Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 131 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  37 mins ago
 Rob:  37 mins ago
 A1200:  44 mins ago
 pixie:  48 mins ago
 matthey:  56 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 amigagr:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 16:30:15
#201 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
wanting PPC has nothing to do with rationality I think. They just want it, perhaps being different than mainstream or for nostalgic/emotional reasons

Of course. However, port to another CPU architecture requires massive investment, if you want maintain backward compatibility.

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Re: Bounty to prototyping a new cheap Motherboard with "Serious" CPU! Phase 1 (Specs)
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 16:32:45
#202 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

that discussion is OT of course

you can integrate 68k by UAE, you have a problem when wanting something like Petunia and when you want to run PPC software transparent. Both would need lots of work to do.

tangoone 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 16:36:38
#203 ]

Why cannot this community agree on a common hardware that is something that will bring amiga forrward but on the same time will bring new tech to the amiga like usb, ssd, 32 bit color, etc.

But on the same time is in the form factor that is possible for everyone to own with prices that is NORMAL!.

Raffaele 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 16:48:44
#204 ]

@tangoone

Quote:

tangoone wrote:
Why cannot this community agree on a common hardware that is something that will bring amiga forrward but on the same time will bring new tech to the amiga like usb, ssd, 32 bit color, etc.

But on the same time is in the form factor that is possible for everyone to own with prices that is NORMAL!.

Once you have USB 3 port on a motherboard and data sheets on how to make it working, then it should be trivial to make a driver for it.

SSD HDisks have SATA interfaces and Sata works flawlessly on SAM 460 and AmigaOS.

32 bit color is already available AFAIK... But actually AmigaOS and MorphOS cannot access VideoMemory RAM of Graphics cards more than 128Megabytes, due to obnoxious legacies.

pavlor 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 16:58:37
#205 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Quote:
128Megabytes

256 MB.

cdimauro 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 16:59:00
#206 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
you can take a look at the comments written to my Amiga articles, to a see very different reactions.

Well, your articles were weird. I hope it was such only by Google translate.

You're free to put a comment. Even vox and other peoples did it, in English.

/OT

tangoone 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 17:10:42
#207 ]

@Raffaele

Okey let me say it like this.

Most of us now use a amiga as a secound computer, ok. ?

So how can we produce some hardware that still is a classic amiga but will bring us forrward that will be something that can be a entry level amiga. ?

ASiegel 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 17:16:02
#208 ]

Raffaele claimed:
Quote:
Honestly who would in this community had had donated a bounty created on a Bill Buck site after the notorious Genesi spies & smuggling affair?

Delusional conspiracy theories aside, I would like to point out that close to 12.000 USD had been donated to the Odyssey and Directory Opus bounty projects... Both received substantial contributions from individuals using AmigaOS.

wawa 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 17:48:07
#209 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
Honestly who would in this community had had donated a bounty created on a Bill Buck site after the notorious Genesi spies & smuggling affair?

among others i did. and it has paid off. contrary to some known cases elsewhere.

billt 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 17:49:10
#210 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

I don't quite understand parts of this, such as b). Do yo umean something sortof like a modular/stackable riser card, perhaps parallel/in-plane with the motherboard rather than at a 90 degree angle to it?

I don't understand e). 2d? Sounds like graphics. Go with a gfx card or MXM laptop graphics card. I'm not sure how serial ports fit into that. I have a t4240 box, and it has two serial ports, so they are not without merit. I believe they both go direct to uart peripheral inside the t4240 itself, and at least one is useful for debug like the serial port output of AmigaOne XE, and I assume like on x1000 debug serial port.

For Mezannine, I like the idea and I'm a big fan of Com-Express format. Kindof comparable to classic Amiga motherboard with an accelerator card in it, which adds local accelerator memory, SCSI, etc. From all the ones I've looked at, COM-Express has the biggest capability, it's essentially a full PC on the mezzanine card, including SODIMM slots not on some other module standards, and the base (carrier) is mostly just wiring to the connectors, and whatever physical interfacing needs done near the connector, and then whatever other magic you want to add in on the carrier. I've seen modules with two SODIMMs, either stacked on the top side (away from carrier motherboard) or one on top and one underneath. Combining that, you could try for three slots if you're crazy enough. I'm not sure if there's enough expected empty space between carrier and mezzanine to stack two modules on top and stack another two on bottom, there may not be enough height there above the carrier to allow that. But at least two modern SODIMMs should be good absolute max capacity for a while, certainly far more than AmigaOS can yet address. DDR3 SODIMMs go up to 16GB each (8GB are easier to find though than 16GB per stick)
and I'm not sure what DDR4 SODIMMs are available or what PPC CPUs do DDR4. (I think a couple do now) Other Mezzanine standards I can think of all seem to require memory to be surface-mounted, no SODIMM or UDIMMs, so no user upgrades later on for the other types.

Last edited by billt on 06-Nov-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Last edited by billt on 06-Nov-2015 at 05:50 PM.

OldFart 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 18:04:11
#211 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@billt

Quote:
Do yo umean something sortof like a modular/stackable riser card, perhaps parallel/in-plane with the motherboard rather than at a 90 degree angle to it?

Exactly.
Quote:
2d? Sounds like graphics.
Which it is meant to be. Sorry for being unclear abou that one.Quote:
For Mezannine, I like the idea and I'm a big fan of Com-Express format. Kindof comparable to classic Amiga motherboard with an accelerator card in it...
The only thing I can say is that you have the clear picture here.

The only question is, is such a construction viable? Due to its 'mix-'n'-match' nature communities way outside our horizon may benifit collectively, created by the economies of scale. Whatever your needs are and your funds reach, there is always a fitting solution available to you. And standard cases can be used as the board mounting holes are already in the proper position.

OldFart

iggy 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 18:07:03
#212 ]

@Raffaele

Quote:

I'm with Andre on this one, I'd support a power2people bounty.

For some reason Bill Buck gets as much bad press as another Bill we are all familiar with, and most of it is unjustified.

OldFart 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 18:14:16
#213 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@iggy

Quote:
Good stuff.

Thank you. Just trying to be constructive.

Quote:
I was just looking at my Coldfire evaluation boards, and they are constructed in a similar fashion.
Sure I can't have 'invented' something new.

The more I think about this modularity, the more I'm convinced of it being worth investigating.

OldFart

Chuckt 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 19:50:10
#214 ]

@RWO

Quote:

RWO wrote:
@Raffaele

Why do you think you can make a Motherboard cheaper?

Just designing it would cost a lot

If the company is willing to give you the gerber files, you can send the PCB files to any place willing to make the circuit board.

A cheap service is Dirty PCBs.

Chuckt 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 19:53:09
#215 ]

@tonyw

Quote:

tonyw wrote:
@raffaele

Best get yourself a degree in Engineering first, earn yourself a few million. You're going to need the best part of a million dollars to get this little project off the ground.

Perhaps if every Amiga owner put in $1000, you might get enough to pay for the engineering and manufacture of a few prototypes. But I can think of only one or two people that I would trust to make that investment.

On the other hand, perhaps if you wait to see how the X-5040 turns out, you can just let someone else pay for the design work (as he's already successfully done several times).

If this was a DIY effort, it shouldn't cost megabucks but if it costs, I suspect it is because they are trying to recoup their money elsewhere.

$1,000 would buy me the software to generate the circuit board and all you need are the files to send to a board house to make a circuit board.

billt 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 21:11:21
#216 ]
Elite Member

@Chuckt

Quote:
$1,000 would buy me the software to generate the circuit board and all you need are the files to send to a board house to make a circuit board.

That price will get you software like Eagle, Schematic and Layout modules. For that, today I'd consider KiCad or DesignSpark, maybe Upverter for free and see how that goes, before spending money. Other than that you're probably looking at US$7000 or so for Altium.

billt 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 21:14:29
#217 ]
Elite Member

@Chuckt

Quote:
A cheap service is Dirty PCBs.

Olegil maybe can speak about how careful you may need to be with impedance control. Cheaper is not always good enough. I'm not sure about how careful you need to be with the relevant DDR, SREDES lanes, etc things.

Even if very tight controls are not required, you will at least need to choose appropriate thicknesses for core/prepeg to select your intended impedances, at whatever tolerancing level will work reliably.

Last edited by billt on 06-Nov-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Last edited by billt on 06-Nov-2015 at 09:28 PM.

utri007 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 22:10:36
#218 ]

Eleven pages nonsense about nonsense.

I would like to say that it surprises me, but it doesn't. :(

iggy 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 22:20:35
#219 ]

@utri007

Quote:

You would appear to be quite familiar with nonsense.

pavlor 
Posted on 6-Nov-2015 22:26:43
#220 ]
Elite Member

@utri007

Quote:

Usual way here on AmigaWorld.net.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle