Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 124 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

A1200

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  3 mins ago
 pixie:  12 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  13 mins ago
 retrofaza:  29 mins ago
 OlafS25:  49 mins ago
 BigD:  49 mins ago
 zErec:  56 mins ago
 amigakit:  59 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  2 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Recommendations for new gaming PC build
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
amigadave 
Recommendations for new gaming PC build
Posted on 27-Sep-2012 3:36:45
#1 ]

I am not a gamer, so I am here in the "Free for All" forum asking for advice on which parts to purchase that would be best and cheapest to build a new gaming PC for my youngest Son. I need to make a decision as quickly as possible, as I am traveling up North to visit him and wish to deliver his rebuilt PC to him when I see him in a few weeks.

His requirement is to be able to play the newly released Guild Wars 2 and he does not much care about anything else that the computer can do.

Minimum System Requirements Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3 OR AMD Athlon 64 X2, or better 2 GB RAM NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI X1800, Intel HD 3000...

So, the system requirements are not too demanding, but I would want to build him something above the minimum requirements, so please keep these in mind if you choose to help out with any suggestions.

I have made many previous purchases through TigerDirect online and eBay, and I don't have any problem buying from any other reputable online stores.

My goal is to give him as much bang for the buck and keep the budget between $300 to $400. I have a case and optical drive already, but will probably need a more powerful PSU, if the video card draws a lot of power. His current PSU is 300watts to 400watts and is probably 7 years old. I would like the above price limit to include Windows7, but that part can wait until later and I can use his old WindowsXP Pro license, since we are tearing apart his old computer to build this new one.

I really appreciate your opinions and recommendations for this build, as I am not really up to date on which components are best for the price to give a good gaming experience for GuildWars2 and any other game he might like to play within the next couple of years.

Thanks

Profile     Report this post  
BrianK 
Re: Recommendations for new gaming PC build
Posted on 27-Sep-2012 13:27:31
#2 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

With Windows8 just around the corner I'd probably wait to buy a new OS. Though you might find Windows7 somewhere at good discount.

Gaming is always nice to be in the 60ish fps area. So I'd recommend an i3 or i5 setup. Guild Wars 2 CPU Scaling and looking at Guild Wars 2 GPU Scaling at AMD 67xx or Nvidia 640. The combination of motherboard, CPU, GPU and Memory you're probably close to or just over $400.

amigadave 
Posted on 28-Sep-2012 7:15:05
#3 ]

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@amigadave

With Windows8 just around the corner I'd probably wait to buy a new OS. Though you might find Windows7 somewhere at good discount.

Gaming is always nice to be in the 60ish fps area. So I'd recommend an i3 or i5 setup. Guild Wars 2 CPU Scaling and looking at Guild Wars 2 GPU Scaling at AMD 67xx or Nvidia 640. The combination of motherboard, CPU, GPU and Memory you're probably close to or just over $400.

Thanks for the reply and recommendations BrianK.

I did some searching on my own and think that the following recommendations might work.

Motherboard for around $60 - ASRock B75 LGA 1155 Intel B75 Micro ATX

CPU for about $113 to $125 - Intel Corei3-2120

Video card for about $140 to $160 - RadeonHD 6850, or 6870 1GB

4GB RAM about $25 - G. Skill 2x 2GB DDR3 1222MHz

450watt PSU about $40 - Antec VP-450 450watt PSU

So without buying any OS and just using my existing WindowsXP Pro, the total to upgrade my Son's existing PC should look like this:

$60+$120+$150+$25+$40=$395

That is surprisingly just under my projected price limit.

Can anyone suggest other alternatives that will work as well, allow for some future upgrade possibilities a year or two into the future, and cost the same or less than what I am looking at above?

For $395 I can probably find a complete computer with the same components inside. Should I upgrade my Son's computer, or just buy a complete new one from HP, Dell, Asus, or some other company?

Last edited by amigadave on 28-Sep-2012 at 07:22 AM.

amigadave 
Posted on 28-Sep-2012 9:18:54
#4 ]

Okay, I have torn apart my Son's computer to find out what we used to build in many years ago.

It has an MSI K8N motherboard with the nVidia nForce4 chipset and 939 CPU socket

We originally built it with a moderately priced Athlon 64 ADA 3000AA4BP 1,800MHz CPU installed.

Since my Son needs to use his money for college and I don't want to spend money so he can play games instead of studying, I am looking for the least expensive way to upgrade his computer so he can play GuildWars2.

Is it worthwhile to consider just upgrading the Athlon CPU on this motherboard and get him a new video card, or is it a complete waste of money to upgrade the CPU on this very old motherboard?

I think this motherboard will accept an Athlon 64 FX 60 clocked at 2.8GHz with dual cores.

The GuildWars2 minimum requirement says Athlon X2, does the 64 FX 60 @2.8GHz meet that requirement? I think I can find one for less than $100 on eBay.

Edit: I also still have the boxed WindowsXP Pro 64bit edition that we purchased when we first built my Son's computer many years ago, but we did not use it because of the lack of printer drivers, or some other driver problem, so we then switched to the 32bit version of XP Pro instead.

As long as the programs he needs for college and this game will run on either the 64bit, or 32bit version of XP Pro, I am not buying him a newer version of Windows right now, unless we can get it for a very low price in combination with some other part we need.

P.S. I found where my Catweasel Mk4 was hiding when I tore apart his computer, so now I have a Catweasel Mk3 in my X1000 and the Mk4 is going into my G4 MDD PowerMac running MorphOS3.1.

Last edited by amigadave on 28-Sep-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Simon 
Posted on 28-Sep-2012 10:11:40
#5 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

you should really go for windows7, XP can't run the latest directx and it's an OS that is 10 years old ... and that's a lot in PC-world. It just getting slow after 10 years of servicepacks, patches and fixes to keep up with todays standards and security issues.

The Belgian Amiga Club on FACEBOOK !

The Belgian Amiga Club Website

amigadave 
Posted on 28-Sep-2012 12:11:10
#6 ]

@Aminicle

Quote:

Aminicle wrote:
@amigadave

you should really go for windows7, XP can't run the latest directx and it's an OS that is 10 years old ... and that's a lot in PC-world. It just getting slow after 10 years of servicepacks, patches and fixes to keep up with todays standards and security issues.

Yes, I know, but the game my Son wants to run (GuildWars2) runs on XP Pro and the goal of this upgrade to his PC is to spend the least amount possible, just to meet that games minimum system requirements.

The only reason I will upgrade it to a new motherboard, instead of just a new CPU and video card, is if the new motherboard and a modern CPU only cost a few dollars more than upgrading the CPU only to the fastest CPU that can be installed on his existing motherboard.

BrianK 
Posted on 28-Sep-2012 13:34:31
#7 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Check out the CPU Scaling . You'll see that Guild Wars 2 best performs on quad core chips. See the Llano dual core? It's a K10.5 architecture. The older K8N (I had a Neo4 platnium at one time) runs the K8 architecture. So you probably won't be able to get better than Llano performance. (EDIT: Did a bit more research on K10.5 vs K8. For an easy guess take that Dual Core Llano and subtract 10%. That's probably about where you could get at best for performance.) That is around 25fps. Might be adequate? Look at the graph and you'll see the i3 dual core is about twice the performace than your best option with your motherboard.

This might help - have you tried running Guild Wars2 with the current machine? If so what's the FPS? Each game scales differently you might get 25% or at best 40% with the fastest dual core CPU you can run. Hard to say without trying it out. But, ask would 25% more be adequate? If so and you end up closer to 40% then woohoo!

Windows XP 64bit - skip it. Too much doesn't work in that environment. Either stay 32bit or move to Windows 7.

You asked about a new HP/Dell/ASUS - should work for you. Though watch the video card. The $400 pricing is more often the Workplace computer. Running Excel doesn't need the graphic power of a gaming machine.

Similar to the above how about a used computer? Craigslist or Ebay perhaps? Your computer is 6 years old. How about finding a i5 machine that's 2 or 3 years old? i5-6xx or i5-7xx are quad core CPUs and the 2009ish era. A used machine will likely come with all faster memory, faster harddrive than your machine + Windows 7. And again it looks like Intel beats out AMD for Guild Wars2 so...

Last edited by BrianK on 28-Sep-2012 at 08:52 PM.

amigadave 
Posted on 28-Sep-2012 22:30:42
#8 ]

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@amigadave

This might help - have you tried running Guild Wars2 with the current machine? If so what's the FPS?

No, I can't test the game on the current setup because I don't yet have a video card capable of running the game, and I took the computer completely apart last night to remind myself which parts we used to build in many years ago. It is a K8N Neo4, but I don't see any "Platinum" designation.

Quote:
Each game scales differently you might get 25% or at best 40% with the fastest dual core CPU you can run. Hard to say without trying it out. But, ask would 25% more be adequate? If so and you end up closer to 40% then woohoo!

You lost me with the 25% & 40% numbers. I figure that the video card is more important than the CPU for these types of games, so I was hoping that if I bought him a RadeonHD 6870 video card and put the fastest CPU that this existing motherboard can accept, we might be able to get by with his existing system until the next game comes out that he wants to run that has higher minimum requirements. I think I can get the Radeon 6870 for $160.

An eBay seller who sells lots of old computer components and has some socket 939 CPU's suggested this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110771807589 as a faster alternative to this:

Quote:
Windows XP 64bit - skip it. Too much doesn't work in that environment. Either stay 32bit or move to Windows 7.

I don't want to pay for another Windows license right now, so I guess he will just have to live with WindowsXP Pro 32bit and the free Avast virus protection that I usually use.

Quote:
You asked about a new HP/Dell/ASUS - should work for you. Though watch the video card. The $400 pricing is more often the Workplace computer. Running Excel doesn't need the graphic power of a gaming machine.

Checked on new computers and I can't stay within budget and get enough video card and CPU to make it work.

Quote:
Similar to the above how about a used computer? Craigslist or Ebay perhaps? Your computer is 6 years old. How about finding a i5 machine that's 2 or 3 years old? i5-6xx or i5-7xx are quad core CPUs and the 2009ish era. A used machine will likely come with all faster memory, faster harddrive than your machine + Windows 7. And again it looks like Intel beats out AMD for Guild Wars2 so...

Yeah, I am starting to realize that putting any money into this 7 year old computer build is a waste of time and money. It was a good motherboard at the time, but too much has changed since then and even though I can get a faster CPU for relatively cheap price, it is not worth the effort.

I am looking at used computers now and hoping to get lucky and find a satisfactory used gaming computer for around $300 to $375 with 4gb to 8gb RAM and a decent video card, that has at least a 2.4GHz Core2Duo, or like you said, maybe I can get real lucky and get an i5 instead.

Thanks for all the advice.

amigadave 
Posted on 29-Sep-2012 3:05:14
#9 ]

Update:

Llano APU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819106001

ASRock A75 Extreme6 mobo http://compare.ebay.com/like/2907735...Types&var=sbar

Kingston 8GB RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139984

looked like they might meet the minimum specs at a decent price. $110+$95+$35=$240

My Son's case and 400watt PSU should work fine, unless there are newer power connections that are needed for the ASRock A75 Extreme6 that the older Silent Power 400watt PSU does not provide.

It should still be enough power, even after my Son purchases a discrete RadeonHD 6xxx, or 7xxx video card in a month or two, to improve the overall performance of demanding 3D games and other software. If the 400watt PSU that he has existing in his current PC is not enough when he goes to add a video card to the basics above, he can replace the PSU at the same time he adds a discrete video card.

What do any of you think of the above combination to replace my Son's existing ancient mobo, CPU, RAM & video card?

Last edited by amigadave on 29-Sep-2012 at 06:09 AM.

asymetrix 
Posted on 29-Sep-2012 3:50:36
#10 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

take alook here :

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/9120-buyingbuilding-a-pc-check-here-first-the-suggested-builds-thread/

Take your pic :)

I myself am going to buy a complete gaming system based around :

http://bit.ly/Rpqjf3

My thinking is to buy once and it would last a few years, but run most games now at decent speeds. I need more memory for batch processing and vector work.

I simply dont have the time to match old parts with new and joining all up with sticky tape.

amigadave 
Posted on 29-Sep-2012 6:22:17
#11 ]

@asymetrix

Your Core i7 PC is in a complete different class to what I am trying to provide for my Son.

I am not that crazy about him playing GuildWars2 before he completes college and has a good job, but that is a bit unrealistic to expect, so I will help him out and if he can't control the amount of time he spends playing GuildWars2 (or any other computer game), then he will suffer the consequences on his own. It is hard enough finding a decent job today with a 4-year college degree, or 2 to 3 years of specialized trade school and a certificate of completion, or State License in some field, so my main concern is that he concentrates on his classes and gets through college as quickly as possible, so he can find a good job before he gets some girl pregnant and runs up a bunch of debt that will force him to take a job he will end up hating and that will keep him from being able to complete his degree, or drag it out for 10+ years.

You might laugh, but I have seen it happen too often. It is very easy to fall down that hole and very hard to crawl back out again.

The only reason I have offered to help my Son is because if I don't, he will end up buying a higher priced computer to play GuildWars2 anyway, and I would rather see him save his money for school and food and rent, than waste any of it on a computer that I could help him build for half the cost than he might otherwise spend if he is not careful.

He is one of those kids that knows how to turn a computer on and click the mouse and a few keys on the keyboard to get his character to tea-bag a monster on the screen, but knows almost nothing else about computers, or how they work. A computer is like a TV, or a Microwave to him. Just another appliance with a power cord and an on/off switch.

damocles 
Posted on 29-Sep-2012 7:20:08
#12 ]

@amigadave

Quote:
Update:

Llano APU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819106001

ASRock A75 Extreme6 mobo http://compare.ebay.com/like/2907735...Types&var=sbar

Kingston 8GB RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820139984

looked like they might meet the minimum specs at a decent price. $110+$95+$35=$240

That is pretty much what I'm planning to upgrade for Rift and Dark Ages of Camelot although I may opt for the A10 series instead of the A8. Guess it will depend on my budget at the time.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 29-Sep-2012 7:54:26
#13 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

These guys are quite cheap so I use them as a point of reference:
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Going by that, the following seemed a decent balance for about your budget:

8gig ddr3 2133 $55
gtx 650 1gig $138
i3-3220 $127
G-B B75M-D3 V $69

Total $389

There's a bit of room for movement depending on what you'd like. Slower RAM will save you a few dollars, as will going for a cheaper mobo. There's probably wiggle room to go up to the i3-3240.

If you're more likely to just replace the whole thing in "X" amount of time (ie. not overly concerned with upgrading cpu at some point), and higher power consumption (but still usable on the power supply youve mentioned) then an AMD fx-6200, with a little overclocking would be a reasonable choice too (i3's dont have either K variants, nor turbo boost, ergo not overclockable).
Im sure it's no secret that AMD's traditional cpu's are currently inferior to Intel in a lot of areas, but I still think theyre worthwhile considering when on a budget. Especially if a person doesnt mind doing a little overclocking.

I honestly dont know which way Id go in that situation.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions. I actually went through this a little while ago myself (but had a little bit higher budget), so my "research" is still fresh-(ish) in my mind :)

edit: radeon 7770 is a better allround card (and cheaper), but I suggested the gf 650 under the assumption (from what someone wrote above) that the game mentioned runs better on Nvidia architecture. Oh, and dont under estimate some of the higher end cards from a generation or 2 ago if you can get them cheap enough. Some of them sill offer more grunt than the current $100-$150 segment.

edit2: I guess it also depends on whether you want to get as much grunt as possible for $400-ish, or just want to get a system that'd be a decent upgrade without spending a lot. I responded as though it was the former, but even a Llano system, perhaps with an additonal discrete gfx card (Llano can run in crossfire mode, using both the gpu in the apu, and the pci express card (so long as its not of a higher class than what's on the apu)).
A person can get themselves some pretty decent gaming performance for cheap this way ($250-ish). It's not going to set any speed records, but it'll be a nice little gaming system.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 29-Sep-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Last edited by fishy_fis on 29-Sep-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Last edited by fishy_fis on 29-Sep-2012 at 07:58 AM.

ExiE 
Posted on 29-Sep-2012 9:10:48
#14 ]

@amigadave

Quote:
Yes, I know, but the game my Son wants to run (GuildWars2) runs on XP Pro and the goal of this upgrade to his PC is to spend the least amount possible, just to meet that games minimum system requirements.

This is really bad idea. Playing MMO with computer that barely meets the minimum requirements is real pain and no fun at all. Sure he can run the game, its OK while leveling or playing alone, but GW2 is based on PvP, with slow computer he will not be competitive at all, coz low framerate affects gameplay a lot.
4GB of RAM would be enough, gfx card is ok, but the i3 is bit behind. Also Win7 (with possible cheap upgrade to Win8) would help a lot. As much as i like WinXP I have to say that Windows7 will do much better on such hardware...

Last edited by ExiE on 29-Sep-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Last edited by ExiE on 29-Sep-2012 at 09:11 AM.

amigadave 
Posted on 29-Sep-2012 10:40:17
#15 ]

@ExiE

Quote:

ExiE wrote:
@amigadave

Quote:

This is really bad idea. Playing MMO with computer that barely meets the minimum requirements is real pain and no fun at all. Sure he can run the game, its OK while leveling or playing alone, but GW2 is based on PvP, with slow computer he will not be competitive at all, coz low framerate affects gameplay a lot.
4GB of RAM would be enough, gfx card is ok, but the i3 is bit behind. Also Win7 (with possible cheap upgrade to Win8) would help a lot. As much as i like WinXP I have to say that Windows7 will do much better on such hardware...

The goal is to upgrade the PC for the least amount possible to play the game at a reasonable frame rate now and next month, or the month after, upgrade it some more to improve performance. Then, if it can be upgraded again the month or two after that, he can spend the extra money to get a little more performance.

I don't think the hardware I have outlined is "a computer that barely meets the minimum requrements", but will admit that it is not a powerhouse either.

If the hardware is supported, he can begin with WindowsXP Pro 64bit, instead of 32bit, until he can upgrade to Windows7 Pro, as we own both of these versions of Windows already and won't have to spend additional money this month to purchase a Windows7 license. In fact the upgrade from XP Pro to Windows7 Pro, could be the first upgrade for him to do next month, as coming up with approx. $90 next month, or maybe even just 2 weeks from now would be no problem.

Then a month or two down the road I will suggest that he purchase an AMD video card that matches the video card performance within the APU, and do as fishy_fis suggests, set them up to work together, like 2 video cards in SLI, or CrossFire mode.

I did not know that was possible, and thought that he would need to buy a more expensive and more powerful video card to improve upon the APU video capabilities significantly. But if he can have double the HD 6550 performance that is included within the Llano APU by purchasing and installing just one RadeonHD 6550 video card, that should provide fairly good performance for GuildWars2.

@ExiE,

Tell me what you think of the performance of GuildWars2, as shown in the YouTube video in the link provided in this thread. It does not seem so terrible to me?

Will it be worth it to install WindowsXP Pro 64bit for a couple of weeks if this computer is only used for playing GuildWars2 during that time, or should we install the 32bit version of XP Pro, as recommended earlier in this thread?

Last edited by amigadave on 29-Sep-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Last edited by amigadave on 29-Sep-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Last edited by amigadave on 29-Sep-2012 at 10:46 AM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 29-Sep-2012 12:53:22
#16 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

I missed your original question about The Athlon FX-60, but clock for clock the FX-60 is faster than an athlonx2. The "FX" serires back then were the "deluxe" models Sort of akin to Intels Extreme Edition CPU's.
It's been a while, so memory is hazy and I was too lazy to look it up, but I think it the main differences are larger caches, dual channel memory (this was later introduced to "normal" a64 cpu's too though iirc), and possibly higher frequencies for the HyperTransportTunnel.

Vs. an a64 3000+ (which only has 512KB l2 cache) it is quite an upgrade. There's not absolutes, but an fx-60 clocked @2.8ghz should be typically %40-%60 faster, and at times faster again.

What socket for the current system have though? There was a few different sockets for athlon64 based systems. S754/939/940/940 (was 2 different incompatible socket 940's)/AM2/AM2+/AM3, and technically a few others, but they kinda blurred the lines between what cpu was using what architecture at one point :)
Point being though, its something you'll need to check out if you decide to maybe just upgrade that system.

OldFart 
Posted on 29-Sep-2012 13:12:20
#17 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@amigadave

Quote:
I am not a gamer, so I am here in the "Free for All" forum asking for advice on which parts to purchase that would be best and cheapest to build a new gaming PC for my youngest Son.

Not being obstructed by knowledge on this matter, I do remember that the Intel chipset was not well suited when it came support for NVIDIA and/or Radeon graphics cards, due to less stringent application of specifications and so resulting in wide tolerances in bussignals. Wasn't this a reason for Apple to poke Intel in the ribs for letting NVidia build some chipset that PROPERLY supported NVidia GFX cards? It's worth a check, me thinks.

OldFart

asymetrix 
Posted on 29-Sep-2012 14:13:55
#18 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

The AMD 6850 / 6870 graphics card should be a good enough.

Just make sure its compatible with your current setup, which should still be ok.

Things to note are gfx card power requirement, ensure system power supply is enough.

When you do get your card, disable the onboard gfx chip in the bios first.

Thats the cheapest option, see how it goes from then on.

also update all drivers (GFX and motherboard) with new from the websites.

in your case MSI/AMD and also latest direct x.

Last edited by asymetrix on 29-Sep-2012 at 02:16 PM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 29-Sep-2012 14:47:29
#19 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

The only real issue I can recall in recent times with Intel chipsets in regards to graphics is that you was restricted to 8pci express lanes for their mainstream platform (earlier versions of s1155 iirc, or perhaps s1156).

damocles 
Posted on 29-Sep-2012 17:56:28
#20 ]

@amigadave

Quote:
Tell me what you think of the performance of GuildWars2, as shown in the YouTube video in the link provided in this thread. It does not seem so terrible to me?

I don't see the link anywhere in this thread, but it was shown on AO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inBhbf1u0TQ

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle