Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 168 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Matt3k

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  1 min ago
 CosmosUnivers:  22 mins ago
 A1200:  51 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 1 min ago
 clint:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 4 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 6 mins ago
 bhabbott:  4 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Getting serious about Printing
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: Getting serious about Printing
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 13:34:59
#121 ]
Elite Member

since terminills has been banned here for three months probably the place to reach him in the meantime is nothing else than aros-exec, especially if he decides to stay away.

Last edited by wawa on 02-Jul-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
broadblues 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 13:55:24
#122 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@OlafS25

A three month ban is quite substantial by this forums terms so I doubt it's triggered by anything a simple as partisan usage of the report button. When ever I've clicked the report button (I use it rarely) most of my reports have been turned down, so I think the moderators are also not 'ban happy' even if one or two users are a bit 'click happy' with the report button.

It's a real shame if he has stopped his useful work, but as with all of this it's for fun, some people forget it and some people try to destroy others fun.

Last edited by broadblues on 02-Jul-2013 at 01:56 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 13:58:40
#123 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Propably not only. But who decides how much? Just one moderator or a group of moderators?

klx300r 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 14:16:37
#124 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:
@scabit

...On the other hand saying one certain OS is the only real AmigaOS and thus saying the others are retro, oldfashioned (68k) or not Amiga seems to be perfectly ok because noone is contradicting so it seems consensus between the fans of this camp. Hardly motivating cooperation...

But honestly who gives a crap what the same few air heads say anyhow! The majority of actual users here are respectful and helpful and every Amiga system will benefit from terminills work including our classics!

I think some people are looking for some magical 'outsider' to come into our turf to 'help' out with items our favourite OS needs today BUT are too busy infighting instead of helping the cause.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

OlafS25 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 14:23:19
#125 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Honestly there is more than one person that acts not how you describe. And by insisting only their choice "is the only one, best, true amiga", looking down on others (could be called arrogance) they make the trench between the camps broader. Then add the stubborness (and partly insulting behavior) of important people to that then we are where we are.

number6 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 15:28:48
#126 ]
Elite Member

@thread

terminills

klx300r 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 15:48:24
#127 ]
Elite Member

@number6

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 18:30:57
#128 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

a week or two weeks should be enough to change people's attitude.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 02-Jul-2013 at 06:31 PM.

eliyahu 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 18:41:30
#129 ]

@number6

way to go, terminills! i've gotten frustrated myself a few times and ditched the site for a while, but i just can't stay away. glad to know you've decided to continue, too. i know you can't respond here at the moment, but if you need any additional test support, let me know via PM. i've got access to tons of postscript printers at the office, some brand-new, some dating back to the '90s!

-- eliyahu

Jupp3 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 0:20:47
#130 ]

Quote:
Will 2013 be the year we can print from Amiga OS to any modern printer?

Haven't really read this thread, but I have seen it (and its equivalent on Morphzone) pop up occasionally...

So despite the title and quoted part, I assume this is about "getting cheap* inkjet printers, that no serious user would want to touch, working"?

To be honest, I'm not very excited about that. Even if I do have a "middle level" ink printer (so not a "serious" one that works directly with postscript). Mostly doing printing from other systems, and if I REALLY wanted to be able to print from MorphOS, I'd set up print server on my linux box to handle it (can't stand the idea of having to bring PowerBook to my computer table and connect it whenever I want to print from it - not that I do often anyway. Of course there are wireless printers too, just thought it would go to waste, as I'll always have at least one immobile desktop / server system anyway, which could have print server)

Some print server setup tutorials might be good starting point.

* Unless you count ink consumption after the bundled half-empty cartridges are spent, but why would anyone?

-EDIT-

Of course I don't mind someone spending their time on this, I just think there would be more important things to do... Also every few months HP etc. release new cheap printers (and old ones start breaking) and we might be without drivers for some crappy new printers again.

Of course this MIGHT be good for people who only have OS4/MorphOS system, and who want to save few dozen euros by buying a cheap printer (they'll need them anyway really soon, when the ink runs out! )

Last edited by Jupp3 on 03-Jul-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Last edited by Jupp3 on 03-Jul-2013 at 12:24 AM.

number6 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 0:26:42
#131 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

Quote:
So despite the title and quoted part, I assume this is about "getting cheap* inkjet printers, that no serious user would want to touch, working"?

Not at all.

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php

Last edited by number6 on 03-Jul-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Jupp3 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 0:32:10
#132 ]

@number6

Quote:
Quote:

Not at all.

Lots of cheap inkjets listed, it seems... To be expected, serious printers have much longer "shelf time", so eventually there are less models

Of course there ARE some "serious" printers which do lack postscript support (and would require drivers such as those offered by gutenprint) but often, if you really do any basic research, you can find a postscript-capable printer for the same price (or a bit more).

-EDIT-

Of course some printers on the list also support postscript, so "being on the list" doesn't mean it couldn't be used on MorphOS/OS4.

Last edited by Jupp3 on 03-Jul-2013 at 12:36 AM.

number6 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 0:35:01
#133 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

Feel free to discuss the topic with him, but you'll have to start by sending him a PM atm. Heh.

Jupp3 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 0:39:54
#134 ]

@number6

Quote:
Feel free to discuss the topic with him, but you'll have to start by sending him a PM atm. Heh.

You mean terminills?

My comments were mostly aimed at people who started this thread, asking for "serious" (which often seems to mean "cheap & crappy inkjet") printing support.

number6 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 0:47:13
#135 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

Quote:
You mean terminills?

Yes, then he could explain his reasoning to you.

He's here.

Quote:
My comments were mostly aimed at people who started this thread, asking for "serious" (which often seems to mean "cheap & crappy inkjet") printing support.

gotcha

OlafS25 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 9:01:48
#136 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

*sigh*

sometimes I really wonder what is the discussion about..,

wawa 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 9:15:44
#137 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

im another one who isnt genuinely concerned about printing. but its terminills project, one he has fun to do. so its entirely his decision what he wants to contribute to. he isnt part of any team who took money and promised anything, you know.

Last edited by wawa on 03-Jul-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Jupp3 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 9:47:55
#138 ]

@wawa

Quote:
im another one who isnt genuinely concerned about printing. but its terminills project, one he has fun to do. so its entirely his decision what he wants to contribute to. he isnt part of any team who took money and promised anything, you know.

Yes, and just like I already said:
Quote:
Of course I don't mind someone spending their time on this, I just think there would be more important things to do...

Everyone is free to spend their time the way they want. I had beer yesterday.

And I guess general "global" opinion would be that anything "Amiga related" would be automatically wasted anyway

paolone 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 14:04:01
#139 ]

@Jupp3

Quote:
And I guess general "global" opinion would be that anything "Amiga related" would be automatically wasted anyway

I'm afraid that's the truth. But this does not mean that we shouldn't do anything to improve the situation, even if it is for personal sake/entertainment only. After all, a serious printing subsystem is the bare minimum requirement for any DTP software (being it ported or written from scratch). Having the ability to print with colour and shape precision may induce someone else porting applications he never considered before.

Will this unlikely happen anyway?

That does not change the fact Terminils is working on his own without getting any reward, spending his precious time in a project he believe in, for the delight of a community he feels being part of. I don't really get the point with people spending *their* time putting off volounteers like him. Do you think his work is a waste of time? Well, just keep the opinion for yourself: you won't convince him working on something else, but you will more likely help him abandoning his work, which may bring frustration to other people already waiting for it.

Being negative on everything won't be useful to anybody, however I noticed that too much people behave that way: talking about personal priorities all the time won't help the platform, writing code like Terminills is doing, instead, might work.

mr2 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 15:07:35
#140 ]
Cult Member

@paolone

Quote:
Do you think his work is a waste of time? Well, just keep the opinion for yourself: you won't convince him working on something else, but you will more likely help him abandoning his work, which may bring frustration to other people already waiting for it.

Quote:
Being negative on everything won't be useful to anybody, however I noticed that too much people behave that way: talking about personal priorities all the time won't help the platform, writing code like Terminills is doing, instead, might work.

Maby they think they are soooo important and smart that their opinions must be widely known

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle