Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 49 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  5 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  23 mins ago
 SOFISTISOFTWARE:  26 mins ago
 Marcian:  29 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  31 mins ago
 kolla:  38 mins ago
 Hammer:  59 mins ago
 cdimauro:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  They are hitting hard, here
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
sundown 
Re: They are hitting hard, here
Posted on 27-Apr-2012 19:05:09
#81 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

Quote:
Can you please do some benchmakrs on x1000 with linux ?

The beta group has been requested to stay out of posting benchmarks on the forums, but post them in the beta forum. Its been told over & over that the x1000 drivers & s/w are still being optimized & benchmarks are more important for the developers to see so they know what needs work. I'm sure some will make a big deal out of this & expected & its ashame the community has gone so far down hill that information needs to be kept locked up. There has been some nice speedups on the beta systems, if anyone cares.

Personally, I'd like to have open information, but the request from the developers makes sense at this time.

Those with FC systems are free to post banchmarks if they wish, those are public systems after all & the users are not under any obligations to not post benchmarks.

Profile     Report this post  
itix 
Posted on 27-Apr-2012 19:37:16
#82 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

That less people buy Ares than X1000 is simple to explain. You can (more or less) use every PC for Aros (or install it in VMWare). AOS is only installable in a handful (expensive) systems so you have no real choice than to buy a system or drop the platform.

Exactly.

paolone 
Posted on 27-Apr-2012 22:48:42
#83 ]

Quote:

broadblues wrote:
@paolone

If his audience is soley the PC users / gamers whatever, then why write an article at all?

Are you kidding? For ages amigans complained about lack of information about the Amiga platform on 'generic' IT sites and magazines, and now that someone writes about the X1000 you start questioning?

Appunti Digitali's audience is NOT "solely the PC users/games whatever", it's a blog about information technologies that covers a wide range of historical and alternative subjects. Moreover, is one of (if not the) best site of this kind. Writers might be bloody sometimes, but they are experts and in general they don't write wrong statements. Cesare, by the way, has been a true Amiga user and lover for years. He does not like what the platform has become and how, should he not express his feelings, just because you don't agree with them?

IMHO, information should be always right and objective. The truth may not be pleasant for the Amiga world, but what Cesare said is the bare truth, nothing more, nothing less.

andres 
Posted on 27-Apr-2012 23:59:58
#84 ]

As I wrote to the author, in my opinion the article is really a bad example of journalism, and it's written with the sole purpose to be polemic.

Home Recording Audio

Zylesea 
Posted on 28-Apr-2012 22:37:26
#85 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:

sundown wrote:
@kas1e

Quote:
Can you please do some benchmakrs on x1000 with linux ?

The beta group has been requested to stay out of posting benchmarks on the forums, but post them in the beta forum. Its been told over & over that the x1000 drivers & s/w are still being optimized & benchmarks are more important for the developers to see so they know what needs work. I'm sure some will make a big deal out of this & expected & its ashame the community has gone so far down hill that information needs to be kept locked up. There has been some nice speedups on the beta systems, if anyone cares.

Personally, I'd like to have open information, but the request from the developers makes sense at this time.

Those with FC systems are free to post banchmarks if they wish, those are public systems after all & the users are not under any obligations to not post benchmarks.

Wow! But kas1e requested Linux benchmarks and I think a Linux benchmark should be no prob, since Linux should support the X1000 good enough. Otherwise it is complete FAIL...

But beside that, it's IMHO a really poor and lame attitude to try to hide benchmarks. Trust is hard to gain, and such a behaviour doesn't help in that redard.

pavlor 
Posted on 28-Apr-2012 22:38:58
#86 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

Quote:
Otherwise it is complete FAIL...

Waiting too long for MorphOS 3.0?

broadblues 
Posted on 28-Apr-2012 23:18:40
#87 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@paolone

Quote:

IMHO, information should be always right and objective. The truth may not be pleasant for the Amiga world, but what Cesare said is the bare truth, nothing more, nothing less.

The information presented in that blog was neither right (or at least not complete) and the opinions were certainly not objective.

Clearly he falls into class 3 in my list, someone with a grudge.

Seiya 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 20:02:55
#88 ]

Oops, he did it again!

Amiga X1000 prepares for Christmas ...
http://www.appuntidigitali.it/17329/amigaone-x1000-si-prepara-per-il-natale/

Last edited by Seiya on 08-Jun-2012 at 08:04 PM.

PR 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 20:15:13
#89 ]

And who cares but only the true Amigans?

BigD 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 20:28:45
#90 ]
Elite Member

@Seiya

A bit harsh about the XMOS chip's potential but truth be told nobody has shown that it can be useful yet!!

Last edited by BigD on 08-Jun-2012 at 08:29 PM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 8-Jun-2012 20:47:42
#91 ]
Elite Member

I definitely would love to play with xmos I/O from AOS side. Hopefully we see that avalable also for non-x1000 AOS users.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Seiya 
Posted on 25-Aug-2012 9:34:06
#92 ]

new italian articles about X1000

http://www.appuntidigitali.it/17523/cpu-dellx1000-a-1000-amiga-ng-a-un-binario-morto/

pavlor 
Posted on 25-Aug-2012 9:44:33
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Seiya

Quote:
new italian articles about X1000

Same author as in OP, same conclusion.

Edit: His X1000 was probably faulty. I must admire his "passion" for this computer.

Last edited by pavlor on 25-Aug-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Phantom 
Posted on 25-Aug-2012 9:57:55
#94 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

May I disagree with you?

You cannot compare actually these two things. When you write a review of something (either hardware or software) you must have as standard the Amiga platform. When reviewing games or applications you have standards. When you review a game for example for AmigaOS, you don't start comparing it with Assassin's Creed or Red Dead Redemption, but you start comparing with the Amiga standards and only.

If you start to compare everything Amiga-related in general, then always you will end up with no good results, and that's obvious. On the other hand, as sad as it sounds, means that every review in an Amiga magazine must say how this game or application is bad or even worse than a similar pc counterpart as a conclusion.

Will you compare pFTP with CuteFTP Pro for example when writing a review? Will you compare BOH with Alien Breed 3D on PSN? Of course not. They are two different matters. You have to compare with todays Amiga standards and not in general.

itix 
Posted on 25-Aug-2012 10:28:18
#95 ]
Elite Member

@Phantom

Quote:

Will you compare pFTP with CuteFTP Pro for example when writing a review? Will you compare BOH with Alien Breed 3D on PSN? Of course not. They are two different matters. You have to compare with todays Amiga standards and not in general.

Why not? In fact Amiga FTP software compares quite well with CuteFTP. If there is something what CuteFTP does better it is only good to say so because then Amiga developers can improve their software.

Amiga (S)FTP clients are quite good. I have never used pFTP but I have used CuteFTP occasionally so if it is compared to CuteFTP then I know how well it does in general. Comparison to Amiga FTP clients (like AmFTP, ATC and Transfer) is of course appreciated.

Last edited by itix on 25-Aug-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Phantom 
Posted on 25-Aug-2012 10:31:30
#96 ]
Elite Member

@itix

The above comparison was just an example for two similar programs in different platforms and OSes. Of course I use pFTP on my AmigaOS 4.1 system, and I found it very friendly and does the job very well.

mailman2 
Posted on 25-Aug-2012 11:14:24
#97 ]

@Seiya

OHMG

Yet another... deleted by mod... who has a problem with PowerPC.

If only, ...deleted by mod...instead of wasting time on their war against PowerPC, took to improve AROS.

AROS would be much better than it is now.

NOTE FROM MODERATOR:
Personal attacks are not allowed on this forum, and ones of this magnitude are definately out of line regardless of what you think of PPC processors and/or AROS.

Last edited by Darrin on 26-Aug-2012 at 12:19 AM.

paolone 
Posted on 25-Aug-2012 12:11:58
#98 ]

@mailman2

I've just reported your message to the moderators. Calling someone "son of a bitch" on a public forum, moreover for silly or practically no motivation, not only is a clear infrightment of forum's terms of use, but a crime. We call it diffamazione, since you seem to like Italian so bad.

paolone 
Posted on 25-Aug-2012 12:26:43
#99 ]

@Phantom

Quote:
You cannot compare actually these two things. When you write a review of something (either hardware or software) you must have as standard the Amiga platform. When reviewing games or applications you have standards. When you review a game for example for AmigaOS, you don't start comparing it with Assassin's Creed or Red Dead Redemption, but you start comparing with the Amiga standards and only. If you start to compare everything Amiga-related in general, then always you will end up with no good results, and that's obvious. On the other hand, as sad as it sounds, means that every review in an Amiga magazine must say how this game or application is bad or even worse than a similar pc counterpart as a conclusion.

Well, no.

There is a difference, you see. Think about being not in the IT market, but in a talent show. This show is open for any age, and there are different contenders. They are not divided into age ranges, they race against each other. It happens that between them there is a kid aged 8 which sings enough well, but not so well. He's so cute with his little young voices and his song is right for his age... but adults, all adults, are more skilled and perform actually better: who should get the prize? Maybe that boy would have easily won in a kid contest, but in a mixed free-for-any-age contest he has no chances.

X1000 situation is quite like the little kid's one. He has not the strength to fight with the others because it performs lesser, it costs more, it's incomplete from the software point of view... BUT it is sold in the same market and it is paid with the SAME money (dollars and euros, yen and so on) which are used for any other computer.

Appunti Digitali is like the open-for-all talent show. It doesn't matter if your name is Commodore, Apple, ASUS or A-Eon, there are objective parameters you should satrisfy to be treated as a 'good' product. On the contrary, you will be treated as a 'bad' one. You can't pretend every talent show is open for kids only, nor that the judges should make any favour to one just because the kid is your friend's son. You can't pretend every IT site should forget about benchmarks, price/performance ratio and absolute lack of available applications, and just say the X1000 is good to do a favour.

Furthermore, Cesare's observations against the X1000 are quite right. Just look at them from the average Joe's perspective, and tell him why he should buy one.

Phantom 
Posted on 25-Aug-2012 12:41:15
#100 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

When you have a generic audience, yes I'll agree with you on this one. But again, it's just only a review and as usual it doesn't represent the entire AmigaOne X1000 audience. Or to say it better, it's entirely his opinion of view. If this opinion is true or false that's something else. Only the audience or readers will judge this.

When this comes to Amiga-land, things change of course as you can easily imagine, as its base of interest is entirely to Amiga users. Thus, the AmigaOne X1000 computer today is the fastest next-gen Amiga ever produced (in terms of our land), but that doesn't mean it's the best. For others, yes, I'll agree with you, but not entirely with the above review. When you judge something, I believe that you must also have 'literacy' of using AmigaOS through-out the years, or at least you have use Amigas in your life (and I don't know if this italian guy did that).

But again, I never cared about reviews, they just scratch the surface. For me it's what I want, and want I like. If I like it I'll buy it, whatever the others say. If all people around the globe have the same thoughts about something, then the world would be so boring don't you think?

I don't like to hide behind my finger. BOH is a nice game for AmigaOS, but is it nice for Windows, with hundreds of games publishing every week? The difference in these two systems is obvious.

I like AROS on the other hand, it has done many steps ahead, and everytime I want to check AROS I always download your Icaros Desktop (I've donated some years ago if you remember).

Last edited by Phantom on 25-Aug-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle