Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  7 mins ago
 Rob:  12 mins ago
 zipper:  36 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 Comi:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 BigD:  4 hrs 15 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Recommendations for new gaming PC build
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
_Steve_ 
Re: Recommendations for new gaming PC build
Posted on 6-Oct-2012 21:35:33
#61 ]
Team Member

@Rose

Quote:

Rose wrote:
Pirating seems to be ok on amigaworld as long it's one of moderators in need. What ever bullshit you have told here there isn't "trial version" of Windos 7. How about cutting out the middle man and straight as links to pages that give you activation hack.

This is actually where you are wrong. There are trial versions of Windows typically limited to around 120 days maximum usage. I know as I have one supplied from MS for Windows 2000 on CD. It is a trail version to be used for evaluation purposes. Should you wish to continue using it after the 120 days you are directed to acquire the key from the MS online store.

Profile     Report this post  
amigadave 
Posted on 9-Oct-2012 0:33:04
#62 ]

@fishy_fis

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
@amigadave

The "problem" with going the a10 route is that youve then pushed up into i3 and even lower spec i5 price range, especially with the newer fm2 mobos being a little more expensive than thier socket1155 equivalents.

For $360 you could get an i5-3330/3450/3470, mobo, 8gig ddr3-2133, and a 2gig saphire 6570.

(prices obtained from msy.com.au)

Too late! Those prices for i5 system hardware sound too good to be true. I could not find any i5 CPU's and motherboard combo's at such low prices. I picked up the AMD A10 5800K APU with stock heatsink and fan, plus the Gigabyte F2A85X-UP4 motherboard combination for $250 and 8GB of 1866 DDR3 SDRAM for an extra $55 all from NewEgg.com's Will Call window at their distribution warehouse in Southern California on the day I left to drive North.

I am here in Northern Calif. at my Son's apartment fighting with this new built system and Windows 7 Home Premium. Trying to trouble shoot why it runs at full speed for a few minutes, then slows down to a crawl before stopping completely for another few minutes, then the cycle repeats itself over and over again, or locks up (or appears to lock up). It is driving my Son crazy, as he is too anxious to start playing Guild Wars 2 with his old friends who live 1,000 miles away now.

I have searched all over the Internet for solutions, including performing a "Clean Boot" and turning on and off the Services, and Startup Items, plus running "sfc /scannow" in a Command Prompt in Administrator Mode. No corrupt Windows files were found. Avast anti-virus software can't find any viruses.

My Son was going through all of the Windows services from the MSConfig.exe window and appeared to resolve the problem temporarily, but was not patient enough when turning them back on 5 at a time to determine which service(s) are causing the problem, so I guess I will have to repeat the exercise to find out which MS service is causing this irratiting behavior.

I thought I would mention it here to see if any of you have experienced the same thing and know of a simple solution. The Guild Wars 2 game requires 25GB of hard drive space for the game to install on to, and with the computer running on and off like it is right now, it has taken many hours to install the game from the two provided DVD discs. Now my Son is trying to download the patch files that were released after the DVD masters were made, which is also taking several hours, instead of letting me attempt to fix his computer first, so it runs properly. He had been hoping that the game would run without this intermittent problem with the computer stopping and starting up again every few minutes, but has finally realized that he must let me fix it first and the game will have to wait until the computer is working the way it is supposed to run.

Do any of you have any ideas what might be wrong with it? I am running out of ideas on what could be causing this type of behavior.

One thing I have noticed is that the hard drive activity light is lit continuously when the computer is in it's locked up state, but even the Task Manager becomes unresponsive during those times, so I can't figure out what is happening by searching through the processes that are running during that time.

@Rose,

Not sure what your problem is, or if it is just with me, or all moderators, but no one in this thread is advocating Piracy, or cheating anyone out of anything. When Windows 7 is first installed, you have the option to enter an activation key code, or wait until later to purchase and enter an activation code. You have up to 30 days to enter this activation code and there is a way to extend the evaluation period up to 3 more times, so in theory, you can possibly wait up until 120 days to activate Windows 7 by purchasing the activation key code from Microsoft.

That is the only thing I have discussed doing in this thread, the delaying of purchasing the activation key code until next month, or maybe a month after that, so my Son will have time to save up the money to purchase it himself, instead of me purchasing it for him now.

amigadave 
Posted on 9-Oct-2012 2:00:31
#63 ]

Update:

In case it helps to trouble shoot any of the problems I am having with Windows 7 on this new computer build, I downloaded Windows 7 Home Premium .iso and burned the install DVD on my G4 PowerMac, after the first two attempts to burn the .iso image to the DVD-R using my Son's Intel powered MacBook had failed during the "Verify" stage of burning the DVD on both of his attempts.

My G4 PowerBook had no errors occur when I burned the same .iso image to the DVD-R.

I did a search through the files and directories on the Windows7 install DVD and found this log file in the X:\windows\security\logs directory with the name "backup.log".

BEGIN Log File:
"Monday, October 08, 2012 6:30:14 PM
Administrative privileged user logged on.
Parsing template defltwk.inf.
----Configuration engine was initialized successfully. ----
----Reading Configuration Template info...

----Configure General Service Settings...
Configure sysmonlog.
Error 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
Error opening sysmonlog.
Configure SamSs.
Configure ntmssvc.
Error opening ntmssvc.
Configure netddedsdm.
Error opening netddedsdm.
Configure netdde.
Error opening netdde.
Configure dmserver.
Error opening dmserver.
Configure clipsrv.
Error opening clipsrv.
Configure browser.
Error opening browser.

General Service configuration was completed successfully.

----Configure available attachment engines...
Configuration of attachment engines was completed successfully.

----Un-initialize configuration engine...
END of Log File

When I saw this log file, it made me wonder if there might be some error, or missing files from my Windows 7 Installation DVD that I burned on my G4 PowerMac?

amigadave 
Posted on 9-Oct-2012 5:15:32
#64 ]

More info:

The computer appears to run fine without any problems for an unlimited length of time, IF no programs are used that access the Internet, or download a large number of files from the Internet.

Simple browsing does not appear to trigger the slow down and freezing of the computer and the Internet connection.

It is very strange that when my Son tries to download the remaining Guild Wars 2 patch files, the computer becomes unstable within just a matter of seconds, or at most a minute or two, before everything starts going crazy. Windows become unresponsive, even if they have nothing to do with a connection to the Internet. The background of the desktop stops re-drawing and leaves large white areas if a window does gain "Focus" again and can be closed.

So, it appears we have narrowed the problem down to something to do with Internet access/downloading, or maybe just Guild Wars 2 downloads, or the Guild Wars 2 installer program.

koft 
Posted on 9-Oct-2012 6:58:18
#65 ]

@amigadave

Did you install Win 7 over an existing XP setup, or did you do a clean install?

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 9-Oct-2012 8:13:15
#66 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

It's an AMD board right? With AMD Sata controller? When you have a look at the event-viewer you'll probably notice quite some warnings / errors concerning the AMD SATA controller. If that's the case then you could try revert back to the stock Microsoft driver for SATA. If that does not help, try and locate a different retail version CD of Windows 7.

I had similar problems like you describe here with a Compaq AMD 64 laptop. It behaved like this out of the box. Re-installing the factory image did not solve the problem. Setting the SATA driver back to Microsoft's one did help a bit, but not all. The problem went away completely only after finding a retail DVD of Windows 7 Home Premium and install the system clean without any of the irritating HP additional software. Saying that... Dell's supply isn't any better as I've encountered numerous USB errors on a Precision M6600 that only went by installing a clean, retail version of Win 7 Pro.

asymetrix 
Posted on 9-Oct-2012 9:11:38
#67 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

This is what i recommend :

reset bios to factory defaults

check hardware cpu, fan (it could be overheating if glue has released)
check enough watts for all devices, including GFX card.

Format drive and install Windows.

Use driver disks when required.

update windows with security fixes and updates and service packs.

see if the system is running stable (this is what i call a level 0 install)
I ghost this image at this stage

Install Direct X
test direct X

Install Visual C++ 2005 redistributable
Install Visual C++ 2008 redistributable
Install Visual C++ 2010 redistributable

Install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Install .NET Framework 4 Client
Install .NET Framework 4 Extended

right click Computer Icon -> properties -> Device manager

click the [+] to expand and ensure you have no yellow warning icons
Once you have no warnings hardware is installed and detected properly.

once all drivers installed ensure they are all upto date, using secunia psi

If you need to clean the system or auto repair anything use TuneUp Utilities.

amigadave 
Posted on 9-Oct-2012 19:50:32
#68 ]

@koft

Quote:

koft wrote:
@amigadave

Did you install Win 7 over an existing XP setup, or did you do a clean install?

Clean install of Win 7 over a hard drive that had just been re-formatted.

@asymetrix & Amiga_3k,

Thanks for the tips, we are going through them one by one now to see if any of them will help.

I checked the Device Manager first and there were zero yellow warnings and it appears that all of the hardware devices are recognized correctly.

Because of the freezing up problems, it is taking hours to download and install all of the 221 Windows Updates to Windows 7 Home Premium. I have also downloaded and burned to DVD a Windows 7 Professional Install .iso, so if we still have problems after all of the 221 Windows 7 Updates have installed themselves, I think I am going to suggest to my Son that we try upgrading his computer from Home Premium, to the Professional version of Windows 7.

Last edited by amigadave on 09-Oct-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Last edited by amigadave on 09-Oct-2012 at 08:52 PM.

damocles 
Posted on 9-Oct-2012 20:00:31
#69 ]

@amigadave

Check for BIOS update or driver updates?

BrianK 
Posted on 9-Oct-2012 20:02:25
#70 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Clean install the OS. Install and update Drivers. If you haven't updated the BIOS do that too. Gigabyte Tech Support has been useful for me in the past trying to figure out a problem. You can try that.

BrianK 
Posted on 11-Oct-2012 14:00:17
#71 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaDave

Any luck?

amigadave 
Posted on 12-Oct-2012 18:05:14
#72 ]

@BrianK

Quote:

BrianK wrote:
@AmigaDave

Any luck?

Nope!

I just replaced the PSU with a new one and that did not help either. Also reinstalled Windows 7 from scratch with the updated BIOS active and no change.

I need to try a different SATA driver, as the hard drive test did not show good results. I ran HD Tune Pro and the read results were wildly up and down with a very poor average.

So that could mean the SATA driver is not good, or the 6 year old hard drive is beginning to fail. I hate paying the prices around here to replace the hard drive, but also don't want to wait another 3 or 4 days for an online order to show up. I have already been here a week and I have other places I need to go and things I want to do before the 2012 AmiWest Show begins.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 12-Oct-2012 19:12:27
#73 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

As I hinted before... Revert to the stock Microsoft driver for SATA. The AMD driver can cause pain. Also check the Eventviewer, it should hint toward issues with the AMD SATA driver.

Another tip for all PC users with machines acting up. Unplug the powercord and press the front power-button for about 30 seconds. This should completely discharge the mainboard, clearing everything possibly in memory. At work I've got around quite some machines that started to behave again after the procedure described.

amigadave 
Posted on 12-Oct-2012 23:10:36
#74 ]

@Amiga_3k

Thanks for the continuing tips. I am almost ready to through this piece of crap Windows box out of a 10 story window, but my Son's apartment is on the ground floor of an apartment complex that is only two stories tall.

Amiga_3k 
Posted on 13-Oct-2012 2:02:11
#75 ]
Cult Member

@amigadave

Been in a similar situation with a brand new 64 bit AMD-powered Compaq laptop. It was only after installing Linux on it that I could determine the hardware was not at fault but the installation of Windows provided by Compaq was.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 13-Oct-2012 2:10:33
#76 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

I cant really offer any suggestons that others havent already done apart from maybe temporarily installing xp pro again, for no reason other than to check any differences in stability of drivers.
That's one problem with being an early adopter of "new" gear,.... there's sometimes teething problems.
No offense, but youve chosen pretty badly. FM2 systems make no sense at the moment from a price aspect, performance, or heat disippation, not to mention theres plenty of unknowns still. Give them time to mature, and for prices to drop, and it may start making sense for budget oriented people, but for now theres not one aspect about them that's appealng. Budget performance, mid spec price, unknown platform with bugs..... not exactly my 1st choice :)

Korni 
Posted on 13-Oct-2012 16:10:48
#77 ]

@fishy_fis

Price for a budget system is nice, faster and cheaper than FM1 and AM3. When i was buying my system in the new year I was wondering between some cheap FM1, AM3 and 1155 platforms, i picked FM1 and i don't regret it. I did not have any real problems with it. FM2 has the same chipsets as FM1, besides of course A85. I agree that they are quite hot and fairly poor when it comes to FSB OC, in case of A75 - SATA3 goes off, CPU itself runs pretty cool though.

@amigadave

Go to BIOS and try to change SATA mode to ATA or AHCI.

Last edited by Korni on 13-Oct-2012 at 04:23 PM.

amigadave 
Posted on 17-Oct-2012 5:03:43
#78 ]

Update:

I finally got the system to run stable and fast by removing the AMD SATA Controller driver and letting Windows 7 Home Premium install a generic Microsoft SATA Controller driver.

That seems to have solved the problem of the computer freezing up, specially when downloading large files, or many hundreds, or thousands of files, such as those required to update Guild Wars 2 when you first start using it.

Thanks to the member here who suggested this fix and to all the other members here who provided the many excellent suggestions for help. I don't like clogging up any Amiga forum with Windows PC questions, but you guys (and girls/women) are the most knowledgeable computer users I know of and the answers suggested here come ten times faster and are more accurate than any of the Windows PC forum sites I have tried to use in the past. I don't even bother with any Windows or Mac forums any more as I can always get better answers to my questions here, or at other Amiga forums, and always in less time.

Thanks again.

Now I am regretting setting up my Son's computer to play Guild Wars 2, as he is already proving that he is not responsible when playing it and has already spend money that he should have been saving for college, on fake money for Guild Wars 2, by buying "Gems" with real money.

Now I wish I had not upgraded his computer, but I figured that he would just spend more money to buy a new computer if I had not helped him.

It is on his shoulders to make it through college now, and I am not going to be too sympathetic when he cries that he does not have money for books, classes, rent or food. (Well maybe I will send him some food, but he is on his own for the rest, until he can prove that he is more responsible).

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Oct-2012 18:48:05
#79 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

I think it was Eve Online? Someone acted as an investment banker and made off with Trillions of $$. Of course those were in game $$ which hosed the rest of the game. Perhaps your Son can step up his game for Guild Wars.

Send Food -- A case of Mac-n-Cheese is like $5. And it works without butter or milk. Just use water. You gotta make sacrifices.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle