Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 174 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hypex

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  4 mins ago
 pixie:  10 mins ago
 OlafS25:  10 mins ago
 amigang:  36 mins ago
 matthey:  42 mins ago
 hannana:  42 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  "Amiga" trademark in the U.S.Registered Feb. 16, 2021
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
kolla 
Re: "Amiga" trademark in the U.S.Registered Feb. 16, 2021
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 0:00:45
#121 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:

matthey wrote:
matthey Quote:

The AmigaOS could be used in many embedded devices requiring low resources and efficient performance with a flat memory model (usually no MMU).

kolla Quote:

Such as…?

Such as the majority of embedded devices.

Mobile phones? I think not. Try again - be specific!

Profile     Report this post  
bison 
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 1:53:52
#122 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:
Try again - be specific!

I'll take "refrigerators" for $200, Alex.

matthey 
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 3:08:39
#123 ]
Elite Member

kolla Quote:

Mobile phones? I think not. Try again - be specific!

You could watch the video I just linked where they are using no MMU hardware for IoT infrastructure. Notice how cheap they talk about ASICs (and small FPGAs) being as they often have enough volume to mass produce hardware. Jeff Dionne in the video co-created uClinux to hack the MMU support out of Linux for embedded use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%9CClinux

The AmigaOS was designed from day one for what Jeff set out to hack into Linux with uClinux 13 years later. By coincidence, Jeff is a fan of the 68k which was the first target of uClinux (CPU32 on 68332). If only a well designed 68k core and AmigaOS were available maybe it could have saved him a lot of time. Jeff is the guy in charge of a Japanese company building out the IoT infrastructure today.

Mobile phones of course started MMU less. The first smart phone (PDA with mobile phone) had no MMU and didn't even have multitasking (ROM-DOS MS-DOS clone) in 1994.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Simon

Of course smart phones have MMUs, process isolation, memory protection and security features today which the original AmigaOS lacks. Retrofitting these features to the AmigaOS would be like hacking the MMU support out of Linux. It takes a lot of work and compromises to convert from full MMU support to no MMU support and vice versa. It also breaks compatibility. The 68k AmigaOS is an efficient small footprint no MMU RTOS and it is cheap embedded hardware where this is an asset today. Even Evert Carton mentions the "small footprint" of the AmigaOS for embedded use in his deposition although PPC sabotages some of the advantage. Some people are more focused on what they want out of the AmigaOS rather than what it is good at though.

tygre 
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 3:54:24
#124 ]

Thanks @matthey for your very cool comments!

kolla 
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 6:57:04
#125 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

You keep on and on about MMU-less usage and point to projects and products that are using Linux - which is NOT AmigaOS. I have probably used uCLinux a heck lot more than you have (even on 68k - once upon a time I attempted tweaking OpenWRT for uCLinux on 68k), and yes it is quite capable, mostly because it is so similar to “real” Linux, and can (mostly) use same device drivers and interfaces, and that’s very much the point. Unlike AmigaOS.

Amiga made sense for one embedded market for a certain time period when it was relevant - video, back when Amiga hardware was compatible with the dominating video standards. And it had little to do with the CPU, and all to do with the chipset. SCALA was using Amiga as embedded devices, and for just about the only thing it makes sense to use it for, at the time.

Does it make any sense to use AmigaOS to monitor refrigerators today? No, none whatsoever, there are much more suited operating systems around that are much better supported, that offer the necessary interfaces and protocols and for which ecosystems are in place.

So I ask again:

Exactly what kind embedded devices would AmigaOS be suited for?

* mobile phones? not at all
* Iot? certainly not
* video and multimedia? not really, not anymore
* industrial appliances? no
* aerospace and aviation? no!
* medicine? no!

And besides - even if AmigaOS did find its way into some embedded use - what difference would it make to the Amiga users and the community in general? Nothing.

Last edited by kolla on 20-Jul-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Last edited by kolla on 20-Jul-2021 at 07:12 AM.

kolla 
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 7:07:22
#126 ]
Elite Member

@tygre

Oh please, you just cheer on whoever I confront, no matter...

Here, look, go drewl over some FleaFPGA photos instead.
http://kolla.no/pcloud/FleaFPGA/

kolla 
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 11:57:55
#127 ]
Elite Member

Thanks @geen_naam for your very cool comments!

Heh

LarsB 
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 12:04:36
#128 ]

@geen_naam Exactly.

kolla 
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 13:17:40
#129 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:

matthey wrote:
The AmigaOS was designed from day one for what Jeff set out to hack into Linux with uClinux 13 years later.

No, it was not - not at all.

Quote:
By coincidence, Jeff is a fan of the 68k which was the first target of uClinux (CPU32 on 68332). If only a well designed 68k core and AmigaOS were available maybe it could have saved him a lot of time.

The goal of μCLinux was NOT primarily to just have any embedded OS for non-MMU environments, the goal was specifically to have LINUX running on non-MMU environments.

Do you understand the difference? LINUX was the GOAL! On non-MMU hardware! Jeff would never have even considered AmigaOS, as it was NOT THE GOAL!

At the time, it was the Palm pilots that were targets, and it was primarily for fun and little else. Geert Uytterhoeven ("amiga famous" for MUFS) ported it to Amiga and I was for a time running on an A600, which was were I worked on putting together using the OpenWRT build environment for it.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 14:40:43
#130 ]
Cult Member

I can only think of one somewhat embedded application for AmigaOS: Anything that outputs analog video of some sort - kiosk systems, info channels and the like. The Amiga actually did have a (small) presence in that market, and for a short while some management was dreaming about Amiga based STBs. But none of that was thanks to the OS, it was obviously made possible by the Amiga chipset. And analog video was long dead by 2009.

IMHO, that whole "we're going embedded!" spiel was just another way to keep people in line, give them something to look forward to - so they keep slaving away quietly or hand over more money in the meantime:

Carton: "Are you nuts? We can't spend *that* much money on a lawsuit. Have you looked at our revenue recently?"
Hermans: "But Evert, we'll go embedded once we win this piece of cake lawsuit! Think of all the possibilities!"

number6 
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 14:56:24
#131 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Just for those who were not here at the time:

Senex on the stb and a few other projects

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 18:13:33
#132 ]
Elite Member

@number6

A setup box with a bad web browser, not so good idea.
and bad TCP/IP stack, cost more then linux, and is unsecure.
(Actually the TCP/IP stack is just a contribution, not paied for)

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 20-Jul-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 20-Jul-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 20-Jul-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Rose 
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 18:37:30
#133 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@number6

A setup box with a bad web browser, not so good idea.
and bad TCP/IP stack, cost more then linux, and is unsecure.

Mmm.... You understand that these things happened closer to 20 years ago when lack of browser or TCP/IP with all modern bells and whistles weren't a problem?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 20-Jul-2021 18:43:06
#134 ]
Elite Member

@Rose

I remember the fist smart tv’s, did not get firmware updates, the web bowser got so quickly outdated and useless, almost no apps. no standards.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 20-Jul-2021 at 06:45 PM.

matthey 
Posted on 21-Jul-2021 0:58:57
#135 ]
Elite Member

kolla Quote:

You keep on and on about MMU-less usage and point to projects and products that are using Linux - which is NOT AmigaOS. I have probably used uCLinux a heck lot more than you have (even on 68k - once upon a time I attempted tweaking OpenWRT for uCLinux on 68k), and yes it is quite capable, mostly because it is so similar to “real” Linux, and can (mostly) use same device drivers and interfaces, and that’s very much the point. Unlike AmigaOS.

kolla Quote:

The goal of μCLinux was NOT primarily to just have any embedded OS for non-MMU environments, the goal was specifically to have LINUX running on non-MMU environments.

Unix like software ported to the AmigaOS without using a MMU is broken according to you.

kolla Quote:

The Amiga IP stacks have always been compromises between what’s practical and what’s possible to achieve with all the limitations that the OS comes with, there was never any “complete” stack, always lots of features lacking and seemingly strange limitations.

Yes there are, even simple things like the lack of fork() creates headaches already, never mind more complex "modern" stuff that we take for granted, like process isolation, thread isolation etc that is widely used in IP software for the sake of security.

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=44218&forum=14&start=100&viewmode=flat&order=0#843243

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=44218&forum=14&start=120&viewmode=flat&order=0#843255

Hacked up no MMU Linux with the same limitations as the AmigaOS is all about Linux compatibility though? What do basic Linux functions like fork and mmap do without a MMU? Are you contradicting yourself or just trolling again?

kolla Quote:

Do you understand the difference? LINUX was the GOAL! On non-MMU hardware! Jeff would never have even considered AmigaOS, as it was NOT THE GOAL!

Some of Jeff's top OS goals are resource sharing and minimizing footprint. He is also looking for a mature (few bugs and good development tools) and easy to use no MMU environment. Efficient real time use of the hardware is obvious as he is not using a MMU most of the time. Real time capability is the most important capability for embedded systems and the most important factor for choosing an embedded OS according to the EETimes 2019 Embedded Market Survey. Code size and memory usage is the 5th most important factor in choosing an embedded OS from the same survey. The 68k AmigaOS was not left behind in these categories but is still competitive unlike any features for the desktop. The AmigaOS would still not be an easy sale for Jeff as open hardware and software are important to him. This is the big advantage of Linux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_on_embedded_systems Quote:

The advantages of embedded Linux over proprietary embedded operating systems include multiple suppliers for software, development and support; no royalties or licensing fees; a stable kernel; the ability to read, modify and redistribute the source code. The technical disadvantages include a comparatively large memory footprint (kernel and root filesystem); complexities of user mode and kernel mode memory access, and a complex device drivers framework.

The closed AmigaOS has been an impediment to proliferating into the embedded market from the time of CBM who stopped multiple deals. Several ex-Amiga developers tried to obtain the rights to use the AmigaOS in embedded set top boxes, kiosks and gaming machines after the demise of CBM with little success. As can be seen in this thread and some cases not mentioned, attempts were made to use AmigaOS 4 in embedded devices even with fat PPC and niche hardware which has a poor performance/price. Price is another very important factor for embedded markets and a reason why you and many others turned Raspberry Pis into embedded devices. If the 68k Amiga was as cheap as the Raspberry Pi then it would also be used some in embedded markets, including with the AmigaOS. The RPi is *not* the ultimate embedded system and did *not* take a major part of the embedded market but the tiny percent of the pie was enough to sell millions of units for embedded use and it has made an impact on the embedded market with the hardware form factors.

Last edited by matthey on 21-Jul-2021 at 01:06 AM.
Last edited by matthey on 21-Jul-2021 at 01:04 AM.

matthey 
Posted on 21-Jul-2021 1:22:28
#136 ]
Elite Member

geen_naam Quote:

In my 20 years of professional life, I've never came across customers or projects where an embedded amigaos would have an advantage over what's already available.

The AmigaOS has some top features important for embedded use like real time capabilities, small footprint and modularity. Talking about using AmigaOS for embedded use is insanity but marketing a desktop Amiga like you want is somehow better? What top desktop features does the AmigaOS support?

matthey 
Posted on 21-Jul-2021 7:38:59
#137 ]
Elite Member

geen_naam Quote:

LOL! Ok, you choose to go back to daydreaming. Have fun.

".... marketing a desktop ...." ? Go reread my post and pay special attention to "disconnected", "surrealistic" and "reality check".

Do you want to produce an Amiga desktop without marketing?

or

Do you want A-Eon and Hyperion to have a "reality check" and stop producing Amigas for the desktop?

Isn't the "disconnected" and "daydreaming" person here the one who payed a premium price for a nonmarketed noncompetitive desktop Amiga?

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 21-Jul-2021 10:15:14
#138 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

Quote:

The AmigaOS has some top features important for embedded use like real time capabilities, small footprint and modularity

This, friend matthey, is the most utterly retarded assertion I've seen being made about AmigaOS in my many, many years of lurking, and single-handedly negates all your purported technical savviness as portrayed by those endless banters on architectures, cpu cycles and whatnot.

Congratulations,
oh friend.

FROM THE DESK OF MEGA_RJ_MICAL
/ Signed Certified and Unedited

Lou 
Posted on 21-Jul-2021 12:47:09
#139 ]
Elite Member

@MEGA_RJ_MICAL

Quote:

MEGA_RJ_MICAL wrote:
Quote:

The AmigaOS has some top features important for embedded use like real time capabilities, small footprint and modularity

This, friend matthey, is the most utterly retarded assertion I've seen being made about AmigaOS in my many, many years of lurking, and single-handedly negates all your purported technical savviness as portrayed by those endless banters on architectures, cpu cycles and whatnot.

Congratulations,
oh friend.

FROM THE DESK OF MEGA_RJ_MICAL
/ Signed Certified and Unedited

I mean we are talking about the guy that sees Gunnar marketing the 080 as having 3DNOW but still believes SAGA is something other than the cpu running code meant for gpu+audio chips...

Last edited by Lou on 21-Jul-2021 at 12:55 PM.

LarsB 
Posted on 21-Jul-2021 16:15:49
#140 ]

@cgutjahr Achim Kern did a good job in the IoT sector. Unfortunately we dont have supported boards for AOS. So we had to rely on Sams if there are more coming, the Tabor if it ever comes or to the X5000 which is pretty expensive.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle