Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 104 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  28 mins ago
 OlafS25:  59 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 hardwaretech:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 5 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Where be Tabor?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: Where be Tabor?
Posted on 26-Dec-2019 21:47:28
#101 ]
Elite Member

@Skateman

On the 2nd day of Christmas old A-EON gave to me, a "coming soon" message and glad tidings of a web admin on holiday!

Profile     Report this post  
Zylesea 
Posted on 26-Dec-2019 22:48:52
#102 ]
Elite Member

@Everblue

Quote:

Everblue wrote:
And the only purchasable option for Morphos right now is the x5000, which is hardly affordable.

You missed an important word here "newly". Used quality kit is _plenty_ avaialbale for less than pocket money. Get an AIO system with 64bit power, plenty ram and 2Ghz+ starting from 25 EUR or so. But you know that. Thing is: this is not the topic of this thread, but if you state incorrect information it should get corrected.

Anyway, I hope the Tabor will arrive realy soon to eventually finish this sad chapter of delays and uncertainy. Am eager to read about performance and compability then.

Rob 
Posted on 27-Dec-2019 0:45:47
#103 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Things didn't go to plan for whatever reason. Your attitude seems quite uncharitable and surely not becoming of a good Christian.

BigD 
Posted on 27-Dec-2019 1:24:30
#104 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@BigD

Things didn't go to plan for whatever reason. Your attitude seems quite uncharitable and surely not becoming of a good Christian.

... and when the Pentium FDIV bug hit I guess you wrote to Intel offering your support and sympathy. My Christian charity doesn't extend to businesses, deadlines and product launches. There has been ample time to plan this 'soft launch' and it just weird that A-EON's self imposed launch dates keep being missed! Surely an web admin being on holiday could have been foreseen when the Facebook poster was being prepared? A-EON says shipments will be in Q1 2020, but I still think it won't be before Q2 due to continued deadline slips.

You might not think it matters but every slip towards Christmas 2020 increases the chance people will think the money is better spent on a Vampire Standalone or even a PS5 (depending on what they're after).

I don't run my own business but I would say this isn't so much a hard launch of the actual product but rather a soft launch of a shoe box and we should expect more!

Sorry if that isn't a Christian enough statement but discernment and casting light in the darkness are also Christian traits

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 27-Dec-2019 2:00:36
#105 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@BigD

The most distinguishing trait of Christianity is contradiction.

In this sense, you are as Christian as they come.

LAST EDITED BY MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 27-Dec-2019 at 02:01 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Dec-2019 3:39:47
#106 ]
Elite Member

@JimIgou

Two good options for the future power user. And it would be a first for an OS4 laptop. If this can ever eventuate.

Given what we are working with now this is what I would suggest as well. Existing Power hardware that is powerful. Resources better spent on supporting this than on supporting a slower CPU with non standard FPU and hardware development cost.

But, I tend to be told that it's not that easy, and every AmigaOne machine has thousands of investment dollars going into it, as well as more thousands on top for porting OS4 to it. However, the hardware cost can easily cost millions in investment, for little in return. It seems silly to spend millions on developing hardware, when even the most powerful board, would barely match the computing power of a small board like a RPi. Or an ARM based Chromebook for a slightly better comparison. Or to be more realistic even, an ARM desktop computer/server like a ThunderXStation which looks way powerful, at around the same price as an X5000 would cost.

Still, to me it makes sense to chose an existing computer with a Power CPU, then spend the resources porting OS4 to it. If the hardware is there, why not? After all, time and money tends to be spent on designing, small running, testing, fixing and porting OS4 even before releasing. With in one case, the X1000, it used firmware from the designers anyway. Why not cut that out and spend R&D money on a working board and evaluate that instead?

Last edited by Hypex on 27-Dec-2019 at 04:09 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Dec-2019 3:59:42
#107 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

It depends on where you live in the world. And if you want desktop or laptop. Obviously a laptop would be sought after as it's useful and gives MOS bragging rights which I see even supports WiFi now.

Laptops can be expensive on the open market. A G5 desktop is a huge monster that will be expensive to ship unless you find a local one.

Even if Everblue didn't state "newly" I could see that from the context. And here is the difference. Finding a quality machine. The fact is these are old. And finding one in good condition, where the knobs haven't fallen off, and where it all works perfectly are even rarer.

I don't think anyone wants to buy old hardware. I tend to think people want to buy new hardware for that special NG Amiga machine. But, I could be wrong, as when the AmigaOne series came out some people grabbed their new board and stuck in some old PC case with old PC drives. I've never seen the sense in this. I've always bought a new case and components for my A1 builds, the two I have done. The exception being any NOS parts like a video card.

Perhaps it is no surprise, as there has always been talk of AmigaOS on x86. Would people like to install OS4 on real fast PC? No, is my impression, they want to install it on some old PC they have lying around the house. I saw the same with AROS.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Dec-2019 4:07:31
#108 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

I was actually surprised to see a mention of a web admin on holiday. I thought the web admin was already on holiday indefinitely. For too long now the AEon site has been broken in parts and missing in others. Perhaps it's not very "Christian" of me to point this out as it is a criticism. But for too long the site hasn't been maintained and looks abandoned. The community knows this. Facebook is not a replacement for a website either.

Everblue 
Posted on 27-Dec-2019 17:35:25
#109 ]
Cult Member

@Zylesea

I certainly meant "newly" available, so you are right. :)
I tend to buy stuff only new, which is why I had that slip.

Last edited by Everblue on 27-Dec-2019 at 05:37 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Dec-2019 20:33:03
#110 ]
Elite Member

@Everblue

Quote:
I certainly meant "newly" available, so you are right. :)
I tend to buy stuff only new, which is why I had that slip.

i just hope you havnt ever had to buy any amiga gear second hand. this would be an exceptionally unpleasant experience for you i guess.

Everblue 
Posted on 28-Dec-2019 6:39:34
#111 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

No need to be sarcastic.

number6 
Posted on 11-Jan-2020 13:26:53
#112 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Well, the link still goes to Amigakit, and not to some page saying "coming soon" here at my location.
However, by doing that I do see this:

AAA BUNDLE

Everblue 
Posted on 11-Jan-2020 14:12:07
#113 ]
Cult Member

@number6

Still says Coming Soon here. I hope they won't force that bundle on A1222 buyers. Nothing in that thing interests me.

wawa 
Posted on 11-Jan-2020 14:19:23
#114 ]
Elite Member

@Everblue

I at least remember a statement that tabors low price can only be justified and will be compensated by software sales.

Last edited by wawa on 11-Jan-2020 at 02:20 PM.

number6 
Posted on 11-Jan-2020 14:20:58
#115 ]
Elite Member

@Everblue

I do not see the inclusion in the Amigakit ad of what Trevor posted in his blog Dec. 31:

Quote:
The first hundred customers who purchase and register the new AAA package will have a limted time option to purchase the A1222 Plus motherboard at the special low introductory price. More information will be provided on the a1222plus.com website which will go live in the next few days.

Yogi27 
Posted on 11-Jan-2020 14:21:59
#116 ]

@number6

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the link. I just pre-ordered mine, and it is to my understanding that I will then get the chance to buy AO1222 early motherboard, which I am going to do.

I have been wanting to replace my AO500 for a while now, since it is getting older.

Yogi

pavlor 
Posted on 11-Jan-2020 14:31:42
#117 ]
Elite Member

@Everblue

Quote:
Nothing in that thing interests me.

Exactly.

I want Tabor, not software I already have (PPaint) or products I don´t care.

It seems I must wait for this computer even longer.

number6 
Posted on 11-Jan-2020 14:38:36
#118 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

My concern is that one is forced to read forums, trevor's blog, etc. to get the correct details on the pre-order of the AAA bundle in order to understand the pre-order for Tabor.

Sorry, but this should all be on the site of the reseller...Amigakit.

Everblue 
Posted on 11-Jan-2020 14:42:17
#119 ]
Cult Member

So to be able to order a Tabor I have to first spend 100 quid on a box I have no interest in?

pavlor 
Posted on 11-Jan-2020 14:45:04
#120 ]
Elite Member

@Everblue

If I understand their policy correctly, they will offer these first 100 boards to people buying that package and later - if there are some board left after 1st February - also to other customers.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle