Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
5759 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
88 crawler(s) on-line.
 11 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Bezzen:  8 mins ago
 Derfs:  14 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  17 mins ago
 Rob:  28 mins ago
 Vidar:  42 mins ago
 Marcian:  50 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  53 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  59 mins ago
 Argo:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 evilFrog:  1 hr 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  Amos Professional Official Source Code Release MIT [And future for AGA]
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
OneTimer1 
Re: Amos Professional Official Source Code Release MIT [And future for AGA]
Posted on 3-May-2020 10:42:36
#61 ]
Cult Member

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:

AMOS was created to make games for A500

And if someone creates an AMOS variant running on AGA Amigas that doesn't switch of multitasking, it might be an interesting solution for retro programming.

-----------

Others might take a look to OS BASIC variants like Freebasic: https://www.freebasic.net/ something like this supporting the CGX interfaces might be a good replacement for non portable languages like AMOS and they could be a ideal tool for all AmigaOID systems supporting RTG.

Last edited by OneTimer1 on 03-May-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 3-May-2020 11:12:55
#62 ]
Elite Member

@OneTimer1

FreeBasic is little-endian. It might be a bear to port but there are others.

OlafS25 
Posted on 3-May-2020 12:01:36
#63 ]
Elite Member

@OneTimer1

you can turn on multitasking with craft extension (multi on/off)

there are lots of extensions for amos

Last edited by OlafS25 on 03-May-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 3-May-2020 15:25:14
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Trixie

Quote:
Daytona is a very experienced developer, and his Amiga programming track-record outshines yours.

So what? A lot of people have more credentials than others. A lot of people would have more than me easy. I don't think it gives them the right to hang crap over others. You deal with the cards you've been dealt and do your best with the hands you have in the time you've got.

Quote:
I know it hurts when someones criticizes your work, but we can only learn from people who are more knowledgeable than us.

There is negitive criticism and there is constructive criticism. I don't mind constructive criticism, it's the best way to criticise. That sounds funny.But I think most people can judge for themselves what needs attention in their work before anyone else does. Others can come along and point out what's missed. Without hanging crap on it.

Quote:
Negative feedback is learning material, too.

As long as it's constructive.

Quote:
The worst thing you can do is dismiss someone as "troll" only because they point out flaws in your work.

Depends how they point them out. But this reminds of some things. Some people have a bad attitude or a superiority complex. For example I was reading a forum where some person asked if some router could be supported by this custom firmware. All they got was abuse back. That was a total dumb jerk response and it was not necessary to insult someone to say no. He could have easily said no with a brief explanation. But instead this guy was a total dick face instead.

I'm sure I've put people off by asking questions about how they do things. It's not intended but some people are offended by a simple question! As if they are the general in the army and you are questioning their judgement. I know I've crossed "their" line when I don't get a response. But I can be inquisitive. I like to know why it was done that way if it could be done another way. And why not in an obvious way. But some people don't like that.

Hypex 
Posted on 3-May-2020 15:36:35
#65 ]
Elite Member

@Samurai_Crow

Quote:
It did disable multitasking and would only yield control to the OS using the "Multi Wait" command.

Okay thanks for claifying. Yes that's the easiest way to do it. I'm not aware of it banging the hardware otherwise though without multitasking you remove that dependable layer of the OS.

kolla 
Posted on 3-May-2020 20:24:40
#66 ]

Anyhow, a programming language is only so useful as the software made with it...

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-May-2020 22:09:05
#67 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
amos kittens is pure interpreter and too slow on genuine amigas

No one knows, it might run ok, it might also be a bit slower, as it has to render its graphic in software, while Amos writes to the chipset. The thing is that the chipset on Amiga is not so fast, it might be that rendering it to RTG might be faster. Maybe it just takes some optimized 680x0 code.

Chipset speed / Chip ram, is fixed speed limit, it might be that if you have 68060 or 68080, or maybe WarpOS, you might find it faster to use the CPU to render the graphics.

For AmigaOS4.1 there is untapped potential in the GPU.

Quote:
it makes no sense for 68k (except when running on UAE)

Yes I think Amithlon and WinUAE, and Vampire 68080, or 68060, WarpOS systems. Might have some benefits to using Amos Kittens.

Quote:
also there are lots of extensions on Amos pro that not exist for Amos Kittens

True there is lot of work to write replacements for the old extensions.
and there is lots bug yet to fix, this stuff just takes time, and also the lack of music support.

Yes, it’s just an interpreter, you need at least a editor, like Amos Professional. Amos Kittens does not have its own.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-May-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Cass 
Posted on 3-May-2020 22:38:22
#68 ]

@AmiDARK

This is great news, I have very fond memories of AMOS back in the day.
I`m looking forward to seeing new programs made with AMOS.

MEGA_RJ_M|CAL 
Posted on 4-May-2020 2:29:27
#69 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUND BY A SMOKED KIPPER

@OlafS25

Quote:
there are lots of extensions for amos

Friend OlafS25, this is great news! Does that mean we can expect Amos to take advantage of our RTG screen modes in our newly bought graphics cards? Does that also mean Amos can connect to our ultra fast servers using our brand new networking cards?

VROOOOOOOM ACROSS THE INFORMATION SUPER HIGHWAY!!! LET ME CALL THE COMMODORE MEDIA WITH THE EXCELLENT NEWS!!!

Wrapped, Slapped And Signed By
MEGA_RJ_M|CAL

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 4-May-2020 2:41:48
#70 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

Actually, let me take advantage of this majestic feature as provided by the fora, and edit myself in true orwellian fashion!

I take it back! IMITATION IS THE MOST SINCERE FORM OF FLATTERY!
Wishing for more copies of yours truly to surface,

@RealMegaRJMical

LAST EDITED BY MEGA_RJ_MICAL!!!!

Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 04-May-2020 at 02:49 AM.

amigadave 
Posted on 4-May-2020 4:24:00
#71 ]

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

There are rules that prohibit members having more than one account on this site, just like most other forum sites (at least there was the last time I checked), but since it appears that there aren't any moderators for this site any longer, and members can't even seem to be able to find a site administrator, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Edit: Just as soon as I say the above, I see that _Steve_ is still around and has posted to the other AMOS thread. You might be in trouble now Mega_RJ?

Last edited by amigadave on 04-May-2020 at 04:26 AM.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 4-May-2020 5:00:59
#72 ]

@amigadave

Friend Amigadave,

are you entirely dumb, or just pretending to be? That is NOT me but rather someone else trying to get me "in trouble". It will take a proper moderator seconds to verify that.

I initially condemned his post, but then decided to dismiss it as a tribute rather than plagiarism, as per my LAST_EDITED_BY.

I have done my best to simplify my message, so hopefully you will fully understand it.
Bestest of regards,

MEGA RJ MICAL

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-May-2020 11:20:37
#73 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_M|CAL

Quote:
Wishing for more copies of yours truly to surface.

You mean how did we end up with XAMOS, Amos Kittens, AOZ and Amos Professional in in different incarnations.

There was the plan for “AMOS NG”, a good plan that was similar to the conclusions, I came to when looking at AMOS, code was useless for new PowerPC. And new AMOS needed to be created in a portable language like C/C++. Did Amiga “Amos NG” ever become anything, no one knows.

Well XAMOS was poor imitation, problem was that can’t run old games and programs, new script languages was replace the old, languages, XAMAL replaced AMAL, AMOS token format was replaced by the MequaScript (Not AMOS compatible syntax). So you can only use it if you where going to make new stuff. Pluss did not have the graphic capabilities, it can’t render AMOS Screens in lowres/hires modes. The only active part of the AMOS community is the classic community, there was no XAMOS community, there where no software to speak of written for it.

I did not know about AmOS4.library, when I started Amos Kittens, the problem again you can’t really just grab a .amos file and run it, because you need to translate your .amos programs into C/C++ code.

AMOS2/AOZ was born when I started talking about Amos kittens, also known as Amos2asc and RetroMode.library at the time, Francois lionet quited his job at "Friend up", He was where active promoting “Friend Up” in all the groups he was member of, before this. Well I suggested cooperation, but francois lionet wanted a commercial product he can sell to school children, and schools. He needed it to work in Windows, and MacOSX and Linux and so on.

I so it as opportunity for more software to be written indirectly for Amiga platform, I did not see it as problem. However AOZ is becoming its own platform. Francois lionet has his team and supporters, and he has done this before.

But "AOZ" and "Amos kittens" did not target the classic Amiga AGA/OCS, and I guess this kicked of interest in updating Amos Professional. Before AGA version, there where people working on fixing bugs, sadly while they created GITHUB repository’s, the actual changes are not available. LOL… so here we are.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-May-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-May-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-May-2020 at 02:23 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-May-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-May-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-May-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-May-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 04-May-2020 at 11:21 AM.

AmiDARK 
Posted on 4-May-2020 16:14:21
#74 ]

@all :

For those that are happy on the fact that I'm working on AGA support for AMOS Professional, thank you for your support.

For others, especially those that are unhappy with the fact I'm the guy that works on AGA support.
1. If you are unhappy, and wished someone that is a "better coder" than me", feel free to pay someone to do that task if even, someone may be interested in :p
2 If you wished AMOS to remain dead, it's your problem, not mine. But using harassing or persecution against me will not stop me, it will only makes peoples of the AmigaWorld forum no more have news to not let you exists in the eyes of others using this way.

The final dot, is simple : MIT Licence allow me to do an AGA Version, I've made tests and seen that it is clearly possible (and I proved that). and I'll do it.

Regards,
AmiDARK

Last edited by AmiDARK on 04-May-2020 at 04:18 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 4-May-2020 16:28:44
#75 ]
Elite Member

@AmiDARK

Thank you on behalf of the community. I will try Blitz Basic 2 first but if it doesn't suit me I can try out your fully AGA compatible AMOS instead!

AGA is my jam as I came late to the Amiga party after putting up with an Atari ST for far too long and it's great that I'll now have another option!

There's no valid reason that people should attack the few Amiga developers we have left especially if they have little or no interest in considering trying out the project being discussed. It's a sad state of affairs but don't let it get to you it as your work IS appreciated.

There is always someone out there in any given sphere of endeavour that in theory has a better skill set or is considered the better person for the job by the powers that be but they're seldom the people with the drive to achieve what needs to be done. The drive, determination, tenacity and passion to achieve something and most importantly the self belief and single mindedness to ignore the naysayers IS 99% of what allows an individual to accomplish a task and make the world a better place IMHO. Keep it up!

Last edited by BigD on 04-May-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 04-May-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 04-May-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 04-May-2020 at 04:49 PM.

amigadave 
Posted on 4-May-2020 19:49:09
#76 ]

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

But you look so much alike, and post dumb forum messages in the same way. Are you sure it isn't yourself posting from another account, when your split personality kicks in?

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 5-May-2020 0:57:21
#77 ]

@AmiDARK

I for one welcome this and thank you. I bought AMOS Professional new and was very bummed out at the time when I upgraded to an A1200 but had no option in AMOS Pro to support AGA. I believe it was mentioned in the mags that it might come as an upgrade but it never surfaced.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 5-May-2020 1:01:50
#78 ]

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

An impersonator impersonating someone that's already impersonating someone famous. I think the universe just cracked.

Rob 
Posted on 5-May-2020 1:22:01
#79 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

It reminds me of the time when some clown on Moobunny was holding an argument between two of their sock puppets using the same IP address and tried to deny it was the same person when I pointed it out.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 5-May-2020 2:05:16
#80 ]

@Rob

Friend Rob,

this is not the case here. The other person is merely an imitator, but I have to admit, a very good one at it. He captured the essence of my mannerisms really well, and apparently he can render it oh so faithfully!

But his intent is most probably a dark one: to overdo those same mannerisms of mine, and saturate Amigaworld to the point where I would be casted away, out, unwanted and unwelcome for the ages.

Understand, friend Rob, that I tread carefully on the fine line between nerve-wrecking condemnation of the many nonsenses of this community, and pure "trolling", minding never to exceed! But this other flattering copy of mine, won't.

As for who he might be, I truly wonder, since we know that people with the precious gift of eloquence are not exactly common on this beautiful fora, mostly roamed by bearers of unintelligible English, primary school vocabulary.

MRJM

Post Scriptum! I CAN'T WAIT FOR AMIDARK'S AGA VERSION OF AMOS, WHICH WILL BE 100% CERTAINLY RELEASED SOON AND BE ENTIRELY WORKING, PERFORMANT AND BUG FREE!

Last Edited with great care by MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 05-May-2020 at 02:07 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle