Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 48 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  1 min ago
 AmigaPapst:  10 mins ago
 AndreasM:  55 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 1 min ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  News about Vampire and Apollo
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 Next Page )
PosterThread
kolla 
Re: News about Vampire and Apollo
Posted on 14-Dec-2017 14:14:38
#1441 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

Quote:

If unable to assist due to lack of knowledge or available free time, then its up to the Team itself to allocate their focus how they see fit.

And that goes both ways. Gunnar himself on IRC has called certain other hardware developers idiots for pursuing 030 cards etc instead of just accepting his glorious superior design.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 14-Dec-2017 15:59:02
#1442 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

LOL. Well he needs to fix his superior hardware to co-operate with other cards. Not much use having the fastest card around if it conflicts with other commmon hardware and can't be used with anything that has a scsi.device.

kolla 
Posted on 14-Dec-2017 17:05:40
#1443 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

I owned a A4000 with 68EC030 processor and I am not aware of anything not working on it

What Zorro cards did you use with it?

EDIT: just found a fairly recent support thread involving use of MMU, curious about how such situations would be handled if there was a card with Apollo Core involved.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88537

Last edited by kolla on 14-Dec-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Overflow 
Posted on 14-Dec-2017 18:26:36
#1444 ]

@kolla

What addons would you like to use with the Zorro port, that you cant (in the future) use via USB?

I realise the Zorro cards wont be adapted to USB, but Im more thinking about having equivalent hardware features thru USB addons that you in the past used thru Zorro.

Genuine question since Ive NEVER used Zorro.

OlafS25 
Posted on 15-Dec-2017 11:01:45
#1445 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Picasso 2 graphic card

kolla 
Posted on 15-Dec-2017 22:31:05
#1446 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Right, a zorro2 only card. It gets worse when you want to use actual zorro3 cards, even more so when blending zorro2 and zorro3 cards.

kolla 
Posted on 15-Dec-2017 23:04:09
#1447 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

Quote:
What addons would you like to use with the Zorro port, that you cant (in the future) use via USB? I realise the Zorro cards wont be adapted to USB, but Im more thinking about having equivalent hardware features thru USB addons that you in the past used thru Zorro.

Genuine question since Ive NEVER used Zorro.

Yes, good question, what do "most people" use zorro for.

* Mediator, along with PCI graphics cards and various I/O cards
* Deneb or Highway (which are a USB controllers)
* Ethernet, especially X-Surf these days, (often along with Rapidroad USB)
* Various controllers for legacy storage devices (most often SCSI)
* Various legacy I/O controllers
* Zorro 3 Fast RAM

In principle, a lot of these things _can_ be done using USB, but that requires more development, drivers needs to be written and maintained etc. The existing cards and solutions are well known and do have drivers that currently work. As owner and user of Deneb (and Highway, Subway...), I kinda have an idea about the state of USB on Amiga, and let's just say that there is room for improvements. Lots of room.

But then, as Gunnar has assured everyone, there is no problem, everything will just work, also zorro3, like magic :)

Last edited by kolla on 15-Dec-2017 at 11:06 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 16-Dec-2017 3:18:27
#1448 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:

even though one or two mediator rtg cards offer moderate 3d support, the bus throughput performance is abysmal. you can have some pretty static high res workbench, fine, as long as you dont run some pixel cunching application on it.

Quote:

deneb is an argument, even though hard to come by these days. i hope vampire will offer some usb2 option.

Quote:

they have an aternative solution via mini sd slot afaik. xsurf is fine, but rapidroad is pio. so taking performance handicap into account it should even take advantage of apollo processing power, while not causing any dma issues. even though afair there wont be dma issues with vampire, even though no legacy mmu.

Quote:

fastlane might be worth a hassle. other than that scsi interfaces worth mention are equipped with dedicated accelerators, and are not zorro expansions themselves.

Quote:

wonder what i/o would that be. what for do you need multiple serial and parallel ports today.

Quote:
* Zorro 3 Fast RAM

doesnt make sense. with vampire even more so. paging to a harddisk is faster to access.

Last edited by wawa on 16-Dec-2017 at 03:20 AM.

kolla 
Posted on 16-Dec-2017 11:58:25
#1449 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

Quote:

even though one or two mediator rtg cards offer moderate 3d support, the bus throughput performance is abysmal. you can have some pretty static high res workbench, fine, as long as you dont run some pixel cunching application on it.

Sure, but people have them and will expect them to continue to work. And 3D is not everything, there are also the cards that offer analogue signals, PiP, etc. that can be quite useful, depending on what the user wants to use the machine for.

Quote:

Quote:

deneb is an argument, even though hard to come by these days. i hope vampire will offer some usb2 option.

V4 comes with a USB port, but it is not known what state any driver is in. Poseidon source are currently in the hands of AROS it seems, so anything should be possible (but it also seems no-one is interested in maintaining it for AmigaOS, AROS has a few drivers that don't even exist for Poseidon on AmigaOS),

Quote:

Quote:

they have an aternative solution via mini sd slot afaik.

Yes, *we* do. I have myself built two of these "alternative solution" for my V2 cards, this is far from being the "ultimate solution", neither in speed nor stability.

Quote:

xsurf is fine, but rapidroad is pio. so taking performance handicap into account it should even take advantage of apollo processing power, while not causing any dma issues. even though afair there wont be dma issues with vampire, even though no legacy mmu.

Well, that is yet to be seen. What I am saying, is that the lack of tools to access the MMU makes it so much harder to debug. Time will show, if they ever get there at all.

Quote:

Quote:

fastlane might be worth a hassle. other than that scsi interfaces worth mention are equipped with dedicated accelerators, and are not zorro expansions themselves.

True. my CSPPC for example comes with SCSI3 controller onboard. But if I was to replace the CSPPC with a apollo core card, what are the odds they put an equivalent fast storage controller on that? 6Gbit SATA? Or a legacy SCSI controller?

Quote:

Quote:

wonder what i/o would that be. what for do you need multiple serial and parallel ports today.

Serial console on all your Raspberry Pis? :)
There are not just serial port, there is also i2c and more.

Quote:

Quote:
* Zorro 3 Fast RAM

doesnt make sense.

Depending on the system, it can make a lot of sense.
For example if all you have is a A3640 or A3660 and max 16MB on motherboard.

Quote:

with vampire even more so.

That is true, newer cards should come with more RAM onboard.
512MB (minus whatever is used for SAGA and "chipram") is hopefully enough for a little while, but it's not difficult to use up all that as well with ports of "modern" software and games.

Quote:
paging to a harddisk is faster to access.

If you have a CyberStorm with SCSI3 and a fast disk, and option to do paging at all (which again require MMU). Gunnar has stated that whenever there is need for more RAM, they will provide cards with more RAM. I expect that to happen quite soon.

megol 
Posted on 17-Dec-2017 14:57:55
#1450 ]

@Overflow

Quote:

Overflow wrote:
@megol

I have no problems reading spesific and objective commentary regarding features of Apollo and Vampire, including limitations/lack of features.
But quite often posts goes from objective to subjective, people unable to contain themselves in a negatively loaded way. On both sides of the argument.

You have issues with Gunnars approach to the MMU. But Matthew Garrett (if a real account) seems inclined to work with the current version if given details of the instructions. What stops you from doing the same? Maybe its cause of disagreements regarding the roadmap, and hence you wont work with them no matter what they do...? Unless they change their roadmap to mirror the legacy features 100%?

Not as much actually. Again I would think the current situation would be more than okay IFF the limitations were accepted and even explained by the team*. But as now they claim** that their 68080 is super-compatible, even more so than the legacy processors. That is simply ludicrous.

(* my impression is that Gunnar calls the shots and so his opinions is the opinions of the team, may be mistaken as I'm not involved and don't want to get involved)
(** again this is something that may have changed. They _have_ claimed this a number of times)

Quote:

And with regards to FPU, Jari decided to code instead of do fencing on forum. The SoftFPU performance was pretty horrific initially, but as development advances, so does performance.
Jari has posted about the assistance he has gotten from the Apollo Team advancing his SoftFPU, and it came about once Jari showed REAL intrest in helping advance the project. Im sure kolla would get more favorable reactions from the team if he offered real assistance/development instead of sour grapes.

Actually doing something is always to be commended. One of my personal Amiga heroes is Majsta that saw a lack for something and learned FPGA programming, electronics and manufacturing in order to do that something. The Vampire is the result of that personal effort done in order to give him and others lower cost, higher performance accelerators. Can't but admire that.

But my problem here is yet again not the use of a software based hardware accelerated design for the FPU. In fact I and others have promoted this approach for improving 68k performance - punt hard stuff to software with the common stuff be done in hardware.
My problem is that Gunnar have claimed the team had a 100% hardware FPU with good compatiblity that just needed to be tested and included into the core.

Either that claim wasn't true or the design had some fundamental problem found in testing.

Quote:

If unable to assist due to lack of knowledge or available free time, then its up to the Team itself to allocate their focus how they see fit.

Of course. That doesn't mean us on the outside can't disagree with the choices or the presentation of those.

And I have to again state it is my opinion that the Apollo project is an impressive one that boosts the Amiga platform and even the 68k world closer to the state of art. But it's not perfect (nothing ever is).

Petah 
Posted on 17-Dec-2017 15:30:29
#1451 ]

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
they have an aternative solution via mini sd slot afaik. xsurf is fine, but rapidroad is pio. so taking performance handicap into account it should even take advantage of apollo processing power, while not causing any dma issues. even though afair there wont be dma issues with vampire, even though no legacy mmu.

Quote:
astlane might be worth a hassle. other than that scsi interfaces worth mention are equipped with dedicated accelerators, and are not zorro expansions themselves.

Quote:

Quote:
doesnt make sense. with vampire even more so. paging to a harddisk is faster to access.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Dec-2017 17:09:46
#1452 ]
Elite Member

@Petah

or maybe you tell me what it about my post is being pessimistic, and illustrate it with another picture maybe five times as big this time, in order to make me understand better.

in fact i consider it quite positive that most of add on hardware, that has been necessary to deliver some functionality to amiga is being incorporated in apollo/vampire without the penalty of bottlenecks that had to be taken into account with it, such as slow or pio only transfer on legacy system buses, designed before a quoter of century.

kolla 
Posted on 17-Dec-2017 17:21:56
#1453 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
such as slow or pio only transfer on legacy system buses, designed before a quoter of century.

You are describing the sdnet solution :)

wawa 
Posted on 17-Dec-2017 17:35:12
#1454 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:
Sure, but people have them and will expect them to continue to work. And 3D is not everything, there are also the cards that offer analogue signals, PiP, etc. that can be quite useful, depending on what the user wants to use the machine for.

you are speaking of elbox tv card solution over pci? well, at least for some time i have considered it a "useful" even if hacky feature. now, do i need to remind you that mediator is only able to dma between pci devices. all transfer over zorro is pio, and while its responsible for a low data rates, at least it shouldnt cause any imaginary or potential problems with the vampire.

Quote:
V4 comes with a USB port, but it is not known what state any driver is in. Poseidon source are currently in the hands of AROS it seems, so anything should be possible (but it also seems no-one is interested in maintaining it for AmigaOS, AROS has a few drivers that don't even exist for Poseidon on AmigaOS),

not quite. device drivers such as the deneb one or thr later rapid road implementation have not been open sourced. also the api has been extended on aros with some entry in some of the structures. i dont know the details. but it shouldnt be so much of a problem. perhaps the aros cotributions have not been of enough interest for amiga community, because the drivers probably refer to pci extensions, and *we* ;)) mediator users are just a few.

Quote:
Yes, *we* do. I have myself built two of these "alternative solution" for my V2 cards, this is far from being the "ultimate solution", neither in speed nor stability.

believe me, deneb driver was quite flacky with dma at its release. good thing ive been one of the early adopters and given enough complaints and extensive testing on my part michael was soon able to push an update that worked around barely known issues and quirks of zorro3 data transfer. kudos to him at this point for excellent expertise and serious support!

Quote:
Depending on the system, it can make a lot of sense. For example if all you have is a A3640 or A3660 and max 16MB on motherboard

may i remind you, we are talking here of vampire which is equipped with minimum 128mb ram.
;)
considering the circumstances zorro ram boards are just for show. the slow access to this amount of ram completely defeats it applicability. even ram disk doesnt make sense if data transfer is slower than to actual mass storage.

similar comment is applicable to the other memory and interface speed considerations. i still think that cs mk3(ppc) only standing advantage is the excellent scsi controller. this is the sole reason i keep this card, not using its ppc side at all.

Last edited by wawa on 17-Dec-2017 at 05:35 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 17-Dec-2017 17:39:29
#1455 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:

perhaps. what speed is expectable of such a solution? i might have benchmarked xsurf mk1 i own with aros, but i dont remember the results. however again, i wouldnt expect anythyng effectively beyond 7mb/s over mediator.

Last edited by wawa on 17-Dec-2017 at 05:39 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 17-Dec-2017 18:26:52
#1456 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

Quote:

perhaps. what speed is expectable of such a solution?

Up to 800 kB/sec no-duplex, on a very good day, it's using a 10Mbit module. V600 owners are in general adviced to use PCMCIA ethernet instead.

Quote:
i might have benchmarked xsurf mk1 i own with aros, but i dont remember the results. however again, i wouldnt expect anythyng effectively beyond 7mb/s over mediator.

I would, lots more than 7 millibit :) Do you mean megabit or megabyte?
7 MB/sec is quite ok.

Last edited by kolla on 17-Dec-2017 at 06:27 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 17-Dec-2017 19:11:25
#1457 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@kolla
now, do i need to remind you that mediator is only able to dma between pci devices.

Just like there can be DMA transfers between Zorro-III cards as well, that are not going through the bottleneck that is the buster chip.

Quote:
perhaps the aros cotributions have not been of enough interest for amiga community, because the drivers probably refer to pci extensions, and *we* ;)) mediator users are just a few.

Yes, well in particular I was interested in the RNDIS device support that seems to have shown up in AROS, yet doesn't exist in Amiga/68k Poseidon. I didn't pursue it far though.

My understanding is that there is zero interest in continued development of Poseidon in Amiga community, as it works "well enough" as it is.

Quote:
may i remind you, we are talking here of vampire which is equipped with minimum 128mb ram.

Are we? AFAIK we are just talking about a potential scenario with Apollo Core used on a yet non-existing fantasy CPU card for A3000 and A4000, maybe Vampire, maybe not, maybe even a spin-off from mentioned A36x0 cards with a "for free 060 class" variant of Apollo Core. Hopefully with on-board RAM, of course.

Quote:
i still think that cs mk3(ppc) only standing advantage is the excellent scsi controller. this is the sole reason i keep this card, not using its ppc side at all.

Yes, and as of yet, have there been any indications that a card with Apollo Core will provide anything even close to its performance? I mean "Fast IDE" has so far been pushing it up to around 10-11MB/sec on the V2, I don't know what to expect from "Fast IDE" on V4.

Last edited by kolla on 17-Dec-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Last edited by kolla on 17-Dec-2017 at 07:11 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 17-Dec-2017 19:45:44
#1458 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

Quote:

With regards to Linux, if this guy is for real;

http://www.apollo-core.com/knowledge.php?b=4¬e=11498

then there might some progress. If he is for real, and not a prank account, and have time to work on it, then he might be able to develop using the current Vampire MMU, instead of demanding legacy versions.

One can hope. He is for real (working for RedHat if I recall correctly), though his name doesn't exactly frequent the Linux-m68k mailing list at all :) It would be a great exercise for the Apollo Team to work with people like him, it could very well take the Apollo Core out of the bubble that is Amiga, and into "real world", something that would also benefit Amiga again.

The "demand" for legacy MMU will still be there for any code that doesn't have the luxury of being open source. Look at Thierry, who wants to run NeXTSTEP on his V4, hehe :)

With some luck, Gunnar will find someone with enough skill, patience and legal freedom to work on a legacy MMU layer for him, or at least lay the foundation for it, the same way FEMU did. The only person who could fit that role in "Amiga land" is probably ThoR, while in Linux and BSD communities there are plenty.

One thing is for sure, once there is a legacy MMU, it will be the greatest, fastest, bestest and compatibilitiestest (!!) MMU of all!! And those of us who have been "demanding" will get the usual slap for not contributing.

tlosm 
Posted on 17-Dec-2017 23:21:22
#1459 ]
Elite Member

@kolla
_
Yes, and as of yet, have there been any indications that a card with Apollo Core will provide anything even close to its performance? I mean "Fast IDE" has so far been pushing it up to around 10-11MB/sec on the V2, I don't know what to expect from "Fast IDE" on V4.
_

on my cyberstormppc on it cybscsi uw2 i had a sata to scsi with a ssd .. the transfer rate was on the ssd about 30mb/s . my cpu was a 68060/66mhz with 604e 366mhz.

Last edited by tlosm on 17-Dec-2017 at 11:21 PM.

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Rob 
Posted on 18-Dec-2017 1:36:11
#1460 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

@kolla

Quote:

In my experience the Mediator + Voodoo3 combo was adequate for 3D accelerated software available for 68k and WarpOS.

The current Vampire's RTG has a slow pixel clock so it can't realistically do higher than 720p so can't have as high a resolution for your Workbench and applications as you can with a Mediator with a Voodoo or Radeon card. Maybe this will change with the V4.

You can have multiple RTG displays with P96 so even if V4 provided better RTG in every way there would still be cases where PCI/Zorro RTG cards would be useful for some users.

PCI sound cards can be used for sampling. Will the V4 be able to capture audio too?

TV cards can be be used as a frame grabber via VHI studio. There is no such option with the vampire hardware.

Simply put, the Vampire doesn't make every piece of hardware that came before obsolete.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle