Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 161 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  6 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  36 mins ago
 klx300r:  45 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 50 mins ago
 amigasociety:  4 hrs 12 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 58 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 15 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 39 mins ago
 number6:  6 hrs 45 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Why this is a derogatory and insulting forum name
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Spirantho 
Re: Why this is a derogatory and insulting forum name
Posted on 27-Dec-2011 19:21:45
#41 ]

@zeke1312

I could tell the difference, it feels different. UAE on a dead-fast PC still feels a bit clunky compared to the real thing.
Then you've got stuttering sound quite often when the hostOS does something unexpected, you have latency from input to feedback, you have lack of the proper disk drive (if you're emulating a classic), occasionally jerky graphics, etc. etc.

Even with that, emulation always just feels different. I can't speak for you, but I really can tell the difference.

And that's not even starting on the fact that UAE is nowhere near as fast as a modern Amiga. We're pushing 2GHz with RadeonHD graphics, even with SMP soon... I think I can tell the difference between a native AmigaOS system and Linux running an A1200 emulator. :)

Linux is not and never shall be an Amiga any more than it shall be a ZX80 or a Cray Supercomputer. Linux is one operating system, AmigaOS another.

Profile     Report this post  
zeke1312 
Posted on 27-Dec-2011 20:49:49
#42 ]

@Spirantho OK, sounds fair to me. Now so I can understand, what hardware platform does your Amiga use? I'm understanding the "real" Amiga system has not been manufactured for several years. Is that correct? What company currently sells and supports both the hardware and the Amiga OS? If I were to purchase a real Amiga A1200 for example, where would I go?

The way I see it, if the real thing is available for a fair price, that would seem to be the direction for me to go.

I need to understand both sides of the "issue" in order to make an informed decision. Thank you

CritAnime 
Posted on 27-Dec-2011 22:01:56
#43 ]
Cult Member

@zeke1312 easy simply go to AmigaKit and get one from them. While your at it how about browsing all the other Amiga products they have..... CUSA really aren't the only company trying to sell Amiga stuff.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

zeke1312 
Posted on 28-Dec-2011 1:35:58
#44 ]

@CritAnime
Looks like they only carry A1200. The video is PAL. The A1200 is the machine I want, but the video thing...... What types of I/Os? 120gb hard disk? What else to get an A1200 that has good Internet speed, great color and sound I didn't see if the A1200 in question connects to 120 AC source.

Spirantho 
Posted on 28-Dec-2011 8:33:43
#45 ]

@zeke1312

This is all getting terribly OT now, may be best to start a new thread.

What you need to do though is ask yourself what you want from an Amiga.
If you want to run classic Amiga games, you need at least an A1200. If you want to run a modern version of AmigaOS, you need a Sam 440 or above, which doesn't support games directly (it uses UAE to emulate the custom chips) but does run AmigaOS software directly, and so feels like an Amiga in a way Linux never could.
For myself, I have an AmigaOne with an 800MHz PowerPC G4 (1GB RAM, RadeonHD) and a Sam 440ep at 600MHz (which still feels really fast compared to much faster Linux boxes), and my A4000 has AmigaOS 4.0 too.

It's recommend starting a new thread now, but feel free to pm me if you need to know more. I only really know about the official AmigaOS path, though, other people know more about AROS and MorphOS which are both Amiga-like systems.

One thing is sure though, all these options have Amiga DNA running through them; a PC running Linux is just a pale imitation, no matter what sticker they have on them.

Hope that helps!

CritAnime 
Posted on 28-Dec-2011 12:03:29
#46 ]
Cult Member

@Spirantho

Agreed. If you want help with a 1200 and what to do then I am more than happy to help. Just start a new thread or PM me and I am sure we can get you started with something. But I think we have gone through the emulation side of things enough now.

It has it's uses, it's a handy tool to have, but it just doesn't quite have that real Amiga feel. It's hard to explain but it's something you feel rather than fully understand.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle