Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 112 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  3 mins ago
 clint:  43 mins ago
 OlafS25:  44 mins ago
 Allanon:  47 mins ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 cip060:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 amigatronics:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 pavlor:  4 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  update on the situation of aros on vampire.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
jPV 
Re: update on the situation of aros on vampire.
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 15:50:57
#81 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:

consider this a quality as much as a handicap. aros may be more anarchistic in approach, but you already have "controlled" opportunities with morphos and os4. there is a choice for every one. and even so there a re certain naturally developed hierarchies of competence one needs to observe to contribute successfully.

But the question was why AROS is so "unpopular", and in that context I would consider that it still turns more people away than attracts.

Profile     Report this post  
g01df1sh 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 15:59:30
#82 ]

@jPV

One issue I have with aros is all the systems I have tried it on the shut down or restart option never seems to work and just freezes the pc. its a nice system but does still have a lot of silly quirks. One of which is if the network cable is not plugged on starting up then it will not see the network you have to restart the pc and cant just plug the cable in after it has started.

Wii with Amiga emulation
Vampire v4 SA

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 16:02:50
#83 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

is it so "unpopular"?

the truth is people stay with what they have. That is obvious if old NG hardware died people mostly left the whole community instead of examining alternatives. Most members are longterm, they decided themselves many years ago (mostly either AmigaOS or MorphOS). New members are rare. And then there is the difference in how 68k software is integrated. In Aros X86 (what you mean with Aros) 68k is running in UAE, there is nothing like Petunia. It feels different because of that.

nikosidis 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 16:10:01
#84 ]
Cult Member

@jPV

Looking at downloads of Icaros and AspireOS it is for sure many who are interested.
Problem is that many is let down. Even if AROS boots on your hardware it is very little
chance all devices are supported. No network or sound. No native gfx drivers.
Keyboard not working. Problems can be many.

This is why I'm found of dedicated hardware as it solves a lot of problems. We have that, but for sure not everyone likes another computer.
In a perfect world AROS would work with all kind of hardare but it is not like that.

Other reason is that many tried AROS but where not happy with it. It's been a long road before AROS became a real stable OS. Again, with the right hardware!

There are for sure software that can bring AROS down. There are software for AROS that is no good.
There are software that is good. There can be software people use on MorphOS that does not work as good on AROS and the other way around.
For a first time user it is easy to try something and just say. This is shit, if a program crash and move on.

I'm sure there are lot's who download it, have no idea about what Amiga like OS is and just don't get it. It is not the most easy OS to understand if you don't know it. It does not have a huge software base either. No office apps. (even I could not care less) I look at office apps. as something to use with a serious, work platform. A web-browser should be more than good enough for most users demands for simple office applications.
Amiga or Amiga like OS it is the most easy and nice to use. That is my opinion since I know it so well. Others might very well disagree about that, but that is not my problem.

Last edited by nikosidis on 10-Jan-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 10-Jan-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 10-Jan-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 10-Jan-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 10-Jan-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 10-Jan-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 10-Jan-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 10-Jan-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 10-Jan-2019 at 04:10 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 16:15:40
#85 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

I think current amiga users are too accustomed to their current setups, everything must be done a certain way, look a certain way and behave a certain way. If it does that not they go away. Difficult "customers" ;). Desktop to start... Magellan is too advanced and Wanderer not good enough for them.

I hope for fresh blood if RPi port is ready

Last edited by OlafS25 on 10-Jan-2019 at 04:16 PM.

nikosidis 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 17:16:08
#86 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Good point. MorphOS have ambient. AROS and OS4 does not.
Wanderer is ok, but could for sure need some more love. Personaly I use wanderer together with DOpus 4 or 5. Depending on what operations I'm going to do. Dopus 5 (Megellan) is little buggy.

nikosidis 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 17:29:46
#87 ]
Cult Member

@g01df1sh

That is partly true. You could open a Shell and type "stopnet" then "startnet" and you will be online.

Shut down on Amiga is with power button. Just hold it a few sec. since it is not like on the original Amiga where it was mecanical. It is software controlled.
Restart or warm reset with CTRL+Amiga+DEL should work but there are some drivers on some systems that can cause it to not work.
Works good with my DELL D520 or ACER aspire one.

It is important that you report any problem and name the hardware and version of AROS you use. That way we can tell you what to do or there can be a fix to the problem.

Last edited by nikosidis on 10-Jan-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 10-Jan-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 17:57:57
#88 ]
Elite Member

@g01df1sh

Quote:

g01df1sh wrote:
@jPV

One issue I have with aros is all the systems I have tried it on the shut down or restart option never seems to work and just freezes the pc. its a nice system but does still have a lot of silly quirks. One of which is if the network cable is not plugged on starting up then it will not see the network you have to restart the pc and cant just plug the cable in after it has started.

The shutdown feature always worked on my PC but the last version I tried was maybe 2.1...
As for the network...I imagine that the program just exits if it finds no connection and manually running the command as it is in your startup-sequence would make it work... I'm not sure if Amiga/AROS OS supports running executables as services where they are always running until they receive a command to stop...

kas1e 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 18:00:55
#89 ]
Elite Member

@nikosidis

Quote:

Dopus 5 (Megellan) is little buggy.

Even if it aros-only issues (and more of it if it something general), plz write bugreport to https://sourceforge.net/projects/dopus5allamigas/

Even if currently no one works on it , i still have idea to release another version + maybe some other devs will help as usuall with bug fixes.

Zylesea 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 19:24:03
#90 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Zylesea

Quote:
It'll be a great enrichment if/when Odyssey will work on 68k/Apollo. But for the heavy tasks Vampire it just lacks raw cpu power and RAM.

i think so too. and i was getteing at the project to compile aros odyssey 1.25 for both ppc and m68k being aware that it probably doesnt make much sense. but vampire v4 standalone having 256mb as far as i recollect might arrive at the edge, when odyssey can at least be started. this is so far as i recall the memory requirement on i386. and remember m68k binaries hav usually smaller footprint and possibly a bit lower demands.

Th eRAM demand of Odyssey shoult get reduced if support for libsvg is put out. I mean when Fab maintained Odyssey MorphOS he also released versions w/o support for svg and these binaries were quite bit smaller. On Efika (128MB RAM!) it was actually useable with non deamding sites and only 1-3 tabs open. And that with "bloat" RISC code. So for getting it to run on 68k with 128MB or 256 MB I'd beoptimistic. The other thing is the cpu grunt. But the cpu situation on Efika was a bit tigt, too and Odyssey ran surprisingly fluent on the Efika.
Nontheless in the rare cases I power up the Efika I rather avoid web things, but if not then I prefereably use Sputnik (and belong probably to the felt maximun 10 ppl using this brower at all) or AWeb for web things.

jPV 
Posted on 10-Jan-2019 20:37:50
#91 ]
Cult Member

@Zylesea

Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

Nontheless in the rare cases I power up the Efika I rather avoid web things, but if not then I prefereably use Sputnik (and belong probably to the felt maximun 10 ppl using this brower at all) or AWeb for web things.

Hehe, but I bet there were much more Sputnik users, after all it was time when MorphOS was still free and it was the first WebKit (or was it Core) browser for our platforms, and many had high hopes for it. I ran it in combination with IBrowse, I had context menu entry to open non-working or CSS requiring pages from IBrowse to Sputnik on my Peg1. And still have it installed on my system till today, but haven't launched it after OWB appeared 10 years ago...

bison 
Posted on 12-Jan-2019 1:01:03
#92 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:
An entry level Amiga could be pretty close to a single chip SoC with little left in the way of a motherboard. The basic adapters are HDMI/DVI, USB, ethernet and SATA (the RaspberryPi skips this).

Yes, a SoC-based system similar to the RPi3 but with with SATA and a sound chip (and a power button!) in a nice case would be a very fine entry-level system.

wawa 
Posted on 12-Jan-2019 1:10:38
#93 ]
Elite Member

@kas1e

its years ago that i have noticed a difference, but since it was only reproducible under aros m68k i didnt bother to report , i simply shoved it on aros incompatibility. i will come back to it if/as soon as i have relevant report at hand.i dont want to make magellan look bad. it simply is not a perfect match with aros m68k at this time and i dont know yet why. so lets stand by on the issue, till we can hount this down. other than that i have experienced the new compiles to work as expected.

hth313 
Posted on 12-Jan-2019 3:05:04
#94 ]

@bison

Quote:

bison wrote:
@matthey

Quote:
An entry level Amiga could be pretty close to a single chip SoC with little left in the way of a motherboard. The basic adapters are HDMI/DVI, USB, ethernet and SATA (the RaspberryPi skips this).

Yes, a SoC-based system similar to the RPi3 but with with SATA and a sound chip (and a power button!) in a nice case would be a very fine entry-level system.

I am not so familiar with all these interfaces This one come with PCIe, how does that compare with SATA? How would it even look with an SSD connected in 90 degrees angle, or whatever you are supposed to plug in?

https://www.pine64.org/?product=rockpro64-4gb-single-board-computer

bison 
Posted on 12-Jan-2019 4:20:33
#95 ]
Elite Member

@hth313

PCIe is related to both mSATA and M.2, but I don't know the details. Most of these single board systems lack SATA support, which makes them less than ideal for desktop systems. That and a decent sound chip. Something like a Pi but with a good sound chip could probably be used as a SoundFont-based MIDI sound module, something which I would find very useful.

jPV 
Posted on 12-Jan-2019 8:03:15
#96 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@kas1e

its years ago that i have noticed a difference, but since it was only reproducible under aros m68k i didnt bother to report , i simply shoved it on aros incompatibility. i will come back to it if/as soon as i have relevant report at hand.i dont want to make magellan look bad. it simply is not a perfect match with aros m68k at this time and i dont know yet why. so lets stand by on the issue, till we can hount this down. other than that i have experienced the new compiles to work as expected.

Have you tried to use the original GP Software's Magellan 5.82? I bet it would work better on a 68k environment, because it's a rock solid and lightweight program.

I can't remember if I've tried the latest open source versions, but in any case the last time I tried, they were heavier than the original, but also more buggy at that state. I have sticked with the original on my 68k and MorphOS setups, because it still does what I need. The couple improvements I would like aren't worth sacrificing the stability etc.

matthey 
Posted on 12-Jan-2019 8:34:40
#97 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

hth313 wrote:
I am not so familiar with all these interfaces This one come with PCIe, how does that compare with SATA? How would it even look with an SSD connected in 90 degrees angle, or whatever you are supposed to plug in?

https://www.pine64.org/?product=rockpro64-4gb-single-board-computer

Both PCIe and SATA communicate with high speed serial lines (SerDes).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SerDes

Scroll down at your link and you should find a "ROCKPro64 PCI-e to Dual SATA-II Interface Card" which fits in the PCIe slot of the ROCKPro64 SBC. The SATA card is large compared to the electronics on it. So much for small footprint. The nice part about the PCIe slot is that other types of cards could be used including a gfx board.

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Jan-2019 8:58:44
#98 ]
Elite Member

@jPV
Quote:

I can't remember if I've tried the latest open source versions, but in any case the last time I tried, they were heavier than the original, but also more buggy at that state. I have sticked with the original on my 68k and MorphOS setups, because it still does what I need. The couple improvements I would like aren't worth sacrificing the stability etc.

Morphos version wasn't released because wasn't complete (its probabaly about to complete with latest sources, only few errors left). But 68k one should be fine enough already. If i remember right you report some things, which was fixed. But if you didn't , plz do it as well on https://sourceforge.net/projects/dopus5allamigas/

There is no sense to work on updating it , if one found it be less stable than old ones, and not only not use it, but not report about bugs :)

nikosidis 
Posted on 12-Jan-2019 9:26:49
#99 ]
Cult Member

@kas1e

The major problem I have is that the button menu have a issue when I press the buttons there. They are some times sticky. After clicking they just stay in that state and nothing happends.

jPV 
Posted on 12-Jan-2019 10:16:32
#100 ]
Cult Member

@kas1e

Quote:

There is no sense to work on updating it , if one found it be less stable than old ones, and not only not use it, but not report about bugs :)

Yes, I'm sorry that I haven't been more active with it, but I personally just have way too many projects to betatest, develop my own stuff, write documentation, etc. I just don't have enough time for everything. As much as I love DOpus and would want to see things improved, but so far I haven't got time to test these new versions properly enough especially on machines that I don't use daily, and I haven't dared to use them in my daily use (on MorphOS) where I have a very stable original DOpus setup already...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle