Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 44 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  33 mins ago
 Gunnar:  38 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 5 mins ago
 eliyahu:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 48 mins ago
 Marcian:  4 hrs 54 mins ago
 michalsc:  4 hrs 55 mins ago
 vox:  6 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  super interesting (PPC-Notebook - Acube Collaboration)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
paolone 
Re: super interesting (PPC-Notebook - Acube Collaboration)
Posted on 22-Mar-2018 8:43:27
#81 ]

@OneTimer1

The big mistake about TAO and Amiga had been Amiga Inc talking about it to the Amiga community, which just complained "it wasn't Amiga anymore" and - I remember very well - it got very vocal and very nervous about that. I guess Amiga Inc just got frightened it wouldn't be accepted at all once realized in an actual product, and eventually scrapped it. Or maybe it was just too much pricey for McBill's poket.

The rule here is: "if it has the name Amiga and it doesn't fit Amiga habits very well, NEVER EVER talk about it to the Amiga community"

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 22-Mar-2018 9:40:57
#82 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

Quote:
The rule here is: "if it has the name Amiga and it doesn't fit Amiga habits very well, NEVER EVER talk about it to the Amiga community"

you think amiga community could be somehow tricked into buying in what didnt fit their habits very well if they didnt know it in advance, except that it was called amiga?

paolone 
Posted on 22-Mar-2018 11:38:29
#83 ]

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@paolone

Quote:

you think amiga community could be somehow tricked into buying in what didnt fit their habits very well if they didnt know it in advance, except that it was called amiga?

This is absolutely irrelevant. If you actually develop, produce and release something, amigans and not-amigans will have the choice either to buy or not to buy it. If you come here and you talk about your own project which involves Amiga but does not fit into the "AmigaOS-like" category, well, you'll get only bashing, rants, complains, and any kind of demotivational behavior, if not insults and menaces. This will shortly bring you to reconsider anything you though about, if you don't know this community's dynamics very well.

simplex 
Posted on 22-Mar-2018 13:23:44
#84 ]
Cult Member

@paolone

Quote:
If you come here and you talk about your own project which involves Amiga but does not fit into the "AmigaOS-like" category, well, you'll get only bashing, rants, complains, and any kind of demotivational behavior, if not insults and menaces.

Twenty years ago things were different. (That's almost how long it's been, too!) I remember the objections that it wasn't Amiga but I also remember a lot of people who thought, "yeah, this fits in with the philosophy, and it makes Amiga modern."

As for why it didn't happen, I always thought that was pretty clear: the guys in Snoqualmie didn't actually know how to run a business, let alone the business they had; the dot-com crash brought an abrupt and ugly end to the days of finding money to support any idea that appeared to lacked actual talent; and Hyperion figured out a way to walk off with AmigaOS 4, aided in some part by poor management practices at Amiga, Inc. (hockey rink naming rights, anyone? failure to pay devs?).

I really don't see how McEwen was spooked. He and his band simply didn't have the talent and/or self-discipline required to save what was left.

Added in edit: The red/blue war probably didn't help, either. I don't remember if Amiga, Inc. and Genesi engaged in actual lawfare the way Hyperion does but I remember a lot more blood spilled among users in that regard (with no small amount of antipathy for AROS as well).

Last edited by simplex on 22-Mar-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Mar-2018 14:17:26
#85 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
It's like they can't envisage you wanting other members of your family to have access to your files or needing to use a different version of MacOS with your files on a different partition with no barriers!

I've found this myself and also so with Linux. I can never move files around easily because I always tend to run into permission problems. I wouldn't mind so much if it just asked for a password. Since some files are tied to the root user. But it mostly it gives an error that I don't have permission.

A useful work around is to copy files to an external drive like a USB stick that is FAT formatted. Well it tends to work okay. You can then copy the files off easily from another computer.

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Mar-2018 15:04:21
#86 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:
Well, security would be more of an issue than it already is with Linux-Android. AmigaOS really doesn't have a concept of security... I would also want other robust features like resource tracking for more stability.

I should have claified in my short post. When I said using AmigaOS as a base I did mean that as a base to build features on. So features like security and RT would have to be built onto the original model. As well as the original MMU concept that Commodore threw out. After all, any advanced OS had to start somewhere, these features didn't turn up over night.

Quote:
I do actually have several accounts on my phone. I have a "game" and "app" account, which does not give real email data to nosy things, as my email account is a different one. It also allows me to play multiplayer games with my kid on the family ipad, which would otherwise also use my same username. Some games require different usernames for multiplayer over network.

That's actually a good idea. I also find "free" apps can give trouble. Since they always have ads. Recently I saw a free app take over a mobile and fill it with ads. Where as on another mobile it worked fine with minimal ad invasion.

Of course, with millions of people creating apps, the free app concept is lost in the modern world unlike the truly free Amiga programs that were given out of the kindness of ones heart.

Quote:
As you said, Android is very much like AmigaDE - Linux with basically everything running in a Java VM, which is basically what DE/Tao Intent was. Really too bad they found a way to screw that up...

Well Amiga wise it was foreign really. The "company" promoting the idea didn't seem to know what an Amiga is. Of couse by that time it was getting a bit late for a new Amiga. So that left building on AmigaOS ideas. They did get AmigaOS3.9 out. Then things started to screw up.

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Mar-2018 15:11:52
#87 ]
Elite Member

@Leo

Quote:
You can defintely stop wondering.

Well like I started to billt I didn't mean AmigaOS as it is now. Or even back then. But using it as a minimal base and building these features on. We have user IDs in the file system and there were ones like multi user filesystem. coming into being. I can even see the Work concept being updated so Work becomes a home volume rather than a general partition with all the user stuff thrown in. Things haven't progressed since so OS4 is certainly stuck at the single user level currently.

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Mar-2018 15:20:57
#88 ]
Elite Member

@asymetrix

Quote:
Yes an no, problem with Amiga is slow development software and a rigid old GUI.

Both these things would need to be replaced. LOL. If it had been used as a base, with the finances coming in, they seriously would have needed to step it up.

Quote:
They have a C/C++ core that binds with javascript to create the GUI/UI, even software is being built like the advanced designer software Sketch app.

When I read that I was think of SketchBlock.

Quote:
Alot of ladies love Sketch app - because it looks pretty and makes designing things faster.

And I would love a lot of ladies because they look pretty.

Quote:
Hard to believe its being run by a Javascript engine + css + html widgets, for fast light, dynamic settings.

It is since this involves text interpretation. Fine for loading. But for realtime changes using a text based language doesn't seem the best idea to me.

Quote:
Its like a browser UI and its plugins for all the OS and its software.

Even back at Windows '95 we saw this interface design in the explorer windows.

Quote:
I think Elate did not 'die', the company was sold - its technology was surely absorbed. (maybe to stop us).

To stop us. Ha. We're so annoying.

Hypex 
Posted on 23-Mar-2018 15:24:01
#89 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

Quote:
PPC notebook= Power to the People

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33frj0D9pHE

deuteros76 
Posted on 8-Nov-2019 23:21:37
#90 ]

Hi all

Power Progress Community reached its first campaign goal about the notebook electrical schematics and few days ago we started the second one. Now the target is to fund the PCB design.

https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/2019/10/donation-campaign-for-pcb-design-of-the-powerpc-notebook-motherboard/

In addition to that Slimbook collaboration was announced. They will provide the enclosure we need for our Open Hardware PowerPC notebook. https://www.powerpc-notebook.org/2019/09/slimbook-to-provide-the-notebook-chassis

As you can see in the article, ACube and Slimbook are collaborating since the beginning of this year.

If you like the project we will be happy if you can support it in any way you prefer (donating, spreading, collaborating with the team...)

Thanks!

Everblue 
Posted on 9-Nov-2019 8:45:36
#91 ]
Cult Member

Has Hyperion at any point in time that they are going to port OS4 for this laptop?

Kronos 
Posted on 9-Nov-2019 8:54:10
#92 ]
Elite Member

@Everblue

Let me do the math for you:

1st working PCB -> late 2020

1st working (prototype) laptop -> mid 2021

Assuming ACube stays involved:

Getting all parties onboard (Hyperion, AEOn and who knows else) without stepping onto someone's (legal) toes -> early 2022

Everybody blaming everybody else for not doing their part of the job -> add atleast another 2 years

Or in short, was a nice idea 5 years ago, now far too little far too late.

Everblue 
Posted on 9-Nov-2019 9:12:22
#93 ]
Cult Member

@Kronos

That's ok, we would still be waiting for the Tabor :)

bennymee 
Posted on 9-Nov-2019 12:17:28
#94 ]
Cult Member

@Kronos

Agree, there is not enough progress in this PowerPC laptop.

PowerPC is so far behind now in, no roadmap, high price, weak benchmarks.

pavlor 
Posted on 9-Nov-2019 15:37:12
#95 ]
Elite Member

@deuteros76

Welcome!

paolone 
Posted on 9-Nov-2019 16:55:47
#96 ]

Don't worry.

When people will walk with neural interfaces and receive mail straight from their head, working through neural stimulation and completely free from external electronic devices, someone will show up and claim "Hey guys look here! We've finally released an Amiga laptop!"

megol 
Posted on 9-Nov-2019 17:17:03
#97 ]

@paolone

How to get the fastest Amiga laptop possible*:
Step one: buy the fastest laptop you can find.
Step two: run WinUAE.
Step three: there is no step three.

(* from available options, a dedicated OS with 68k emulation could be faster still)

virgolamobile 
Posted on 10-Nov-2019 10:15:56
#98 ]

This is direct link to the electrical schematics of the laptop motherboard
https://gitlab.com/oshw-powerpc-notebook/powerpc-laptop-mobo/blob/master/electrical_schematic_ppc_notebook_0_2_version_09_2019.pdf

PowerProgressCommunity is testing drivers and software under Linux using a NXP T2080RDB development board that has exactly the same CPU selected for the laptop motherboard
https://www.nxp.com/design/qoriq-developer-resources/qoriq-t2080-development-board:T2080RDB

These are a couple of videos recorded using the T2080RDB and a RadeonHD 6670, the same GPU class that will be attached to the onboard MXM connector
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf5oq0OTMu4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v66P2HaH4M0

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 5-Feb-2020 9:46:28
#99 ]
Elite Member

@thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seaKxJQI8rM&feature=youtu.be

Hypex 
Posted on 5-Feb-2020 12:37:10
#100 ]
Elite Member

@Everblue

Quote:
Has Hyperion at any point in time that they are going to port OS4 for this laptop?

Not without upfront payment!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle