Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 148 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  20 mins ago
 Hypex:  28 mins ago
 AndreasM:  29 mins ago
 kolla:  37 mins ago
 Gunnar:  49 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  2 hrs 17 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Tester for Aros 68k Distribution wanted
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: Tester for Aros 68k Distribution wanted
Posted on 6-Mar-2012 23:42:00
#121 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

Thanks, I was wondering how this runs

I think its easy to see from the video that a full installation of AROS on a NatAmi is not a realistic combination, I guess the AROS rom's alone are ok if they are 100% AmigaOS compatible and not too slow.

i wouldnt bet on it;P..

Profile     Report this post  
terminills 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 0:32:25
#122 ]
AROS Core Developer

@wawa

Quote:
is that an excuse for aros being magnitudes slower than original amiga os on the same hardware? as you may have noticed aros68k have alerady contributed to optimizations of all aros platforms. no reason not to take it further. aros is the slowest of amiga-ng solutions at the moment, while it might not reach aos levels due to hal, it surely can be fast enough to run on 68k hardware reliably.

I'm pretty sure both Toni and Jason are looking into optimizing it much further than it is currently.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Franko 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 0:52:48
#123 ]
Elite Member

Well it's up and running just now on an A1200 with 060 and I have to say taking into account it's current stage of development it's pretty nippy and actually usable on an 060...

The videos going to have to wait a wee bit until I sort some things out here that are causing problems, these are relatively simple to fix and will make the final video a bit more fair towards AROS as a result...

The biggest problems just now I've found are... those giant sized icons, the slightest movement of them because of their size is causing them to be copied into other drawers simply because there is no free space to move them on a standard Amiga screen, easy enough fix, I'll just give them proper sized ones...

The problem I had with the scrollbars in windows not working has been figured out and is down to (i have to say very silly mistake by whomever drew the mouse pointer) in that, the "hot spot" of the mouse pointer isn't actually on the mouse pointer itself, it's been set in "empty space" 6 pixels to the left of the mouse pointer. So when you point the mouse at something and click (like the scrollbars) your not actually clicking on the scrollbar... tut... tut...

So to make things a bit more fair this time and show how it really can work on an 060, I'll change the icons to a decent size for the bog standard "default" Amiga screen mode and fix the pointer so that it's hot spot is where it should be...

Of course Aros is far from complete but I've just had it running an HD sector editor program "DPU" (Disk Peek & Update) and it performed just as well as my 3.1 roms with 060...

Hopefully the developers will find some use from my comments here and these tests and more I intend to do will be useful to them, just wanna ask them though, please consider the icon sizes etc... if you want folk to test them on real Amiga hardware...

Cheers...

Franko

wawa 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 1:14:50
#124 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:

The biggest problems just now I've found are... those giant sized icons, the slightest movement of them because of their size is causing them to be copied into other drawers simply because there is no free space to move them on a standard Amiga screen, easy enough fix, I'll just give them proper sized ones...

this is annoying me as hell too. wish it be fixed soon. in the meantime wanderer is hardly usable as file manager, you always happen to copy some files just by accident and stuff..
also the hot spot of the mouse pointer isnt well adjusted, but the hotspot is strangely set differently on different resolutions.

franko, to manage the files you can just take dopus4 or similar, except doscontrol most such filemanagers already work well on aros.
you can also run stuff from the shell. aros shell is more comfortable than the original amiga one. using it is currently much more dependable and snappy than wanderer.
Quote:

Of course Aros is far from complete but I've just had it running an HD sector editor program "DPU" (Disk Peek & Update) and it performed just as well as my 3.1 roms with 060...

thats what i told you, the programs themselves run with similar speed as on aos, its wanderer that is slow, apart prehaps of some system functions that are in this case not called too frequently.

Quote:

Hopefully the developers will find some use from my comments here and these tests and more I intend to do will be useful to them, just wanna ask them though, please consider the icon sizes etc... if you want folk to test them on real Amiga hardware...

i hope so too, as these few annoyances are exactly the same i would name as priority to be fixed.

Last edited by wawa on 07-Mar-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Last edited by wawa on 07-Mar-2012 at 01:16 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 9:18:20
#125 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

thank you for your effort. I am looking forward to see your new video (with or without your voice )

serk118 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 9:31:05
#126 ]
Cult Member

@Franko

Thanks for the video and it booted so thats the main thing.....

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

wawa 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 10:47:18
#127 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

olaf, about the icons, do you have a full set, examples or screenshots to see anywhere? if its looking good and the license is acceptable for aros maybe it could be made default icon set for aros68k?

there was proposal to have settings for scaling icons (like scaling them down 1/2) but it has not been aimed at yet. i would welcome such a feature very much. os4 and aros icons are so big in comparison to 3.x , it looks like nursery!

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 10:59:27
#128 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I use these. They were published on aminet:
http://aminet.net/package/pix/gicon/PS-GlowIcons

Example (Prefs):
http://www.natami-news.de/Zuneprefs.png

and some here:
http://www.natami-news.de/Oberflaeche.png

Last edited by OlafS25 on 07-Mar-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 07-Mar-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Franko 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 14:36:01
#129 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Setting up a new partition based on an 060 and using it show AROS running "properly" on "real" Amiga hardware and set up, gotta say so far I'm rather surprised and impressed at how well it's working for it's current state of development...

Post a video later tonight...

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 14:38:42
#130 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Thank you good to hear positive comments and looking forward to see your new video. You can easily replace icons. Glowicons seem to me best when you want to use it for RTG and PAL.

wawa 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 15:00:52
#131 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

ive seen jason has commited a fix to the aros.elf bootstrap problem on iso. you should now be able to download iso and softkick it as is on real hardware without all that messing i had to mention earlier.

wawa 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 15:07:50
#132 ]
Elite Member

i was going to test scalos as replacement desktop solution but i see it demands at least on class that isnt yet correctly working on aros: textinput.mcc. i might try it later though.

in the meantime, whoever has opus magellan, it is actually working correctly, as is opus4 or filemaster. there is ocassional problem with (not)redrawing the windows which is but not dopus related but rather amiga-hidd or a low memory problem.

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 15:10:10
#133 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I tested DOpus Magellan from Amikit some time ago. It worked but icons was not shown correctly. I think it needs Newicons and does not support other types. I also tested Scalos but it only created a black surface.

For better support Magellan advices Powericons but the patch does not work in Aros 68k (crashes)

Last edited by OlafS25 on 07-Mar-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 07-Mar-2012 at 03:11 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 15:23:05
#134 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I have the permission by Thomas Peterseim that the icons could be used for nightly build (if wanted) and of course for my distribution. What do you say?

wawa 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 16:35:25
#135 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

im not so much in favour of those glow icons stuff, i find it a little kitchy. my preference is something along the looks of magic wb, but it might sure be too orthodox today.

probably anything is better than the current skinning, i only see we do not have a complete replacement, maybe you could open a discussion about it on aros exec and see what they say..

what concerns magellan, i have not noticed any much icon problem, weird..

Last edited by wawa on 07-Mar-2012 at 04:36 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 16:36:30
#136 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I will do...

OlafS25 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 18:07:09
#137 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I got the official answer no changes in the themes of nightly builds...

wawa 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 18:26:05
#138 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

likely one of the devs draws the icons, and although the are not really much loved, he is dependable part of the team an they do not want to disencourage him. sorry, see how it is? but it will be solved eventually, im sure.

Franko 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 18:41:11
#139 ]
Elite Member

@ Olaf & Wawa

Here's what I am currently trying to do but running into a few problems (not easy to explain but I'll try)...

I have set up an A1200 with a Blizzard060 & 4xEDIE interface...

I have installed on the HD a full version of OS3.5 and put the AROS "BOOT" drawer & contents on this...

I added a few lines to the normal StartUp-Sequence that will allow me to on BootUp or a reset make the Amiga install and reboot into AROS just by holding down the left mouse button...

This works to a point but upon successful installation of AROS and it does it's reboot when it executes the startup-sequnce again it halts after a a few lines and doesn't fully carry out the startup-sequence...

It halts just after the lines that creates the Drawers ENV: Clipboards: and T: in RAM:..

I can continue via the cli/shell window to manually type the rest of the Startup-Sequence line by line and finally "LoadWB" to get Workbench up and running which it does so...

There are a few colour problems and graphical glitches (but that's to be expected) but it works for the most part except for these bugs/ errors...

Double clicking the Workbench Icon as usual open up the Workbench drawer and displays the contents (as normal) but if I try to open up any drawers inside it from their icons nothing happens (this is the same for all drawers not just Workbench)...

In a shell window typing "Dir DH0: all" results in an error saying something about a "Cyclic drawer found" and doesn't display any contents as the Dir command should (Dir version 37.5)

Using the Dir command from the distro/ nightly it works as normal...

My question here is, the Dir command that comes with the distro is version 50.8, is this a specially written one for AROS and are all the other "normal" commands in the C: drawer copy, assign etc... specially written versions that have to be used, as if they are then this could be what's causing me problems here using the standard OS 3.1 & 3.5 C: commands...

Any thoughts, hints, tips would be welcome as I'd like to get AROS up and running as best I can under a "Classic" hardware set up just to show what it can do so far...

Cheers

Franko

wawa 
Posted on 7-Mar-2012 19:18:27
#140 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

it is dangerous to mix things up too much as it leads to unpredictable results which reasons are difficult to find. aros isnt *garanteed* to be compatible to jusst *any* aos version to allow to exchange the c commands freely between them. it may work o it may fail. therefore id separate you aros boot completely fom the aos partition and boot independently, as aros expects something like kick3.1 to boot, not 3.5 for instance.

other than that i think file versions above 50.0 might be aros files, but thats just a quick assumption based on something i might have heard and remember wrongly.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle