Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

pavlor

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  1 min ago
 Maijestro:  8 mins ago
 wakido:  9 mins ago
 Rob:  32 mins ago
 kriz:  56 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 amig_os:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 Seiya:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 amigatronics:  2 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Arix Foundation?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
cdimauro 
Re: Arix Foundation?
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 20:06:05
#161 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
As a developer, I can.

My sincerest condolences to users of your products.
So you have nothing to say...

Last edited by cdimauro on 13-Nov-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 21:28:03
#162 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Quote:
So you have nothing to say...

...to topic of this thread? Not until ARIX boots on my desktop.

cdimauro 
Posted on 13-Nov-2013 22:12:58
#163 ]
Elite Member

The same for me, but I was talking about the (sub)discussion about "purity", "nativeness", and so on (take a look at the previous messages to reconstruct the context), from a developer and from an average user PoV. "Strangely", you preferred to escape it with a joke. "Strangely"...

Last edited by cdimauro on 13-Nov-2013 at 10:13 PM.

tygre 
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 2:19:43
#164 ]

@OlafS25

+1

@cdimauro

"[Shared objects] were added only to make it easier to port software to AmigaOS 4, because coders were too lazy to create Amiga libraries"
Or maybe because the coders did not have enough time to do things differently and they went for the solution with the best ratio time / feature?

cdimauro 
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 6:04:03
#165 ]
Elite Member

The question is not simply. The problem is that you're importing a software which makes (may be extensive) use of alien technologies. It happens for all platforms, even if we want to port an Amiga native software to Windows, Linux, MacOS X, etc., and it requires more or less effort, depending on how much "alien" are the technologies.

You've the easier possibility to "alienize" your beloved platform to speed-up the port.

Or to spend more time, taking a look at the LUA port for example, and make a port which respects the uniqueness/nativeness of your beloved platform.

I know that the latter can be harder, especially because nowadays most software is using the GCC & co. bloatware that certainly doesn't help writing portable code, since it's too much Unix/Posix-centered, and doesn't have good options to create Amiga libraries (I don't know if the situation is changed; it's years that I don't look at it).

Arko 
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 10:12:42
#166 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Here a simple explanation why founding a corporation makes sense, even for Hobby system.

Imagine someone is creating some kind of open source Software, for example a MUI clone and he is calling it Zune.

It would be a good idea protecting the brand name Zune so nobody else could use it without permission.

He could register this trademark to himself, but that’s not a fair against all others contributing to this project. Founding a corporation for all people working on it might be the better alternative.

Imagine the brand name ‘Zune’ would have been protected; Microsoft would have had to pay for using this brand on their Audio player. With this money you would have been able buying AmigaOS4 right, MorphOS rights and the Amiga name licence and some developers creating a brand new AmigaOS5.

Well founding a corporation for the protection of brand names and rights is a good idea and it doesn’t matter, if this address is in a private house or garage as long as you don’t use it scamming your customers.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

metalmac 
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 10:32:38
#167 ]

@Arko

+1

broadblues 
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 12:22:05
#168 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Arko

Quote:

Imagine the brand name `Zune' would have been protected; Microsoft would have had to pay for using this brand on their Audio player. With this money you would have been able buying AmigaOS4 right, MorphOS rights and the Amiga name licence and some developers creating a brand new AmigaOS5.

Nice theory Microshafts has much bigger lawyers though, you would end up losing and owing them everything :-0

Some form of limited liability company might protect you from losing all when things go wrong, like some brand of cleaning fluid suing them for using their brandname Not that I think that likely, just the ironic oposite of your example.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 12:57:42
#169 ]

@Arko

In addition, founding any type of corporate entity (as opposed to f.ex self employment) requires the writing of declarations of what the company is for, who has responsibility for finance, how disagreements are settled, etc. Imho this is an entirely sensible way forward to prevent (hypothetical) future disagreements from derailing the project: work contributed is owned by the corporation, not the individuals involved.

@Thread

Nothing much has yet been revealed, and yet somehow people find a way to argue about it. If the countdown teaser was intended to allow the more pointless arguements to flare and die before launch (when any real info is divulged), then my compliments the genius behind that idea.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 13:05:18
#170 ]

@Arko

Quote:

Arko wrote:
@AmigaHeretic

Well founding a corporation for the protection of brand names and rights is a good idea and it doesn’t matter, if this address is in a private house or garage as long as you don’t use it scamming your customers.

IANAL, but I don't think forming a corporation has anything to do with Trademarks or Copyrights if that is what you are getting at.

Regardless, that's not my point, I really I don't care if homebrew registers for a business name or corporate name. It's the tone and the mantra, but I wont rehash that again.

wawa 
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 16:04:51
#171 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaHeretic

what tone and what mantra? id understand your exposing approach, if the guys (foundation) you aim at actually did something wrong. wrong in the sense of scammed customers or misled the community or whatever like what we have faced numerous times, even then in many cases probably not fully intentionally. instead you blame the foundation in advance, and for what? that the regiustered it to a member private address.. so what?

calm down. wait it all to be revealed, which apparently is rather soon, and then you can start to ask questions, why not. no need to drag everything into the mud just a week earlier. you will have your opportuninty.

Last edited by wawa on 14-Nov-2013 at 04:05 PM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 17:06:37
#172 ]
Elite Member

Additionally, what references to apple?
Youve mentioned this a few times, but unless I missed something the comparison to apple was drawing a parallel to the darwin project, which is quite apt.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 14-Nov-2013 23:21:04
#173 ]

@fishy_fis

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
Additionally, what references to apple?
Youve mentioned this a few times, but unless I missed something the comparison to apple was drawing a parallel to the darwin project, which is quite apt.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=38282&forum=2&start=80&viewmode=flat&order=0#721935

I did? A few times? You might be reading some other thread fishy.

I made one statement where I was making a joke actually, "Arix 2.0. We haven't seen 1.0 and it's already outdated. That is Apple like."

umisef 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 13:43:30
#174 ]

@damocles

Quote:
We only have one chance to do this properly and as such, we intend to do just that.

You blew it.

When launching your website with a 30 day countdown with second precision, you *REALLY* should get the countdown code right. Which includes ignoring the timezone of the website visitor's computer. Cause otherwise, the displayed value will be out by hours for anyone not living in whatever timezone the website is hosted (presumably).

And if the first impression one gets of a supposedly new, alternative operating system is that the people behind it cannot even get that sort of thing right, chances are, your new OS won't get a second look.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 14:06:50
#175 ]

@umisef

That did make me laugh when I visited the site after rebooting into Jan 1 1978 (thankyou dead nvram battery).

@Terminills

Out of interest, what timezone is actual the countdown based on?

eliyahu 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 14:10:44
#176 ]

@umisef

Quote:
You blew it.

When launching your website with a 30 day countdown with second precision, you *REALLY* should get the countdown code right. Which includes ignoring the timezone of the website visitor's computer. Cause otherwise, the displayed value will be out by hours for anyone not living in whatever timezone the website is hosted (presumably).

And if the first impression one gets of a supposedly new, alternative operating system is that the people behind it cannot even get that sort of thing right, chances are, your new OS won't get a second look.

that is ridiculously harsh. i mean, you're criticizing the teaser countdown? not everyone is as brilliant and perfect as you are. give it a rest.

-- eliyahu

Kronos 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 14:24:21
#177 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:

that is ridiculously harsh. i mean, you're criticizing the teaser countdown? not everyone is as brilliant and perfect as you are. give it a rest.

"teaser (countdowns)" are inheritly retarded when they don't atleast give some clue on what to expect and/or the released product fails to deliever on those clues.

So yeah I'm with Bernie on this on, they blew it (even if they had gotten the technical details of their teaser right).

terminills 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 15:03:07
#178 ]
AROS Core Developer

Last edited by terminills on 22-Jul-2014 at 01:31 AM.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

Nameless 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 18:49:26
#179 ]

@umisef

I agree. I base all of my computing decisions on how accurate the company website is. If there is a mistake anywhere at all, I dismiss them outright -- especially for countdown timers, as they are so vital to everyday computing tasks.

----

I do realize the Amiga userbase is fragmented and cranky (for lack of a better word) due to so many broken promises in the past. But come on... at least wait for them to release something before complaining and nitpicking.

Last edited by Nameless on 17-Nov-2013 at 06:50 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Nov-2013 19:02:41
#180 ]
Elite Member

@Nameless

Is it just sarcasm or a personal preference to talk down others? I do not know. Nobody has to use Arix or support it in any way. And people like umisef who base their judgements on the "countdown timer" to make a judgement on product quality before they know anything it is almost too silly to even comment it. Or the other one who proofed that the project was done by individuals and not by a big company. Thanx we did not know. People should simply wait (something we should have learned as amiga-fans ) and then look at it when it is available. And then decide if it is worth to be supported or not.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle