Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 183 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  22 mins ago
 pixie:  41 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 cncparts:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 49 mins ago
 Beajar:  4 hrs 8 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 11 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 14 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 34 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  amiwest news
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
wawa 
Re: amiwest news
Posted on 27-Oct-2013 13:41:48
#241 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

certainly. thats where "team lead" originates from, i guess?

Profile     Report this post  
Trixie 
Posted on 27-Oct-2013 14:25:21
#242 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@wawa

Absolutely!

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

sundown 
Posted on 27-Oct-2013 18:44:01
#243 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

Quote:
Sadly for many who didn't go it really just seemed like 90% of it was last years Amiwest videos being replayed via the stream. For the record I'm talking about the information being provided.

Guess it all depends on what news you want to hear. There are 2 aspects for the show, news & social. Even if the show was a broken record, most of us would show up to spend a weekend with old friends.

lylehaze 
Posted on 27-Oct-2013 20:44:26
#244 ]

@sundown

Quote:
2 aspects for the show, news & social.

I found a LOT of both this year. It is odd that people who did not attend seem convinced that they know better.
Hopefully they'll all come out next year and see for themselves.

tonyw 
Posted on 27-Oct-2013 20:50:16
#245 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze

Egad! Do you want them to see the truth??!!??!?

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

terminills 
Posted on 27-Oct-2013 20:55:49
#246 ]
AROS Core Developer

@tonyw

Ok I'll bite. Besides new hardware what was really different than last year?

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

terminills 
Posted on 27-Oct-2013 20:57:15
#247 ]
AROS Core Developer

@sundown

I'm sure the social aspect was great. Unfortunately 90% of the viewers of Amiwest don't get that portion as they are viewing via stream. :)

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

sundown 
Posted on 27-Oct-2013 21:40:46
#248 ]
Elite Member

@terminills

Quote:
I'm sure the social aspect was great. Unfortunately 90% of the viewers of Amiwest don't get that portion as they are viewing via stream. :)

I understand that, but there are many rumors that non-os4 users are not welcome, just not true. It is true that the main focus is on os4, but only because os4 users show up, the show is user participation, if morphos & AROS users don't want to attend, then those platforms are ignored.

lylehaze 
Posted on 27-Oct-2013 21:50:36
#249 ]

@terminills

Quote:
Besides new hardware what was really different than last year?

"Besides new hardware" is a big exclusion. I bought one of the last Micro AOnes ever made, and that was the beginning of a long time without ANY new hardware available. Today we are spoiled for choices, with new boards or sytems available from two manufacturers.

The announcement of Cyrus, and the details behind it, is pretty big news. With multiple configurations coming we have some confidence in the immediate future of our platform.

But just for fun, let's cover a few "new" this year details:

A new SDK has been released. This is pretty big news for developers, and for users interested in learning development. I spent over $200 twenty years ago for the Lattice SDK for my classic Amiga. This one is free.

The include files and information necessary for making your own Bars&Pipes tools are in the hands of all who attended, and will soon be posted. Like the SDK, this was a paid item 20 years ago, and is now offered freely. Examples were shown and compiled, and questions were asked and answered.

A demonstration of a simple IP server and client was shown as well. There was discussion most of the week over different ways this can be used, and how many new avenues this code presents. As before it was all given freely.

And extensive lessons on exactly how crashes are handled and how to gather the clues they offer.

And all this happened before "AmiWest" officially opened.

I have no doubt that people who are looking for something to complain about will keep themselves busy. For myself I'd rather look for, and occasionally contribute to, things to be happy about.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 28-Oct-2013 0:27:35
#250 ]
Elite Member

@sundown

Quote:
most of us would show up to spend a weekend with old friends

I know this is going to sound terrible, but I find that when it comes to the amiga community, being able to just close the browser window is quite a blessing.

SACC-dude 
Posted on 28-Oct-2013 1:04:28
#251 ]

@CodeSmith

I thinks several things should be thought about...

Amiwest every year helps many folks to repair their classic amiga!
I, personally helped repair a couple 500s, updated at least two 1200s to newer hardware!

Amiwest every year offers lots and lots of solutions for classic owners!
One 1200 owner was able to update his machine with new roms and aca030 with 128 megs of mem.
(care of AmigaKit of England) and ...to get setup for wireless net.

At Amiwest community members get to buy, trade and share computers.
Two folks exchanged classic machines. then upgraded each!

I learned more programming at the class in two days then I had from a formal class.

Personal stories like these rarely get published, but are the backbone of why we (SACC) run Amiwest!

There's more, but I not the best typist...

Please remember AmiWest (16 years now) is MORE, a lot more then "annoucements"

M

SACC-dude 
Posted on 28-Oct-2013 1:13:45
#252 ]

@sundown
AmigaDave has come now for several Amiwests and presented MorphOS.
Sadly this year he could not attend due to health reasons.

We sorely missed him! He taught me all I know about morph.

And he did ask the morph community to help him. AFAIK, they all said no...

We (SACC) always ask for any and all flavors of amiga to attend and share.

Our user group is mostly classic owners still...

M

SACC-dude 
Posted on 28-Oct-2013 1:18:37
#253 ]

@terminills

IMO, those 90 percent should get themselves to AmiWest. (period)

Come next year, enjoy the fruits or our (SACC) labor!!!

We spend our time, money and effort. We are just a local user group! Understand that!

I think it's time (AmiWest 16 years) more of you lurkers come out and get involved!

M

amigadave 
Posted on 28-Oct-2013 2:02:35
#254 ]

@lylehaze,

I really hated missing the AmiWest Show and the Programming Seminar this year. I had planned on attending, right up until a few days before the show, when it became apparent that it was not in my best interest health wise, to go through with my plans to attend.

Thanks for your continuing work on Bars & Pipes and other software and tools for AmigaOS4.x. I look forward to seeing what you have done with your most recent work.

@any naysayers,

People who don't attend do not understand how important going to such a show can be for themselves, and the community as a whole, as attendance also encourages the sponsors of the show to keep going forward with their investments and plans for future development and hardware projects.

I must agree with all of the other posters who have stated that all Amiga inspired platforms are welcomed at AmiWest, and it is only the lack of attendance and participation by the MorphOS and AROS groups that makes AmiWest seem like an AmigaOS4.x biased show. I understand the difficulty and reluctance of the MorphOS Dev. Team's participation, due to the expense and seeming lack of interested users who live within North America, as they concentrate their energy and efforts more toward shows in Europe, where there are tons of users and several third party developers. Their money and time is better spent promoting MorphOS where the most users are located. Plus the fact that most MorphOS Dev. Team members make zero money for their involvement, so they can't recoup the cost of traveling to the West side of the USA to attend a small show. That is why I have volunteered to represent them for several years running, and why I am sad I could not do so this year.

It would be nice if more AROS and MorphOS users and developers could attend AmiWest each year, but it is not likely to increase significantly in the future, when most of the users and developers are located so far away and there is no financial gain for them to attend AmiWest.

Last edited by amigadave on 28-Oct-2013 at 02:04 AM.

lylehaze 
Posted on 28-Oct-2013 2:59:08
#255 ]

@amigadave

All Amiga varieties are welcomed, and you have represented unity between groups more than anyone else I know.

You were missed this year, and lots of people were asking about your well being.

I hope you are feeling better soon, and hopefully I'll see you next year.

SACC-dude 
Posted on 28-Oct-2013 3:11:27
#256 ]

@amigadave

I hope you're doing better. We did miss you.

BTW, I don't think there is any financial (inmediate) gain for anyone at Amiwest.
Maybe the hotel or food services?

I think AmiWest was always about getting together...users, devs, vendors...
I know that Many hope for reward down the road by the good will they build at the show.
I personally have always sought to not monitize the show.

The net is not the only or best way to spread the word about products in the amiga universe.
I think that morphos grows very slowly due to this badly used concept.
The chicken or the egg really affects morphos... if you don't know about morph from the best source, ie a person, why or how would anyone go looking for it???

If you had never come to AmiWest, I know that I would have never looked at it.

In sales or distribition, a product unknown is a product un-sold!

I KNOW that AmiWEst is a world wide venue, the morph team don't get that.

M

Last edited by SACC-dude on 28-Oct-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Last edited by SACC-dude on 28-Oct-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Last edited by SACC-dude on 28-Oct-2013 at 03:12 AM.

sundown 
Posted on 28-Oct-2013 4:40:20
#257 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:
I know this is going to sound terrible, but I find that when it comes to the amiga community, being able to just close the browser window is quite a blessing.

Please don't compare the forum crap with the atmosphere of the show. I do know what you mean with the forum, but the show atmosphere is worth experiencing.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 28-Oct-2013 8:41:27
#258 ]
Elite Member

@lylehaze

Ok Lyle, apart from the:-

"Quote:
Besides new hardware" is a big exclusion. I bought one of the last Micro AOnes ever made, and that was the beginning of a long time without ANY new hardware available. Today we are spoiled for choices, with new boards or sytems available from two manufacturers. The announcement of Cyrus, and the details behind it, is pretty big news. With multiple configurations coming we have some confidence in the immediate future of our platform. But just for fun, let's cover a few "new" this year details: A new SDK has been released. This is pretty big news for developers, and for users interested in learning development. I spent over $200 twenty years ago for the Lattice SDK for my classic Amiga. This one is free. The include files and information necessary for making your own Bars&Pipes tools are in the hands of all who attended, and will soon be posted. Like the SDK, this was a paid item 20 years ago, and is now offered freely. Examples were shown and compiled, and questions were asked and answered. A demonstration of a simple IP server and client was shown as well. There was discussion most of the week over different ways this can be used, and how many new avenues this code presents. As before it was all given freely. And extensive lessons on exactly how crashes are handled and how to gather the clues they offer. And all this happened before "AmiWest" officially opened. I have no doubt that people who are looking for something to complain about will keep themselves busy. For myself I'd rather look for, and occasionally contribute to, things to be happy about.

what else have the Roman's done for us?

Nothing! .....

TrevorD

Last edited by TrevorDick on 28-Oct-2013 at 08:41 AM.

terminills 
Posted on 28-Oct-2013 10:07:30
#259 ]
AROS Core Developer

@amigadave

Quote:
It would be nice if more AROS and MorphOS users and developers could attend AmiWest each year, but it is not likely to increase significantly in the future, when most of the users and developers are located so far away and there is no financial gain for them to attend AmiWest.

In this community there is no finacial gain.

However I didn't say anything about who wasn't represented. If I believed it was purely an AmigaOS 4 show I don't think I would have sponsored it. I was pointing out from the OS development side it really looked like nothing has happened in the last year.

terminills 
Posted on 28-Oct-2013 10:10:50
#260 ]
AROS Core Developer

@lylehaze

Quote:

A new SDK has been released. This is pretty big news for developers, and for users interested in learning development. I spent over $200 twenty years ago for the Lattice SDK for my classic Amiga. This one is free.

The include files and information necessary for making your own Bars&Pipes tools are in the hands of all who attended, and will soon be posted. Like the SDK, this was a paid item 20 years ago, and is now offered freely.

I guess I'm kind of spoiled being an opensource fan and having access to all the compilers and dev kits I need for most things.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle