e rumours will turn to be true.

On MorphOS you have a vide choice of hardware, produced in millions by well estabilished and known hardware company. It is available at very moderate prices. Available models are more powerful than Sam 440/460. At the end of year a real laptop will be added to the range of MorphOS hardware.

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 13:38:29
#302 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:
I didn’t know you can have shortcuts in Amidock. Anyway, what if you want a quick access to all directories at once?

It as simple as drag and drop the drawer on Amidock,

Quote:
You can also remove drive icons from the desktop

Use workbench prefs, to hide volumes you don't like to be displayed.

Quote:
leave out its icon onto Workbench it wont be shown in its original path

Simple solution don't use leave out, use Amidock when like to have access to drawers or assigns.

Quote:
I always thought it was done using external software.

Unarc is started when you click on a compressed file, not too unlike WinRAR

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Nov-2011 at 01:42 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 13:46:27
#303 ]
Elite Member

@g_kraszewski

Its not about quality of hardware

its about securing a future for continued hardware development for the Amiga platform something a lot more important.

We should not fight over hardware we should join forces and bring the price down on new hardware.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 12-Nov-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 13:55:40
# ]

@Tomppeli

Quote:
??? I don't get the point of the 2nd last picture and complaint. If one wants a quick access to the one of directories then just "Leave out" its icon onto Workbench. Or add it to AmiDock.

There's lots of Assigns you access regularly that you might not want an icon for, much less put on your desktop, eg. S: or ENVARC:

One of the things I like about Amiga and Amiga-like OSes, is the 'Volumes' button in file-requesters. It's an efficient way of getting to places. If you use that feature yourself, isn't having the same thing in Workbench the logical extension? I hope AROS gets it, I must say.

Quote:
Maybe people likes AmigaOS better or finds it better.

AmigaOS 4 is part of a lineage that once had millions of users, so lapsed Amiga users are Hyperion's audience to win or lose.

MorphOS has zero public recognition outside of hardcore Amiga circles and people don't have the same emotional connection to it. OS4 fans are rightly proud of their unique heritage - it's a tremendous boost that MorphOS can never have. I think this is the big thing, not features and nuances.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 12-Nov-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Report this post  
Antique 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 13:56:01
#305 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I see this all the time, joining forces... Much talk, and no action.

Anonymous 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 14:10:55
# ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
We should not fight over hardware we should join forces and bring the price down on new hardware.

No offense, but what you're suggesting is MorphOS change their plans to accommodate OS4's vision and I don't think that's really fair. EDIT: I completely agree with not fighting.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 12-Nov-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Last edited by clebin on 12-Nov-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 14:31:20
#307 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?

Quote:
I really want to read some objective answers (without all of the usual fighting and slamming of one side or the other)

Just my opinion Dave, but I really think you have to limit responses to those who have joined in the post-lawsuit era.
Reason? Only since then exists a clearer outline as to direction each company/group is taking -based- on the settlement. Any data you acquire from users prior to that is just based on clouded judgment as to what the future might hold.

In my case, for example, one gauge presented to me on how to make a choice was strictly based on who my dealer thought might "prevail" or "direct" things longer term. 7 years later...that's not valid data for your survey.

redrumloa 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 15:11:35
#308 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

Quote:
Why does there seem to be more OS4 users than MorphOS users?

16 pages and only now am I diving in! These type of conversations are powder kegs, but after 16 pages this thread isn't closed so I guess people are being open and polite.

A lot of people will buy an OS4 related system simply for nostalgia. They think buying an OS4 related system somehow keeps "the Amiga spirit" alive. I have a couple of friends who are like this. They will buy anything "Amiga" branded or "Amigaone" branded the very day it is available. At least one friend in particular told me that he almost never uses what he buys anymore, it is more about collecting. When I ask him about MorphOS, he will say straight up he isn't interested because of the brand name.

I think everyone here is probably here partially for nostalgia, which includes MorphOS, AROS, classic and emulator users too. I think most people understand it is a hobby and the original Amiga was the starting point. It seems a (small?) percentage of OS4 users don't want to accept nostalgia as a reason or that OS4 is a hobby. Some seem to genuinely believe OS4 will cause the "Amiga" to be reborn as a competitor to Apple and Microsoft one day.

$225 total spent!

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 15:14:37
#309 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

securing a future for continued hardware development for the Amiga platform

It is pointless and leads nowhere. AmigaOS 4 either will jump into some mainstream (be it new or a few years old) hardware, or will fade out. Such a way made sense with original Amiga, when it really was on the technology edge. Now even X1000 offers no innovation and in terms of mainstream technology it is outdated before ever being publicly released.

we should join forces and bring the price down on new hardware

How can you bring the X1000 price down?

wawa 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 15:56:53
#310 ]
Elite Member

@g_kraszewski

Quote:

we should join forces and bring the price down on new hardware

How can you bring the X1000 price down?

especially assuming this was even an intention of the vendors who can actually almost dictate the prices, as there is almost no alternatives, and who do make quite a use of this possibility as we speak.

vox 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 15:58:21
#311 ]
Elite Member

@g_kraszewski

Quote:
I can't see in which way it is better. Samamtha series is heavily overpriced. X1000 is even more overpriced, breaking the threshold of common sense, and still not publicly available, 2 years after announced. The netbook is vapourware for now + seriously underpowered, if MPC5121e rumours will turn to be true. On MorphOS you have a vide choice of hardware, produced in millions by well estabilished and known hardware company. It is available at very moderate prices. Available models are more powerful than Sam 440/460. At the end of year a real laptop will be added to the range of MorphOS hardware.

X1000 is almost out now - with all delays mentioned, and SAMs are avail. Yes prices are not cheap, but comes with small volumes. Sadly MOS no longer has hardware backup company. SAMs price is not skyrocking from how much Peg2 or A1XE used to cost, its its performance that is a bit more pain. Net top will be done next year, so it`s not anyway near.

OK, judge it as you like, but OS4 is in far better position with hardware then it used to be in Eyetech times and specially after it. In my eyes, its better situation is because hardware is new, will least longer as produced more cently and enjoys a company that supports it. Off course, MacMinis and other PPC Macs enjoy ability to run MacOS X which is quite important.

While using PPC Macs is survival strategy, that is not bringing any new hardware to the table.

wawa 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 15:59:36
#312 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

since when complaints about prices are directed at the customers? please reconsider whom you are talking to and direct your requests at those in charge.

wawa 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 16:09:10
#313 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

X1000 is almost out now - with all delays mentioned

with all delays mentioned, id like to observe, that the current promise to ship x1k before the end of the year might occure to be as realistic as the promise to ship before summer two years ago. in this scope lets hope x1k is going to ship at all, before im going to be shipped to a local graveyard.

vox 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 16:10:37
#314 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
especially assuming this was even an intention of the vendors who can actually almost dictate the prices, as there is almost no alternatives, and who do make quite a use of this possibility as we speak.

Tricky part is that only way to decrease the prices - are increased sales at current prices and demand for new higher volume at lower cost

vox 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 16:13:21
#315 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
with all delays mentioned, id like to observe, that the current promise to ship x1k before the end of the year might occure to be as realistic as the promise to ship before summer two years ago. in this scope lets hope x1k is going to ship at all, before im going to be shipped to a local graveyard.

Wouldn`t be that evil. Board is finally produced, beta testing is extensive and they decide to have it shipped with OS 4.1 update 5 instead of waiting for OS 4.2

So everything should be done about Xmas time. Off course, this is limited volume as more people will try to get it when software really starts to use it. Its extreme price is the only obstacle, but we already know, there are people willing to sacrifice to have hiigh end Amiga. Conpared to X1000 price level, SAM 460 seems properly positioned and not that expensive (it even has much better price / performance then SAM 440)

HenryCase 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 16:19:47
#316 ]
Cult Member

@Antique
Quote:
Antique wrote:
I see this all the time, joining forces... Much talk, and no action.

To move forward in joint action, you must first start with a position of respect. Seeing as some users do not have this respect, talking is the appropriate 'action' to correct this.

Besides, there has been some (limited) collaboration between the different camps already, which I can give examples of if you're truly interested.

@g_kraszewski
Quote:
g_kraszewski wrote:
It is pointless and leads nowhere.

Both AmigaOS4 and MorphOS approaches to hardware have merit.

The AmigaOS4 approach to hardware is to support new platforms, so that there's a possibility of more hardware development in the future.

The MorphOS approach to hardware is to support existing platforms, so that the cost of entry is lower, increasing the chances that more people will use it.

In fact, if you think about it, these two approaches to hardware are complimentary when thinking of the Amiga platform as a whole. The MorphOS approach ensures more users can participate now, whereas the AmigaOS approach offers the hope that we have room to grow.

Throw AROS in the mix and you'll see the plan for hardware in the Amiga world is oddly balanced, despite a lack of collaborative planning to get to this state. It's quite reassuring IMO.

wawa 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 16:19:58
#317 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

Tricky part is that only way to decrease the prices - are increased sales at current prices and demand for new higher volume at lower cost

too tricky for me to count on that.

but go ahead and buy this stuff if you like, so maybe i will be able to get it for a fraction of the current price.

itix 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 16:21:34
#318 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Quote:

You can also remove drive icons from the desktop

Use workbench prefs, to hide volumes you don't like to be displayed.

Can you still access it from Workbench?

Idea is that the desktop is not cluttered with icons but you can still access all volumes if you have to.

Quote:

Unarc is started when you click on a compressed file, not too unlike WinRAR

OK. And Unarc internally provides some kind of virtual file system so you dont have to unarchive all files everytime. I guess it is OK.

g_kraszewski 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 16:22:52
#319 ]

@vox

Sadly MOS no longer has hardware backup company.

Because it does not need it. Millions of Apple units are better support than A-Eon and ACube are able to provide ever. Repeating that "OS4 if in far better position" does not change that. Look at Linux – it does not have hardware backup company too...

wawa 
Posted on 12-Nov-2011 16:27:34
#320 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

So everything should be done about Xmas time.

wanna bet on that? i wouldnt. let me remind you about this early next year.

Quote:

there are people willing to sacrifice

sacrifice is a good word..

Quote:

Conpared to X1000 price level, SAM 460 seems properly positioned and not that expensive

nice try. following your logic an elephant belongs to the smaller fauna because it is not as big as the whale.

Last edited by wawa on 12-Nov-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle