Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
30 crawler(s) on-line.
 145 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

AndreasM,  Hypex

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AndreasM:  23 secs ago
 Hypex:  1 min ago
 kolla:  8 mins ago
 Gunnar:  20 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  59 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 15 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Hyperion release official AmigaOS WB3.1 & Kickstart 3.1 updates !!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
PosterThread
gregthecanuck 
Re: Hyperion release official AmigaOS WB3.1 & Kickstart 3.1 updates !!!
Posted on 28-Oct-2016 0:55:45
#121 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

LOL :)

@ne_one, pavlor, overflow

Hyperion's business is selling software. They have the rights to do both OS3 and OS4 development. With the Vampire and Amiga Reloaded products coming down the line and other retro uses becoming more popular I see there is a distinct possibility OS3 sales could match volumes with OS4 sales. Who wouldn't take advantage of that?

But let's face it... for now the OS3 *and* OS4 markets are still small-potatoes. This isn't "big business" (yet). We are dealing with an enthusiast market. Users need to adjust their expectations accordingly.

And people still need to realize that often there will be the same users buying updates to *both* versions OS3 and OS4. I am in that camp. I have an A1-XE and some classic systems as well [ waiting for a Vampire ]. Who knows - if the Tabor is decent enough I may pick one of those up as well and pass the A1-XE along to someone else.

We have all been starved for our "Amiga fix" for so long and we are just starting to see some very cool stuff coming down the line. Let's embrace the change and look ahead.

Cheers!

Profile     Report this post  
BoingBear 
Posted on 28-Oct-2016 8:12:21
#122 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
i wish both hyperion and cloanto well. the platform is in excellent hands -- both from the perspective of preserving the past and carrying the amiga forward.

-- eliyahu

Good hands!?!

Those are very "Rose" tinted glasses you appear to be sporting today eliyahu!

I do happen to agree with your other point that some people are trying to blow this news up into something much more important (sinister, or threatening, or conspiracy inspired) than it really is.

I really dislike the management/owners of Hyperion Entertainment and the way they do business without keeping their customers informed, plus all of their false/misleading claims. But I have no problem with them selling anything they own a license to market and/or further develop. I think that anyone foolish enough to delude themselves into thinking that Hyperion Entertainment has the desire, financial resources, or man power to improve AmigaOS3.x, are only setting themselves up for a huge disappointment. It appears to me that Hyperion only did the minimum amount of work to simplify the different versions of AmigaOS3.1 into a single version, which was supposed to work on any model of Commodore, or Amiga Technologies/Escom Amiga computer, and all emulators & FPGA clones. This was done to simplify the process of selling AmigaOS3.1 and Kickstart3.1, not because they want to work on improving either product. The inclusion of the Y2K fix was thrown in because it was work that was already completed, and did not require any new coding to create it, other than the work to copy it to the disk image and the renaming of the original file.

I don't believe Hyperion has any intentions to work on future improvements/enhancements to AmigaOS3.x, or even to attempt to back port any parts of AmigaOS4.x to AmigaOS3.x, but if they were smart, they would realize that today, after all their efforts to create and market AmigaOS4.x, the user base for AmigaOS3.x is still several times larger than the AmigaOS4.x user base, and they could make more money with future development of AmigaOS3.x, than they will ever make on AmigaOS4.x for PPC AmigaOne hardware. I believe that even after A-Eon releases the Tabor, there will remain more AmigaOS3.x users on old original hardware, emulators, and FPGA clones, than there will ever be for all AmigaOne hardware and AmigaOS4.x. Just the sad truth for Hyperion (and unfortunately for A-Eon too).

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 28-Oct-2016 8:59:46
#123 ]
Elite Member

@thread

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/26/it_took_20_years_to_get_amiga_workbench_31_an_update_and_only_a_fortnight_to_get_patched/

gregthecanuck 
Posted on 28-Oct-2016 9:38:29
#124 ]
Cult Member

@BoingBear

A-Eon is releasing software for OS3 and OS4. They "love" both platforms.

Why shouldn't Hyperion? It's all income/revenue. Both parties "win" when both the OS3 and OS4 ecosystems grow.

outrun1978 
Posted on 28-Oct-2016 16:35:35
#125 ]
Cult Member

@gregthecanuck

I agree its better to have stuff released than nothing at all......

Beans 
Posted on 28-Oct-2016 17:45:43
#126 ]

@Signal

All these guys are a little too tightly wrapped.
As if further developing OS3.1 would be a bad thing...

QuikSanz 
Posted on 28-Oct-2016 18:08:18
#127 ]

@Thread,

Would be nice to get Hyperion/AeonKit to develop a 1meg boot ROM solution for all classics and make an "Official" ROM. That would let Cloanto make many "Special" ROM's for other non Amiga machines.

Best of both worlds!

Rob 
Posted on 28-Oct-2016 19:34:35
#128 ]
Elite Member

@QuikSanz

There's A500Flash, the 1MB versions supports 1MB ROMs.

Both Elbox and Individual Computers have also made such expansions in the past.

http://www.elbox.com/products/eflash_4000.html

http://wiki.icomp.de/wiki/Kickflash

You could probably make versions with more flash if there was ever there was a need for ROM bigger than 1MB.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 28-Oct-2016 21:17:37
#129 ]

@Rob,

That may work for 500's & 2000's we need a standard for all flavors. They make it work as standard and expand the ROM's. Don't care for update reboot anymore, needs to be done away with across the Amiga line up.

ne_one 
Posted on 29-Oct-2016 20:41:49
#130 ]
Cult Member

@gregthecanuck

Quote:
Hyperion's business is selling software. They have the rights to do both OS3 and OS4 development.

Hyperion, Cloanto and everyone else involved in this market clearly has the right to do (or not do) whatever they want. Capitalizing on any opportunity is valid - especially if it's used to subsidize other development work. That's what selling is all about.

But you can only slice the legacy market into so many wedges.

Quote:
We have all been starved for our "Amiga fix" for so long and we are just starting to see some very cool stuff coming down the line. Let's embrace the change and look ahead.

Virtually all of these developments are hardware-related and maintain the status quo.

It's great that users will (hopefully) be able to get (and afford) a faster, old platform but for change to occur and any embracing or forward-looking, the OS needs to evolve or be replaced.

ne_one 
Posted on 29-Oct-2016 20:51:21
#131 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Quote:
I think Hyperion´s market is OS4. Classic OS3 sales may help fund development of the main OS branch.

That would definitely make sense - assuming it doesn't become Cloanto vs. Hyperion competing for the same market.

From comments made by the principals, I get the impression there isn't much love there to begin with.

And I'm not convinced that either company has the interest or the resources to move things forward. But... they do have the ability to open source some of the OS or license it to other parties to do the work.

The whole point here isn't OS3 vs. OS4 or new vs. old. The technology now exists to bring these worlds together and push it forward.

number6 
Posted on 25-Apr-2017 19:57:15
#132 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Rather lengthy discussion of this same topic:

Official update to OS 3.1 from Hyperion

Since all of the activity in April of this year, several threads have become quite active with offers of large sums of money, coalitions, threats, and now hiring of an attorney.

It's also going on here:

Picasso96 sold...

and here:

Critical components to open source

Lots of devs posting in these threads, as well as other interested parties.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 25-Apr-2017 21:19:41
#133 ]

@number6

Wow, many treads and posts and nicks not everyone knows. Feel free to post a summary of what you consider to be the essence your findings...

number6 
Posted on 25-Apr-2017 21:44:08
#134 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Based on all the news this month I'd say that (as usual in amigaland when status quo changes) some people sense opportunity and some people feel threatened.

I believe these 3 threads are an example of AmigaNorm.

iggy 
Posted on 26-Apr-2017 11:20:54
#135 ]

@QuikSanz

Quote:
...make many "Special" ROM's for other non Amiga machines

There you go!

I want an Amiga rom for my '040 Next system!

Free the roms!

@number6

Quote:
...some people sense opportunity and some people feel threatened.

Ain't that the truth, as if competition and the increased availability of a diverse hardware/software base was a bad thing.

We need to keep things proprietary like Apple.

Last edited by iggy on 26-Apr-2017 at 11:24 AM.

ne_one 
Posted on 26-Apr-2017 15:32:26
#136 ]
Cult Member

@iggy

Quote:

as if competition and the increased availability of a diverse hardware/software base was a bad thing.

Gee, there's a novel idea.

Coopetition anyone?

iggy 
Posted on 26-Apr-2017 16:00:44
#137 ]

@ne_one

Quote:
Coopetition anyone?

I'm not sure if that is a misspelling or not, but it makes a good phrase for the market.
Competition, cooperation...coopetition.

Why not?

Hammer 
Posted on 27-Apr-2017 4:56:07
#138 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:

TRIPOS wrote:
@pixie

Quote:

pixie wrote:
@ExiE

they just weren't 3.1 updates...

Normally you use different version numbers to reflect... UPDATES! You know, like introducing new stuff, modifying old stuff, basically making and releasing different binaries that differs both in release date and contents!

I must say Hyperion has a very special way of treating versioning of releases (which in an Amiga context is actually defined in RKRM's in Commodore days already). First they spend a few years calling their OS 4.0 pre-release 1-4 (for Amiga Inc contractual reasons). Then they spend another decade calling their OS 4.1 update 1-6 (for OS4.2 promises to community reasons). Then OS 4.1 FE (final edition). Soon OS 4.1 FE update 1 (for "final" not being final after all reasons). And now an updated Workbench 3.1 without any updated version number at all!

No, the true reason can only be that they want their version (with their licensed trade marks etc) to be the "new" old original. The first and only true update to 68k Amiga/Workbench since 20 years (but not really an update, since it is the original after all, made by Hyperion)! Now it's already about repeating it enough times to make it real!

History revisionists should take notes, and let's party like it's 1984!

Windows 10 has multiple release builds both minor and major e.g. Windows 10 version 1703 (build 15063.138)

Last edited by Hammer on 27-Apr-2017 at 04:59 AM.

Acill 
Posted on 27-Apr-2017 5:31:02
#139 ]

I've bought this ROM and can byte swap the single ROM for A500/2000/600 machines and get it to work after burning an EPROM, but cant get any of the RAMsplit utilities to work on it. How am I supposed to be able to use this in my 1200, 4000 and 4000T?

ne_one 
Posted on 27-Apr-2017 14:51:16
#140 ]
Cult Member

@iggy

Quote:

I'm not sure if that is a misspelling or not, but it makes a good phrase for the market.
Competition, cooperation...coopetition.

Pshaw... take a mulligan - I'm sure you've heard that term before.

It was popularized through game theory but has been around since Moses was in short pants.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle