Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 133 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

_ThEcRoW

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 _ThEcRoW:  32 secs ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  19 mins ago
 retrofaza:  20 mins ago
 Rob:  20 mins ago
 OlafS25:  43 mins ago
 Gunnar:  50 mins ago
 Kremlar:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  A recap please
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Samwel 
A recap please
Posted on 3-Jun-2021 19:05:02
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hi, I’m back after about ten years using only Windows..
Have been lurking here now and then but have been missing alot
it seems..

Could someone do a recap of of what has happend with
Hyperion, AmigaOS, trademarks, court battles and whatnot..

To me it seems OS4 core (Hyperion) developers are gone? I’m talking about
the brothers.. There was some grand plans for multi core, 64bit and
some other things.. All this time and it’s still the same?!

Almost everyone seems to hate Hyperion nowadays.. Why?

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Profile     Report this post  
Mobileconnect 
Re: A recap please
Posted on 3-Jun-2021 19:47:01
#2 ]

@Samwel

Well... you missed quite a lot.

The Cloanto guy bought out the old Amiga Inc guys, Bill McEwan and their shareholders. So, there is a new Amiga Inc which effectively owns the trademarks and copyrights. It's a separate company from Cloanto, even if it's the same guy. This is important to note.

Hyperion released a reasonably complete version of OS4 called OS4.1 Final Edition (specifically not called 4.2 for licensing reasons I think)

A-EON released their X1000 PowerPC Amiga and X5000 PowerPC Amiga, and have not yet released their A1222 miniITX PowerPC Amiga but are still working on it. ACube are still around and recently made some new Sam460cr boards and help A-EON with the A1222.

A-EON and/or Trevor, because sometimes he does things in his own name and sometimes in the A-EON name, also started acquiring bits of Amiga related IP, from domain names (they own this forum) to buying the IP for ExecSG, to commissioning new IP in the form of the Enhancer project they work on with AmigaKit of the UK (not to be confused with AmiKit, see below). Enhancer is largely an add on for OS4 with the things it should include but doesn't, most significantly Radeon drivers and a 3D API subsystem to run on it, developed by a guy called Hans in new zealand and paid for by Trevor.

Hyperion managed to piss off their remaining OS4 developers, including Stephen Solie who now works for A-EON in his spare time maintaining ExecSG. The Frieden's are long gone.

However Hyperion also somehow managed to persuade a bunch of OG OS3 devs like Olaf Barthel and Thomas Richter to work on a new version of OS3, and to do it for free but still let Hyperion charge for it, not just for physical ROMs and disks, but even for digital only releases. First they did OS3.1.4 which was a nice bug fix update with some under the hood new features. Then last month 3.2 came out which is a big upgrade and includes Reaction again among many other changes.

The new Amiga Inc maintains that Hyperion doesn't have the rights to do that, and that they also broke the old Amiga Inc/Hyperion settlement agreement by trying to trademark Amiga trademarks in europe in their own name, so they are suing each other in the US courts. But Hyperion's US lawyer is AWOL and Ben Hermans's personal service company that he uses as a proxy for his directorship of Hyperion has been declared insolvent for unpaid taxes and is in administration.

MorphOS still exists, it's superior to OS4 in some ways and inferior in others, but it doesn't run on the A-EON machines (EDIT: apparently the X5000 runs it, but I think it's still missing proper Radeon drivers).

AROS still exists and has mostly met it's goal of reproducing OS3.1. The most interesting version of it is one that runs natively on ARM hardware like rPi but uses a low level 68k VM to remain code compatible with classic Amiga.

There are several companies or hobbyists selling 'new' classic Amigas. Some are new motherboards to replace your old ones that require you to move your custom chips over, but have built in new features and support for modern power supplies, modern monitors etc. Check out ReAmiga and AA3000+ for example. Others are selling FPGA re-implementations of the amiga chips and 68k. Most are trying to emulate Amigas exactly as they were. But the Apollo team Vampire line of products is trying to make the best classic Amiga there can be, as if Commodore had made an A1400 or A4000+ or something back in the day. Their hardware can run real AmigaOS but they also sponsor a fork of AROS called ApolloOS so that they can sell their product without getting caught up in the Amiga Inc/Hyperion crapfest.

The fastest Amiga these days is a WinUAE Amiga which can even run OS4 classic now with PowerPC emulation. FS UAE is the best Mac/Linux UAE version. Raspberry Pis are popular for reproducing that old 'all in one' feel and there are linux distros around that will boot directly into Amiga OS. There are also projects like PiStorm and Buffee to use the raspberry Pi to replace your actual 68K CPU in your classic Amiga.

Speaking of distros, there are lots of 'distros' of AmigaOS these days too which are basically bundled up collections of classic games, shareware, demos, apps, wallpapers etc. Most of them are awful, and all of them contain copyright infringements of one sort or another. Most of them are designed to be used with emulators. AmiKit is the best one. Pimiga is another. AIAB seems to be a dead project I think. There are others around.

EDIT: There are at least 3 homebrew PowerPC laptop projects, 2 of which have Amiga people involved, like ACube and Hans the Radeon drivers guy, but whether any of these ever get an OS4 port is anyone's guess. Shame there's no Raptor Talos II port either...

Last edited by Mobileconnect on 03-Jun-2021 at 09:28 PM.

AmigaOldskooler 
Posted on 3-Jun-2021 19:53:08
#3 ]

@Mobileconnect

Quote:
MorphOS still exists, it's superior to OS4 in some ways and inferior in others, but it doesn't run on the A-EON machines.

MorphOS runs on the AmigaOne X5000 from A-Eon. Also on AmigaOne 500 / Sam 460 from ACube Systems.

Mobileconnect 
Posted on 3-Jun-2021 19:54:07
#4 ]

P.S. SMP, which is only useful on the X5000 as that's the only 2 core machine, apparently exists in beta but only OS4 beta testers have access to it. Memory protection and resource tracking of the sort once promised turn out to not really be compatible with how the Amiga works because of the shared memory message passing model.

Mobileconnect 
Posted on 3-Jun-2021 20:04:29
#5 ]

@AmigaOldskooler

I know it runs on a Sam460ex, i have one here. I also have an X5000. AFAIK MorphOS doesn't run on that.

AmigaOldskooler 
Posted on 3-Jun-2021 20:18:12
#6 ]

@Mobileconnect

You can find information on how to install it on the X5000 on the MorphOS website:

MorphOS Installation

List of supported hardware is here:

MorphOS Supported Hardware

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 3-Jun-2021 20:19:49
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Mobileconnect

Quote:
P.S. SMP, which is only useful on the X5000 as that's the only 2 core machine

No, the X1000 also has a dual core CPU, as well as A1222 machine, also they planed to sell 4 core version of X5000, that has not happened yet, but that be my upgrade path if it ever happens.

I’m also really interested ACube-systems new laptop project, that’s also a real power house.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 03-Jun-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Fl@sh 
Posted on 3-Jun-2021 21:06:30
#8 ]

@Mobileconnect

Great job! In this crazy (amiga)world your summary was useful to me too

Last edited by Fl@sh on 03-Jun-2021 at 09:08 PM.
Last edited by Fl@sh on 03-Jun-2021 at 09:07 PM.

number6 
Posted on 3-Jun-2021 21:49:42
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Amiga Corporation has a scant presence on the net atm, but here:

https://amiga.com/
and
https://twitter.com/AmigaCorp

and some prior usage:
https://twitter.com/mikelabatt?lang=en

amigadave 
Posted on 3-Jun-2021 21:54:53
#10 ]

@Mobileconnect

Good recap summary, except for the couple significant errors about MorphOS and SMP capable systems (if/when SMP is ever completed and released for OS4). Best part of your summary was the fact that it seemed to me to be mostly impartial and didn't include crap that would slant the reader toward supporting either side, of the two parties that are still involved in litigation.

pixie 
Posted on 4-Jun-2021 18:53:04
#11 ]
Elite Member

I would just add that MorphOS was shown running in x86 already

HammerD 
Posted on 4-Jun-2021 19:38:45
#12 ]
Cult Member

@pixie

It was shown awhile ago...I hope it does come out eventually. Amiga time is worse than Elon time :)

BigD 
Posted on 4-Jun-2021 22:34:16
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Many quality Amiga repair technicians are still active in the community and will provide a recap if required

QuikSanz 
Posted on 4-Jun-2021 23:32:42
#14 ]

@BigD'

amigang 
Posted on 5-Jun-2021 8:47:10
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Mobileconnect

even though I kind of know what's going on that was a really nice recap and state of affairs in the Amiga world. Could I use it on my site?

amigang 
Posted on 5-Jun-2021 9:16:13
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

I believe one of the Frieden brothers still does some work for A-Eon. But your kind of right I remember before buying my X1000 being a bit worried about the fact that really a lot of the core work was done by two people I kind of thought if they left the Amiga scene, OS4 would struggle to progress and here we are.

Anyway we are finally seeing updates for AmigaOS4 again after few years of nothing from Hyperion, so it good to see. I think SMP and 64bit support is still the aim of OS4.2 but no one really know how much progress has been made on that, I think the current devs have been focus on porting OS4.1 to the A1222 and all the necessary new drivers that hardware needs.

Hyperion future is seriously in doubt however due to the legal Amiga case, who knows what the future of OS4 will be if they fold. Part of me thinks the only reason they are putting out updates now is they fear they might fold soon so better for the work to be out there now than be locked away for another year of likely legal mess of who owns what of Hyperion.

Add to that the decline in PPC usage, even in the weird markets it was used for, even making PPC license free I don't see has helped and come maybe a bit too late to make the difference to save the CPU. So I feel OS4 being trapped on this architect does not bold well for the future of the platform, what can be done? I dont know and there no easy answers for Os4 fans/supporters. It just a shame really.

Last edited by amigang on 05-Jun-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Mobileconnect 
Posted on 5-Jun-2021 9:43:45
#17 ]

@amigang

Why not write your own. I don't want to be quoted out of context thanks.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 6-Jun-2021 6:56:23
#18 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@Samwel

Quote:

Could someone do a recap of of what has happend with
Hyperion, AmigaOS, trademarks, court battles and whatnot..

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

number6 
Posted on 6-Jun-2021 12:39:33
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Mobileconnect

Quote:
The Frieden's are long gone.

Thomas Frieden is member of the ExecSG team.

If you mean the Frieden's are gone from working for Hyperion, then I have to ask who has access to and is making all the current entries on the Hyperion website.

(certainly -not- Ben)

Mobileconnect 
Posted on 6-Jun-2021 12:56:30
#20 ]

@number6

If you have better information, feel free to share. AFAICT they've been off the scene 10 years or more, and certainly haven't responded to any recent requests to collaborate on, for example, their Python port. If they are still around, they're doing a good job of not showing it.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle